Names outside your stateroom door?

negc

Okay...so your name is on the door.

A talented con artist 'happens' to be walking by, and makes a quick remark about what you're wearing, and where did you get it? You say oh geez, I don't remember...I think it was some little store back home.

Con Artist (CA) says "i really like your accent...where are you from?"

Because it's all so innocent & friendly, you tell him without thinking twice.

Next day (after a phone call to an accomplice) your house is broken into (after all...you're away for a week...aren't you?)

That's one reason not to post names. Those who have rarer names are more susceptible to this than Mr. Smiths, or Mr. Jones...but you get the picture.

And that is why we carry homeowners ins, no need for paranoia. If they want in they will get in. :rolleyes:

I would like to be the one half of that thiefs team that gets to meet everyone on all the cruises.

Then again, someone who finds my card might have an easier time locating my cabin. I realize that I can remove it, but it seems odd in this day and age when people are so concerned about security and privacy that Princess puts the burden on its guests to decide whether or not to have their names displayed. On any other cruiseline we have sailed on the staff seemed to have no difficulty in learning and remembering our names without having to refer to a name tag outside our door.:rolleyes:

Are you in the witness protection program or something? ;)

I know it's probably been drilled to death by now, but I'm going to pile on. You're worried about your privacy? Yes, I understand that not having your name on the door is one more hurdle, but let's forget about that for a moment. If you've done any of the following you could be at risk:

Went to college (recently a college lost personal data on 800,000 people)

Done business with anyone (how many times do you read that some auditing firm with a laptop full of information from some company has lost that laptop?)

I hope you didn't use a credit card to pay for your cruise...what if a hacker managed to get into Princess' databases and take your information?

Sure take the steps you need to, but realize that you are playing in a big sandbox. Usually the identity theives don't take one or two names, they want the big scores. It's much easier to sell 100,000 social security numbers than it is to sell one.

That's not to say I wave my wallet around, dollar bills draping out of my pockets. And yes I hope never to be faced by such a devious person. But, I can't imagine [and yes you can call me stupid] that a con man is going to spend money to get my information. Of course I'm lucky not to have much worth stealing in the first place :)

Have fun folks and remember just bring cash, no identity on that ;)

"Only those with somthing to hide, do not want people to know who they are"

Quote by Abraham Lincoln.

Anyway

Are you listed in the phone book, that also includes addresses. People who live in apartment buildings have thier names on the directory in the lobby.

Just a thought.

A talented con artist 'happens' to be walking by, and makes a quick remark about what you're wearing, and where did you get it? You say oh geez, I don't remember...I think it was some little store back home.

Next day (after a phone call to an accomplice) your house is broken into (after all...you're away for a week...aren't you?)

That's one reason not to post names. Those who have rarer names are more susceptible to this than Mr. Smiths, or Mr. Jones...but you get the picture.

That way of thinking you better not tell your post office to hold your mail while you are gone and don't mention where you are from to your table mates and by the way Princess knows where you are from so I'm sure one of their employees is telling some of their friends to go break into your home. Oh and did you tell your newspaper to hold the paper because you would be out of town? Don't forget the people that work for the airlines, they are probably selling information to thieves.:rolleyes:

I'm sure there are cheaper ways for con artists to find out if someone is on vacation than to take a cruise.

437 people view this thread and only 29 replied. See, no one cares.

Actually, all us lurkers are making note of who'll be cruising when, and then phoning up Tony Soprano. On a disposable cell phone, of course.

......good we got this covered.........when they ask my wife were her accent is from........she will say Alabama........but we live in California.

......and to all you con guys..........there are lots of JLCs in SD..........and I am home right now.......but in February I'm gone......:)

I love having my name on the door. It means that I can always find it !

If you need to have your name on the door in order to find it, you probably have a problem.:D

Interesting how an innocent question and comment can create such a controversy. I remember when cruise ships published a list of all of their passengers and their home towns. They don't do it anymore. Any thoughts as to why that is? We don't live in the innocent times of the past unfortunately and most companies have revised their operations to take these new concerns into consideration.

So the con artist hangs out on cruise ships (or wherever) and meets people in order to find out where they live. They then contact their partners in crime who happen to be in or near the same city you're from. Is that correct? They must have co-criminals all over the world. Isn't that a lot more trouble than simply going to a neighborhood where wealthy people live?

If you wanted to steal a plasma TV, would you just find a home with one, then break in and get it, or would you take a cruise, find some unsuspecting people, chat with them until you find someone with a plasma TV, then contact a friend and have them go to that person's house to steal it? Yeah, right! That makes no sense whatsoever.

I feel sorry for people who live with such paranoia. Yes, terrible things happen to people all the time. However, I would imagine it would be much worse to spend your entire life worrying about such things than to live a carefree life, become a victim, and then move on with your life.

Life is too short to live with such fear.

I am going in April. I don't want to tell you the name of the ship...you'll follow me. If Idon't have a name tag on my door, I'll know why. I like knowing that for 1 week, it's mine, all mine. And it is "all about me". I do worry more about people sneezing at the buffet than my nametag.:)

I remember when cruise ships published a list of all of their passengers and their home towns. They don't do it anymore. Any thoughts as to why that is? We don't live in the innocent times of the past unfortunately and most companies have revised their operations to take these new concerns into consideration.

Why else....cost cutting! The cost of paper, printing and time to put it together had something to do with its demise. I thought it was a great souvenir at the time. I still have my old ones in scrapbooks.

Oh, and I love having my name on the door. Those labels help my CC friends find me easier...and me to find them too.

Oh how I wish I could be so carefree and naive again so as to think so nonchalantly of these name tags. Perhaps solo female travelers will be wise enough to yank that name tag immediately upon entering their cabin. And maybe parents will do the same if they have young children in a separate cabin (I think they're listed as Master/Miss). Experience can be such a cruel and nasty eye-opener!

Seeing my name means I'm on a cruise! I seem to remember the name tags on every cruise that I went on. Are there cruiselines that don't do this? Maybe someone can post them and those who are creeped out can switch to them. I just can't get worried about this as there are easier ways to get info about me. (and even though I have an uncommon name, there are other people with the same exact name...ever google yourself?)

Oh how I wish I could be so carefree and naive again so as to think so nonchalantly of these name tags. Perhaps solo female travelers will be wise enough to yank that name tag immediately upon entering their cabin. And maybe parents will do the same if they have young children in a separate cabin (I think they're listed as Master/Miss). Experience can be such a cruel and nasty eye-opener!

I wonder how many cases of onboard sexual assault have ever been linked specifically to someone knowing where someone else's cabin is.

Ever.

Do I hear paranoia in the air :confused::confused:

Yup. You do......

I'm sure there are cheaper ways for con artists to find out if someone is on vacation than to take a cruise.

Bravo.... that sums it up for me. :D Why be paranoic. :confused:

Seeing my name means I'm on a cruise! I seem to remember the name tags on every cruise that I went on. Are there cruiselines that don't do this? Maybe someone can post them and those who are creeped out can switch to them. I just can't get worried about this as there are easier ways to get info about me. (and even though I have an uncommon name' date=' there are other people with the same exact name...ever google yourself?)[/quote']

NCL doesn't do this. It seems NCL passengers are able to remember their own room numbers. :rolleyes:

Myself I'm mildly paranoid about distinguishing information, since I have previously been a victim of identity theft...which, while it didn't cost me money, DID consume over 6 months of time to extricate myself.

This is the first time I'd heard of the idea of putting a name on a cabin door, but I'll remove mine the moment I arrive.

Archived