Diamond Princess v. Oosterdam

brightonguys

We're looking at February Mexican Riviera cruises and wondering about the differences between Diamond Princess and HAL's Oosterdam. We've never sailed with either line before, and we've never been to the Mexican Riviera. The iteneraries are similar, except that on HAL you get to spend all day in Cabo (v. 2:00 pm on Princess) and all night in PV (until 10:00 pm). The ships sound similar in a lot of respects, too. Any input on this choice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

We are going to the Mexican Riviera on March 24. We looked into both the Oosterdam and the Diamond Princess. You've already noted one difference, which is that the Oosterdam spends more time in Cabo. Do you prefer a bigger ship or smaller? The Diamond Princess is bigger (2600 vs. 1848 passengers). The Oosterdam sails out of San Diego and the Princess out of San Pedro. The Oosterdam has traditional dining whereas Princess has both traditional dining and "Anytime Dining". What type of stateroom do you want? I believe that many of the rooms on the Oosterdam are larger. The Diamond Princess has more swimming pools and more entertainment venues, but also more people. There will probably be more children on the Diamond Princess, although if you are going during Spring Break both lines will have more children on board than usual.

I'm sure others will chime in with further observations. It comes down to what you're looking for. We're a family with young children and the Anytime Dining appeals to us. Also, the kids program is closed on port days on HAL, but that may not be issue for you. And last but not least, Princess has recently been running great deals on the Mexican Riviera and Caribbean for January and February, so price became the deciding issue for us. Having said all that, I think both ships are great and you can't go wrong.

I have heard about the great beds on HAL. :) And I have seen the great prices Princess is running for Diamand and Caribbean Princesses. Kids are not an issue, but I do like a bigger ship usually, and I like traditional dining. ALso, not having been to any of those ports before, I'm thinking more time in port might be better. As someone said in another thread . . . if these are the problems we have today, we're okay. Amen!

I've been on Golden P. which is very similar (but not quite identical) to Diamond and on Westerdam (Oosterdam's sister)... Sorry, can't help you...

No, I had a phenomenal room-suite on Westerdam (aft, corner) with more veranda (on both stern and starboard sides) than a shoreside hotel suite interior - amazing. Overall more room than any ship I'd ever been on. But that was merely a choice of booking anomoly. Other than that, I really sort of draw a blank on HAL, no strong impression (good or bad) which is sort of weird. My whole mood was sort of off during that period. Westerdam was nicely appointed generally speaking.

HAL and Princess seemed fairly similar. Princess has better pools of course - than anyone. Hal has a more fixed traditional dining plan... HAL has a more impressing dining room layout than Princess (as do most lines) But! I was NOT that impressed with HAL's servers or dining food. Mind you the food was OK-good-no problem, but the servers were not very english lingual speaking-wise so they weren't too engaging or personable. Polite deferential - yes. The particular servers I had were less well trained in formal dining service than Princess or Celeb crews I've cruised with. I may have been just an server experience luck of the draw thing. Food-Service is such a subjective thing... The overall performance of the crew (and food) was within the subjectivity range of perfectly acceptable... Overall though, the less english lingual aspect of the crew (cabin stewards too) did stand out a bit...

That's my spin. In HAL's favor, I've always thought that time in port was fairly important...

I did that interinary on the Oosterdam, and I am a HAL person. I have not been on Princess, yet, that this in February.

If you are used to HAL, you will find that the Oosterdam does not have usual HAL wide open flowing spaces. But still roomy. As compared to other lines, perhaps you will not notice.

HAL will have traditional music -- jazz, piano jazz, big band pieces. The "O" has a disco, but that is just not the HAL thing.

It does have the wrap-around teak promenade that is featured on all HAL ships.

Tea is served every afternoon.

HAL has fresh flowers everywhere every day.

Mass is said daily, Protestant services are on Sundays and sea days.

My food and food service was fine. Perhaps not quite as on other HAL trips, but not really noticeable.

HAL has all Indonesian staff, and all Filipino crew. And Dutch officers.

Wonderful bed, and great bathroom. Tub with shower. And plenty of room to navigate.

Have sailed on Oosterdam and Caribbean and Sapphire Princess, both similar to Diamond I would imagine. Bathrooms on Oosterdam are most definitely larger. The SP shower was teeny tiny. However the Caribe Deck balconies were very nice. We've loved every cruise we've been on, though, and just go with the flow. I don't think you can go wrong with either ship. We loved sailing out of San Diego - so easy to get to the port. We drive there but the airport is just a very short distance away - like 10 minutes! Also, the longer time in Cabo is a plus. It would be a toss up for me, and I'd probably go with the best price for the type cabin I wanted, and for us that would be a balcony near the aft elevators - Caribe Deck on Princess for the larger balcony and probably Deck 4 on the Oosterdam. Even though dining is traditional on Oosterdam, they have a really nice buffet that we used on all but the two formal nights on our family cruise. There were very nice food choices, tablecloths, etc. It was quiet and peaceful up there and we enjoyed it.

You've now got me thinking about HAL. We're currently booked on Diamond and I wasn't thrilled about the short port time in Cabo. But we have a balcony on Caribe which I'd hate to give up. We spend a lot of time on the balcony. Looking at HAL, we'd be paying about $100 more PP for a decent balcony but I don't think the size is close to the Caribe.

hi, I think that the Oosterdam will be experimenting with anytime dining during this period. One level will be traditional and the other anytime. You can check on the HAL board for details. Just do a search, it's been discussed plenty. Hope that might help with the decision. BEST WISHES.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I agree that you can't really, really go wrong with either, of course. I sure wish the Diamond Princess would hang out in Cabo just a few more hours -- I think that would seal the deal for me . . . esp. if I could snag a balcony on Caribe Deck. That sounds great!

Have sailed both ships, tough choice. Did the Diamond on the Mexican Riviera and Alaska, the Oosterdam Alaska also. I guess one suggestion would be to ask yourself if you prefer anytime dining, if so, Princess is the obvious choice. We had a standard balcony on the Oosterdam that cost the same as a Princess mini suite, next time we would do the full "suite" with HAL, but only if the price was comparable to the Princess mini's. Princess accomodation for the same amount of money was much better with the two televisions and larger overall room. I know prices change all the time but I would definitely choose Princess' mini suite over a HAL standard balcony if the prices were the same.

Food wise, to us HAL was better, if only they offered the same Princess hamburgers and pizza. HAL has more "included" drinks such as juices and hot chocolate at the buffet. The Oosterdam has a very impressive breakfast buffet with a waffle station as well as ice cream and toppings all day. Both Princess and HAL have afternoon tea, Princess' is at approx. 3:30pm to 4:30 pm.

I prefer the "mega" ships and so far the Diamond has been my favorite. The Oosterdam is about 20-30?thousand tons smaller so there is not as much public space on the ship though both are well laid out. I love the Wheelhouse Bar on the Diamond, feels like an English lodge. If I had to choose again I'd say the Diamond but if you are really into dining and buffet experience try HAL. Hope this helps:)

Ps, our Oosterdam room was on the port side bow second room and we did feel vibration. Would definitely have a closer mid-ship location next time and we do look forward to another HAL cruise in the future:)

My partner David & I have sailed on both ships and both are quite comparable. The deciding factor for me would be the evening in P.V.

We spend a lot of land vacations in P.V. Evenings in P.V. are magnificent.

Go to "Las Carmelitas"for dinner at sunset and you will experience one of the most spectacular views in the world. The taxi ride is adventursome but worth it. The food and drinks are good and this rustic restaurant captures the true Mexican experience with hilltop palapa outdoor dining.

Be prepared that the dogs and chickens may be hanging out in the restaurant too. (An added bonus)

They raise their own beef and chicken and offer incredible service, decent seafood too. Be sure to negotiate having your cabbie come back and get you in time for your return to the cruise ship. I would suggest a 6:30 dinner reservation and allow about 2 hours for dinner, which gives you ample time to get back with time to spare.

Be prepared for an amazing sunset most every evening!

Just when I'm leaning one way (Diamond Princess) because of the ship reviews, size of ship, cabins, etc., I read something that makes me reconsider. The experience at night in PV sounds pretty incredible, Chuck. Adding that and the extra few hours in Cabo seems to make the Oosterdam a better choice for us. We would get a regular balcony cabin on HAL for the same price as a MS on Diamond, however, but I think we could live with that. :)

Just when I'm leaning one way (Diamond Princess) because of the ship reviews, size of ship, cabins, etc., I read something that makes me reconsider. The experience at night in PV sounds pretty incredible, Chuck. Adding that and the extra few hours in Cabo seems to make the Oosterdam a better choice for us. We would get a regular balcony cabin on HAL for the same price as a MS on Diamond, however, but I think we could live with that. :)

I'm just as confused... We've cruised Princess 3 times so we know what we're getting. Never been on HAL. For us, we love a big balcony. HAL's aft balconies work out to be $250 per person more than what we're paying for a balcony on Diamond's Caribe. To me the $500 isn't worth it. But we could move into a regular balcony. Make sure you really compare apples to apples on the pricing. The $899 price that they have advertised is for some balcony cabins right at the front...that's one rocky ride to be at the front.

The $899 price that they have advertised is for some balcony cabins right at the front...that's one rocky ride to be at the front.

We're sailing on 3/24 and paying $899 for balcony on Caribe deck near aft end of ship. We really want to go on HAL one of these days (we sailed on the Ryndam for our honeymoon in the pre-kid days) but the price on the Diamond Princess was too good to pass up.

We're sailing on 3/24 and paying $899 for balcony on Caribe deck near aft end of ship. We really want to go on HAL one of these days (we sailed on the Ryndam for our honeymoon in the pre-kid days) but the price on the Diamond Princess was too good to pass up.

We paid a little bit less than that (less than $50) for a balcony on Caribe for 4/21. It's hard to give that up to move to HAL.

Hey Jane! We're on the 3/24 Diamond Princess sailing also. ;)

To the OP - I've been on the Oosterdam and I have to say that sailing out of San Diego is pretty incredible. The views are terrific, the airport is literally 10 mins. away and there is just so much to do pre- & post-cruise that it's a great location.

As far as the Oosterdam goes, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. There IS a strong vibration in the dining room (the one that is at 6:15 pm). What other people have said is true: the beds are incredible, the aft cabin balconies are amazingly huge and yes, it does feel a bit 'tight' compared to Princess ships. The atrium is very small and closed-in feeling.

The crew aren't as gregarious as Princess' crew. The Oosterdam's crew is great, but very quiet and not as openly friendly as Princess'. In the O's buffet, you cannot serve yourself the majority of the food. You have to be served by the crew. This can get aggravating when there's a language barrier and they don't seem to understand what "2 pieces of bacon" means when you gesture to them.

We had a ton of kids & young families onboard the Oosterdam, so that totally blows the "HAL attracts only the elderly" theory out of the water.

Truly, you can't go wrong with either ship. Be assured that whatever decision you make, you'll enjoy the cruise.:)

Archived