You're Gonna LOVE the New NCL Look!!!

flyingpirate

I loved the commercial, anyone know which ship they are showing in the second half of the commercial?

I can't wait until the new website!

And Thank Goodness for Freestyle. I had never cruised before I did on NCL a few years ago. I don't own a dress or heels and did not want to have to go and buy clothes I will not wear again just for a vacation. I work for a construction company so I do not have to dress up too much for work and my husband wears a uniform. With Freestyle I had to buy a couple pairs of dockers for him, but other than that I could use my existing wardrobe. I don't own jeans so couldn't wear them in the dining room anyways. I alway enjoy a meal more if I am confortable. My husband and I don't want to do anything but freestyle!

The link does work, I guess we don't need the pin number.

I just watched it, it is very cute. I especially like all the formal diners coming down the staircase. I would love to hear a catchy theme song like Carnival's Beyond the Sea.

The idea of the drums at the beginning was to get the "feel' of regementation....ya know, a marching band;) then it shifted to a more relaxing theme.

As having cruised nothing but NCL, does the traditional dining venue have lines waiting to be seated or do you go directly to your assigned table?

Everyone stands outside the dining room in a HUGE crowd:eek: ....then they open the doors and everyone piles in pushing and shoving:eek: (a little exaggeration here;) ) you find your table and there is a rush for the waiter to get your order so he can get it in to the kitchen so everything can be brought out at once.:p

If you are at first seating they rush you out so they can get prepared for second seating. Second seating may not get done until 11p.

As you can tell.....I am not a fan of traditional cruising:rolleyes:

PS.forgot to add they close the doors after about 15 min. and you can`t get in.

We got the email commercial, too. Don't know if there is more than one floating around. The one I viewed had people constantly looking at their watches. Very cute!

We sailed on Windstar prior to NCL mainly due to the "open seating" at night. Bob simply would not go on one of the main lines with the set dining times & tablemates. Now we love freestyle!

We're probably in the 30% or so minority who do dress up, simply because we enjoy it. That said, he didn't like on Celebrity (which we tried after several NCL cruises) being told what to wear, when.:eek:

Like Seahorse said, there's the big rush into the dining hall to be seated. And that's what we ended up doing on X - sitting there not knowing any better while those around us had mounds of parmesan cheese "specially ordered" and those on the other sides had peppers & olives greeting them.

Our waiter would not even consider taking orders until all this pre-eating eating took place.:eek:

On top of it, if we skipped a course like salad, guess what? Had the pleasure of warming our chairs longer while others around us had their salad. The waiter told us he couldn't "rush ahead."

After 14 nights of this, it was pretty tiring. I'll trade the opportunity to have wonderful tables for 2 on NCL or eat rather spontaneously with new friends. Or join a ready-formed table if we're feeling chatty. Just love the choice.

We also love being able to sit in the cabin until it's time to leave. Just amazes me when I'm on NCL and I see everyone rushing to a public lounge @ 8:00 am. It may take them a cruise or two to realize part of the "free" in freestyle is the ability to enjoy your stateroom till the end instead of sitting somewhere on a window seat.

Can't wait to see more commercials.:D

Just had the cutest desk clock fedexed from NCL........blue fish for the time going one way....and a white fish on the second hand going another:D There is a DVD too have to look at it.

Thanks for the heads up on the cutest clock. I'll be watching E-bay for a chance to buy one over the next few months.;)

Dianne

seahorse and snorklin'barb

Thanks for the insight, now I know what we are not missing. I cannot fathom traditional dining. Maybe a picture of robots would be a good start.

I saw the watches and clock watchers and wondered why people would cruise to watch the clock and not enjoy the view of water, water everywhere:rolleyes: .

Thanks again.:)

Thanks for the heads up on the cutest clock. I'll be watching E-bay for a chance to buy one over the next few months.;)

Dianne

Got my clock yesterday, we get rid of most of the stuff the cruise lines send, don't have enough room for it, but I did take that home, wife is a elementary school teacher and I thought it would look cute in her classroom. I jokingly said that I could probably sell it on Ebay in a couple years for a lot of money:)LOL

Uhh... no armani... its not good enough for our bitter old friend Snobby McSnotface

LOL! Snobby McSnotface!:D I have to remember that one. ;)

About the commercial....I would love to know what ship has those comfy orange lounge chairs and foot rest they showed by the pool. I certainly never saw them on any ship before. Bet they put them in just for the commercial to make it look better. Hmm! :rolleyes:

LOL! Snobby McSnotface!:D I have to remember that one. ;)

About the commercial....I would love to know what ship has those comfy orange lounge chairs and foot rest they showed by the pool. I certainly never saw them on any ship before. Bet they put them in just for the commercial to make it look better. Hmm! :rolleyes:

Jewel Courtyard Villa area :D Get out your checkbook:eek:

Jewel Courtyard Villa area :D Get out your checkbook:eek:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it, where are those chairs? That's just not right on NCL part. IMO they should show what most cruises will see and use not what a few can afford.

Looks wonderful but someone seeing this and booking a cruise and then not seeing those type of chairs this could be an issue for some.

For the reader who asked how traditional dining works (dwrist):

Having cruised other cruiselines more than NCL, I would say that after the dining room opens at the seating time, you go to the assigned table. On Princess Personal Choice, you either make a reservation for the main dining room or just go at the time you wish to eat. In the latter case, you may have to stand in line---similar to my experience with NCL.

Interesting advertisement, but I have never felt regimented on other cruiselines anyway. It is all in one's attitude!

For the reader who asked how traditional dining works (dwrist):

Having cruised other cruiselines more than NCL, I would say that after the dining room opens at the seating time, you go to the assigned table. On Princess Personal Choice, you either make a reservation for the main dining room or just go at the time you wish to eat. In the latter case, you may have to stand in line---similar to my experience with NCL.

Interesting advertisement, but I have never felt regimented on other cruiselines anyway. It is all in one's attitude!

Funny, I have NEVER had to stand in line on an NCL cruise. As far as attitude:confused: If I have to be at dinner at 6:15 or 8:45 or else, I don`t think that is attitude........it is regimentation. Princess Personal Choice is not traditional dining. Traditional dining is a cattle call., nothing less.:)

Funny, I have NEVER had to stand in line on an NCL cruise. As far as attitude:confused: If I have to be at dinner at 6:15 or 8:45 or else, I don`t think that is attitude........it is regimentation. Princess Personal Choice is not traditional dining. Traditional dining is a cattle call., nothing less.:)

Ahh traditional dining.....reminds me of my growing up years where in our household meals were always at a set time. Never changed! If you were not there to eat, not only did you get sent to your room but you did not eat...simple as that! Of course the menu was much smaller, the food quality was much higher, and there was no dress code other than you could not be nude. :D

The second half of my life has been largely spent rebelling against my first half...this is why I love "freestyle" and why when my son was an infant he was not on a set feeding schedule...he eat when he cried for it. Now that he is 37 years old his wife is getting pretty tired of cooking every time he cries.....LOL! Just kidding! ;)

It is not good for you to eat when you are not hungry or to not eat when you are. Makes no sense to me.

you may have to stand in line---similar to my experience with NCL.

I must say I never waited in line on any of my NCL cruises.

I also will add I've loved all my cruises and would sail any of the lines again but the reason I keep going back to NCL is due to freestyle. I hate it when we have to be showered and ready to eat at 5 pm or I'm hungry and I have to wait till 8 pm or what ever time we are assigned you are always looking at your watch and many times we have had to stop short what we were doing to get ready for an early seating. So yes I would agree I felt regimented.

As a matter of fact the only lines I have ever waited in line for a dining room on a cruise was for a late seating with traditional dining.

Yes, I would do it again but only when I couldn't find a NCL ship going where I wanted to go, then I'm sure I might look towards Princess due to their anytime seating. It's just how a vacaction is met to be for me free to eat when and where I want.

You are right, Princess Personal choice is not traditional dining. I didn't mean to imply that it was. I do think that the advantage of Personal Choice over Freestyle as relates to main dining rooms is that one can make a reservation if desired with Personal Choice. On the Dawn last November [11 nighter], we had to wait in line for most of the nights we chose to eat in one of the 3 dining rooms. That is the truth of what we experienced, not an attitude. I am glad that you haven't had to deal with that---and I hope that we don't on our upcoming Sun cruise!

I just do not agree that traditional dining is a cattle call; each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. To me there are advantages to having the same tablemates and waiters throughout a cruise. That is the beauty of having choices in cruiselines!

You are right, Princess Personal choice is not traditional dining. I didn't mean to imply that it was. I do think that the advantage of Personal Choice over Freestyle as relates to main dining rooms is that one can make a reservation if desired with Personal Choice. On the Dawn last November [11 nighter], we had to wait in line for most of the nights we chose to eat in one of the 3 dining rooms. That is the truth of what we experienced, not an attitude. I am glad that you haven't had to deal with that---and I hope that we don't on our upcoming Sun cruise!

I just do not agree that traditional dining is a cattle call; each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. To me there are advantages to having the same tablemates and waiters throughout a cruise. That is the beauty of having choices in cruiselines!

I am confused:confused: If you like traditional why are you going on the Sun?

Also confused about the waiting in line? If there is a "line" to get into a restaurant have them call ahead to another restaurant and see if there are any openings....or put in your reservation and go and have a drink.

It is what it is........a cattle call. What would you call 500 or so people waiting for the doors to open for dinner?

I do hope that you enjoy the Sun and learn to be more flexible. That is what Freestyle is about:)

It is what it is........a cattle call. What would you call 500 or so people waiting for the doors to open for dinner?

Or worse...1200 people wearing the required dress for the evening mooing...I mean moving...through the passageways heading for the trough...I mean dining room.

Archived