Hidden senior discounts?

jaxon41

Have you noticed that on some travel agent sites, or some sites which sell cruises, like SouthWest Airlines, there will be a question asking if there is anyone over 55 in the cabin? When I go to the cruise lines web site to book, I don't get asked this. Recently for the heck of it, I checked Southwest's site for cruising, plugged in the info to check prices against those I was getting from a TA (this is a family cruise of 10 cabins). Sure enough, there were some very nice discounts for seniors, inside cabins were particulalry discounted, but skysuites were also. I went to X's site and found none of this. The TA checked and did honor what I was finding at Southwest. One could argue that the TA should have found these discounts and notified us, but that doesn't always happen and you have to watch out for yourself. I think it is rather mean to offer senior discounts, but not have them on the ship's home page. For those who book through the cruise line and then forget about it, I think you could be missing out on some savings.

Since Celebrity and RCCL are not supposed to allow TA's to undercut their prices, although TA's may offer perq's like cabin credit, it is especially onerous not to list senior discounts. One might think since there is relatively no shopping with those lines, why check further on pricing. For one senior couple in our party the saving was $130, and I think that is substantial.

We had booked a Transatlantic on the Voyager. One day a friend called me, she knew, that DH became 55 this year and said, check the RCCL website, they offer 55+ discounts. I checked it, we changed our booking to a higher category and had to pay $290 less. The TA told us, that they are not informed, when and on which cruises RCCL offers these discounts. Sometimes its only available for a few days and only 3-4 categories. But it´s worth to watch out for these discounts here and than and you can pay less money than you thought.

Not all cruiselines offer the senior discount so maybe that is why it does not show on the online sites.

one that do are:

RCCL

Celebrity

Carnival

NCL

Some offer discounts to active and retired Military

Active police, Fire Fighters and teachers

Always good to ask your TA about any discounts for your particular cruiseline

Not all cruiselines offer the senior discount so maybe that is why it does not show on the online sites.

one that do are:

RCCL

Celebrity

Carnival

NCL

Some offer discounts to active and retired Military

Active police, Fire Fighters and teachers

Always good to ask your TA about any discounts for your particular cruiseline

Darned if I can find anything about senior discounts on Celebrity's site and you are not asked if any are seniors when you plug in your info to book. But it is Celebrity -- at least the cruise we are taking in March -- which shows up as having senior discounted cabins on sites like Expedia. I have booked directly with the line, and I have used TA's -- on-line TA's. The one I am using currently is NOT careful about catching discounts, but a previous one was. At least when one uses sites like Travelocity or Expedia, they ask about the age and so you can be somewhat confident you are seeing senior discounts when you book.

If I am just not seeing an area for senior discounts on Celebrity's site, will someone point out where I should look.

Darned if I can find anything about senior discounts on Celebrity's site and you are not asked if any are seniors when you plug in your info to book.

Under the FAQ section it states

"Are there any special prices for seniors?

Subject: Pricing/Availability

There are special senior prices on selected sailings for guests who are ages 55 and over."

Have you noticed that on some travel agent sites, or some sites which sell cruises, like SouthWest Airlines, there will be a question asking if there is anyone over 55 in the cabin? When I go to the cruise lines web site to book, I don't get asked this. Recently for the heck of it, I checked Southwest's site for cruising, plugged in the info to check prices against those I was getting from a TA (this is a family cruise of 10 cabins). Sure enough, there were some very nice discounts for seniors, inside cabins were particulalry discounted, but skysuites were also. I went to X's site and found none of this. The TA checked and did honor what I was finding at Southwest. One could argue that the TA should have found these discounts and notified us, but that doesn't always happen and you have to watch out for yourself. I think it is rather mean to offer senior discounts, but not have them on the ship's home page. For those who book through the cruise line and then forget about it, I think you could be missing out on some savings.

Since Celebrity and RCCL are not supposed to allow TA's to undercut their prices, although TA's may offer perq's like cabin credit, it is especially onerous not to list senior discounts. One might think since there is relatively no shopping with those lines, why check further on pricing. For one senior couple in our party the saving was $130, and I think that is substantial.

On RCI, there is a box you can check for 55+ and a box with pull down menu asking for residency info. If you end up at a cruise that qualifies, you will see a different price for senior or resident below the standard price. RCI owns Celebrity, so I wonder if that info is not processed the same way on the Celebrity site? RCI now has an upgraded site trying to be more user friendly. Maybe there are trying to address it.

I use ***** and 7blueseas sites as a first point of research because they will list deals by categories. Then I go from there if something looks interesting.

We almost exclusively stay at Choice Hotels lodging, since discovering they have a hidden discount. While their website shows a 50+ discount (=AARP or 10%), they don't show that they also have a 60+ discount, which is usually another 10%. You can either book it online at the reg Senior rate, then call to have it changed to the lower rate, or just call in the first place. They seem to limit the number of rooms at that rate, so on Rare occasion it isn't available.

Happy sailing!

On RCI, there is a box you can check for 55+ and a box with pull down menu asking for residency info. If you end up at a cruise that qualifies, you will see a different price for senior or resident below the standard price. RCI owns Celebrity, so I wonder if that info is not processed the same way on the Celebrity site? RCI now has an upgraded site trying to be more user friendly. Maybe there are trying to address it.

I use ***** and 7blueseas sites as a first point of research because they will list deals by categories. Then I go from there if something looks interesting.

Yes, you are right. I can find on RCL where they ask the senior question, but on X, even if they include the info on a FAQ, they do not have anywhere to input the info to see the senior discounted prices. We learn as we go along, but I can't help wondering if I qualified for a discount on past cruises when I used Celebrity's on line booking. If their booking doesn't ask the question, how will you ever know if a discount exists on a particular cruise, unless you check elswhere. The only way I knew a senior discount existed on our upcoming X cruise, was by checking out Expedia/Travelocity -- not X's site. Never tired 7blueseas, thanks for the tip.

We almost exclusively stay at Choice Hotels lodging, since discovering they have a hidden discount. While their website shows a 50+ discount (=AARP or 10%), they don't show that they also have a 60+ discount, which is usually another 10%. You can either book it online at the reg Senior rate, then call to have it changed to the lower rate, or just call in the first place. They seem to limit the number of rooms at that rate, so on Rare occasion it isn't available.

Happy sailing!

Thanks so much for that info

Yes, you are right. I can find on RCL where they ask the senior question, but on X, even if they include the info on a FAQ, they do not have anywhere to input the info to see the senior discounted prices. We learn as we go along, but I can't help wondering if I qualified for a discount on past cruises when I used Celebrity's on line booking. If their booking doesn't ask the question, how will you ever know if a discount exists on a particular cruise, unless you check elswhere. The only way I knew a senior discount existed on our upcoming X cruise, was by checking out Expedia/Travelocity -- not X's site. Never tired 7blueseas, thanks for the tip.

I don't cruise X, but 2 other ideas that might work. 1) call direct to CSR and ask before booking for any discounts. 2) Start to book, and see what comes up. I do that on RCI and the discount is right there if there is one. Even after I have booked, I check my cruises for new discounts. If I find one, then I call. Also, on RCI sometimes cabins are not listed online, but CSR has them. Is X the same?

Kind of like "rebates" on certain products you buy? The company makes you go through much before you actually get your rebate.

When we booked our upcoming cruise to celebrate my 55th birthday I asked if there were any 55+ discounts. I was told "not at this time, but if one up and you see it you can get it." Several week slater I did see a 55+ discount for our cruise on *****.com so I called Celebrity's Captain's Club and asked for it. I was told that they offer those discounts for limited times and on only some cruises and that Celebrity's agents are not given a list. Instead they will call up your reservation and plug the 55+ code in to see if it changes the price. They did and it did--$300 savings! A few weeks later I saw the price lowered again. That time I called and got another $300 off plus an additional cabin upgrade free.

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to take my daughter and elderly mother on a Princess cruise in April and I see that many other cruise lines offer the senior discount. My daughter & I will qualify for the past customer discount but I don't see where my mother will receive any type of discount. What's worse, it that Princess only offers a sofa bed in a balcony stateroom or higher, which is significantly higher than the oceanview category.

I was told there are some rooms in the OV category that will accommodate a 3rd person but it is a pull down bed (on the wall). I can't see either of us sleeping on one of those. Any thoughts on getting a lower rate? Should we wait until the sail date gets closer? I don't want to risk not being able to get a cabin at all in our category but I don't want to pay $3500 for a balcony/minisuite either. Please share your thoughts with me. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know Princess never offers any kind of senior discount, per a Princess rep I talked to.

I just booked on RCI today. They DO offer senior discounts. I have been seeing rates out of New Orleans starting at $349, but today they showed up for out of Galveston too :) (so I promptly booked and locked in my price).

RCI site shows $50 for inside and outside discount for seniors on some cruises, they vary, not all. Anyone else able to go out of Texas? April 8 and April 22 both show as $359 for inside up to $899 for a balcony. I think thats a good price for a balcony cabin myself.

After much research, it is all a game and very difficult to stay on top of it. First of all, when going to an online site and checking over 55 then getting a rate, many times going in as just a regular passenger and most times rates are the same. On our most recent booking, past passenger beat out military rate or anything else. Hone in on a specific ship and date and try several sites to get your price. Also call the cruise line and get quotes for cabins you are considering.

Yes, I should have been checking RCI website, instead of was checking the web site of the online major TA that I have been using and checking all rates in April and May for a price I liked. I admit to only checking for a little more than a week and not checking with the cruise sites themselves or I would have booked the April 22nd date instead, further out so we would have something to look forward to longer.

The online TA I use only showed april 8th as being that price and was much higher than RCI for the April 22nd date. le grrrr!!! You still have to click thru and click on senior discount to get there. I only hit the senior discount in the last year, so its new to be to even qualify. Im barely a senior and sure don't feel like a senior...yet.

Im kinda aggravated at myself for not checking the RCI site for the rates on this cruise before I booked with the online discounter. btw, they say that TA's cannot discount RCI prices, but the online site is still $10 lower than RCI site, not that $10 is a biggie, but its not exactly the same. Anyway, Im booked and we are too close to sailing to cancel and rebook the April 22nd date.

Checking all the sites can drive you crazy huh?

The senior discounts on selected ships can be offered for a day or a month - depends on how well the ship is selling. Also, there is a residency discount offered sometimes on selected cruises (RCL and Carnival-I know for sure). It can drive you crazy checking all the time! But it is worth it!

Archived