Names outside your stateroom door?

negc

I think posting your name, your home town, and your sailing date on a message board is even more of a giveaway than having your name on your cabin door.

I agree. That's one reason why I removed my hometown from my CC profile. When you're on a roll call talking about how you're going to be out of the country for 5 weeks and you're from a small town, it wouldn't take too much effort to figure out a few more details if one was so inclined.

I have no issue with the name tags outside the cabins (especially since I'll finally qualify for a BLACK one), but I really don't think it's at all upscale. Kind of like pre-school where the kids have their name tags stuck to their backs. Other cruise lines' stewards manage to address us by name without the name tags; I'm sure Princess's excellent stewards could too.

Give me a break! If that bothers you what about your luggage tags? They normally have your name addres and phone number on them alot more information that sits in the hall at the airport, What about this? Idenity theft needs more than you names. Worry about your trash, mailbox, phishing emails, dishonest clerks, waiters among others. Most crooks get the information they need by catching you off gaurd. It's great to be careful but a name card is goofy. If a cruise person wanted your personal information they more than likely allready have access to it. You need to be more concerned with businesses you deal with. What if someone breaks into you Vet's or Doctor's office what information of yours do they have. How about the check you write to girl scouts or day care did they loose it? What if someone breaks into or steals your car? What's in your card your registration, checkbook or purse or wallet.

You name on the cabin door isn't a problem unless your hiding from the law.

Do I hear paranoia in the air :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I like having my name on the cabin door just as I like having my name AND ADDRESS on my name tag when I go to a party. That way, after I've had a good time, they know where to deliver what's left of me. LOL

Mike S.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I believe that one of the reasons is so the cabin steward can call you by name. Our cabin steward came to our door on the first day, called us by name and recognized that we had been on Princess before. I noticed him looking at the name when I ran into him in the hall outside our door later in the week. Then he would say, Good Morning Mrs. .......

Our room stewards on just about every line we have sailed on have always known the names of the guests in their rooms without the aid of a nametag on the door, so I doubt that is the reason. The same goes for our wait staff in the dining room, and the bartenders and wait staff in their lounges pride themselves on knowing our names and drink preferences after serving us but once.(they of course have seen our seapass cards, but they recognize us and greet us by name even if we don't frequent their stations for several days.

I guess I have an ego. I like to see my name. I say to myself; yes, I am really on this fantastic cruise. Also, I do enjoy the snob factor of looking to see who are the elite member cabins. :D

Give me a break! If that bothers you what about your luggage tags? They normally have your name addres and phone number on them alot more information that sits in the hall at the airport' date=' What about this? Idenity theft needs more than you names. Worry about your trash, mailbox, phishing emails, dishonest clerks, waiters among others.....

You name on the cabin door isn't a problem unless your hiding from the law.[/quote']

That Darn Witness Relocation Program ain't as good as it used to :p

To address your first question, the large majority of my mail goes into a PO box (same place the luggage is addressed to). We rarely eat out, and use a debit card with a PIN most anywhere. Have an unlisted phone number and in general keep things private. It has worked fairly well the last 20+ years...

DUCK....the black helicopters are circling....this thread is hilarious. Like people don't have anything better to do that stalk you on a cruise. PULEEASE. Easy remedy - they're not in stone, if you don't like them being on display, remove them. Don't introduce yourself to anyone on the cruise, and for god sake, don't tell anyone where you're from.

I just leave the help at home to mind things when I am gone... That way I don't have to board the pets. the mail is taken in and the property is minded.

But I am sure that the worriers would consume themselves that the help would be helping themselves.

If someone wants to stalk me, please make sure he's rich and good looking!

I too was at first surprised when I saw our names outside our cabin, but it didn't bother me. I think it is a nice touch. When I figured out the color system of the cards, it was fun to just look at how many cruises each person had taken (or rather their status).

I agree, if it makes you feel uncomfortable, remove it.

Kay

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who checks out the tag color.

"The names posted on the door could be especially troubling, for say, a well-known executive who just happens to be vacationing with perhaps a younger female "secretary"... sounds like blackmail! "

I think if my hubby was taking a week's cruise without me...that would be very bad news for him. (of course, he doesn't even have a secretary, except when I help him out at home...but then I sleep with the pool guy and the gardener;) )

Having never cruised on Princess before, I'd never heard of name cards on the door. Like most posters here, I think it's a nice touch.

This has been very interesting reading...

I can understand some having concerns about the name cards--we all have our reasons. As has been stated before, tags can be removed easily if you don't feel comfortable about your names on the door. To each his own.

"The names posted on the door could be especially troubling' date=' for say, a well-known executive who just happens to be vacationing with perhaps a younger female "secretary"... sounds like blackmail! "[/quote']

United Air Lines some years back had a promotion where business men could take there wife along for free or a discount (donot remember but not important). They got lots of guys in trouble when they call the wife to see how she enjoyed her trip. :D :eek:

I think if my hubby was taking a week's cruise without me...that would be very bad news for him. (of course' date=' he doesn't even have a secretary, except when I help him out at home...but then I sleep with the pool guy and the gardener;) )[/quote']

Not that your hubby would, but if some guy is on a cruise with his secretary, I doubt he would be telling the wife he is on a cruise. He would probably make up some story like he was going duck hunting. :rolleyes: But then.... he has to remember to take his shotgun. ;)

Just 2 comments on what has turned out to be a lot of petty bickering.

1, RSSC Mariner had a listing of passengers and hometowns which turned out to be a fun time. A gentleman wrote me a note, and it ended up his sister is a good friend of mine.

2. As to luggage tags, it is recommended that when you are leaving to go on your cruise, put your cruise ship name and port on the luggage tags. Aside from no one being able to write down your address and "rob" you while you are away...if your luggage gets misplaced before you get to the ship, it will be delivered to the ship, not your home.

Otherwise, let each person do what they are comfortable with, and stop calling them paranoid or other derogatory names. They may have had experiences that make them more careful than others.

Just 2 comments on what has turned out to be a lot of petty bickering.

2. As to luggage tags, it is recommended that when you are leaving to go on your cruise, put your cruise ship name and port on the luggage tags. Aside from no one being able to write down your address and "rob" you while you are away...if your luggage gets misplaced before you get to the ship, it will be delivered to the ship, not your home.

Otherwise, let each person do what they are comfortable with, and stop calling them paranoid or other derogatory names. They may have had experiences that make them more careful than others.

Good idea! If a sailing date & cabin number are on the luggage then at least the cruiseline will be able to return things to you, if it's after the trip!

And as for your secondary comments.... WELL SAID!!!!!!!

I printed my screen name on my wall tag. It helped other CC'ers find me!

But as a curious question to the OP, does your mail box at your residence have your name on it?

Mine does, and it seems the ship's mail comes in that tray right above your name.:cool:

Oh come on now..what teh heck do you have to hide that you are that concerned about having your name on a door?...if you are not doing anything wrong what do you have to fear I ask?...bill colelctors at sea?:rolleyes:

Tony

I am confused- nothing in my post suggested I had anything to hide. Where did this come from? I was simply commenting on the blackmail possibilities, as well as the fact that it does make me just a wee bit nervous because of my previous problems with criminals who not only want to be me, but apparently some who want my personal items as well. How this has to do with "hiding" anything... I am not sure.

United Air Lines some years back had a promotion where business men could take there wife along for free or a discount (donot remember but not important). They got lots of guys in trouble when they call the wife to see how she enjoyed her trip. :D :eek:

Not that your hubby would, but if some guy is on a cruise with his secretary, I doubt he would be telling the wife he is on a cruise. He would probably make up some story like he was going duck hunting. :rolleyes: But then.... he has to remember to take his shotgun. ;)

Now you are really dating yourself. :eek:

If you need to have your name on the door in order to find it, you probably have a problem.:D

Interesting how an innocent question and comment can create such a controversy. I remember when cruise ships published a list of all of their passengers and their home towns. They don't do it anymore. Any thoughts as to why that is? We don't live in the innocent times of the past unfortunately and most companies have revised their operations to take these new concerns into consideration.

I don't really think that we are in any more danger today than 30/40 years ago but if you believe the media it's true, and it's this paranoia that the legal system preys upon, hence the explosion in the compensation culture and the similar growth in lawyers advising firms to tighten up on their privacy policy.

Easy to solve though, lawyers should pay 105% income tax!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Archived