Which would you choose: inside or OV??

Dorie7

Just curious...

Is there any situation in which an inside cabin would be preferable to an ocean view cabin, if the price is the same?

I'm wondering because friends had the chance to upgrade their cabin (free) from inside on deck 10 to an ov on deck 4 and they were told to stay with the inside because their room was better. this confuses me because I thought any room with a window is better than any room on the inside.

Any ideas?

Dorie

The ocean view cabin may not be as good as the inside, due to location, size. Depending on where their inside cabin is located it could be in a much better location that the ocean view. I had the same offer on our upcoming cruise but I chose the inside cabin I wanted and the location. Do your research and find out where each cabin is located, what is above it, beside it, and below it. Also figure out the size of each cabin. You can do this by going on the cruise line site and bring up the ship. Or you can call your TA or the Crusie line. Let us know what you decided and the location of each cabin. Goodluck

If you go through the online reservation system, the price of a cabin within a category (like inside or oceanview) goes up as the location goes up in the ship. So evidently people feel that cabins on higher decks are "better" and worth paying more money for.

It's a matter of personal preferences. For me, all other things being equal, such as, not above or below a public area that might be noisy, same relative location (toward the front of the ship, toward the rear, midship) -- I'd take the OV on deck 4 over the inside on deck 10 any day.

I prefer a midship cabin on a low deck - least amount of movement there.

Of course, once I finally spoil myself and spring for a balcony (or find a wonderful guy who will), my opinion may change considerably! :) And then again - my new preference at that point may become "lowest balcony deck, midship"!

We always go for lowest inside midship. Less movement as I get motion sicknees really bad! But we have been on several cruises and frankly don't want to spend that extra money for balcony. I am sure if I had one I would always want one. But...we only clean up and sleep in the cabin so I would rather spend the extra money on other things!

Most OV's and insides are the same size. Only difference is the window. On some ships, seeing out of the window is nearly impossible, because of the location of the bed--climbing required! Pick the most centrally located room. Personally, I'd rather have a balcony, but if an inside doesn't bother you, go for it!

I would take the inside on Deck 10 over the OV on deck 4 any day. I prefer to be closer to the pool area, which is where I spend most of my days. I can pop back down to my cabin via the stairs easily enough if needed.

Deck 4 is closer to debarkation and embarkation for port stops, so that is nice too if you are into the ports and want to pop on and off the ship easier, not a big deal if you dont come and go at prime times, then you can get elevators easily enough too.

Can't do less than a balcony!!

Ditto! :D

But to take an inside over an ocean view??!! Why??!! I'd rather be in a "bad" location of an ov than a great location inside. Never again! A balcony is so much of the cruise to me. So much to see from your balcony with privacy. Love them!

I vote for the inside, I would rather be in the cave and not have the light filter in through the window/balcony. DH and I do not spend a great deal of time in our room and the only time we had a balcony was nice (and cost us less than our original inside room) but did not impress me to the point of never wanting to book another inside.

On that note, we have also had an O/V, which was ok, but the location was not the greatest being on deck 2.

It all just depends on how you will be spending your time. Some really enjoy spending alone time in the room and others spend their time out roaming the ship. If you haven't been on a cruise before, just book the inside and base your future cruises on that experience.

One thing I never got. Obviously I can understand the price of a room going up in a hotel the higer you go. The view is better on the upper floors. And on a cruise ship, an ocean view will be pretty much the same on any floor as all you are really looking at while at sea is, well, the sea. But I can still understand any view room going up in price a little. But why an interior room? No matter what deck you are on, the view is the same...nothing. So why go up in price on the higher decks? What is the difference?

Just curious...

Is there any situation in which an inside cabin would be preferable to an ocean view cabin, if the price is the same?

I'm wondering because friends had the chance to upgrade their cabin (free) from inside on deck 10 to an ov on deck 4 and they were told to stay with the inside because their room was better. this confuses me because I thought any room with a window is better than any room on the inside.

Any ideas?

Dorie

It is possible that on their ship, Deck 4 is the promenade deck, with people constantly walking by your cabin. If you don't keep the curtains completely closed, you're on exhibit! ;) :eek:

One thing I never got. Obviously I can understand the price of a room going up in a hotel the higer you go. The view is better on the upper floors. And on a cruise ship, an ocean view will be pretty much the same on any floor as all you are really looking at while at sea is, well, the sea. But I can still understand any view room going up in price a little. But why an interior room? No matter what deck you are on, the view is the same...nothing. So why go up in price on the higher decks? What is the difference?

Did anyone ask about going higher?

Unless (as several other posters have said) the location of the oceanview is bad (not likely on deck 4 unless it's a promenade deck), I'd take the oceanview. Here's why:

1. I like being able to open the window when I wake up (usually just above my head when I'm lying in bed), and see what the day looks like.

2. I really like having the natural light; it helps with makeup, also.

3. As others have said, we like being on lower decks due to less swaying, and therefore, less seasickness.

4. The window of the OV actually provides a little "storage" area where we keep my husband's sleep apnea machine, alarm clock, etc. In an inside, we have to somehow pile everything up (we also carry little fans), on the little night stand.

My husband, however, would choose an inside everytime if I'd let him because he likes to take naps and likes the fact that in an inside cabin you can't see your hand in front of your face.

1. I like being able to open the window when I wake up (usually just above my head when I'm lying in bed), and see what the day looks like.

I'm curious, did you mean open the curtain? I have yet to be on a ship where you could open a window or a porthole.

To answer the OP. I would take the ocean view cabin every time. I also like being able to look out and see what the day looks like. You don't say which ship your friends are on but if it is a Voyager or Radiance class there are no ocean view cabins on the Promenade decks so you don't have to worry about someone walking by your window and looking in.

It would not bother me if the move ment going from deck 10 to a lower deck. I like the lower decks. When you return to the ship from a port of call you can bypass the lines of people waiting for elevators and just walk up the stairs a deck or two and you are home.

Archived