any recent reviews of stamford plaza?

sunsetme

can't find any recent reviews (Oct) of stamford plaza.

anyone been there since renovations?? How is the location?

Location of Hotel is half way up Queen Street, the main downtown road. About a 10 to 15 minute walk for me from the ship berth at the harbour. Good hotel, now refurbsihed. Close to the Sky City complex. To see a map go to http://www.wises.co.nz and you can get some good maps. Regards Ian [Tauranga]

can't find any recent reviews (Oct) of stamford plaza.

anyone been there since renovations?? How is the location?

hi., walked down to the Stamford yesterday to see what I could see for you. I believe it opened officially for guests yesterday and as it was a friend of mine walked out as I passed by who had been staying there for 2 nights already with 5 nights to go. He said the hotel was still obviously being worked on and that it was pretty noisy staying there with continuing construction going on. The rooms were nice but he would not have stayed there as he had been unable to sleep in because of noise. Had he known that it was not finished and would have chosen the Laingholm.

From what I could see over looking his shoulder, the new lobby looked very nice and finished., the construction site seems to be connected to the new building going on top of the original 5 story hotel that will be the condominiums. I dont know what date all construction will be finished., it is a great location........hope this helps a little...

oh...btw...the stamford is actually located on ALbert street..not Queen Street and it is about one block up from the Waterfront. I think KiwiIan is mistaken with another hotel.....

the work is on the top of the building....they are creating new condominiums on what was once a 5 story building. From what my friend said...there was building noise within the hotel that was evident inside his room.... Id say the building work will be ongoing, however whether the work will be effecting guests for some time in the future is something I cant comment on. I saw the Lobby, it looked very nice...and finished..... I would suggest you contact the hotel and ask for clarification. Then at least if it is a problem you have a papertrail to refer them to. It is one of the best locations in town, close to the viaduct and waterfront, the CBD and also ferrys.

I will mention that I was in the Laingholm this week and although the location is not as good as the Stamford, I was very impressed with the refurbishment from what was till now a pretty ho hum decor to very elegant and classy. I only bring it up because it was mentioned earlier when people were discussing the better option,

hi., walked down to the Stamford yesterday to see what I could see for you. I believe it opened officially for guests yesterday and as it was a friend of mine walked out as I passed by who had been staying there for 2 nights already with 5 nights to go. He said the hotel was still obviously being worked on and that it was pretty noisy staying there with continuing construction going on. The rooms were nice but he would not have stayed there as he had been unable to sleep in because of noise. Had he known that it was not finished and would have chosen the Laingholm.

From what I could see over looking his shoulder, the new lobby looked very nice and finished., the construction site seems to be connected to the new building going on top of the original 5 story hotel that will be the condominiums. I dont know what date all construction will be finished., it is a great location........hope this helps a little...

oh...btw...the stamford is actually located on ALbert street..not Queen Street and it is about one block up from the Waterfront. I think KiwiIan is mistaken with another hotel.....

YES, i was wrong, got the hotel right but the street wrong, its on albert street which runs parallel to queen street, heres the details: Stamford Plaza Auckland

22 Lower Albert Street

Auckland, 1001

New Zealand

Telephone: +64-9 309 8888

Toll free NZ: 0508 658 888

Facsimile: +64-9 379 6445

Email: reservations@spak.stamford.com.au

Regards Ian [Tauranga]

• 4 months later...

I wrote to the Stamford asking about their rates for Jan 2008. They wrote me a letter with the rates quoted and telling me of the ongoing construction and hours that they work. It was nice that she warned me. We decided to pass even though the work is on the upper floors. Sounds like the construction will be going on for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

work will definately be going on for a while.

we have just returned from there. Our TA had booked us there as part of a package. great stay no noise at all. They kept our bags until late afternoon so we could sightsee some more on sailaway day. Then we just pulled our suitcases down the hill to the ship.

A lovely breakfast was also included. As it was part of a package i have no idea of cost, but can recommend it.

karon

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Stamford in January.

The hotel itself is very nice, rooms are nice, carpeting not so clean.

The hotel staff were very nice as well, they held onto our bags on the checkout day until we were ready to leave for the airport, helped us reserve a shuttle ride. The day we checked into the hotel we were early (just off the ship) and the did have rooms ready for us. (so appreciated that!)

But in our rooms the air conditioning did not work and after a long day of site seeing, it was very uncomfortable to be in a warm room. They checked the a/c three times, and finally offered to move us but we were tired and unpacked and did not want to repack since we were leaving in the morning. So, in future, will check the a/c before we unpack.

Construction was ongoing but did not bother us as we were up early to see the sites and they stopped before we would get in for the evening. The hotel is very convenient to the harbor and ferries etc.

We also stayed at the Stamford in Sydney - now I would highly recommend that hotel. Very convenient, wonderful staff, nice rooms.

Debbie

Archived