Boston Tour and Airport Transfer Question?

jeffyd

My wife and I will be coming back into Boston on the Maasdam and our flight does not leave until 3:30 PM. I saw that HAL offers an excursion of a Boston tour with an Airport transfer. I wondered if anyone has even taken that and whether it was worth it? (I don't know the price because the brochure just said you can only book it once you're on the ship.) Wondered if anyone else had ideas about what we can do in Boston before heading to the airport. We've never been to Boston before. The other issue is what to do with our luggage while we're going on a tour (that's why I was thinking the HAL excursion may be best). Thoughts? Thanks!

jeffyd - I don't know the answer to your question because I spent one day post cruise in Boston a few weeks ago, after getting off the Maasdam, but I want to encourage you to see the city of Boston. It is fabulous. I loved it.

Maybe bumping this up will get you some answers :).

Marie

If HAL will hold your luggage and get you to the airport at least 2 hours before your flight time, then definitely take their tour. It will be perfect if you've never been to Boston before. Boston is our favorite city!! Security checks are very, very stringent at Logan Airport, so be sure to be ready to remove your shoes and allow enough time for the security delays. You didn't mention when you will be arriving in Boston, but don't forget that the Democratic Convention will be in full swing the end of July. That may change everything. My son lives in Boston and says it will be quite hectic and the airport will experience even more delays..

If you were on your own, you would have time to view the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides)....America's oldest battleship. You could see the JFK Library or the Aquarium. Go to Fanueil Hall (properly pronounced Fannel Hall) or to to the North End and see Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church. These are just a few of a very many things there are to do in Boston. We have a very historic, easily walkable City.

BUT.....the problem is your luggage. Unless you can find someplace to store it, you are best off taking the ship's sponsored tour.

We live next to Boston and love it! I wish we could afford to live in Back Bay district some day. ;)

Check this http://www.cityofboston.gov/ Check Freedom trail.

http://www.boston.com/travel/boston/fodors/boston_sights_by_name_1/

I would definitely try trolley tour or Duck tour.

http://www.bostontours.us/?OVRAW=duck%20tour&OVKEY=duck%20tour&OVMTC=standard

My favorite place is Quincy Market...

Quincy Market

Bordered by Clinton, Commercial, and Chatham sts., Boston, MA, USA

Phone: 617/338-2323

Categories: Markets

Across a plaza from Faneuil Hall, the market consists of three block-long annexes loaded with souvenirs, chain stores, and specialty boutiques. The structures, restored in the 1970s, were designed in 1826 by Alexander Parris as part of a public-works project. Today, stalls purveying international and specialty foods -- raw shellfish, sausage-on-a-stick, egg rolls, boutique chocolate-chip cookies -- make this perhaps Boston's best locale for grazing. Quintessential Boston remains here only in Durgin-Park, opened in 1826 and known for its plain decor, surly waitresses, and large portions of traditional New England fare. Mon.-Sat. 10-9, Sun. noon-6. Restaurants and bars generally open daily 11 AM-2 AM; food stalls open earlier. T stop: Haymarket, Government Center, State St.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time in Boston!

You made great suggestions, Tatka.....but what do they do with the luggage?

They can't lug it on the Duck Tour or Walk the Freedom Trail with it.

Uh-oh...I didn't think of it...:o

Well, I'll try to find some info now.

Thank you all for your great replies, it is much appreciated! Because of the luggage, I'm leaning toward the HAL excursion but if you find anything else out Tatka, let me know. Thanks again.

Hi to All...

We did something with our luggage, but you have to promise not to spread this around or it will ruin it for us later. We left our bags at the Water Taxi office, locked up and safe. We walked around Boston, then retrieved our luggage and took the Water Taxi to the Airport Pier, then the free shutttle right to our terminal. The boat ride was excellant and the people at the Water Taxi were so kind to do this for us. Boston has some very friendly people and the city is the easiest place to walk around then any other city I know. Especially, the Italian pastries at Mike's and the food at another place that I will not mention here as I promised the local that took me.

But, if you have any concerns, take the tour as Boston is worth whatever they charge for the tour.....Dennis

Dennis I won't spread it around... but I may have to check it out! That sounds like a great idea... Once I get on the ship, I'll see what HAL's excursion covers and decide then... again, thanks all for your great ideas!

Archived