Keeping Passports with you

Hockey Nut

[quote name='cruzincurt']Terpnut, As stated earlier on this issue the passport goes with me.

However, on the cruise last week, I actually saw some people walking around with a clear plastic holder strung around their necks with the passport showing. Now that's just plain stupid.[/quote]Well, at least they had it with them! :p And maybe, when they're walking around town, they wore it inside their clothes?? :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='cruzincurt']Terpnut, As stated earlier on this issue the passport goes with me.

However, on the cruise last week, I actually saw some people walking around with a clear plastic holder strung around their necks with the passport showing. Now that's just plain stupid.[/quote]

Aye!

When one should carry a passport and when one probably shouldn't are very much Dependant on the country visited and the nationality of the passport.

Its pointless for a US citizen to carry their passport when visiting USVI & PR. In these circumstances their passport carries no more protection than a valid driver's license. The downside of losing the document outweighs any benefit.

On the other hand, a person traveling on a PRC passport (to be extreme) probably should carry their passport in USVI and PR since it most likely contains their entry visa.

On a cruise one must also keep in mind the next port of call. One always has to consider what will happen if the ship departs before one can re-board. Should this happen one likely needs a passport. Hence the truly cautious will want to carry their passport. Personally I now prefer leaving my passport aboard when cruising in the Caribbean. The risk of needing it are outweighed by the risk of its loss or damage and the cost of replacing it.

[quote name='Terpnut']You're taking a big chance in trusting a cruise line to act on your behalf if you should encounter trouble in a foreign country. Your passport is your unique form of identification and proof of citizenry. It is meant to be carried with you and not locked up in a hotel room. I am not personally aware of any hotel or cruise line that requires a US citizen to forfeit their passport, but even if one did, I simply wouldn't patronize them due to the risk reasons I've cited previously. Again, if they do this, you must understand it is for their convenience and it is definitely not done in your best interest. Why would anyone allow them to do this?

[/quote]

Unless they have changed their procedures, Viking Cruise Lines does take the passports of their passengers when they cruise down the Rhine. My daughter took a cruise with them and was very upset when they took hers for the duration of the cruise. She wanted the stamps from various countries. I don't think I would refuse to hand over my passport. Spend that much money and then be refused boarding?

[quote name='broberts']Its pointless for a US citizen to carry their passport when visiting USVI & PR. In these circumstances their passport carries no more protection than a valid driver's license. The downside of losing the document outweighs any benefit...[/quote]I don't think anyone will disagree that no U. S. citizen needs to carry their passport while in the U.S. or its territories however this is not the issue posed by this thread (which is what should people do while abroad). While I totally agree that the need for a passport depends on your travel situation and risk tolerance, there are too many people who do not understand or appreciate the possible risks in travelling overseas and they seem to prioritize the need to safeguard the passport itself over the need to protect themselves. If one makes a calculated risk/reward decision as to whether you will carry your passport or not--I respect that. But if you tell me: "I'm fine with just my SeaPass card", "I don't need my passport because my embassy will always protect me", "not losing my passport is of paramount importance" or "a photocopy is the same thing", then you're showing that you don't understand the risks and/or what a passport is for.

[quote name='madhouseinc']Unless they have changed their procedures, Viking Cruise Lines does take the passports of their passengers when they cruise down the Rhine. My daughter took a cruise with them and was very upset when they took hers for the duration of the cruise. She wanted the stamps from various countries. I don't think I would refuse to hand over my passport. Spend that much money and then be refused boarding?[/quote]I never suggested that anyone should skip their cruise upon finding out they need to forfeit their passport. I was saying that I would not have booked that same cruise knowing this in advance. Viking must disclose these requirements in advance so your daughter should have known. Again, the key point here is that they do this to facilitate/speed border crossings, customs, etc.--it's a convenience to the cruise line and not for the protection or advantage of the passenger.

[quote name='Terpnut']Viking must disclose these requirements in advance so your daughter should have known.[/quote]
Unfortunately, I doubt if that was the case. I don't think I've ever been notified in advance when a ship has collected my passport (RCI in the Baltics, Princess in Australia, NCL in South America). Nothing on the web site, nothing in the literature. It happened each time with no forewarning.

[quote name='johnql']Unfortunately, I doubt if that was the case. I don't think I've ever been notified in advance when a ship has collected my passport (RCI in the Baltics, Princess in Australia, NCL in South America). Nothing on the web site, nothing in the literature. It happened each time with no forewarning.[/quote]Very interesting. Do they require that you surrender it? If so and you refuse, do they deny you boarding? If you refuse and are denied boarding, can I assume you get a full refund (not that that is a desireable option at that point)? Does it apply to everyone onboard or only certain nationals? Just curious.

[quote name='Terpnut']Very interesting. Do they require that you surrender it? If so and you refuse, do they deny you boarding? If you refuse and are denied boarding, can I assume you get a full refund (not that that is a desireable option at that point)? Does it apply to everyone onboard or only certain nationals? Just curious.[/quote]
To be honest, I didn't ask whether it was optional. This was years ago and I just assumed that it was required. Today, I would at least ask what my options were.

I'm not sure what the criteria was and whether it applied to everyone. I do know that nowadays, in the Caribbean, Americans do not have to turn over their passports but non-Americans often do.

[quote name='Terpnut']I never suggested that anyone should skip their cruise upon finding out they need to forfeit their passport. I was saying that I would not have booked that same cruise knowing this in advance. Viking must disclose these requirements in advance so your daughter should have known. Again, the key point here is that they do this to facilitate/speed border crossings, customs, etc.--it's a convenience to the cruise line and not for the protection or advantage of the passenger.[/quote]

There are countries in which foreigners are required by law to surrender their passport to hotels in which they are staying. It was quite common in Europe many years ago. I don't believe that it is quite as common anymore.

It may well be that a cruise line asking to hold your passport is just complying with local laws. I'd would not freely give my passport into someone Else's care, but one does have to comply with local laws.

[quote name='ciderapple']
My passport is my lifeline, should an emergency arise in my home country, I will not give my passport to anybody without a fight.
.[/quote]

Let us know how you make out with keeping your passport.

For the Caribbean cruise we got ours back after check in for Europe they held them.
I take the addresses /phone numbers of the Consulates of the countries we travel to as well as a photo copy of my passport. Hopefully I will not have to call them.

[quote name='Terpnut']
[snip]
But if you tell me: "I'm fine with just my SeaPass card", "I don't need my passport because my embassy will always protect me", "not losing my passport is of paramount importance" or "a photocopy is the same thing", then you're showing that you don't understand the risks and/or what a passport is for.[/quote]
Keep bangin' at it Terpnut, I'm with you. Many on the thread don't get it.

I've been travelling internationally for over twenty years, over forty countries in five continents, and while some have tried, nobody has kept my passport for any longer than was needed to record information from it. In some work situations, the taking of a passport is a means of holding one hostage until the foreign customer is happy with the work - you definitely don't want that.

Everywhere I've been, even the most "civilized" places, the authorities have the legal right to demand identification at any time for any reason. While you might get away with less, the passport by definition satisfies any such demand. Whenever out of the country, I always have my passport, a credit card with a limit high enough to get me home, and cash for a taxi.

Call me paranoid if you want...

[quote name='linanbob']Keep bangin' at it Terpnut, I'm with you. Many on the thread don't get it.

I've been travelling internationally for over twenty years, over forty countries in five continents, and while some have tried, nobody has kept my passport for any longer than was needed to record information from it. In some work situations, the taking of a passport is a means of holding one hostage until the foreign customer is happy with the work - you definitely don't want that.

Everywhere I've been, even the most "civilized" places, the authorities have the legal right to demand identification at any time for any reason. While you might get away with less, the passport by definition satisfies any such demand. Whenever out of the country, I always have my passport, a credit card with a limit high enough to get me home, and cash for a taxi.

Call me paranoid if you want...[/quote]

Well, hopefully people will start to get it when they read the thread above about the cruise ship leaving passengers stranded at the port!

Still hoping to keep our passports on us next month :)

Seems the new passport requirements will go into effect soon, You will need a passport to re-enter the US through an airport, coming back from everywhere. So, if you get stuck somewhere and try to fly back, and your passport is locked up on the ship, and you ain't, you ain't getting back into the US without a whole bunch of trouble.

[quote name='linanbob']Keep bangin' at it Terpnut, I'm with you. Many on the thread don't get it.

Call me paranoid if you want...[/quote]That's my job--to keep bangin' at it! :D

I just finished reading the thread after ignoring it for quite awhile.

I guess the issue of whether to keep and carry your passport is the same as whether to purchase travel insurance or not.

* If you ever buy insurance and need it you will be glad you bought it.

* If you never buy buy insurance and need it you will wish had bought it.

I like to gamble and in this case the odds tell me I would prefer to have it with me whether I need it or not. Me, I'll take my passport with me.

As Canadians, on 8 previous cruises with both RCI and Carnival we have been required to relinquish our passports (or birth certificates) at check-in and are given a ticket to get them back later in the cruise. Our last cruise which left from NYC, ironically only had ports of call in Canada:D but we still had to turn in our passports and in that case we had to wait til we were off the ship in the terminal in Manhatten before we got them back. We have tried previously to tell the port agents that we'd be keeping them with us and they told us it was an immigration requirement and we would be denied boarding. If Americans can make it a requirement for non-Americans, why is it offensive for other countries to do the same?

Cruise Lines often require passengers to surrender their passports for a very good reason:

Sometimes the local immigration authorities like to play a few games with the ship either when it enters the country, or is ready to leave. Immigration officers have the right to demand to inspect all foreign passports before clearing a ship to enter to depart a country. Usually they are too lazy to do so. The Purser provides them a detailed list of all passengers and their passport numbers, expiration dates, etc.
But what happens if the authorities want to see the actual passports? Can you imagine how many hours it would take to round up all the passengers with their passports if the passengers have the passports in their safes, suitcases, etc??
It gets even more complicated when the ship arrives in port at 5am and they need to wake everyone up, get them out of bed and meet all of them for inspecting passports.

In a few countries, it gets even crazier. Some very clever immigration inspectors will arrive at the ship in the middle of the day, knowing that many passengers are ashore shopping, on tour, etc. They will demand to make a spot inspection of all foreign passports - which is entirely legal in most countries. If the Purser cannot produce ALL passports, the authorities threaten to impose huge fines on the cruise line - and sometimes even on the passengers. They can even threaten to refuse to allow the ship to leave port if all passports are not available to them.
The cruise lines protect themselves and their passengers by holding all passports in a safe in case the autrhorities play these imspection games.

[quote name='Autumn3']...If the photocopy will get you a new passport than why can't you use this new passport to get home? [/quote]

A photocopy of the information page will help you a LOT at a US Embassy. Unfortunately, there are not US Embassys at many popular ports of call.

The US Embassy that provides serivces for the Cayman Islands is teh embassy in Kingston, Jamaica.

If you are onshore in Cayman, having missed your ship, you need to get to Jamaica to get a new passport... something you need your passport to do!

Zip lock plus waterproof bag is my recommendation. Keep it on your person.

[quote name='drew sailbum']A photocopy of the information page will help you a LOT at a US Embassy. Unfortunately, there are not US Embassys at many popular ports of call.

The US Embassy that provides serivces for the Cayman Islands is teh embassy in Kingston, Jamaica.

If you are onshore in Cayman, having missed your ship, you need to get to Jamaica to get a new passport... something you need your passport to do!

Zip lock plus waterproof bag is my recommendation. Keep it on your person.[/quote]

I am not American - so I won't be turning to the US Embassy for assistance :)

However, the Canadian Embassy/Consulate office would be able to offer assistance to me. According to their website they have over 270 offices in approximately 180 countries - [I]every[/I] port of call is covered. I take this information with me for each port I am visiting. In the event there is no Canadian consulate I am able to contact the British consulate for assistance in an emergency.

The OP made the following statement "I was told we [B]need[/B] to keep our passport with us at all times." Some of us are simply pointing out that you don't [B]need[/B] the passport with you at all times. It is not a legal requirement - it is merely a preference that some people have.

Again, the ship keeps my passport so taking it onshore is not an option available to me.

There is still the unanswered question. Who or what gives the ship the right to keep passports? The ship is simply a means of transportation. Does the airline keep your passport when you fly into a foreign country then give it back when you leave? Many countries require you to have a round trip ticket in order to be allowed to visit.

A british couple we met on a cruise demanded and got their passport back from the ship to take ashore.

I also find it a bit hard to believe that immigration would hassle a cruise ship that is bringing money toting tourists into the port. Especially a country that relies on tourism.

Curt,
Nobody gives the ship the right to keep passports. But common sense forces them to do it.They can take the chance of having major immigration hassles with the locals, or they can keep the passports. The immigration hassles, by the way, are not just on a single cruise - but on every cruise that stops in that particular country for the entire season. In most cases it is just not worth the grief.

Have a close look at text inside your American Passport. In the fine print you will read (more or less), "this passport is the property of the United States Government. It must be surrendered to any national authority for inspection on request." Many Americans are surprised to find that even though they paid for the passport, it does not belong to them. It belongs to the US Government. The legal instructions about surrendering it to the national authorities will not work if the national authorities are on the ship and you are at the beach with your passport.

I was going to post a question here, however after reading this thread I think I have my answer...

[COLOR=red][B]First Cruise: Carnival 2003[/B][/COLOR]

Carnival took our passports, I tried to fight it as my passport really is the only identifier I have to being a Canadian citizen traveling abroad (I don't think I would have passed the eh? test)...

I was told point-blank at the pier, If I didn't hand over my passport I was not getting on the ship... All Canadians had to hand in their passports for immigration purposes if I didn't like it too bad, if I didn't hand over my passport I was not going to be allowed passage on the ship... (Didn't set a good start for my first cruise)...

Don't even get me started on the whole Canadian Debarkation procedure for that cruise...

I was so turned off by the whole thing (felt like a second class citizen), that I refused to cruise again...

So the following year my mother comes back from a Princess cruise, tells me she gets to keep her passport and their was no separate disembarking process for Canadians, everybody treated equal...

[COLOR=red][B]My second Cruise: Golden Princess 2005...[/B][/COLOR]

Just as my mother noted, Princess [U][B]did not[/B][/U] keep our passports!

I asked about the immigration process and was told all of our information had already been collected and in their computer system, no need for Princess to keep our passports and in fact was told to keep our passports with us whenever we chose to leave the ship :confused:...

Debarkation for most Canadians went as smooth as silk and their was no difference between Canadians and Americans...

Welcome releif...

So here came the question...

In my naiveté I didn't/couldn't believe Carnival and Princess would have different immigration procedures, I just figured times changed, computer technology has come a long way and we no longer would have to relinquish our passports on any of the Carnival Corp ships...

So, when my extended family chose the [B][COLOR=red]Carnival Legend[/COLOR][/B] for our next trip, I didn't even think about this whole passport issue...

Until... I read this post...

From what I am understanding here, Canadians are [B]STILL[/B] expected to "hand over" our passports to Carnival personal for the duration of the cruise and are [B]STILL[/B] expected to have that "special" 6:00 am meeting with American immigration officials on the day of departure :mad: ?

Oh Gawd please say it isn't so :mad: ?

If this is true... PLEASE somebody explain to me [COLOR=red][B]WHY[/B][/COLOR] Princess does not require passport confiscation and Carnival does?

My mother took the EXACT same Western Caribbean cruise on Princess that we took on Carnival in 2003, so I know its not a "port requirement"...

I am more worried about Carnival Personnel [U][B][COLOR=red]LOSING/MISPLACING[/COLOR][/B][/U] MY passport then I am about leaving the ship on shore excursions (although I will say, as long as Carnival has my passport, we will only take ship sponsored tours :eek: ).

Now, the whole disembarking process and passport retrieval is what really turns me off...The getting up at 5:00 am to stand in line until 7:30 am with two (2) EXTREMELY tired young children on our final morning was/is disgusting :mad:...

CCFan...

[quote name='CanuckCFAN']I was going to post a question here, however after reading this thread I think I have my answer...

[COLOR=red][B]First Cruise: Carnival 2003[/B][/COLOR]

Carnival took our passports, I tried to fight it as my passport really is the only identifier I have to being a Canadian citizen traveling abroad (I don't think I would have passed the eh? test)...

I was told point-blank at the pier, If I didn't hand over my passport I was not getting on the ship... All Canadians had to hand in their passports for immigration purposes if I didn't like it too bad, if I didn't hand over my passport I was not going to be allowed passage on the ship... (Didn't set a good start for my first cruise)...

Don't even get me started on the whole Canadian Debarkation procedure for that cruise...

I was so turned off by the whole thing (felt like a second class citizen), that I refused to cruise again...

So the following year my mother comes back from a Princess cruise, tells me she gets to keep her passport and their was no separate disembarking process for Canadians, everybody treated equal...

[COLOR=red][B]My second Cruise: Golden Princess 2005...[/B][/COLOR]

Just as my mother noted, Princess [U][B]did not[/B][/U] keep our passports!

I asked about the immigration process and was told all of our information had already been collected and in their computer system, no need for Princess to keep our passports and in fact was told to keep our passports with us whenever we chose to leave the ship :confused:...

Debarkation for most Canadians went as smooth as silk and their was no difference between Canadians and Americans...

Welcome releif...

So here came the question...

In my naiveté I didn't/couldn't believe Carnival and Princess would have different immigration procedures, I just figured times changed, computer technology has come a long way and we no longer would have to relinquish our passports on any of the Carnival Corp ships...

So, when my extended family chose the [B][COLOR=red]Carnival Legend[/COLOR][/B] for our next trip, I didn't even think about this whole passport issue...

Until... I read this post...

From what I am understanding here, Canadians are [B]STILL[/B] expected to "hand over" our passports to Carnival personal for the duration of the cruise and are [B]STILL[/B] expected to have that "special" 6:00 am meeting with American immigration officials on the day of departure :mad: ?

Oh Gawd please say it isn't so :mad: ?

If this is true... PLEASE somebody explain to me [COLOR=red][B]WHY[/B][/COLOR] Princess does not require passport confiscation and Carnival does?

My mother took the EXACT same Western Caribbean cruise on Princess that we took on Carnival in 2003, so I know its not a "port requirement"...

I am more worried about Carnival Personnel [U][B][COLOR=red]LOSING/MISPLACING[/COLOR][/B][/U] MY passport then I am about leaving the ship on shore excursions (although I will say, as long as Carnival has my passport, we will only take ship sponsored tours :eek: ).

Now, the whole disembarking process and passport retrieval is what really turns me off...The getting up at 5:00 am to stand in line until 7:30 am with two (2) EXTREMELY tired young children on our final morning was/is disgusting :mad:...

CCFan...[/quote]

Can't help you with Carnival but I can tell you that with RCCL I was told that I had to surrender my passport. There was no seperate disembarking process or meetings that I had to go through though. In St. Thomas I did need to go to the dining room to clear customs before leaving the ship. This is where RCCL staff gave me back my passport and it was stamped by Homeland Security. The entire procedure took less than 5 minutes for the two of us. We were then told by both homeland security and RCCL that there was no need to take our passport onshore with us.

The only other time I had to show my passport was in Miami when we left the ship (we were in the same line as Americans). Again, it was a quick process.

Archived