Difference Solo/Singles

psblin99

Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=311790 for an "oldie but goodie" thread on this forum. At the beginning, you will see some of the other member's views on your topic.

082502btw_prv.gif, I'm sure others may chime in here with their views too since the more the merrier!!!05.gif

042202_1319_92_prv.gif 'Tis the season to be jolly... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 110105_emYA10_prv.gif

i would think the diff is that one is single- not married- and the solo is poss. not married or married- for me- solo would be without my dh who could not go at that time- but as a married person- as in not out for male companionship but out to just go and have a great time-

As a single gent who travels solo, I qualify on both accounts. My thoughts are the following, a "single" is one who looking for romance, while a solo might be single but is happy in that regard.

I totally agree with this! Although I would have to change the first statement to single woman :)

I used to post on the Single Thread before there was a Solo Thread. I am a single mom who has cruised solo, with my kids and even with a BF one time. My favorite way to cruise is "Solo".... Doing what I want, when I want, with whom I want with no agenda and no expectations except to have a nice time and enjoy some R&R and lot of fun!

When I first saw this new "solo" option, I always thought, "what's the difference?". I guess I would put singles as younger cruisers who cruise alone looking to hook up with other young people, romantically. Solo cruisers are those who are cruising alone, married or single and probably a little more mature, but aren't really looking for romance. Sorry, but I don't see how you can cruise with kids, and call it solo. Solo means being by oneself, and not with family or friends.

When I first saw this new "solo" option, I always thought, "what's the difference?". I guess I would put singles as younger cruisers who cruise alone looking to hook up with other young people, romantically. Solo cruisers are those who are cruising alone, married or single and probably a little more mature, but aren't really looking for romance. Sorry, but I don't see how you can cruise with kids, and call it solo. Solo means being by oneself, and not with family or friends.

Just to clarify....I was stating that I have cruised 3 different ways....1 - alone 2 - single parent with kids and 3 - with a BF. I did not intend to imply that cruisng with my kids was the same as cruising solo.

BUT....Having done both....when I cruise with my kids much of my time IS spent solo. My kids were quite busy without me and at night I am definetly (except for dinner) roaming around alone. Cruising as the solo adult with kids is like a "combo cruise" - part family vacation and part solo adult time :) I came to these boards initially as a single parent taking my kids on our first cruise and I really wanted info on what it would be like to be the solo adult. I searched and posted on the Family Message Boards and got little input. Truthfully, the solo board gives some great info for the solo parent in conjuntion with info on the family threads.

Again....my favorite is hands down solo....totally alone with no one I know booked.

• 1 month later...
I always thought of a solo as someone traveling alone and not looking to meet someone and a single as someone who is "available," if not actively seeking romance. (I'm a solo traveler using that definition.)

Makes sense to me..I'm single but not looking for love. So I travel as a solo. If I announced myself as a single cruiser, that would imply that I'm seeking "Miss right" while on vacation, of which I'm not.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
So I guess I should change my title to be Solo Single cruiser as both apply :)

IMO you are a solo cruiser --you get on the ship alone. Your marital/social status is of no consequence. However, in a lot of cases, Solo cruisers are also single. Although a married person traveling without spouse would also be a solo cruiser. If they are looking for mischief, they would identify themselves as "single" cruisers when in fact, back home they are not "single".;)

I am like you . . . a single solo cruiser. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I travel solo because my wife gets terably sick from ships movement.My wife went on the first 5 cruises with me but just dont care for it. She knows I love to cruise so it my yearly escape from the family. but I have absoultly no intrest in romance im just getting away . Ive met lots of friendly people on ships.This is my STRESS RELIEF from busines . No worries. no phones . CARL

• 2 weeks later...

I am a single mom planning to take my son on a cruise this summer. I am not looking to hook up, but would welcome adult company -- male or female -- for some of the nightlife. Another single parent would be great, so I looked at both the "Singles Cruising" and "Solo Cruisers" board to see where I can post. Looked to me like the Singles board had more of a roll call feel, of posting actual ship/itinerary, whereas this board seemed more topic-oriented. I posted on the Singles board thinking that this would be the wrong board to post, and technically, I am not cruising solo. So can I post here to see if any single parent would be on my cruise?

I'm a single dad who has dragged his 11 year old around the world on as many cruises. He and I are SCUBAfolk and avid cruisers (I'm also a Divemaster, Lifeguard and Scout leader). How many cruises have you done with your kiddo and what cruises are you looking into? I'm BTDT for 20 years on cruises, but enjoy the challenge of catching particular ships or using ships as cheap SCUBA transportation. I don't cruise to hook up, just for the love of the sea and adventure. My kiddo is kin to D. Boone and T. Roosevelt, so adventure is his heritage. He's in scout camp and church camp part of this summer, but we haven't planned the rest yet. In any event, kiddo and I get around, mostly on Holland America, but he's also cruised Royal and Princess.

Even if I don't see you on a cruise you can always check with me on various kiddo friendly destinations. I'm over in Texas - where are all y'all in the LA area?

I am a single mom planning to take my son on a cruise this summer. I am not looking to hook up, but would welcome adult company -- male or female -- for some of the nightlife. Another single parent would be great, so I looked at both the "Singles Cruising" and "Solo Cruisers" board to see where I can post. Looked to me like the Singles board had more of a roll call feel, of posting actual ship/itinerary, whereas this board seemed more topic-oriented. I posted on the Singles board thinking that this would be the wrong board to post, and technically, I am not cruising solo. So can I post here to see if any single parent would be on my cruise?

i suppose it would apply more to your intentions or state of mind. I'm travelling on 8 APR with a party of 4, a friend and his wife and then another friend and I are sharing a room. I would consider myself single (no significant other) and possibly a "solo" cruiser since I can only take so much of my friends before I'm gonna dissappear for a while.... haha

I would be interested in hanging out with other "solos" or "singles".... not looking but not avoiding either.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

Even if I don't see you on a cruise you can always check with me on various kiddo friendly destinations. I'm over in Texas - where are all y'all in the LA area?

Hi there, how cool that you've taken your son on so many cruises and involved him in diving! I just booked my son and I on a 5-day Carnival Elation 8/11-8/16 out of San Diego. It's my 37th birthday week! I figured it's a good compromise between a weeklong cruise and those short weekend party boats. It goes to Cabo. I don't have high expectations of the Mexican Riviera but I think the time on the ship should be fun for both of us, together and separately while he's in Camp Carnival.

Hi,:) why don't you have high expectations of the Mexican Riveria?:eek:

I just returned from my 3rd time there and it was fabulous.:D

Happy Birthday and enjoy your cruise:)

• 1 month later...

Archived