A Pleasant Day Aboard Noordam

dougnewmanatsea

Dear All,

Today I had a very enjoyable day aboard the fourth NOORDAM, the newest member of the Holland America Line fleet.

Some of you may remember that I sailed in ZUIDERDAM during her inaugural season. I was eager to compare the first and last ships of the Vista-class quartet and to see what progress had been made.

I was not especially impressed by ZUIDERDAM - I actually didn't mind her much-maligned, very bright decor, but everything seemed just a little bit "off". I didn't like our cabin (large, but I didn’t like the layout); the food, while good was not really memorable; and the service was satisfactory but not special… Somehow there was just the pervasive feeling at the time that everything wasn't 100% ready and what it should have been. (I should point out that that was the only time I’ve ever sailed in a brand-new ship, let alone the first of her class – something I am not especially eager to repeat.) Perhaps as a result of my slight disappointment at that cruise – and it was a good cruise; just not nearly as good as I know HAL can be and usually is – I was never quite able to warm to the Vista-class vessels. As NOORDAM seems to be widely acknowledged as the best of the class (and as the newest, so she should be), I was interested to see if the subtle changes that separate her from the older sisters could change my mind.

Because I was only lukewarm about ZUIDERDAM, I really didn’t expect to like NOORDAM all that much. After all, how different can two virtually identical ships be? I am happy to report that I really was pleasantly surprised by NOORDAM. The “feel” on board was genuinely different. A lot of this is “software” – ZUIDERDAM, to me, did not feel like a “happy ship” at the particular time I sailed in her, with everyone worrying about the plumbing and the HVAC and the vibration and all those new-ship jitters. On the other hand, NOORDAM felt happy. This is honestly the biggest difference I can think of between the two. I can usually tell within an hour of boarding a ship if everything is “on the dot”. NOORDAM was one of the ships that felt that way.

But on the hardware end of things, while NOORDAM is basically the same ship as ZUIDERDAM, many "little things" have been changed and the sum total is a ship that seems that little bit more refined and "right".

The most obvious change is that the upper decks are just a bit longer to fit in more cabins and thus making the aft terraces slightly less steep. I guess this is fine – it increases the passenger capacity slightly, but there is plenty of space aboard these ships anyway. I am not a balcony aficionado, but I’m sure plenty of others have covered the effect on the size and layout of the aft balconies (personally, I couldn’t care less).

Inside the ship there are some interesting changes too. The whole atrium area has been reworked: the top level, Deck 3, houses the Ocean Bar and while the literal bar was partitioned off by a bulkhead on the other ships, it’s now actually open to the atrium. One deck down is the Pinnacle Grill, which has been slightly expanded by removing its bar and relocating it to the much larger space across the atrium, which on the older ships houses the Windstar Café (coffee bar – pretty, but underused). The Pinnacle itself used to be screened off from the atrium, but now it is totally open to the atrium for the few tables that are directly adjacent to the atrium balcony. The rest of the tables are behind bulkheads and totally separate. Having a formal extra-tariff restaurant open to the atrium is certainly an interesting concept. (Cunard didn’t like this idea so in ARCADIA – which was of course supposed to be their QUEEN VICTORIA – they installed a huge curtain in the atrium, allegedly as an art installation.) Fortunately the atrium is generally a quite space aboard these ships so it should not be a problem, and anyway it is only a small portion of tables that are “open”. Personally, I actually rather liked it. Combined with the Ocean Bar above, the result is to make the atrium lighter and more open and a more horizontal, less vertical space. I really liked the little atrium area aboard NOORDAM – not a space I remember spending much time in aboard ZUIDERDAM, this one felt much more open and inviting.

The other space that is quite different is the Explorations Café. This is the old Erasmus Library, Internet Café and Java Corner (which contrary to its name was never a coffee bar aboard the Vistas – that was the Windstar Café) that have now been combined into one space. Well, almost: a structural bulkhead that couldn’t be removed separated the Internet Café from the Library and Java Corner, and as a result that portion of Explorations is still pretty well separated from the rest. This makes the space not nearly as nice as it is on the R- and S-class ships, where it is one large open space and one of my very favorite rooms aboard those ships. Nonetheless, NOORDAM’s version is still very nice – when I first heard of the Explorations concept I was skeptical, but in fact it works very well and really has become the “living room” of the ship. The only downside is that the name “Explorations Café” sounds an awful lot like “Explorers Lounge”, another signature HAL space that I really like. Similarly, all the Vista-class ships have both a Vista Lounge (main lounge) and Vista Dining Room (main dining room), which are at opposite ends of the ship and inevitably cause confusion. But name aside, I do like Explorations very much and I expect to see other lines copying this soon.

Other than those outlined above, the only differences I can think of that separate NOORDAM from the other Vistas are the décor and artwork, which here is more restrained than aboard her sisters, especially ZUIDERDAM. I always enjoy Frans Dingemans’ creations and NOORDAM is no exception. She does not quite reach the level of the exquisite ROTTERDAM, but nonetheless her interiors are still among the most attractive I’ve seen on a modern ship. They avoid the blandness of a Princess ship, the gaudiness of a Carnival ship and the self-conscious nostalgia of a recent Cunarder. Instead they sit in a place somewhere in between the three, and are far nicer in my mind than any of the others.

The ship of course has the distinctive HAL/Dingemans look and feel: despite being not bland, not gaudy etc., HAL ships still have as distinctive a look and feel as those of any cruise line in business today and NOORDAM is no different. Because they are all clearly from the same mold and yet have different color schemes, artwork, furniture and so on, HAL’s newbuilds of the past decade or so all look and feel unmistakably like HAL ships and yet unlike, for example, the Princess ships, each HAL ship still has her own character and unique points.

With NOORDAM, the balance between “tasteful” and “interesting” is just about right: the color scheme is somewhere in between the bright Crayola colors of ZUIDERDAM and the bland pastels of Princess; the artwork is both attractive and interesting, of course including Stephen Card’s magnificent paintings and various other HAL goodies (posters, tiles, etc.) and overall everything just looks and feels “right”.

Dingemans always uses an interesting range of textures and materials – one reason I like his designs so much – and with NOORDAM we again have the usual range running through wood, brass, leather, suede, marble, granite, glass and just about everything else you can think of. And yet, somehow it all works! Unlike ZUIDERDAM, which had a bit of sloppy finish work here and there (no doubt all sorted out by now), NOORDAM’s fit finish is very nice and all the details seem to have been well attended to. As an example, the smoking room aboard ZUIDERDAM had a beautiful fireplace mantle but in the middle of it was simply a blank piece of something (metal or plastic or…?) covered in a felt-like material. The same room aboard NOORDAM still has a faux fireplace but this time it has a faux hearth too, and as a result looks infinitely better. All throughout the ship there are differences like that that make her seem more of a “finished product” and just that little bit more polished.

Of course, aside from the “hardware”, the ship herself, there are always the “software” matters. I was very impressed by the embarkation which was astonishingly organized for a ship visit at the West Side piers – well, just the fact that it WAS organized was impressive as these events in that particular location usually aren’t! HAL eschewed an organized tour and instead let us wonder around on our own; this was fine with me, as I knew just what I wanted to see. A nice deck plan brochure was provided to aid one’s way around for those who weren’t already familiar with the Vistas, as many of us already were. Lunch was in the Pinnacle Grill and was quite nice – there was a bit of grumbling from some about portion sizes (not huge) but the food was of excellent quality and very attractively presented. And of course, there was the warm and friendly feeling one always gets on HAL from the wonderful Indonesian and Filipino crew whose great service is undoubtedly one of the biggest reasons that so many people return time and time again to HAL.

All in all, it was a very nicely done event aboard a very nice ship, one which I would have no reservations about sailing in. Yes, she’s a bit bigger than I like, and yes, given the choice I’d still take an S-class or R-class ship, but nonetheless NOORDAM proved to me that my slightly underwhelming ZUIDERDAM experience a few years ago probably made me underestimate the Vistas. NOORDAM is really a nice evolution of this design and I will be very interested to see how the Singature-class – the next, ever so slightly larger HAL ships – improve even further on the Vista-class design.

As always, thanks to the good people at HAL for their hospitality and to the Steamship Historical Society of America Long Island Chapter for their hard work in organizing this event.

Doug,

Thanks for the review. I loved the comparisons. The Noordam does sound more like a "finished product". It is amazing that sometimes changing some little things can make such a difference.

Glad you enjoyed your day. :)

Host Doug:

I learn so much from your posts! Thanks for a wonderful comparison between the first of the Vista ships, and the newest. Your profile states that you are a student/travel writer. Where can I find your work? Have you ever written a book on the history/development of cruising? If you wrote a book about HAL, I would buy it!:)

Karin

Doug you described Noordam so well.

We think they 'got it right' on Noordam and smoothed out some of the wrinkles that exist ? (ed) on Zuiderdam.

We are very excited and eager to sail her in January. We've been waiting a long time for our cruise on her to finally get here.

Doug, I couldn't agree more. While we enjoyed the Zuiderdam (in spite of all the negativity toward her during her inaugural season) I found the Noordam to be just as you described. HAL got it "right" with most everything. She's a lovely ship with a wonderful crew. All who sail her are in for a treat.

Great abilities are always seen in your skills of conveying your meaning in words written well.

Kudos..

on the ms Noordam IV there are still only now a few cabins available on the Black Saturday Launch rfrom Manhattan Island Borough... Mid Town...

Go for it... hope to see you aboard..

This cruise time is going to have as of now the fullest ship since the 02/22/2006 AD festivities...

Three Thumbs UP

^!^!^!

Dear Doug,

Thank you for your observations and mini-review of the Noordam. Your remarks are very much in-line with my own opinions as articulated in my review of the Noordam from her Maiden Voyage in Feb/March of this year.

One point, however.

The Zaandam's Explorations Cafe layout (the first I've seen on the Rs) is not exactly one large room. It's actually broken into three large areas roughly equivalent to the older enclosed spaces in those areas, and all semi-devided by walls and the Explorations "bar."

Check my photos from the Voyage of the Spammed to see how these divisions still exist:

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/spaamdam/PhotoAlbum126.html

Yes, the space is "open" ... but it's also divided so as to make smaller areas. I LOVE the layout.

On the Noordam this is done on not-so-large of scale ... and, you are correct ... the Library really is separated off from the Explorations Cafe FAR MORE SO than on the R. Here are my photos (I plan on better photos from my next trip aboard the Noordam in January):

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/noordaminaugral/PhotoAlbum94.html

In some ways, keeping the Library separate from the Explorations Cafe keeps it quieter in there and, hence, easier to read or write.

The Zaandam's Explorations Cafe layout (the first I've seen on the Rs) is not exactly one large room. It's actually broken into three large areas

Yes, to me it is one large room broken up into three large areas :) .

The one on NOORDAM is two completely separate rooms. I guess that is what I was trying to describe... Well, you've seen both so you know what I was trying to describe, I guess :) .

Yes, the space is "open" ... but it's also divided so as to make smaller areas. I LOVE the layout.

Yes, it works brilliantly doesn't it? NOORDAM's is nice but a slight disappointment compared to the R-class Explorations.

Doug --

A simply wonderful review and, having just finished my cruise on the Noordam, I can see every piece of wood in the Explorations Cafe in your description.

I found the first floor section of the Atrium to be a big disappointment. The other ships I've been on incorporated the Atrium from the base right to the top. In the Noordam, the Atrium was cluttered and the magnificent view was distracted. It was more of a functional space than an introduction to what was to come, unlike, say, the Amsterdam or the Rotterdam.

I'm very glad that you and "speakertosuits" wrote serious, thought out, reviews and hope that someone else will do the same, because the Noordam, despite its size, is just a marvelous, classy ship.

I found the first floor section of the Atrium to be a big disappointment. The other ships I've been on incorporated the Atrium from the base right to the top.

Not sure what you mean by "incorporating the atrium from the base right to the top" - from the base to the top of what?

Sorry, I just don't follow there.

I do agree that the atrium spaces on the pre-Vista-class ships are more dramatic, but the Vista-class atrium is more useful whereas the others basically are just wasted space.

Not sure what you mean by "incorporating the atrium from the base right to the top" - from the base to the top of what?
From the floor of the atrium to as high as it goes -- possibly three or four decks.

For instance, one of the ships has a very large, multi-faced clock. There is something to look at on the lowest floor. I think the CD and others have offices down there. On the second floor, adjacent to the clock itself, are the Front Office and Shorex. Further up, you can look down on the clock, as well as the space surrounding it and the Front Office / Shorex area. It is open and there is "action" from bottom to top.

The Veendam is much the same, with the green glass sculpture.

The Noordam, however, has a rather cluttered ground floor with little to recommend it. The sculpture does not start anywhere near it, but around Deck 3, above the restaurant. There is little excitement built into the Atrium until you get higher in the ship; I think this is a mistake. From a use standpoint, there is less "wasted space," but that is what an atrium should be -- open and beautiful, not just a hanging ornament visible from a deck that has an occasionally open glass staircase.

IMO.

Yes, to me it is one large room broken up into three large areas :) .

The one on NOORDAM is two completely separate rooms. I guess that is what I was trying to describe... Well, you've seen both so you know what I was trying to describe, I guess :) .

Yes, it works brilliantly doesn't it? NOORDAM's is nice but a slight disappointment compared to the R-class Explorations.

I agree with the comparison. The Noordam's Explorations Cafe is just not as impressive in retrospect as those on the R class ships, like the Zaandam. The first Explorations Cafe I ever saw was the one on the Noordam, and I really liked it -- it is FAR superior to this same area as found on the other 3 Vistas; I DO hope they upgrade the other Vistas with the Explorations Cafe. However, the execution of the Explorations Cafe on the R class ships is truly a superior product. Originally, I was VERY worried that they were going to RUIN that area of the ship with this upgrade -- I had mental images of a loud, crowded Starbucks, cold glass and metal, and no books. Boy, was I wrong. :)

The Noordam, however, has a rather cluttered ground floor with little to recommend it. The sculpture does not start anywhere near it, but around Deck 3, above the restaurant. There is little excitement built into the Atrium until you get higher in the ship; I think this is a mistake. From a use standpoint, there is less "wasted space," but that is what an atrium should be -- open and beautiful, not just a hanging ornament visible from a deck that has an occasionally open glass staircase.

I suppose this just goes to illustrate the fact that different people have different tastes and different opinions. I LOVE the openness of the Vista's Atria. The space is small, as it is, so cluttering it with some big monstrosity (like the Zaandam's ugly Organ or the Volendam's Warp Core) would be just awful. As it is, those down on Main Deck at the Martini Bar have a wonderful open space above their heads, with a beautiful MOVING compass that changes colors hanging at the top. It makes for a very lovely space.

atrium1c.jpg

From the floor of the atrium to as high as it goes -- possibly three or four decks.

What you're saying here is that you like the artwork that goes all the way from the bottom to the top of the atrium, right?

Now I get it.

that is what an atrium should be -- open and beautiful, not just a hanging ornament visible from a deck that has an occasionally open glass staircase.

An atrium is just an open area that is two or more stories high. The one on the Vistas is a small atrium... The other ships have a bigger one.

For what it's worth, it seems to me that the atrium on the other ships is merely a place to pass through, whereas people actually might spend time in the Vista-class one - indeed, with a bar and/or lounge on each of the three decks, people are bound to.

Doug - Great review and comparison! We have been on all of the Vista class ships (full compass I guess) and the Noordam as the best. We sailed last spring when it was really new and they were already "on the dot" as you would say. They obviously worked hard to really get it right.

The other thing I learned was that because the ship was so new, there were more than the usual number of travel agents on board as well as some reviewers. In fact the CC review was written on our cruise. Jason, a great cruise director we have sailed with before told us that HA gave him a larger than usual budget to work with. They had the best singers and dancers specially selected from all the ships, more money to spend on entertainers which were, except for one, the best we have experienced (I almost had to see the ship's doctor as I laughed so hard at Michael Ziegfeld's act I thought I was going to die!) They also had some HA brass on board like the PR director. Most of the officers showed up at an informal reception in the crow's nest before lunch for CC'ers and the Q&A lasted quite a while with them asking us many questions too.

This was also the first time they offered a backstage tour. It was great as Jason explained all of the investment they had made, the technology, we walked backstage and saw everything including dressing rooms, etc., and they had the performers there to answer every question we had about them, how their contracts worked, what life is like for them on the ship, how they are auditioned and trained, and we saw the extensive and very expensive costumes - some were very heavy and probably hot. But the dancers didn't show us how fast they could change their outfits - never hurts to ask!

Great ship and great cruise.

Rev Neal said:

I suppose this just goes to illustrate the fact that different people have different tastes and different opinions. Those down on Main Deck at the Martini Bar have a wonderful open space above their heads, with a beautiful MOVING compass that changes colors hanging at the top.
I'll buy that, but in buying it let me add that I was never at the Martini Bar and never saw it the way it appears in your photo. I'll have to take another look in April, five months and five days from now.

Gyro..not the Greek food ...

Yes the Gyroscope in the Atrium is wonderful ..but how come nobody mentioned it is Imorted Designer Leaded Glass yet here... Crystal.

And a Worldfamous designer too. My FIL has over Seven US Patents and loved it.

:cool:

Doug

If you happen to run into PRESTY the head steward, just tell him my 3 year old son Aaren says hi.

I enjoyed the Noordam so much that I can't wait to cruise with her again.

p.s. If your cruise include an Indonesian Crew Show, DON'T MISS IT. It was the best show I've seen on board. Presty will tell you all about it.

Archived