Upgrade--What is One To Do?

WNYCRUISER

Sailed in March on Noordam...11 Day...VC Category...(wonderful trip)

Reserved VC for upcoming cruise. Received offer and susequently upgraded to SY for 200.00pp

Now offering 399.00pp to upgrade to SA

A bit more money for the extra space, but in all, works out cheaper than what was paid in March for the VC.

In all, that is 599.00pp extra to go from VC to SA

What would you do?

Take the upgrade!! You will never get that kind of service at that price again. We upgraded on the November 4th Cruise. It was fabulous:

1. Free laundry and drycleaning (and superb service by the stewards)

2. Use of the Neptune Lounge (fabulous, coffee, cappucino, latte, espresso and elegant canapes and pastries as well as candy all day long.

3. Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill

4. Concierge service with a smile to handle everything

5. Captain's reception and cocktail party in the Neptune lounge as well as a private elegant luncheon in the Crow's Nest

6. Priority Everything

I'm with RuthC on this one. Keep the VC and cruise again soon!! Just book it now while you still think you have the $599 pp available to spend. Reality rears it's ugly head and you'll find other places to spend it that won't be near as much fun.

I'd take the upgrade too. For us it isn't some much the cost of the cruise as it is getting the most for our week of vacation since there are only 3 weeks in the year we can cruise HAL in the Caribbean. Still wishing they would have one ship in the Caribbean in the summer.

I also wish HAL would keep at least one ship in the Caribbean during the summer. I also wish they did 4-5 day cruises to the Bahamas on a regular basis. We do one 7-day cruise almost every year, but now that we live in Florida we can more easily get away from work to also do several 4-5 day cruises. We live close to Jacksonville, so we have taken two 4-day cruises this year on the Carnival Celebration -- DH and I had fun, but it's just not HAL! We will sail on the Zuiderdam next week on the 16th -- can't wait!!

I digress. Back to the upgrade -- it would depend upon how many cruises you take each year. If several, put the extra towards another cruise. If only once, take the upgrade and enjoy the luxury!! Bon voyage!

Holland America - 2004, 2006

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

Be careful, very very careful. Since we first tried the concierge level of service on cruise ships we have never looked back, to the point where we do not sail until we can afford to get to that level. It really spoils you.

To our family this is really a quantity vs quality issue and I would take the upgrade without hesitation.

But a mention on HAL quality. Even the most basic inside cabin on HAL has superior service to most other lines concierge service, and one of the things that we like is that there is not a marked distinction of service between the room categories. The suites have extras on top of what is already great service but be forewarned that once you have these services it's really tough to get the genie back into the bottle.......

We just cruised the Zuiderdam in an SZ (6052).

We loved it and the cabin/balcony was HUGE!! (Just as big as our hotel room the night before.) For me, the additional $800 total for an SA from an SY is not worth the $75/day difference. Again, your asking for opinions here, and that is mine...:D

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

We loved it and the cabin/balcony was HUGE!! (Just as big as our hotel room the night before.) For me, the additional $800 total for an SA from an SY is not worth the $75/day difference. Again, your asking for opinions here, and that is mine...:D

I have been in 6052 and you are right! Loved that huge balcony and the extra interior space!

Maybe we should start a false rumor that this is a bad cabin....make it more likely we can book it.:)

Reserved VC for upcoming cruise. Received offer and susequently upgraded to SY for 200.00pp

A bit more money for the extra space, but in all, works out cheaper than what was paid in March for the VC.

What would you do?

I am guessing that you are from Western New York State area.

What does VC, SA, SY terms mean and what is the difference?

Thanks,

Robb

What would you do?

WNY cruiser: I am thinking that you must be from Western New York state. What does these VC, SA, SY things all mean and what are the differences? I am planning a cruise on the Voldendam in Nov 2007

Thanks,

Robb

Archived