Two Passengers Arrested for Assault

Tom O.

I saw this on another board here, I found it interesting. In Bermuda two Americans beat up a third American, all three from the same cruise ship.

If it had happened while on board, it would have been the subject of a news special on the hazards of cruising. Luckily it happened in a local bar. Here is the story:

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061007/NEWS/110070162

Hello! Whether fueled by alcohol or not, this was an assault, not a "misunderstanding." What kind of misunderstanding results in a broken jaw? I hope they throw the book at these guys in addition to the 90 days.

Next stop: 48 Hours Mystery. <grin>

The probably got into it over one of them not showing up properly dressed on Formal Night :D

Sooo hilarious! I just got done reading all the silly postings on not wearing a tie on formal night, so your comment really tickled my funny bone!

I understand that there is a brig on all Princess ships

Nancy:)

Do cruise ships have a brig?

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=278166&highlight=brig

a ship's jail is a "brig," and yes, there is a brig on a cruise ship, although it's out of sight to passengers.

from

http://www.sealetter.com/Feb-97/humor.html

Place where unruly teenagers and their parents are held prior to their being thrown off the ship at the next port of call.

from

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/cruiseterms.html

What would be very interesting would be if some insider snapped a pic of the brig so that we could see what it looks like!

I don't think they ever saw the inside of the brig. They were removed from the ship by Bermuda Authorities and locked up in a Bermuda Prison. Not a pleasant thought, 90 days in a foreign prison.

I wish that justice here in the U.S. could be meted out as swiftly, no nonsense.........no excuses........immediate consequences for your actions. I would bet these two will think twice before they start assault aagain. This may still become a 48 hours mystery :(

We could call ourselves Iran . Then we would not have to worry about that Constitution of ours that always gets in the way....

Can you imagine how crowded our prisions would be with just people who cheat just a little on their taxes .

It really isn't bad living in this country. Don't wish for something else because you might get it one day.

They had a fair trial, they both plead guilty. There was no infringement of their constitutional rights.

In a foreign country, US citizens are not protected by the US constitution.

It does sound as if they received fair and due process, however.

After four trips, Bermuda continues to impress me. It does not surprise me that they would come down hard on a tourist that got out of line like those involved. I believe that the sentence was fair, but they should still have to face the civil costs. I wonder how that will work. If that had happened at home, the injured party could have brought suit for many thousands of dollars for the physical damage and mental anquish.

I wonder if all brigs are inside or do they have some partially obstructed (with bars) ocean view brigs for minor offenders?

When I was "back-packing" Europe, we travelled from Bergen, Norway to England on an overnight ferry. There was two ways to travel....for one amount of money, you got a cabin, for a much lesser amount you got nothing more than your transportation (ie sleep in a chair)...but we found a third way to travel and get a bed to sleep in. On the bow, built on the deck was a large steel box. It was the "brig". It was unlocked, and inside we found 4 bunk beds. We just moved it. The next morning a crew member wandered by, noticed the door was not shut completely, peeked in, gave us the "thumbs up" sign for being resourceful and bid us a good morning. My night in the brig on the North Sea.

It has a small barred window in the door, but other than that, it was a completely unobstucted, forward facing cabin with a view.

When I was "back-packing" Europe, we travelled from Bergen, Norway to England on an overnight ferry. There was two ways to travel....for one amount of money, you got a cabin, for a much lesser amount you got nothing more than your transportation (ie sleep in a chair)...but we found a third way to travel and get a bed to sleep in. On the bow, built on the deck was a large steel box. It was the "brig". It was unlocked, and inside we found 4 bunk beds. We just moved it. The next morning a crew member wandered by, noticed the door was not shut completely, peeked in, gave us the "thumbs up" sign for being resourceful and bid us a good morning. My night in the brig on the North Sea.

It has a small barred window in the door, but other than that, it was a completely unobstucted, forward facing cabin with a view.

That was cool, like using the mens room when there are 56 women waiting for the ladies room :D

Archived