Bed-bugs reported on NCL Spirit

CruisinMatt

every person in our group (9 of us) came back from the 11/11 sailing of the pearl with scabies. we were all on the same floor in a block of rooms next to each other. i guess it's possible we got them somewhere other than the cabins on the ship, but that seems to be the biggest common denominator.

Shake anyone's hand lately? You can get scabies simply by shaking an infested person's hand! :rolleyes:

Of course, the cruise lines could de-lice and sanitize everyone before boarding, including their clothes and bags, but don't you think that's taking matters a little too far?

:eek: I shutter to even imagine!

Shake anyone's hand lately? You can get scabies simply by shaking an infested person's hand! :rolleyes:

well, all nine of us would have had to shake it. i guess we could have passed it to each other, but it does seem odd that the nine of us all got it.

well, all nine of us would have had to shake it. i guess we could have passed it to each other, but it does seem odd that the nine of us all got it.

Are you being treated for it? With what?

I just don't understand where you are going with this. Are you hoping to find that NCL has a rampant problem with scabies?

Something like this can happen in hotel rooms, working with the public; all kinds of circumstances. Scabies mites rely on temperature and humidity to survive. Being a parasite, humans are a likely target. They can't survive long without a host.

When a person is infected, there's a proper way to treat the infestation, clean clothing, bedding and furnishings, etc. IF you all got it from your staterooms collectively, someone dropped the ball by not previously reporting it (or even knowing what they had) and your party was the unlucky recipients. Did you report it to NCL?

This certainly doesn't mean that NCL has uncleanly ships. My best guess is you picked it up in Cozumel.

For what it is worth scabies are NOT bed bugs, completely different thing.

Scabies is an infestation of the skin with the microscopic mite Sarcoptes scabei. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/scabies/factsht_scabies.htm

Bed bugs are small, brownish, flattened insects that feed solely on the blood of animals. The common bed bug, Cimex lectularius, is the species most adapted to living with humans. It has done so since ancient times. http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp

This whole thread is a post about misinformation and is 14 months old. At least talk about something that is current.

ONCE AGAIN

FOR (HOPEFULLY) THE LAST TIME

NO BEDBUGS ON SPIRIT.

Three cruises. Three cabin categories. Asked around on the last two cruises. Checked the mattresses. Nothing.

GSC has tons of mosquitos. Nighttime partying on GSC is a feeding frenzy for said buggies. Bring "OFF" and you will be fine- no need to bring exotic bug repellent.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!!!

There was a very long thread on bed bugs posted last year on RCL's board. The people who were bitten posted detailed photos and eventually settled out of court with RCL. It can and does happen. And, like one poster here said you have to shake the headboard (place a piece of white paper down first) and hope you don't see them. I am surprised that most posters here think this is just a made up fantasy that never happened. Isn't the fact that NCL offered over $1200 compensation to these people reason enough to question this scenario? I'm not buying the hotel managers position that NYC is the reason bed bugs might be on board. QE2, QM2, & Noordam use the same docks and nothing reported on board these ships. NCL's explanation of bed bugs and compensation offers made are reason enough for me to conclude there must be some type of validity to this story.

How did I get scabies?

By direct, prolonged, skin-to-skin contact with a person already infested with scabies. Contact must be prolonged (a quick handshake or hug will usually not spread infestation). Infestation is easily spread to sexual partners and household members. Infestation may also occur by sharing clothing, towels, and bedding.

I am surprised that most posters here think this is just a made up fantasy that never happened. Isn't the fact that NCL offered over $1200 compensation to these people reason enough to question this scenario?

When did NCL do that? Do you have a link?

isn't scabbies transmitted sexually or by close contact amoung people? It would be really strange for people in different rooms to get it.

Perhaps you're thinking of crabs? LOL! :D Yes, scabies can be transmitted during any close contact, but it can be easily transmitted via a simple handshake too. They like folds of skin, like between the thumb and forefinger. I speak from experience as a young adult. I worked reception at a sales office and got scabies. The first site of infestation was my hand.

Man, this is an itchy subject!

In retrospect, we were on the Spirit for 15 days for the 11/3 repositioning cruise. No evidence of bed bugs or the like in our balcony 11516. We did have a dragonfly one night though. One of the downfalls of having the balcony door open. Bugs like to cruise too. :D

Here's a little 1st night story from that cruise and I blame these threads for it. When I went to get out of bed to visit the restroom, upon throwing back the covers I saw these little "black" specs all over the sheets. I looked at Uncle Paulie and said "OMG! Bed bugs!". He said they weren't. I brushed whatever it was off the sheets, did my duty, crawled back in bed and had an incident free and restful sleep. They never appeared again either. I think they were poppy seeds; hubby says cotton pills from my T-shirt. Who knows!

I came home bite free and had a wonderful cruise!

I'm not buying the hotel managers position that NYC is the reason bed bugs might be on board. QE2, QM2, & Noordam use the same docks and nothing reported on board these ships. NCL's explanation of bed bugs and compensation offers made are reason enough for me to conclude there must be some type of validity to this story.

Oh yes....bedbugs are partial to just NCL. :rolleyes: People.....please!

Archived