Names outside your stateroom door?

negc

When we sailed on the Sapphire Princess last Spring, my wife and I were surprised to find our names posted on stickers outside of our stateroom. Given the serious concerns about personal privacy and security, this practice seems to be contrary to what you might expect nowadays. Does anyone know Princess' rationale for doing this?:confused:

When we sailed on the Sapphire Princess last Spring, my wife and I were surprised to find our names posted on stickers outside of our stateroom. Given the serious concerns about personal privacy and security, this practice seems to be contrary to what you might expect nowadays. Does anyone know Princess' rationale for doing this?:confused:

I always thought it was a classy touch.If someone didn't like it they could easily remove it.Now that Princess no longer puts the cabin numbers on the cruise cards,people would really have a hard time finding their cabins.

I would imagine that the name cards are supposed to give more of a personal touch to the experience, as opposed to staying at a hotel. Also helps the staff address you by name when coming to your cabin.

You can easily remove it or request that you cabin steward do so.

I always thought it was a classy touch.If someone didn't like it they could easily remove it.Now that Princess no longer puts the cabin numbers on the cruise cards,people would really have a hard time finding their cabins.

Then again, someone who finds my card might have an easier time locating my cabin. I realize that I can remove it, but it seems odd in this day and age when people are so concerned about security and privacy that Princess puts the burden on its guests to decide whether or not to have their names displayed. On any other cruiseline we have sailed on the staff seemed to have no difficulty in learning and remembering our names without having to refer to a name tag outside our door.:rolleyes:

negc....a "burden" ....hardly .

You are right, it isn't that much of a "burden", but then again a paper label with my name on it isn't exactly "classy" either. A little overkill in the choice of words, perhaps. I wonder how young women travelers feel about having their names listed on their door and how frequently they feel it desirable to remove the labels to preserve their privacy.

I totally agree with the OP, names should not be on any doors. A few years back I had very serious issues about putting the names on the door and room numbers on the keycard. It's nice to see that the room numbers are no longer on the key cards, but would be nicer if they stopped posting passenger names. Doesn't matter that I can pull out the name tag and scratch off the room number from the key card -- shouldn't be there in the first place. All it takes is for one psycho to be on board and take a walk to check out possible targets! Time have changed, need to face it.

I totally agree with OP. That was the first thing I commented on when we arrived at our cabin. It would take 5 minutes on "People Finder" to narrow down an address.

I can't even put my real name on this board, that's how paranoid I am!

Mexico

People sure get hyped up on this security thing. Put my name on the door and a "bigelow" on the floor. Guess I am not concerned about it because who would be looking for me on a ship. ?? :confused:

Someone going to steal my identity because my name is on the door. Never worried about someone signing my name and using my cabin number. It has never happened that I know of and the signature is easy enough to disprove. Besides the need a card with the name on it.

If you are hyped about it... take it off. :)

Wow, I can't believe some of these answers. I see nothing wrong with names on doors. WhaI can't see what you would be frightened of Remove it if it bothers you.

On a cruise last year I asked a lady at the elevator how she liked her mini suite. She was flabergasted that I knew the area where her cabin was located.

if you are really worried about your name being on a label outside your door, then you had better remove all ID tags from your luggage when you place it in the hall the night before you leave the ship.....or sit with other people and introduce yourselves....or attend a CC party.:eek:

Wow, I can't believe some of these answers. I see nothing wrong with names on doors. WhaI can't see what you would be frightened of Remove it if it bothers you.

On a cruise last year I asked a lady at the elevator how she liked her mini suite. She was flabergasted that I knew the area where her cabin was located.

Perhaps her reaction should answer your question. She may have been taken aback that someone was paying that much attention to her and wondered if she was being stalked. Some people value their privacy and in this day and age the trend (rightly or wrongly) is to restrict information to those with a need to know.

I never post to roll call threads and don't do much more than polite conversation with strangers onboard. Neither of our names are very uncommon so they don't give much away. As a result, I don't worry about the name tags. But, I'm sort of private, and I might feel differently if my name was unusual or if I'd had an uncomfortable experience somewhere along the way.

If someone has a reason to be bothered by it, no problem -- remove it.

Is it just me or do some people seem like they're afraid they're going to find themselves on the cover of the National Enquirer (being pestered by photographers while on vacation)?

I had no idea there were so many paranoid people out there. Someone with a good memory for faces sees the same people coming and going from nearby cabins for a week or more and makes a friendly comment in the elevator. Suddenly, that person is a stalker?

Why, exactly, does a stalker need to know your name? Isn't it much more likely they'd follow someone from an empty part of the ship back to their cabin than find a cabin with a nice name on it and wait for that person to return?

Since when is someone knowing your name an invasion of privacy? Believe it or not, some people still have their names on their mailboxes, or on a nice plaque on their home.:eek:

I think some people flatter themselves to think anyone would be interested in stalking them. :rolleyes:

Make sure the cabin steward does not say good morning to you in the hallway and call you by name. You never know who is listening...

And make sure that you sign all bills with a simple X . Any employee could see your real name when you sign and print it ..

There is danger in every corner on a cruise ship...

I always thought the names on the door were an extra special touch that Princess does.

I am not paranoid of stalkers or people who might steal my ID. Those ID thieves tend to be sophisticated enough to not need to book a cruise.

I am also not afraid to indulge in friendly conversation with fellow cruisers where we exchange names. People are getting to paranoid.

Jeanne

Make sure the cabin steward does not say good morning to you in the hallway and call you by name. You never know who is listening...

And make sure that you sign all bills with a simple X . Any employee could see your real name when you sign and print it ..

There is danger in every corner on a cruise ship...

Oh my gosh, have you been reading the responses on Greta's website? So many people are sure they will be drugged, raped or thrown overboard if they ever cruise. Of course, most are sure they will get the Norovirus, so have never cruised. :eek:

Life is too short not to have fun and "take risks" :rolleyes:

Okay...so your name is on the door.

A talented con artist 'happens' to be walking by, and makes a quick remark about what you're wearing, and where did you get it? You say oh geez, I don't remember...I think it was some little store back home.

Con Artist (CA) says "i really like your accent...where are you from?"

Because it's all so innocent & friendly, you tell him without thinking twice.

Next day (after a phone call to an accomplice) your house is broken into (after all...you're away for a week...aren't you?)

That's one reason not to post names. Those who have rarer names are more susceptible to this than Mr. Smiths, or Mr. Jones...but you get the picture.

Archived