How is the terminal at Norfolk VA?

WebNanny

I have been spoiled by taking my first cruise out of the new terminal at Baltimore. I am considering a future cruise on RCI Empress OS out of Norfolk.

Is it easy to get to from I-64? We would be driving in from northern Virginia and getting dropped off and picked up.

How is embarkation, debarkation?

Thanks for any comments.;)

I have never cruised out of Norfolk, but I lived 20 mins away from there up until Feb 2005 (and still have family there) so I can give you the info I have. I know they are working on building an official cruise terminal, but for now, I believe it is operated basically out of the Nauticus museum. If you have some time to kill, visit the USS Wisconsin which is attached to Nauticus but free to get into.

From I-64, you would need to switch to I-264 East...the 64 and 264 stretches of roads can be a nightmare if it is beach season (late May - August) on a Friday or Saturday OR if you are traveling around 5-7am as this is also the main road to the military base. Otherwise, traffic is pretty easy. Just give yourself time for bridge/tunnel traffic if you are coming at these times. Feel free to ask if you have other questions.

The new terminal is scheduled to open for cruises next year. It is very easy to get to the pier. Parking is clearly marked and if people are dropping you off, you can be dropped right in front of the pier. I have taken taxis to the pier and have had no problem. The ships generally leave on weekends, so the only traffic you will encounter is cruise traffic (that is, after you make it through the tunnel..)

Thank you both for your information. It makes a Norfolk departure more appealing.

Looks like Empress's move to Norfolk is timed to coincide with the new terminal.

I go to Portsmouth several times a year but have not been in Norfolk much since I went to high school at Norview in the early '60s - things have changed a lot since then.:p

During their Harborfest. Saw a Carnival ship depart on a 2 day cruise to nowhere. I did depart where the Nauticus Museum was. Was taking a tall ship 2 hr tour at the time it left port. It was a sight to see it leave!

The web site above has all the info you need. However, the Battleship Wisconson is FREE to see, but the Nauticus Museum is not.

Have fun cruzin!

Jacquelyn :D

It is a beautiful terminal. I have a friend here in travel, and she says it is state of the art. Traffic should be fine on a weekend, as long as you allow for beach traffic in the tunnels. I live right across the tunnel, and we have never cruised from Norfolk, mainly because it is never the ships/itinerary we want. I hope the cruise lines will bring in some newer, bigger ships with the stunning new facility. One can always hope....

• 6 months later...
I have been spoiled by taking my first cruise out of the new terminal at Baltimore. I am considering a future cruise on RCI Empress OS out of Norfolk.

Is it easy to get to from I-64? We would be driving in from northern Virginia and getting dropped off and picked up.

How is embarkation, debarkation?

Thanks for any comments.;)

One word sums up the new facility........FABULOUS! Below is a pic of the facility as well as a link to the news headline. It is literally 15 mintes from anywhere from I-64 in South Hampton Roads (Chesapeake, Portsmouth, VA Beach and Norfolk). If you are getting dropped off - you have the advantage as you will be literally at the entrance to the boarding facility. If you choose this facility, enjoy your cruise out of Norfolk! It really is a beautiful place.

0428cruise500x325.jpg

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=123680&ran=125173

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently realized that the parking lot associated with the cruise terminal in Norfolk is about a mile away. I've updated my Norfolk Cruise Map to show its location. You can also get driving directions to either the pier or the parking lot by clicking on the marker, or the link listed below the map.

I am anxiously awaiting my chance to try out this new facility in a couple weeks!

Theron

I'm assuming there is a shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal - correct?????

Yes there is. I've not sailed from there yet, but I hear that it runs fairly smoothly.

Theron

• 3 weeks later...
I'm assuming there is a shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal - correct?????

Just yesterday I was going to my office in Norfolk and saw the ship in dock. Being that I'm going to be a first time cruiser in August out of Jacksonville, I wanted to see what it was like here. It was about 1:00 when I went by and it seemed to be not a large crowd boarding at all. I pass the cruise lot eveyday going to work. I saw lots of buses coming from the lot to the terminal. Looks like it would be quite easy for cruising. I would recommend anyone who is traveling to Norfolk via I64, just give your self plenty of time, because the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel can be a nightmare at anytime. I try to avoid it whenever I can. From Northern VA you could also take the Monitor Merrimac Tunnel (I664) to I264) to downtown Norfolk as an alternative. Usually thats the route with the least traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

they are having grandeur of the seas there in 2008. a full schedule, caribbean and new england and newfoundland. this is a bigger better ship than empress. we already plan to take the new england one for our anniversary on 08/08/08.

Sailed from the new terminal in May and everything went very smoothly. We were dropeed off at the terminal, so I can't speak for the parking, but I didn't hear anyone complaining, so I'm thinking it was not a problem...disembarkation went quickly with alot of porters to help you if needed:)

Now that I've sailed from there, I discovered that they do have a flaw in the plan, and I suppose depending on your circumstances, it could be quite a nuisance.

I dropped off folks and luggage at the terminal, then went to park. I really did not want to have to hassle with putting the checked luggage on the shuttle buses. We were there fairly early, around 11:00 or so. By the time I got to the parking lot it was about 11:15. They had not yet cleared the parking lot from the previous cruise, so I had to wait in a staging area for a good half-hour or so before they let anyone park in the final parking area.

If I had been checking in with the folks I had dropped off, it would have been very frustrating because they would have had no idea why it took me so long to get back, and if they had needed to wait for me, they would have been standing there for the better part of an hour with no idea where I was.

Everything else seemed to go fine, but they really need to reorginze their parking strategy to allow overlap between departing and arriving cars. The way it is now, they allow arriving passengers to check in well before the parking lot is available to them for parking. If they are going to provide an area for parking, then they need to make it available as soon as the ship is ready for boarding, not an hour later.

Theron

• 3 months later...
How far is the airport from the terminal please - how much by cab? RCI are charging £15pp one way [around $30pp]

Google driving directions (which you can get from my Cruise Map of Norfolk) say 11.1 miles. (Click on the cruise terminal marker, then click "To Here", type "ORF" then click Get Directions.)

I haven't posted here since I got my photo album up from this cruise, there is a folder of pictures of the Norfolk terminal and departure. The whole Norfolk experience is very nice.

Theron

Anyone recommend a Norfolk area hotel that will let you leave your car and shuttle you to the terminal?

Having read about the parking lot problem (it will be full with cars from guests getting off the previous cruise if you get there early - and we love to get there early!)

Also and even better, any hotels in walking distance?

There are several hotels "downtown" that are within walking distance, although the parking for them may be a little expensive. The Marriott is the closest and nicest. The Sheraton is nice but a little more of a trek. I think some of the hotels near the airport offer a parking special. There are quite a few nices ones there.

If you have questions about one in particular, I'd be glad to help.

Archived