Can you go to the beach in any port without booking an excursion

stuNYC

I love beaches. I have a picture of horseshoe bay beach in front of me while I am writing this. Every port on the Western Caribbean cruise that I am going on next Tuesday has a "shore excursion" to a specific beach. Can I go by taxi to these beaches on my own or do you have to pay the "excursion fee" to to acess these beaches. I don't care about free drinks or lunch. All I want is to be able to rent a beach chair. Under these circumstances, what beaches would you suggest in the following ports.

Cozumel

Costa Maya

Grand Cayman

Ocho Rios

Labadee

P.S. I don't snorkel, I just like the calming effect of waves and being in the water.

1st, Labadee IS a beach--that's what you do there--no excursion needed! (It's part of your cruise fare!!) As far as the others, YES--you grab a cab and go to the beach! But, before you go, go to the library and get a book on Caribbean Islands. (Fodor's or Frommer's both do great guide books!) Then you will know which beaches rent chairs, have food, etc... and you will know where to tell the taxi to go!

That's exactly what my wife and I do. This year we may even try to bring our own portable beach chairs. Go to the ports discussion board to get some good tips on which beaches to go to and the best ways to get there.

Theres a bunch of "beach clubs" in Cozumel. I'm not possitive, but I think the one we went to was called Paradise Beach Club. They only charged $5 for a chair, umbrella, and floatie. They have waiters to serve you lunch, snacks and cervesas in your lounge chair (for a few pesos more!), and a cab ride was only $10 or so.

We always like to hit "Panchos Backyard" for lunch after the beach too, great Mexican food, and nice shops. It is in "Los Cinco Sols" shopping center. While in Cozumel, make sure once you've told the cabbie where you want to go, that he actually drops you at that destination. They like to drop you about a mile away, and collect the full fare, which you have negotiated before hand! Panchos is in the opposite direction from the beaches, but the cabs aren't that expensive, and its worth the ride, imo!

Have a great trip.:) Los Cinco Soles has (had) a website with a coupon for Panchos Backyard, check it out! also, checkout http://www.paradisecozumel.com for the beach club

We love the beach too and always just go on our own.

I always pack a large nylon bag to take to the beach along with a twin sized flat sheet to lay on the sand to either sit on, or put our bags etc. on it if we rent chairs. (Chairs can be expensive to rent at $15 each and adds up for th week.)The cruiselines all give you towels for the beach and will be in your stateroom, or NCL has you pick them up in the atrium.

Here is what we have done in the past.

Cozumel: about an $8 cab ride to Chankanaab National Park which I agree is a beautifulplace to spend the day and a $10 admission. Not sure how it it since the hurricane hit last year though.

Jamaica: right where the ships dock is a place called Margaritaville with some shops, bar, and a small beach. It is a safe location. There are large water tramolines in the water that you can swim out to. We rented a van taxi before the beach and took a 2 hour tour for $100 for 6 of us.

Grand Cayman: When you get onshore there is an area at the dock and a list of resorts you can go to. There are vans right there to transport you with the cost $3 to $6 per person depending how far down 7 mile beach you go. You may want to read up on which beach/resort to choose as I don't recall which one we went too, but would chose another next time.

We have never been to Costa Maya and as another poster said, Labadee is a beach and read very good things about it.

Have a great time!!

Yes, you can take a cab to any beach on any of the islands, however, don't take a cab in Jamaica. If you want to go to the beach, go to Margaritaville and stay there. It is not safe to wander about Jamaica without a well respected tour guide. Go to the ports of call boards and look for a recommended tour guide.

In Cozumel, I head for Paradise Beach.

In Grand Cayman, I head for seven mile beach and just opt for one of the hotel beaches; the taxi drivers can make a recommendation.

I completely disagree with HurricaneSally's comment on Jamaica. It is my favorite island, I have done about 25 land vacations there and never felt threatened. While I agree the area where the ship docks is not the best, it seldom is. To spend a day at a place like Margaritaville is to miss the best Jamaicahas to offer.

I personally buy a day pass at an adult only AI but you can also buy a day pass at family oriented resorts. This gives you beach and pool access, water sports, food and drink. There is also a nice beach at the base of the falls. If you are in the mood for a good local restaurant for lunch, take a taxi to Almond Tree at the Hibiscus Lodge. It is lovely and truly Jamaican.

Have a great cruise!

Yes, you can take a cab to any beach on any of the islands, however, don't take a cab in Jamaica. If you want to go to the beach, go to Margaritaville and stay there. It is not safe to wander about Jamaica without a well respected tour guide. Go to the ports of call boards and look for a recommended tour guide.
I totally agree.We were approached a lot to buy drugs, aggresive vendors, always touching you, from now on when in Jamaica we stay on the ship and enjoy it. JMHO

Totally disagree, I've stayed in Jamaica 8x on land vacations. Totally safe if you keep your eyes open and your wits about you, which you should be doing anyway. Take cabs marked JUTA, there are tons of them, all licensed.

Your info about Jamaican cabs is wrong and inflammatory, period.

Totally disagree, I've stayed in Jamaica 8x on land vacations. Totally safe if you keep your eyes open and your wits about you, which you should be doing anyway. Take cabs marked JUTA, there are tons of them, all licensed.

Your info about Jamaican cabs is wrong and inflammatory, period.

And I respectfully but totally disagree with you.Your big "if" is to keep your eyes open and wits about you. Now a reasonable amout of caution is expected as you would at home ,but having been there many times I would rate Jamaica much more dangerous than the average US city. At least those areas where you would expect a tourist to be. The naivete of thie original posters question as to whether they could go to a beach on their own without an excursion indicates that they are not the same experience traveler that you are, and should not wander about in Jamaica.

And I respectfully but totally disagree with you.Your big "if" is to keep your eyes open and wits about you. Now a reasonable amout of caution is expected as you would at home ,but having been there many times I would rate Jamaica much more dangerous than the average US city. At least those areas where you would expect a tourist to be. The naivete of thie original posters question as to whether they could go to a beach on their own without an excursion indicates that they are not the same experience traveler that you are, and should not wander about in Jamaica.

And I respectfully disagree :). The only truly dangerous part of Jamaica where most tourists, and certainly not cruisers, very rarely venture to, is Kingston. Yes there are parts of MoBay where you don't want to venture into, just like most North American cities however pretty much the entire north coast from Negril to east of Ocho Rios is a tourist area and relatively safe. To give Jamaica a blanket "no-go" is wrong IMHO.

And I respectfully disagree :). The only truly dangerous part of Jamaica where most tourists, and certainly not cruisers, very rarely venture to, is Kingston. Yes there are parts of MoBay where you don't want to venture into, just like most North American cities however pretty much the entire north coast from Negril to east of Ocho Rios is a tourist area and relatively safe. To give Jamaica a blanket "no-go" is wrong IMHO.

BobSeaSea, I am with you 100%. I have stayed in all the major tourist areas, in all types of inns, hotels, AIs and villas. I was much more uncomfortable in St. Thomas on my one land trip there than I have ever been in 25+ land vacations and a dozen port stops in Jamaica.

I have also travelled solo in Jamaica and have never felt intimidated.

BobSeaSea, I am with you 100%. I have stayed in all the major tourist areas, in all types of inns, hotels, AIs and villas. I was much more uncomfortable in St. Thomas on my one land trip there than I have ever been in 25+ land vacations and a dozen port stops in Jamaica.

I have also travelled solo in Jamaica and have never felt intimidated.

Archived