Live from the Pride - So. Caribbean

SantaAna,CA

Jane,

Thank you for your kind words~~~but we all know "it takes a Seabourn village to complete our luxury fun-filled package!"

Pictures of Jan, David E., Eric, Captain Rodahl, myself and fellow merrymaker's can be seen on Norman's site:

http://www.pbase.com/norm2002/texas2003

I know all of you are looking forward to the Mayreau Beach Barbeque and Party~~~~it's quite a festivity! Take your camera!:confused:

A toast to you: "Amigos Para Siempre"

Martita

Hi All, Sorry not to have posted until now, but my DH has been hogging the computer. He has been frustrated at the experience. Knocked off frequently, if he can get on at all. He did bring a laptop, so we can use it in our cabin. Sometimes.

We LOVE Seabourne. Jane and Paul have kept you up to date on our whereabouts, so I won't go into that again. I will tell you we both are very impressed with the service and the ship. The food is fabulous. We were lucky to be invited to the Captains table for the Gala formal dinner. He's a very cool guy. Funny, too. Had a lovely dinner and enjoyed our tablemates.

Last night, dinner in our room. Perfect. And I remembered to order lamb chops for breakfast in our room, as I had forgotten to add them on previous days. A lovely breakfast. Enough about food, you can tell we are enjoying it !!!

Scheduled to go snorkeling from a catamarran today. Will try to post later.

Linda

Interesting temperature zones we are traveling through. Tobago, rainy, humid, cloudy. Margarita, hot, arid. Grenada, a touch more humid, and sizzling sunshine. Is there anything more incredible than waking up, looking out and seeing the sun sparkling on the water from your window on Seabourn? I don't know. But Grenada is full of sunshine today. The more southerly Caribbean islands are a lot more lush than the Eastern Caribbean I visited in April. Grenada is hilly, narrow streets absolutely packed with cars and people. I did get two dives today, although the past two days they said they've had rough waters and the visibility wasn't so great. We did happen upon a huge school of silver fish, surrounding us with avid interest. "What were those"? I asked the divemaster when we surfaced. "Barracuda". Hm.

Have taken myself out of the sun after visiting the bow (scalding) and the pool. I see the Pride has portholes in the pool where people can see you thrashing about in the water if they happen to be walking through the club! Makes me wish I had lost those last 10 pounds! The jacuzzis on deck 7 are shut down, they are going to be setting up for Rock the Boat tonight. I am dining at Toby's table, Toby is one of the entertainers that I have yet to meet. It's so nice being invited, as a single, to dine with others. Just one of many Seabourn's pleasures.

I agree with nanagirl, the off again on again WiFi connection is driving me bonkers as well. Elegant casual tonight. St. Lucia tomorrow. I'm diving with the shop that I missed on my last cruise....when I contacted them thinking they were going to pick me up in Marigot, St. Martin, not Marigot, St. Lucia. Fortunately for me, they didn't hold it against me! Later, gators.

Jane :)

Jane mentioned St. George's being packed with people. Oh, yeah. I made the mistake of thinking I would just "walk around" a little in port. And they all want "you"...taxi, excursion...even a friendly personal guide around the market. I had to pay a guy (okay, he just "asked" for a tip!) to leave me alone! Spices, spices, spices...all the same ones, packaged the same, marketed the same. Prices? I'm sure all the same.... How anyone can expect that some 20-30 vendors, all selling exactly the same thing, can possibly make any headway baffles me. I was so "turned off" to the spices that I bought a bottle of hot sauce (locally made) in the Cruise Center shops on my way back. 30 minutes was too much for me! I know these people "need" our money, but....:eek:

Leaving the SkyBar this afternoon to clean up for dinner, I ran across a Cruise Critic "lurker" :eek: :D Beware, CCers! Beware! We are not alone! :D ;) Of course, if I didn't have my CC bag with me, I'd never been "found out"....!!

Just realized today that the Bar Manager, Gerhardt, was on the Legend last April. We finally recognized each other...ok, I finally realized I had seen him on the Legend. He's 2 months into his new duties on the Pride. Nelson continues to train his helpers and reminds me a lot of Maciek, now Sommelier on the Legend. Apparently Nelson, from Chile, is maybe the longest-tenured Seabourn employee on the Sisters. He's a gem. What a great smile (when you can coax it out of him!!!) (What is it about those SkyBar bartenders, anyway?? !!!!!)

Looking forward to the show tonight...the singers have all worked together for a while now; the "new" link is a new drummer. Something tells me it will all work out well...as Seabourn makes it happen!

Paul

the other one

Paul,,,

the Spice ladies in Grenada have not changed since the early 80s. On my first trip there one followed us around 1/2 mile trying to sell us a basket of spice. On my second trip with my bearded brother, well he got offer a different type of spice.:eek:

What is it about those SkyBar bartenders, anyway?? !!!!!)

I know you guys LOVE the Sky Bar but the grumpest person I meet on the Pride was the heavier set Sky Bar bartender.

Beware, CCers! Beware! We are not alone!

On my short Silversea's cruise I had dinner two nights in a row with the same two guys. On the second night one of the guys turned to me and said "Hi Blackbird" ... Me... who would have known........ Now only do they turn up on the ships but the read what people post ... :D:D

Paul,,,

the Spice ladies in Grenada have not changed since the early 80s. On my first trip there one followed us around 1/2 mile trying to sell us a basket of spice. On my second trip with my bearded brother, well he got offer a different type of spice.:eek:

Guess I just wasn't quite "prepared" for the bombardment!!

I would strongly suggest either acquiring a cab quickly, take a ship tour, or not bother to "walk" into St. George's. All the spices (and I mean ALL of them!) are available in the Cruise Center, should one wish to purchase....

I know you guys LOVE the Sky Bar but the grumpest person I meet on the Pride was the heavier set Sky Bar bartender.

I think, with all due respect to BB, I'll just suggest we agree to disagree about this one! :D :)

On my short Silversea's cruise I had dinner two nights in a row with the same two guys. On the second night one of the guys turned to me and said "Hi Blackbird" ... Me... who would have known........ Now only do they turn up on the ships but the read what people post ... :D

Interesting bunch, those "lurkers" (!). Think I'll leave it at that! ;)

Shortly after pulling away from the pier, the sky opened! Lots of hustling involved...Sky Grill Evening cancelled (probably why I've been waiting for 45 minutes for Room Service to return my call! Bet there's some "hopping" going on in Room Service tonight they weren't expecting!), "Flambe Under the Stars" cancelled (whatever that would have been!), and the "Rock the Boat" Show moved to the Club.

Before the rain began, a Windstar ship sailed away, with all the masts lit up...it was quite a sight, to be sure, as sunset had passed! All in all, just another lovely Seabourn Day! Tomorrow is Marigot Beach day for Paul, (sunbunny he's become) in St. Lucia.

Jane (SantaAnaCA) was certainly gracious in her description of my attire for formal night! Got some cute photos of her & Nelson who (unfortunately for him!) was passing by as we left dinner last night! Another Kodak/Seabourn moment, to be sure!

A pleasant evening to all....

Paul

who, just yesterday morning, realized everything was okay...he was ON VACATION...and has since adjusted quite well, thankyouverymuch

Wonderful descriptions Paul and Jane and Linda ... makes me feel like I am there ... okay I will be in just a few days:D:p:D

How many Sky Grill Evenings have been scheduled? I bet room service has its hands full with all the changes.

Linda thanks for sharing your food observations ... so very important;) Thanks for the reminder on lamb chops for breakfast.

I love he fact that you are having a good time. From the "trappings'..it is understood..the weather is ever changing..and..you are in the Carib...which isn't Europe. Your attitude is that of a true Seabourn traveler. Continue to enjoy..and many more wonderful travels. Hope that we end up on the same ship one of these days..Lola

Waterford 808 we can dine at 2 and call the evening 2 at 2 :p The only drawback to the trip is that it's too short:( I haven't been on a 7 day cruise in a while and my last one was 21 days so I want to experience everything that is offered:) Just got in from my day and it's 9:15pm. I started out at 5:30am going to the spa and I'm having some Texas hot okra pickles for my dessert :p My New year's resolution is to cook something next year !!!:rolleyes:

Thank you Paul and Jane et al for your posts. Glad you've been mentioning your next stops. Turns out my sister was in the big boat parked next to you in Grenada (the 2000 passenger Sun Princess) I told my sister to ask every guy she saw getting off the Pride if they were Paul, but she didn't honor my request. I would have in her place.

Jackie

P.S. going to be calling my TA tomorrow to make the final payment, so be meeting you in three months Paul.

Took the 8:15 am tour to Marigot Beach Resort, about a dozen in a mini-van. Full, but comfortable. It was overcast, and relatively cool! We were given beach loungers and had to place them where we "guessed" their "might" be some "sun" (sometimes I get editorially-over-abundant!). Shortened our stay by about a half-hour. Very lazy time, very comfortable lounging at the water's edge, and virtually no sun in evidence. At least we got back to the ship before the first sprinkle hit us. The rest of the day will likely be more of the same, which cuts back the need for sunscreen if out!

Note from dinner last evening: After an hour, I called Room Service again, and mentioned that no one had contacted me for my order. Three minutes later, phone call from RS asking for my order. Three minutes after that, the original operator called again to see if I had been contacted. 25 minutes later, my dinner arrived. I had suggested that, for brevity's sake(!), they could just serve it all at once! I think my waiter was happy for that.

DisneyJen:

I think last night would have been the 2nd Sky Grill night, but it was flooded out.

Lola:

Thanks for the kind words...I look forward to sailing aboard with you & your DH, as well!

John III:

Okay...."2 at 2" works for me! I wish I had a better work situation to allow a 14- or 21-day adventure, but I just can't now....I do have a deposit on the Legend March '08 TA, so will have to figure out how I'll handle that! A lovely problem to have to solve, to be sure!

Jackie:

Too bad your sister missed me! LOL But I was off, and then on, the boat so quickly she never had a chance! I'll look forward to seeing you on the Legend in March!

Matt:

Maybe this afternoon I'll download my camera and see what I've got to post.... Don't know if I should post a pic of Jane without asking her permission. She was to go on a dive this morning, so I may see her upstairs later on....

Time to go check out some lunch...thanks to all for comments, questions and well-wishes! Tonight, dinner with the Ship Services Engineer (whatever he does!) Michael Price. Then, sail to Mayreau, Grenadines for our Beach BBQ...cross a few fingers for us! :D

Paul

a cloudy day on SB is better than no day on SB!!!

DisneyJen:

I think last night would have been the 2nd Sky Grill night, but it was flooded out...Then, sail to Mayreau, Grenadines for our Beach BBQ...cross a few fingers for us! :D

Paul

a cloudy day on SB is better than no day on SB!!!

Yikes Paul! I have my fingers and toes crossed for good weather for tomorrow for you!

As always, thanks for the reports!

Yikes Paul! I have my fingers and toes crossed for good weather for tomorrow for you!

When we were with Captain G-A on the Legend (and soon taking command of the Pride) keeping our fingers and toers crossed for the weather X-ing business has worked out very well for us and hopefully come through for the Pride White Castle.

Blue skies, sunny days and calm seas! :)

Paul was right, unfortunately the sun never came out today. St. Lucia is a breathtakingly beautiful island. I had a two tank dive and was driven to the other side of the island via windy roads in a small car going very fast. It was rather thrilling. The dive was good, not great visibility, but saw lots of pretty coral, one in particular which seemed a luminiscent (sp?) lavender. After we left the boat and were walking to the van, I crossed a little wooden bridge through a grove of fascinating mangrove trees....birds were squawking from above, very exotic. That is the first time I've seen them, how amazing and unusual they are.

Got back a bit late, about 3pm, starving. First time to tea at 4 and were those scones good. What a lovely tea Seabourn serves. Such friendly people on board too, a couple I had dinner with the other night immediately invited me to sit with them. If you are traveling solo, you feel so welcomed and included on this line.

Tonight I have an invitation to dine with the Engineer. Another dive tomorrow in St. Vincent. I wish I could have seen St. Lucia in the sun; a hundred different hues of green, would have been even prettier I'm sure.

Hope you all are well and those about to sail, I'm excited for you. Talk more tomorrow.

Got back a bit late, about 3pm, starving. First time to tea at 4 and were those scones good. What a lovely tea Seabourn serves. Such friendly people on board too, a couple I had dinner with the other night immediately invited me to sit with them. If you are traveling solo, you feel so welcomed and included on this line.

In 17 cruises I have done tea maybe 4 times. On my Seabourn trip 3 times. :) I am not a Sky Bar person, but I enjoyed meeting an talking to ppl at tea time. I sat with David E one time with another couple. If is wasn't for my two 7 1/2 hour tour days, I probably would have did it more.

OK sidenote: :)

Last week made final payement for Mar 4.

Today booked Air and overnight hotel in St. Thomas..... :) I am ready...

Jane is right, the scones with clotted cream and either strawberry or raspberry jam are not too shabby! I was very proud of myself during the crossing as I did not go for tea (the scones actually) once during the crossing. I was so proud of myself, as if I had gone to tea, after 17 days I would have been offloaded from the ship in FLL as cargo! :eek: And DHL would have thought that I was the third piece of freight to be shipped home. :p

Continued happy times to all aboard the Pride! :)

For the first couple of weeks we didnt "do tea".......could never say you were hungry, so opted for the "seniors snooze" in the afternoon instead....then we discovered afternoon tea........I have already told the story how hubby only had ONE pair of trousers that still fitted when we got to Rome! So yes...we were like cargo when we were forcibly removed from the Spirit! I realised then that the crew did tell us fibs, there WERE calories on Seabourn :eek:

Of course I put all the blame on Chef Markus....(but I do hope he is on our next cruise!!);)

Just reading about the scones could put pounds on! Maybe a nap is the better part of valor, especially if we meet at the Skybar before lunch.

On our last SB cruise we had a wonderful group of friends fondly know as the "get drunk at lunch bunch" - most certainly an bit overstated - but we did have a wonderful nap later in the afternoon thanks to some bloody mary's and margaritas!

Sorry, got my ports backwards. Tomorrow is Mayreau, and the beach barbeque is planned. We are hoping for good weather.

Dinner tonight was the chef's sampler, absolutely delicious. I sat with a lively group at the engineer's table. Had a wonderful time.

Have a lovely evening, hope to report on the barbeque tomorrow!

Jane

Sorry, got my ports backwards. Tomorrow is Mayreau, and the beach barbeque is planned. We are hoping for good weather.

Jane

This is confusing me. :p My beach BBQ was on Friday and one reason I did not play with the water toys was I had to pack Friday night and I did not want to deal with wet things.....

BB still waiting for that picture of Jane in her formal dress and pink tank.:D

Sidenote to the Beach BBQ.....

One of the things I really liked about it was there was, outside of the band, nobody there but guests and crew. :) I did not give it a thought to leave my expensive camera on a table as I went for food. Love that type of security and please of mind.

Archived