What Major Areas can HAL Improve On?

Sea King

I think the Sea of Cortez cruises are too long for us. DH cannot be away more than 16-17 days. We would never dream of doing a cruise without a pre cruise day and a post cruise day. I don't want any more travel stress than absolutely necessary. I prefer coming in 2 days ahead but will do a one day pre, if ncessary.

The Sea of Cortez are 10 days cruises.

Specifically which Mexican ports do you like enough to make the trip worth it, Gizmo?

I loved Puerta Vallarta. Since I did an excursion then lunch, which was really more like dinner (best shrimp I ever had) I want to return and see more of the town. ( and have lunch again. )

We had a grand time in Maztlan. We had a driver for the day in a pulmonia.

I loved Zihuatanejo. It was like old Mexico. I never bothered to see Ixtapa.

Acapulco was ok. It is not on my list of 'gotta go back' but if the ship stopped there it would be ok.

Cabo was ok. After going to the glass blower's I was going to shop but it was so hot, you couldn't do much walking around.

Audrey in the UK, Alot of us in the US would like your idea.

I personally love to fly to London vs. other european cities; it's less expensive and it's a shorter flight.

I would love to have more cruises out of London in Northern Europe toward Russia, maybe stay in UK/Norway/Iceland areas, and going south.

Yes, you have a great idea!

I loved Puerta Vallarta. Since I did an excursion then lunch, which was really more like dinner (best shrimp I ever had) I want to return and see more of the town. ( and have lunch again. )

We had a grand time in Maztlan. We had a driver for the day in a pulmonia.

I loved Zihuatanejo. It was like old Mexico. I never bothered to see Ixtapa.

Acapulco was ok. It is not on my list of 'gotta go back' but if the ship stopped there it would be ok.

Cabo was ok. After going to the glass blower's I was going to shop but it was so hot, you couldn't do much walking around.

We loved Mazatlan - better than any other Mexican port. Willamstadt in Curacao or Isla de Margarita in Venezuela were similar Caribbean ports - real cities wherre tourism isn't the big money maker so thee's a less frenzied experience for the visitor. Cabo is nice in a Key West sort of way. Puerto Vallarta didn't impress us at all - more like Cancun than any west Mexican port. And San Diego - just my favorite city to visit in the US (well, at least now that we live near San Francisco :rolleyes:)

Since we have experienced it on another line, we'd like HAL to have interactive TV, in the staterooms, to book shore excursions, view your account, etc.

Also, wouldn't it be nice to be able to follow along, on some of the cruises our favorite ships are taking, by being able to access their web-cams, like other lines have available?

....Isla de Margarita in Venezuela were similar Caribbean ports...

Good morning, Dave-

Tell me..... how was the water clarity at Isla de Margarita? I've been tempted to do an all-inclusive land vacation there, but have heard mixed reviews about the beaches. (I'm a beach-freak). Do you suppose that I'd be disappointed?:)

1) Improve the Website and keep it running!

If HAL needs someone who knows what they're doing, I have a couple friends who would love to work for them...

2) Take control of the onboard shops!

This is currently contracted out and most of the selection is crap.* We don't sail a premium line to shop for "Made in China" junk that we can buy in the ports.* Get some real merchandise that's worthy of being aboard HAL - Luxury Sells!* (Tumi, Elemis, Rosenthal, Frette, Droste, Stephen Card prints - See a connection here???)

3) Keep your Call Center Reps informed!

Nothing worse than calling a rep and knowing more about their business than they do.* They have computers in front of them:* There should be updates flashing on their screen when big stuff is happening, and Daily Updates that they have to read before they log-in to take the first call of the day.

4) Quit trying to be all things to all people!

CCL needs to understand that different market segments are attracted to their different brands for different reasons.* Follow a derivative of the old GM or current Toyota/Scion/Lexus strategy:* Bring 'em in with Carnival then grow with them & their Active Families on Princess, go Sporty and Italian on Costa, go Exploring in Elegance on HAL, & go for Glamour on Cunard.

I dont think any of these will cost much money, but will certainly serve to enhance their profits.

I just don't see where this "premium" class comes from. HAL like most of the lines we frequest is just part of the Mass Marketed cruise industry. I know, both HAL and Celebrity are listed in the premium class but really aren't much different than any other lines. The rest of what you say, I agree with; as for customer service, this is a complaint we all have about all cruise lines. NMnita

I just don't see where this "premium" class comes from. HAL like most of the lines we frequest is just part of the Mass Marketed cruise industry. I know, both HAL and Celebrity are listed in the premium class but really aren't much different than any other lines. The rest of what you say, I agree with; as for customer service, this is a complaint we all have about all cruise lines. NMnita

IMO...the Premium part comes from the wonderful service we get on HAL ships. Having sailed Princess about 5 times, there is no comparison to the service we have always enjoyed on HAL vs. the non-service we often got on Princess. The last time we sailed Princess (which is probably the last time we will sail Princess), we were in the largest Suite back-to-back on Sun Class Ship. Very beautiful room and very comfortable but terrible service.

If I recall correctly, it has been a great many years since you sailed HAL....hopefully, on your upcoming cruise, you will experience the excellent service and will agree that is what makes HAL better than the rest....IMO....IMO....IMO.....

Someone else's opinion may vary and that is fine. But, I that is My opinion and my personal experience.

I agree 100%. While I understand, and maybe to some extent agree with HAL's decision not to sail the Caribbean during high hurricane season, I can't for the life of me understand why just about all of their Caribbean itineraries are the basic seven-day ones (even the Noordam coming in from New York is still a basic seven-day Caribbean cruise. The remainder of the days are transit to/from New York. Princess has some wonderful Caribbean itineraries that are 14-dayers, leaving from Florida and making about eight different port stops. I can't find anything similar on HAL ... --rita

Rita as other have stated the "Ryndam" is operating 3 Southern Caribbean cruises from Tampa in Nov. Dec..with 8 great port stops & lots of sea days..Two Port stops Dominica & Isla de Margarita seem exciting to us...Also believe the "Veendam" has a couple of 14 day cruises to the Southern Caribbean in Dec & Jan..I also wish they offered more 14 day cruises..Betty

About Noordam's roundtrip New York to the Caribbean cruises: I've noticed several times Noordam's 11 day itinerary out of New York being described as just a normal 7 day Caribbean with 'travel time' to get there and back. While the ports may be about the same as a 7 day Caribbean cruise out of FLL, I might mention that there are many of us who consider the ship a more important destination than most of the ports it calls at (for a Caribbean cruise). European cruising is different.

We are very much looking forward to those four days that are 'sort of' brushed off. Those four sea days are what make that such an appealing cruise for us (in addition to it being Noordam and sailing from New York ) They could be about the best part of our cruise, for us. ;)

Good morning, Dave-

Tell me..... how was the water clarity at Isla de Margarita? I've been tempted to do an all-inclusive land vacation there, but have heard mixed reviews about the beaches. (I'm a beach-freak). Do you suppose that I'd be disappointed?:)

I didn't spend much time near a beach, but the (very small) one next to the dock seemed fine (I only saw it from the bar) and the ones on the north side of the island seemed almost pristine as we were driving by. Water clarity, though, can be very changeable (as you know) based on the current, or recent, weather and I've only stopped there once.

There's some good pictures at http://www.casatrudel.com/scuba-diving-snorkeling.htm which might help you..

The Ryndam will be doing the Sea of Cortez in 2007 on these dates:

Feb 21; Mar 3, 13, 23; Apr 2, 12, 22; Oct 11, 21, 31; Nov 10.

We found that in November the Mexican area is cooler and less humid.

Hey Yonnie; we'll be on the 23 Mar 07 cruise; you ought to join us;)

I am a loving grandma. When I take a vacation I want to bring something home to the kids. I wished I could have bought a ship of some sort. A bath toy, a model, or a ship lego set. If it had Hal logo on it it would have been even better. The only toys I found on the ship were stuffed animals which I feel are a big waste of money.

Archived