Framed (Hulled) Balconies & Smoking

Tom O.

Considering booking a framed, or hulled, balcony on Deck 8 of the Star.

Something that attracts me to these balconies, besides the lower price, is that they look to me as if they would be more protected from cigarette smoke from nearby balconies.

My wife and I are bothered a lot by smoke. On our last cruise (Princess) we had a chain smoker next door and our balcony as well as our room was inundated with smoke (we like to leave our balcony door open). But Princess has only thin partitions between balconies. Smoke can easily blow over the top of these partitions.

To those who have stayed in one of these NCL cabins with framed balconies, do you think the the enclosure would keep out smoke from a neighbor?

We were on the Star with a hulled, or framed balcony and there was a smallgap at the top and bottom of the balcony dividers, not a really big gap, but maybe enough to let air (and smoke) flow through. We did not have smokers nearby so I cant give more accurate info on whether this would have allowed smoke to infiltrate our balcony. Hopefully you will not have any smokers adjacent to your area. If so, and you can't reach an agreement with you neighbors or feel you are ingnored, a strong dispensing (entire can at once) of a sickening air freshener scent returns the favor! Happy cruising!:)

If you leave the balcony door open you might hear a whistling under your hallway door, as air is getting sucked in that way. So I think more air gets blasted out the balcony door than in when it is open... I don't think the hulled balcony is going to do much.

It sounds unlikely, but one time I leaning over the railing I got hot ash dumped on me from above. ow

Considering booking a framed, or hulled, balcony on Deck 8 of the Star.

Something that attracts me to these balconies, besides the lower price, is that they look to me as if they would be more protected from cigarette smoke from nearby balconies.

My wife and I are bothered a lot by smoke. On our last cruise (Princess) we had a chain smoker next door and our balcony as well as our room was inundated with smoke (we like to leave our balcony door open). But Princess has only thin partitions between balconies. Smoke can easily blow over the top of these partitions.

To those who have stayed in one of these NCL cabins with framed balconies, do you think the the enclosure would keep out smoke from a neighbor?

In Aug we had a framed balcony and at the front of the ship, the persons next to us did smoke and a few times we could smell it when we were on our balcony, but never in our room. It was not too bad and when we were sailing, never as we were upwind from them.

Hope this helps.:)

We had a hulled balcony on Dawn, and the cabin next to us smoked. You could smell it. There is a big gap at the bottom of the shared divider, and some as the "door" closes. I would think it would be better than a regular balcony though.

I've just tried to train myself to live with this. I too am very bothered by smoke, but I've realized I'm more bothered by letting my perspective ruin my vacation when there is nothing I can do about it. Try it. Mind over matter (well, over smoke anyways).

I've just tried to train myself to live with this. I too am very bothered by smoke, but I've realized I'm more bothered by letting my perspective ruin my vacation when there is nothing I can do about it. Try it. Mind over matter (well, over smoke anyways).

Yes, this is what I did on my last cruise. I didn't let it ruin my cruise and I had a great time.

By the way, my compliments to all you NCL folks. I usually do most of my posting on the Princess board. If I had posted this thread there, I would have at first received some kind replies, but then it would have degenerated into an awful battle between smokers and non-smokers, and would end up being deleted by the moderator.

Thanks to all for the information.

By the way, my compliments to all you NCL folks. I usually do most of my posting on the Princess board. If I had posted this thread there, I would have at first received some kind replies, but then it would have degenerated into an awful battle between smokers and non-smokers, and would end up being deleted by the moderator.
Come on back anytime Tom. I try to never delete whole threads unless absolutely necessary. Individual posts...yeah...that happens. Whole threads...not that often. Besides, the NCL'ers are a pretty good bunch. Just don't bring up dress code or dining wait times! That'll get you in trouble. LOL :D

If you leave the balcony door open you might hear a whistling under your hallway door, as air is getting sucked in that way. So I think more air gets blasted out the balcony door than in when it is open... I don't think the hulled balcony is going to do much.

It sounds unlikely, but one time I leaning over the railing I got hot ash dumped on me from above. ow

WOW:eek: if that is you in your Avatar, with your hair, double OW:D

I believe that is what happened on the Princess ship that caught fire. It is a theory being batted about.

Archived