You're Gonna LOVE the New NCL Look!!!

flyingpirate

Just finished dinner. I had a late seating and oh my gosh I was in my garden clothes - Dockers, polo shirt and a landsend cotton crew sweater. During dinner I had a nostalgia rush from my previous post. When I was winning all those dance contests, I realized that I was wearing one of my favorite cloting items I love to hate. Jeans. Yes folks this "snotty snob as I have been called, was wearing jeans for the dance contests. Of course they were baby blue in color and they perfectly offset my pink long sleve shirt with the rolled Mr. B collar and my white suede loafers. The girls loved the outfit.

That was my one an only pair of jeans I have ever owned. I graduated from college and went to work in the grown up world where at that time people dressed quite nicely for work and when they went out for dinner etc. I worked in NYC and I followed what the society page folks wore at the time. Maybe it is unfortunate but I am in a time warp where my prefered period of time during my life time is the 40's and 50's.

I fully understand that makes me really old by today's youth standard and considering most schools do not teach any history, many people do not have a clue what the 40's and 50's represented except for the bashing done by the liberal establishment who wants no rules and wants people to think they can not aspire for anything greater than what they presently have. I looked at the world and I wanted the very best. While I have fallen far short financially, I have enjoyed much of the very best by living the very best I can. Sorry if folks chosing to be sloppy and lazy upsets me and makes you annoyed when I state my opinion but here I am. One of the best rock 'n rollers before the Beatles killed rock 'n roll still full of the devil but dressed in a nice blazer when I go out to dinner or on a cruise ship because that is the right way to do it in my book. End of story.

Well, then, gracious sir, when you put it that way and not in a borderline condescending, patronizing manner, you make a lot more sense and I agree with you one hundred per cent.

Right now, my DH is in the other room wearing a pair of dockers, a Polo shirt and a cotton crew sweater himiself, absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it's certainly not dinner wear for a nice restaurant.

We have only cruised on NCL, and that is how it has always been for us.....certain of our fellow passengers share a desire for sartorial elegance and some look more at home at a NASCAR race or the back forty. But that's the thing, NCL is for casual cruisers.

We choose them for the luxury accomodations with a fun atmosphere. We can go with Regent or Crystal, (I dropped out of the Junior League for a reason :p) but don't want to dress or slave to the clock on vacation- I don't want to travel with people like my parents. With NCL we have total freedom and don't have to worry about jewelry, wardrobe, etc. I went to formal night in a sequined dress and slippers.

I see your point, I miss the old days, too. My hats and gloves haven't seen daylight in decades......

Maybe it's an East Coast West Coast thing.......

PS> Good rock and roll didn't even start until 1968 and hte Beatles were inconsequential. :p :eek: ooh flame on!

[quote=flyingpirate

PS> Good rock and roll didn't even start until 1968 and hte Beatles were inconsequential. :p :eek: ooh flame on!

Just not possible Allan Freed was gone by then and all the great black groups had been pushed aside in favor of Beatle type music. The sax was far better than the guitar for rock music and Bo Diddley did it with just driums and maracas. Nothing will ever replace, the Jive Five, Harvey and the Moonglows, Louie Lyman and the teencords, The Students and well I could go on all night but it was before your time. Each generation has their own thing.

My hats and gloves haven't seen daylight in decades......

quote]

You need to pull those out and wear then I always wear a dress hat and fine leather gloves when ever I go out in the cooler months. Even at my "advanced age" the girls still love it.

And yes, there are no such things as Dogs, Cats or women. Only puppies, kittens and girls. Keeps one 17 through out your life except for that damned mirror where my dad keeps showing up as I pass by.

I really think it's partly a generational thing. My sisters, who aren't far from your stated age of 67, never wear jeans either. On the other hand, I'm the baby of the family & love jeans. It's due partly to the difference in the dress codes of the different eras.

My sister went to high school in the early 60's and wore dresses to school every day of their lives. By the time I came around, the dress code had been relaxed, and we could wear slacks in junior high, and jeans by the time I was in high school.

Does that make one dress code right, and one wrong? Nope. Just like NCL has done with freestyle, times change. If you prefer to live with the same standards that you were raised with, that's your choice. If that means wearing formal attire on a ship, you have our permission to enjoy yourself by making that choice. But guess what -- I don't have to. It's not my era, it's not my style. That's the true beauty of freestyle. I'm not offended by those folks who choose to dress up, but by the same token, they shouldn't be offended if I choose to dress "resort casual."

Admittedly, it's been over a year since I cruised, and our last cruise was out of Houston, where jeans are permitted in the dining room. My family and I didn't choose to wear jeans at dinner time, but it certainly didn't adversely affect my dining if someone else did.

Hopefully your new cruise line of choice will fit your personality a little better than NCL, because it's obviously not right for you. For me, HAL would be a terrible fit -- for you, it's probably a lot more appropriate.

The most important thing NCL can do is to update their website. Cos it really looks like it's from 1998. Compared to RCCL's it's CRAP!

And the customer service, is it common in america that you call all the companies you want to contact? In europa 99% of that is made by e-mails, there is like no e-mail adresses on NCL's site if you have a question before booking a cruise.

I have seen delightful sites and sites that are easy to navigate. I truly dislike NCL's current website and am so looking forward to something new and innovative. I'd like to be able to look at a specific itinerary and click to get pricing. I hating having to go through answering all the questions before getting there... date, ship, nights, etc. If I'm looking at that specific itinerary, why not take me to it's specific pricing?

I'm excited. Alas, I'll only get to play on the new site for only 2 days before we leave for Istanbul to board the Jewel. Yeeeeeeehaw! (We wear jeans and wez ain't no spring chickens!) bok bok bok

For me the offense is in the implication that those who for whatever reason prefer to dress more formally are somehow superior human beings to those who prefer resort casual.

Tumeroll's signature line, as expressed in a thread on the HAL board discussing how HAL may experiment with "anytime" dining by assigning one level of the dining room for "traditional" and the other for "anytime," is that it will be like "first class and steerage." Sorry, but that's simply offensive and utterly uncalled-for.

I have seen delightful sites and sites that are easy to navigate. I truly dislike NCL's current website and am so looking forward to something new and innovative. I'd like to be able to look at a specific itinerary and click to get pricing. I hating having to go through answering all the questions before getting there... date, ship, nights, etc. If I'm looking at that specific itinerary, why not take me to it's specific pricing?

I'm excited. Alas, I'll only get to play on the new site for only 2 days before we leave for Istanbul to board the Jewel. Yeeeeeeehaw! (We wear jeans and wez ain't no spring chickens!) bok bok bok

Yes, the website is horrible. One of the worst I've ever used by a major corporation. They are quite smart to change it. I look forward to it as well, hopefully with some better pictures that are formatted correctly!

For me the offense is in the implication that those who for whatever reason prefer to dress more formally are somehow superior human beings to those who prefer resort casual.

Tumeroll's signature line, as expressed in a thread on the HAL board discussing how HAL may experiment with "anytime" dining by assigning one level of the dining room for "traditional" and the other for "anytime," is that it will be like "first class and steerage." Sorry, but that's simply offensive and utterly uncalled-for.

Most of the foul utterance from that mans mouth reak with the same arrogant (or much much better put "Snotty McSnotface-ness") attitude. But PlanersEdge has it right, ignore the guy and lets get back to being hyped up about the NCL product identity launch.

I for one, REALLY cannot wait for the new website, while shoreguy may navigate with ease, I think its a pain in the neck. I haven't really been to any major cruise lines websites, but I've looked at those like Costa, Marco Polo, EasyCruise (really good site actually), and some others just for kicks and giggles. I think it would be ten times easier to book a cruise on one of those lines rather than on NCL if one were to book by website.

Considering the fact that over 90% of Americans have never been on a cruise for one reason or another, I personally believe that NCL's new advertising campaign is going to be a boom for business. I have clients who are lawyers and other professionals who have said they don't want to cruise because when they're on vacation that don't want to dress up. I believe that the other mass market lines are going to have to eventually kill some of the traditions if NCL is successful and starts to take away market share from them because of it.

I gotta agree. I have friends who never cruised until we took them with us on an NCL cruise 3 years ago and now they're on an NCL cruise every year just because of the freestyle concept. They had not wanted to dress up or have set meal times so once they found out they could cruise without that, they were hooked.

Good to see you made it back o.k. Sure wish we were back on the Star with that great weather we all shared in Alaska.

You mention of leaving your lap top and carry on at the dock and then finding it kept safe and sound gave me a chuckle. Gwynn inadvertently left his MBNA Norwegian CC behind in a restaurant at Pike Place Market. Discovered it was missing about 2 hours later when paying for our Ride the Ducks adventure. Called the restaurant, they hadn't found it. Called MBNA, no one had used the card so we didn't ask to cancel it at that time.

Several hours later we were wandering around Pike Place again and had a hankerin' for another Pike brew. Stopped by the restaurant for a drink, asked about our missing credit card -- and it was waiting on us, safe and sound.

Hope to sail with you again on another NCL ship.

Dianne

The link does work, I guess we don't need the pin number.

I just watched it, it is very cute. I especially like all the formal diners coming down the staircase. I would love to hear a catchy theme song like Carnival's Beyond the Sea.

Archived