Question about Noordam balconies

Rina's Mom

Good morning!

Is it possible to have the steward open the balcony divider between 2 staterooms on the Noordam? And, if it is possible, can it be closed again by the passenger, or does it have to be closed by the steward?

We're traveling with friends and want to share the balconies sometimes, but also want some privacy ;) .

Thanks,

Barb

Yes, the dividers can be opened between the balconies, but I don't believe you are able to close them yourself. The whole divider does not open up, just a small part of it and locks open. This is how our suite worked on the Zuiderdam, the Noordam could be different, but I don't think so.

The steward will open it for you. You have the capability of closing it yourself, but locking it closed is another problem. If you can't latch it down, it will start to slam in the wind. You may be able to secure it by putting a chair up against it, but is only so good in a stiff wind. Now, the latch is operated by a square key...nothing fancy. All you would have to do is find something to fit the hole, and twist to lock......On one cruise, when we did not request to have it open, it began banging in the wind, apparently not latched down properly at some ungodly hour. I found that the corkscrew provided in the cabin fit the bill. IIRC, there is the small "knife" on it used to cut the label. It is not perfect, but will work with a little persistance. Possibly even a regular key might work, as long as you can get it to fit and catch properly. I have read here that the corkscrews don't work well for the wine, so this is an alternate use!

Thanks a lot for your answers. I was afraid that we'd need the steward. I guess we could leave it closed then try the corkscrew trick to see if we could open it. We may have to have a talk with our friends (who want the door open)...We like to keep the drapes open whenever possible, but things could get a little... uh...awkward :eek:!

Just wondering. Do all balcony dividers open or just between those connecting staterooms.

I have 2 other staterooms next to mine that are my parents and in-laws. Opening them up means I now have a huge balcony. If I can close them myself with a square key then I won't have to bother the steward.

Yes, the dividers can be opened between the balconies, but I don't believe you are able to close them yourself. The whole divider does not open up, just a small part of it and locks open. This is how our suite worked on the Zuiderdam, the Noordam could be different, but I don't think so.

Hi there: Does the "small part" mean you can open up the divider but you can't walk across to the balcony next door?

Good morning!

Is it possible to have the steward open the balcony divider between 2 staterooms on the Noordam? And' date=' if it is possible, can it be closed again by the passenger, or does it have to be closed by the steward?

We're traveling with friends and want to share the balconies sometimes, but also want some privacy ;) .

Thanks,

Barb[/quote']

Having another usage now with duc tape.. it does hold quite a bit and you may use the small table to keep it closed in moments of privacy need..

As in Holland if the drapes are closed then something is going on ...

Yes we leave our curtains open too..

We have had verandas all connected and it is a lot nicer than just one small space..

May your ship be well and enjoy the time spent thats what is meant.:cool:

Hi there: Does the "small part" mean you can open up the divider but you can't walk across to the balcony next door?

I'd say it's about 1/3 the depth of the balcony ... about 1.5 feet. Under 200 pounders can get by easily but above that it gets to be a squeeze by. I'll look later to see if I have a pic I can post. :o

All of them do. That's the way the deck hands get access to do maintenance ... such as varnishing the railings.

I am assuming they only do that kind of maintenance in between cruises. or may be in the middle of the night:eek: :eek:

I'd say it's about 1/3 the depth of the balcony ... about 1.5 feet. Under 200 pounders can get by easily but above that it gets to be a squeeze by. I'll look later to see if I have a pic I can post. :o

Thanks would really love to see one. I do hope you have one for a V-class ship as I am going on the Noordam in less than 9 days.

I am assuming they only do that kind of maintenance in between cruises. or may be in the middle of the night:eek: :eek:

There really isn't any "between cruises" on a cruise ship.

That kind of maintenance is done during the day, usually when a ship is in port. More public areas, and more toward the inside of the ship, are done while the ship is at sea.

NOPE! I came back to our cabin one afternoon, smelled varnish, and saw 3 men out on our verandah doing the railing. I sat down on the bed and turned on the TV. In a few minutes one of the men opened the glass door and came into the room! When he spotted me he blurted a quick apology and went back out again. They worked their way down the balcony, and I locked our door.

I don't know how they got ever got back in, if our room is how they got out there! We were on the 8th floor of the Westerdam, not far from the bridge, so maybe they got back in through the officers' quarters forward of us. :eek: :eek: :eek:

In a few minutes one of the men opened the glass door and came into the room! When he spotted me he blurted a quick apology and went back out again.

Doesn't it make sense that they should knock first, before going into a cabin? As Rina's mom said, it could be, um, awkward. :eek: :D ;)

Thanks would really love to see one. I do hope you have one for a V-class ship as I am going on the Noordam in less than 9 days.

Oh yeah, I fogot to answer this. I went through all of the pix I had taken on Westerdam and Noordam verandahs, and found a couple that would give you an idea ... but being I can't figure out how to include them here!! Send your email address to me at jothla@bellsouth.net and I'll email them to you!

:D :D

Oh yeah, I fogot to answer this. I went through all of the pix I had taken on Westerdam and Noordam verandahs, and found a couple that would give you an idea ... but being I can't figure out how to include them here!! Send your email address to me at jothla@bellsouth.net and I'll email them to you!

:D :D

Thanks. Rather than sending you an email, I thought I just give you my address here

For my email address, just add my screen name to @rogers.com

Thanks

We have often had maintenance done on the balcony and EVERY time, we have received a note the day before telling us what work was scheduled and when.

Yes, we got a notice and I think it even gave a time span, so I wasn't surprised to see the men out there ... but I WAS surprised when one walked in! And so was he to see me! I think they had gone out through our door and just had forgotten that maybe the cabin was no longer empty. It was no biggy. If I had wanted privacy I would have told them I was there and at least closed the drapes, if not locked the door. :o

Our last cruise was on NCL, and they were working on the railings on our deck for 2-3 days. We were never given any kind of notice. Luckily, whatever they were doing usually began several cabins down from us and was loud enough to give us some warning!

Gee, I had forgotten about that experience...I'm not sure whether or not I'm glad to be reminded...

I guess there's really no such thing as absolute privacy on a cruise ship. Probably best I remember that!

Barb

We also had notice on our Noordam cruise in July. Twice! The card was on our bed the night before. They varnished the veranda railings two times during our 10-day sailing. I was out enjoying the veranda early one morning when a steward was coming from aft unlocking all of the partition doors. It looked neat to gaze back down the ship and see all the doors open.

Archived