St. Thomas - How's the walk? - Crown Bay to Charlotte Amalie

Ontario Traveller

St. Thomas' Charlotte Amalie harbor area is about the prettiest one we've seen. We will miss not seeing it from the ship as we are now docking at Crown Bay (the old submarine base area), west of the main harbor. We are walkers and we were wondering if there was a safe walkway or sidewalk from Crown Harbor into town, and if it appeared safe to walk. We had no issues from Havensight into town, but Crown Bay is somewhat off to the west in an area we are not too familiar with.

Lots of traffic and congested areas. We started out walking but gave up and grabbed a cab to Havensight for some shopping.

A real shame Princess (Carnival) contracted this dock instead of CA, just another cost cutting measure I guess... :(

Lots of traffic and congested areas. We started out walking but gave up and grabbed a cab to Havensight for some shopping.

A real shame Princess (Carnival) contracted this dock instead of CA, just another cost cutting measure I guess... :(

I agree it's unfortunate that Princess will no longer dock at Havensight, there was no other view in the Caribbean to match the sight of Charlotte Amalie across the bay. But it was my understanding this move by Princess guarantees that their ships will always dock in St.Thomas, no more tendering. :)

My wife and I were just in St Thomas on 12-6 on the CB and we walked back from town to crown bay. Sidewalks all the way back not a real nice area mostly industrial and old run down homes but we did it. It is a long walk it took us almost an hour to walk back. There is a gas station about half way back that we stopped in for a water.

I did that walk back from downtown in about 1/2 hour waking time but I am a very fast walker. There is a supermarket about 3/4 the way back to Crown Bay where I got Coke ( soda pop that is ) and high proof Cruzen rum ( on sale 3-750ml for $10 ). Not a pretty walk but doable if you are in fairly good condition.

We only walked as far as the grocery store when we were there last year on a Holland America ship. The sidewalks aren't the best, and be sure to look for traffic driving on the left instead of the right. Crossing the street can be particularly tricky since apparently "STOP" only means "slow down" to drivers there. The worst part, though, was all the taxi drivers trying to get us to take their cabs.

We were in St. Thomas earlier this month. We walked into Charlotte Amalie and back to port. It took us about 30-40 minutes each way. If you are a walker and don't mind the humidity, it's not a bad way to get into town. During the daytime, it is not dangerous. The supermarket not far ffom dock has very reasonable prices on alcohol.:)

St. Thomas' Charlotte Amalie harbor area is about the prettiest one we've seen. We will miss not seeing it from the ship as we are now docking at Crown Bay (the old submarine base area), west of the main harbor. We are walkers and we were wondering if there was a safe walkway or sidewalk from Crown Harbor into town, and if it appeared safe to walk. We had no issues from Havensight into town, but Crown Bay is somewhat off to the west in an area we are not too familiar with.

We measured it with a gps when we walked. 1.7 miles

from the Crown Bay Pier to the waterfront 'downtown'.

A little further than Havensite to downtown, and the route is through

a more commercial/light industrial area. Car repair businesses,

etc. Although broken in places, there was a sidewalk the

whole way.

There is a Pueblo market along the route, not far from the ship.

And, there is also a small grocery store in the Crown Bay marina,

which you can see from the ship.

We walked into town. On the way back, we paused at the

bus stop at the waterfront. And for the first time ever

(in 20+ visits to St. Thomas) a VI-Trans bus came by.

We took it, and got dropped off at the Pueblo market.

(Which was the closest point on the bus route to the

ship)

Archived