Formal dinner dressing.....

CruisinMatt

Hello HAL experts!

We love to dress up for dinner. How many formal nights can I expect on a 7 night cruise? I don't see it listed in my brochure.... :rolleyes:

Will we seem out of place if we dress more than resort casual on casual nights? On NCL we had stares :rolleyes:

How far in advance should I book the speciality restaurant? :D

Thanks!

We love to dress up for dinner. How many formal nights can I expect on a 7 night cruise? I don't see it listed in my brochure....

Normally there are two "formal" nights on a 7 day cruise. There will also be 1 "informal" night. The rest will be "casual."

Will we seem out of place if we dress more than resort casual on casual nights? On NCL we had stares.

That depends on how much "more" you want to dress. :D A jacket and tie for men on casual nights might not attract too many stares, but a tux probably would. It's kinda hard to say.

How far in advance should I book the speciality restaurant?

If you're concerned about getting a specific time, I would book the Pinnacle Grill no later than immediately after boarding. You can probably also book in the waiting area just prior to boarding.

Is your next cruise the Oosterdam sailing in your signature, or are you cruising sooner?

...just maybe a smart shirt, possible jacket and tie.

I've done that many times. Last cruise on the first night, which is a casual night, I wrote the clothing I wore in transit to Vancouver -- a pair of grey slacks, a blue button-down shirt, and a black blazer. Nobody stared at me ... in fact, I noticed a number of other men were dressed similar to me.

:) Hi, being my first time on HAL I am curious about this as well...so there are 4 casual evenings? 2 formal and one informal?

This would be for the gals;) ....if I choose to "dress" a bit more than "casual" will I be in step?

I enjoy getting dressed up......even on casual evenings...nice slacks and a pretty top..or a long skirt and blouse (not a formal skirt) but still long...

Or pants suit?

I normally don't concern myself with what others wear...I just enjoy looking nice...especially on a cruise:D ...as I don't have the opportunities here at home to get "dressed up".

Thanks for any input.

Lois,

I just got off the Veendam, with the exception of the first night where we only got on board 30 minutes before dinner, I wore a dress every evening. On casual night, the dresses were pretty basic. I never felt out of place as on all nights, there was quite a variety of items worn.

Hope that helps.

Mary

:)

I never worry about what others are wearing. On formal nights, I wear formal clothes - long skirts, dresses, etc., and husband wears his tuxedo. On informal nights he wears a suit, or slacks, jacket, and tie and I still wear a long skirt, etc.

And on casual nights if we feel we want to still dress up, we do so. Especially if we are going to Pinnacle Grill.

:)

Lois....You would be absolutely fine if you chose to dress a bit more than casual. I find that I wear the same sort of slax suits, long dresses, silk outfits for both Informal and Casual. I would not feel comfortable going to an HAL dining room in the evening dressed more informally than that. I could not just put on a pair of slax and blouse...but that is my personal preference.

It is nice to see someone say "we like to dress up!" So often people resent dressing up. In my humble opinion, so society in general is too casual. Too many males go all the way to manhood without ever learning to tie a tie. I find it madening when I run into some guy in his twenties and doesn't know how to tie a tie. When I was in high school, male teachers wore suitcoat and tie and women teachers always wore dresses. Today both come in blue

jeans.

Himself

It is nice to see someone say "we like to dress up!" So often people resent dressing up. In my humble opinion, so society in general is too casual.

Amen to that! :)

Everyone is different, but to me I feel good when I look good. So many people dress casual and they wind up looking dumpy and frumpy. Plus, nothing is more boring than the phrase "I'm on vacation, why should I dress up?" To me that's what cruising is all about! :D

I usually wear a jacket and tie (shirt and pants, too) on informal nights and no one stares at me any more than usual!

Bill ... imagine the stares you'd get if you didn't wear your shirt and pants on informal night!!!!!! :eek: ;)

Greg: what a neat idea! The way things are repotedly going these days on HAL, they would probably let me in sans pants and shirt! With my bod, people would more likely to boo than stare! I like to wear one of my ties that has a nautical theme on informal nights and tux on formal nights. It is indeed a special occasion for us each formal night.

Archived