Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

sunlover5

I just yesterday, May 11th, got the El San Juan Hotel for Nov 8th (pre-cruise) - 1 night for $135 plus tax/fees for a total of $164.38. According to priceline info there is a local resort fee payable upon checkout and from what I can tell on El San Juan's website, the fee is 14%. I e-mailed priceline to inquire as to whether the 14% resort fee is based upon my winning bid of $135 or the rack rate at the hotel -- they promptly referred me to the hotel for that question...arg.

I just returned from the Marriotte Stellaris and Resort. I did not have to pay any additional resort fees (on the website I thought it mentioned a resort fee) to those I had paid on priceline.

Never used Priceline and wondering how you go about making a bid for last week of January 2009. We really want the Marriott Stellaris. The site says the average price for a resort at that time is $387. Should I cut my bid in half?

The middle of October is low season, kiddies back in school, hurricanes possible, etc., so you should be able to get a good a deal as any you see on these boards. I would think you could get any Priceline resort for $110 or less a night. You never know, however, if there is a big convention in town or something, but it should be good bargain hunting! Happy bidding!

Remember you can do multiple bids in Puerto Rico because the only 2 areas Priceline has resorts in are San Juan and Rio-Grande-Humacao. So you can just up the price $5 and add any other area accept Rio-Grande-Humacao and re-bid.

Never used Priceline and wondering how you go about making a bid for last week of January 2009. We really want the Marriott Stellaris. The site says the average price for a resort at that time is $387. Should I cut my bid in half?

You cant pick a specific hotel with Priceline. With that said all the resorts in San Juan are decent to excellent. Caribe Hilton and Intercontinental are 2 hotels that are frequently won on Priceline. So while you could end up with the Marriott, there is also a good chance you wont.

It always best to start out bidding low. Since there are so many free rebid zones you can bid multiple time a day. I won Intercontinental with a bid of $150 for a 1/19/09 stay. I started at $120.

Biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com are great reference threads for people new to priceline and hotwire.

Good Luck

Thanks for the great info and tips. I think I will book through the Marriott directly and take my chances with Priceline. At least I have until one day prior to the cruise to cancel with the Marriott without a penalty, but the prices in January are outrageously high. With taxes in it comes to around $366/nt.

You cant pick a specific hotel with Priceline. With that said all the resorts in San Juan are decent to excellent. Caribe Hilton and Intercontinental are 2 hotels that are frequently won on Priceline. So while you could end up with the Marriott, there is also a good chance you wont.

It always best to start out bidding low. Since there are so many free rebid zones you can bid multiple time a day. I won Intercontinental with a bid of $150 for a 1/19/09 stay. I started at $120.

Biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com are great reference threads for people new to priceline and hotwire.

Good Luck

I just bid on Priceline and scored the Marriott Stellaris for $115, one night on Sept 27th! :) That was WAY to fun! :p Can't wait to do it again!

I also want to thank Toonjie for all your helpful tips!!!!! You rock! :cool:

If you bid on one of these sites, and they accept your bid, do you HAVE to accept the hotel and pay on the spot, or do they make you pay frist so you can't reject the offer?

Yes, once you click on "book my room" you are locked in. That's why the sites I mentioned are so helpful.

They can help you determine which hotels are likely to show up on Priceline based on the star level you bid. I normally only bid 3* and above.

I have used Priceline almost 100 times without incident. Its a great way to save money and get a great hotel.

drakes2

Yes, its a good idea to book up a room you can cancel, then you can do some bidding on Pricelince and not worry about not having anything to fall back on.

I just returned from the Marriotte Stellaris and Resort. I did not have to pay any additional resort fees (on the website I thought it mentioned a resort fee) to those I had paid on priceline.

Thanks for that information cruisintwinsmom. Can I ask if your Priceline.com confirmation page mentioned any "resort fees" which would be payable directly to the hotel? Hopefully the San Juan Resort has the same policy as the Marriott does -- meaning no resort fee.

Tex,

I called priceline again yesterday because I never got a response from 3 weeks ago :mad: They have no clue why they state 11% but the ESJ website says 14%. Although they called the hotel and confirmed that it is indeed 14%. So now they said (again) that I will receive an email response in 5 business days...I'll believe it when I see it :rolleyes: But they did transfer me to a supervisor so we'll see.

Did you see Toonjie's comments about our hotel? Looks good :D

Thanks for that information cruisintwinsmom. Can I ask if your Priceline.com confirmation page mentioned any "resort fees" which would be payable directly to the hotel? Hopefully the San Juan Resort has the same policy as the Marriott does -- meaning no resort fee.

My hotel receipt from Priceline does NOT mention anything about resort fees, but I was halfway expecting them anyway. There was a news feature on TV not too long ago that spoke about the "resort fees", so I thought it might a given. Was pleasantly surprised.

Have a great trip.

I just booked on priceline today for October and got Marriott for 115.00.

This is the first time I ever used price line. I was wondering if when you use price line if you get the rooms with the worst view for example or what type of room this is going to be.

I just booked on priceline today for October and got Marriott for 115.00.

This is the first time I ever used price line. I was wondering if when you use price line if you get the rooms with the worst view for example or what type of room this is going to be.

I have never felt like I was given a room with a bad view because I used priceline. If the hotel has rooms with a bad view someone will have to get it, but I dont know that using priceline or any other hotel discount service will automatically put you in that bad view room.

In the end it just depends on who is working the front desk when you check in. They have all the power, regardless of how you book the room. Also, if you go up and see the room and you dont like it you can "ask" for a different room.

Many also will email or call the hotel and make requests for double beds or a nice oceanview.

Most hotels will do their best to accommodate guests, no matter how you booked the room. I know some people will go in demanding this and that and the person working the front desk can easily decide that those people wont get anything they demand.

I posted this before, but I will say it again. After you win the hotel go and sign up for their members program. While they arent supposed to give you credit for a priceline stay, I think it does go a long way when you are checking in. I just hand it to them with my credit card. Sometimes they hand it right back, at times they have given me credit for my stay, other times they actually upgraded me.

Some have also paid for an upgrade after checking in, so that is another option to try if you want a much better room.

I just got the El San Juan for Novermber with a bid of $136...maybe too high...but what I wanted to say is that Priceline is supposedly a prepaid room, so regardless of what the website says, you should not have to pay anything extra. We were just in Venice at a Priceline hotel and owed nothing upon checking out.

I just got the El San Juan for Novermber with a bid of $136...maybe too high...but what I wanted to say is that Priceline is supposedly a prepaid room, so regardless of what the website says, you should not have to pay anything extra. We were just in Venice at a Priceline hotel and owed nothing upon checking out.

Right before you submit your bid you have to agree to the following:

The reservation holder must present a valid photo ID and credit card at check-in. The credit card is required for any additional hotel specific service fees or incidental charges or fees that may be charged by the hotel to the customer at checkout. These charges may be mandatory (e.g., resort fees) or optional (parking, phone calls or minibar charges) and are not included in your offer price.

So, properties can charge additional fees to priceline customers.

Just looked at my Priceline confirmation and see there is a resort fee supposedly charged....anyone been at the El San Juan and had to pay this?? Don't remember Priceline alerting bidders to this possibility....but it must be there in their documentation...have used Priceline multiple times and must admit I am somewhat careless.

Just looked at my Priceline confirmation and see there is a resort fee supposedly charged....anyone been at the El San Juan and had to pay this?? Don't remember Priceline alerting bidders to this possibility....but it must be there in their documentation...have used Priceline multiple times and must admit I am somewhat careless.[/quote

These "resort" fees are starting in get very popular. I think the advice of people saying that at check-in look at what the resort fee includes and then calmly "fight" the charge.

These "resort" fees are starting in get very popular. I think the advice of people saying that at check-in look at what the resort fee includes and then calmly "fight" the charge.

Nothing really new about the resort fees, Resorts have been doing that for decades. At some, yes, you can opt out, wouldnt be a fight, either they will let you or they wont.

Tex,

I called Priceline again today since I still hadn't gotten a response to the resort fee %. They have it in my record now that they are going to refund 3% to my cc after I fax them the hotel bill after our stay. They said their system wasn't updated with the correct %...I imagine now it is :rolleyes:

My biggest gripe isn't even the 3%...although I have 2 rooms for 3 nights...but the fact that I had to call 3 times to get an answer and no one ever emails a response like they say they're gonna :mad:

Oh well...hopefully they will take care of it like they said...we'll see

Tex,

I called Priceline again today since I still hadn't gotten a response to the resort fee %. They have it in my record now that they are going to refund 3% to my cc after I fax them the hotel bill after our stay. They said their system wasn't updated with the correct %...I imagine now it is :rolleyes:

Uh huh......so priceline wants you to prove that you stayed in their non-refundable hotel before they will refund any overcharge. Strange way to do business -- talk about nickel and dimeing a client..:rolleyes: Since you did their homework for them, good customer service should have refunded your entire stay as a gesture of thanks..!:D

And a big thanks to the folks who posted about American Airlines reducing their schedules. I checked my PRN and find where they changed my flights -- to the better..!!:D