Help With Hotel In FLL ... Please!!!!

sbjanke

Husband and I are cruising in three weeks. I had won a bid for Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek on Priceline, but now I am reading some very unfavorable reviews. I am very wary about staying there since we are going to be in Fort Lauderdale from 11am the day before our cruise.

The Fort Lauderdale Grande had a good deal on a Waterway View room for $70.00 so I put a hold on that room, but can cancel. I have never cruised and never been to Fort Lauderdale.

Please help. Any suggestions as to what I should do would be appreciated. We are on a budget a don't want to spend more than say $100.00 dollars. I realize I will lose the money on the Priceline booking, but I don't want to start my holiday off on the wrong note ... hubby and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary.

Thanks,

Sara

Husband and I are cruising in three weeks. I had won a bid for Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek on Priceline, but now I am reading some very unfavorable reviews. I am very wary about staying there since we are going to be in Fort Lauderdale from 11am the day before our cruise.

The Fort Lauderdale Grande had a good deal on a Waterway View room for $70.00 so I put a hold on that room, but can cancel. I have never cruised and never been to Fort Lauderdale.

Please help. Any suggestions as to what I should do would be appreciated. We are on a budget a don't want to spend more than say $100.00 dollars. I realize I will lose the money on the Priceline booking, but I don't want to start my holiday off on the wrong note ... hubby and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary.

Thanks,

Sara

Hi Sara, I have not stayed at that particular Sheraton but

I do know Cypress Creek is quite a few exits north of the port.

When you used Priceline did you know what area you were bidding

on?

I have stayed at The Grand but that was when it was a Marriott.

It was very nice at that time. And it is much closer to the

port I do know that for a fact....a cab ride from the Grand

is about 5.00--7.00. And the Grand is on 17th Street, near

many shops and restaurants.

Maybe Bequia can give you some other insight on

the Sheraton.

This is just an FYI since you said you have never been

to FLL...when bidding on hotels....to be near the port

you need to check "downtown".

I am not going to tell you to cancel your first reservation

but 70 bucks at the Grand is a good price.

Happy Anniversary and have a great cruise:)

I poked around tripadvisor.com, and saw that the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites FT. LAUDERDALE AIR/SEA PORT had good reviews, reasonable rates, and was very convenient to both airport and seaport. We ended up deciding to stay elsewhere, but only because a friend found us a good rate at a Sheraton hotel on the beach.

Another possibility is the Hampton Inn, Plantation: it is inland so no water views but the price is right and they have free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel, back to the Port Everglades and will take you to any location, restaurants whatever within 5 miles of the hotel. NMnita

Go for the Grande. You are so close to some great restarants. The views are beautiful. Always make sure you tell them you are celebrating your anniversary. They try real hard to upgrade you.

The Sheraton at Cypress creek is really a business hotel. Right at the railroad tracks and interstate. Not a quiet place. The rooms are big and they have a atrium lobby, but it really is too far from everthing.

Linda

:)

You won't be disappointed in the Ft. Lauderdale Grande Hotel. Book it. It is lovely and right across the street from the Port. Also within walking distance to drugstores, liquor stores, grocery stores, etc., if you need to pick up any last minute stuff.

I agree. I love the hotel and it's location. Will be staying her for two nights in December and then again in February.

Sara, I've stayed at the Sheraton Cypress Creek many times, most recently in March. It's a solid 3 star property. Rooms have a living area in addition to the bedroom. Lots of restaurants nearby. It's not on the beach but the area is just fine. For one night I can't imagine what you have read that would make you consider paying for another room somewhere.

If this { Florida Grande} is across the street from the port, can you walk to your ship?? If not, how do you get to it, and how far would it be??? Thanks for any info!!!

Hi, the hotel is near the port...but not near enough

to walk. Plus, the port itself is not very "pedestrian friendly".

Remember, security..and its not just cruiseships....industrial vessels

dock there as well.

A cab won't be more than 10 bucks and is much more

convienent.

Actually nobody walks to the ships. Cabs are the way to go

unless you are leaving your car at the port.

I am also looking for a hotel in FLL for one night pre-cruise in March 2007. I have narrowed it down to Hampton Inn-Plantation and the Holiday Inn Express Convention Center.

Would the Hampton Inn be less congested with cruise ship passengers? A bit quieter? I know it is near a large mall and dining within walking distance.

Does the Holiday Inn get noisy/crowded with cruise passengers?

We are coming in on a red-eye flight from Anchorage, AK. We will want to walk around and explore. Just not sure what is the best choice for me, husband and 16 yo daughter.

Thanks!

We stayed at the Grande last week for two nights before our Enchantment cruise. I had seen some mixed reviews so I called the hotel. I was told they were doing a total renovation of the tower, which they were, so only the East and West Villas were available. The manager I spoke with said he would put us in the East Villa since the bedding had already been changed out there. We were pleased with the hotel. There were six of us, so we had three rooms and all of us were pleased. It was clean and the beds were wonderful. My 20 year old son even commented on how comfortable the beds were. They had a nice pool area. There was a beach shuttle offered four times a day and a shuttle to the port. Just tell them the night before and they will schedule you. There was no charge for either shuttle. They do not have a shuttle from the airport, but we were able to get a van at the airport that all six of us with a lot of luggage were able to take. I would stay there again.

Not surprised at all that Hampton Inn is cheaper. It's not as convenient to Port Everglades and other sights in Fort Lauderdale. The Holiday Inn is in a more desirable location for most cruise passengers.

The advantage as we saw it to staying at the Hampton Inn, even though it wasn't as touristy was the free transfers from both the airport and the pier plus the outstanding reviews they got. The price had something to do with it as well. If you were wanted a place for a couple of days it would be one thing, but all you need it for is to sleep and relax prior to your cruise. NMnita

We stayed at the Grande last week for two nights before our Enchantment cruise. I had seen some mixed reviews so I called the hotel. I was told they were doing a total renovation of the tower, which they were, so only the East and West Villas were available. The manager I spoke with said he would put us in the East Villa since the bedding had already been changed out there. We were pleased with the hotel. There were six of us, so we had three rooms and all of us were pleased. It was clean and the beds were wonderful. My 20 year old son even commented on how comfortable the beds were. They had a nice pool area. There was a beach shuttle offered four times a day and a shuttle to the port. Just tell them the night before and they will schedule you. There was no charge for either shuttle. They do not have a shuttle from the airport, but we were able to get a van at the airport that all six of us with a lot of luggage were able to take. I would stay there again.

Was told this week that the tower will not reopen until next spring. I have a room booked now overlooking the port but unfortunately it will not be in the tower.

Our room overlooked the pool area and the rooms on the other side overlooked the marina area. You may be able to see the ships from that side. I walked out the front of the hotel and the ships were right across the street. I think you will enjoy the stay there.

• 1 month later...
Did the Grande used to be.......Renissance Marriott?

Are they part of the Priceline program yet?

thanks

The Grande is the former Marriott Marina. The Rennaisance which is a block west of the Grande has been available on PL for quite awhile, listed under Ft Lauderdale, 4 star, downtown. ;)

Ok,we changed mind about the Grande hotel,nice but pricey.Decided on the Renaissance which is on 17th st.I read on another thread from people who live on Ft.Lauderdale that this is the safest part of town,with lots of resturants and shopping within walking distance.They said STAY from anything on rt 84! The rate for Renaissance showed $309.00,but they do have a government rate of $126.00.I think that is great! My wife does work for the gov,so we just have to show gov id at check in.This rate is for active military and gov employees.So if any of you are active or gov employees,check it out! Looks like a real nice place and reviews are great for this hotel.......Happy Thanksgiving to everyone............Phil

Archived