Warning about Princess Cruises

verydisappointed

Read our story and then decide if you really want to gamble on a Princess Cruise:

Our parents have long dreamed of an Alaskan cruise vacation including themselves, their 3 children and spouses, and their grandchildren. Finally this was going to be the year celebrating the occasion of my parents' 50th wedding anniversary! We've been planning for about a year to sail to Alaska on Princess' Dawn Princess on with an Aug. 2 sailing date. (It was a minor miracle to have everyone available for the same week!) We were all very excited since we rarely manage to all be together because of a large geographical spread.

Unfortunately our father had emergency coronary bypass surgery July 7 rendering him medically unable to "make" the Aug. 2 cruise date. Obviously we couldn't very well celebrate our parents' anniversary on the cruise without them being there. While my mother, sister, and I were at my father's bedside in the hospital, my brother and BIL were working with our travel agent and a Princess representative requesting a credit to take the same cruise next year. My brother was advised by the Princess rep. that situations as of these would be considered on a case by case basis. We were instructed to fax a letter from Dad's surgeon stating why he could not make the cruise date which we did almost immediately. Princess didn't like the wording of the first letter so we went back to the surgeon's office for yet another letter practically dictated by the Princess rep.

Despite our efforts, Princess flatly refused our request, saying their policy was to only reschedule in the event of a death. (I'm hard pressed to imagine how you can cruise when you're dead.)

We've already written a letter to Princess' President and CFO but have recieved no response (nor do we expect to).

At this point, I could care less about a cruise but I'm very angry at the runaround we got from Princess and their piling further disappointment onto my parents at such a difficult time.

Talking to many people since this has happened, we've learned that other cruise lines are much more accomodating than Princess in cases such as these.

I post this here not only to vent my frustrations but also to warn any other potential Princess cruiser of the gamble they make when booking on Princess.

I am not a purchaser of cruise insurance but clearly your family should have been in retrospect. There is a reason cruise lines don't refund fares, they have expenses too and may well not be able to resell your cabin(s).

I am sorry for your situation but you are warning people about a situation that most of us know about and frankly isn't Princess' fault or responsibilty. You have a valid reason for not going unquestionably but did at some point have the opportunity to purchase insurance and that is what it is for.

I'm sorry for your disappointment but the refund policy is very clear. It's also a good reason to take out the insurance. If you had insurance, there wouldn't have been any question about a refund at this difficult time.

I am sorry, but when you are traveling with elderly people or people who have health issues YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BUY CRUISE INSURANCE. Call it a lack of experience/research/etc, but you should have bought it.

And as far as other lines being "more understanding"...not really.

I am sorry for what you are going through, as I am in the same situation myself (my mother is very ill). I have 2 upcoming cruises that I didn't purchase insurance for as I normally don't (I am young and am willing to take the risk). I am fully aware that I may miss one or both of my cruises if my mom's status were to change. I would have purchased the insurance at the time of booking if she had already been diagnosed. But thems the chances we take.

Sorry for your misfortune, but this is your first post here, and the other post to Family Cruising. If you had come here prior to your cruise, you would have been more informed. If you had cruise insurance, you would not have had a problem. Also I doubt you will discourage any new cruiser here, because we constantly talk of the need for insurance. Then if they decide not to take it, they are informed of all possibilities. Best wishes for your family!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Father's illness and your cancelled cruise. I would definitely not want to gamble on *any* prepaid vacation, so your post serves as an important reminder to protect that investment.

Best wishes to your Father for a speedy recovery.

I wouldn't give up hope on receiving a reply to your letter, BTW....

I hope your father is doing well now, surely that's the most important aspect of the whole story.

If I read that right you were asking Princess to be merciful and create a credit that you could apply to a later cruise but you did not have travel insurance.

(I'll assume you are nodding "yes" right now)

They were clearly under no obligation to do so but you believe that under the circumstances, an unexpected serious emergency medical procedure backed up by a letter from your doctor, that they should see your side of the story and in some cases like this did indeed do what you were asking them to do for you.

Travel Insurance cheerleaders could use this as a textbook case for why you should buy it. Opponents would have to agree.

Hopefully you can plan another celebration in the future and be ultra happy that your father is around to attend it.

I'd focus on that because your misplaced anger at Princess sure seems inappropriate to me.

To my very first clients a few years ago. A young couple going on their honeymoon. He balked, she agreed and they bought it. They were in their early 20's and friends of mine. Who would have thought that both would be tragically killed in a car accident exactly 1 month prior to their wedding date. I remember his father Thanking me and Thanking me again at their funeral for talking them into the insurance. We purchase insurance "JUST IN CASE" It is one of those Hindsight things. It is unfortunate that you are learning this valuable lesson. Its very costly.

Hubby knows of someone that was in this exact situation a few weeks ago. Don't know which cruiseline but the response was the same. They all lost their $$. When you are traveling with anyone whose health may be in question it is always good to pruchase travel insurance. A small fee would have saved you so much more.

My husband also knew of a gent that had not purchased travel insurance for a trip to China 2 years ago. Well, as we all know the SARS epidemic hit and he was faced with loosing the $$ he spent - a few thousand dollars- and he was not in good physical shape. He risked his health and thankfully came home fine.

But please don't hold this against Princess, all areas of travel state their cancellation policies and you have the option to purchase insurance before you travel.

Best wishes to your Father and family.

Guest Anorak33

I would not travel -especially on a cruise - without insurance. Quite apart from cancellation there are huge medical and/or evacuation expenses to consider if I became ill on board.

But one important factor is to always disclose to the insurance company if you or a family member has a pre-existing condition which might worsen and cause you to have to claim because you needed treatment or had to cancel or return home early from your trip.

Otherwise the insurer will be totally within their rights to refuse to pay any claim you may make.

An incresed premium may well be levied but at least you will know you have effective cover.

I too, am so sorry to hear of your father's health, and hope he is on the road to recovery now.

Unfortunately, I'm with the others and think Princess is not at fault, nor any cruiseline would be. A contract is just that, for a reason. The insurance would've been worth the money. I definitely understand being upset, but it's misdirected.

Anyway, just maybe, if you aren't asking for a refund, maybe you'll have a chance at a credit for a future cruise. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

I buy travel insurance for each and every cruise in case of a situation like this. Why should someone who doesn't buy it - be covered? This is why one buys insurance - so that you are covered. The cancellation policies are clear and in the brochure.

I am sorry for your father's health - I have had to cancel a trip due to a parent's heart surgery. Thankfully, I had insurance and was issued a check for my entire trip in 10 days after I submitted the claim. If you had purchased insurance, this would not be an issue.

I know several situations very similar to yours with people involving other cruise lines who lost their cruise vacations due to not buying insurance. This is not a situation where Princess acts differently then the other cruise lines. A couple of years ago, some lines were more foregiving but it doesn't appear to be the case lately.

I hope your father recovers quickly.

I believe your anger is directed at the wrong place. You should be angry at your Travel Agent who didn't advise you what travel insurance covers and - or angry at those in your group who decided against travel insurance. You shouldn't be angry at Princess since they state in their brochures, online and in cruise documents what happens if you cancel a cruise after final payment. My cousin had a situation similiar with Celebrity cruises and they lost all their money from their vacation. Celebrity didn't budge either. My cousin now buys insurance.

One of my pet peeves -- those who choose not to buy insurance but expect to be covered if they can not take the cruise for reasons in which the cruise insurance would have covered.

I am so to hear about the misfortunes suffered by your family.

For this very reason, and I'm not being cold, but this is what a good TA is for, and this is why you purchase travel insurance. When I saw the title of the post, I thought, "my goodness, what is so wrong to be posting a warning!!!" We love Princess, our preferred line for many years. They have always treated us well. But I am one of those people who do NOT gamble - we purchase insurance.:o

The important thing to focus on is the health of your dad. Of course, you all wanted to be with him.

We booked a trip next week for Europe and though it really added up for all of us (six people and one over age 70), we did take out cruise insurance.

Now why would anyone actually be stupid enough to BUY insurance if the cruiseline would take care of emergencies, even on a case by case basis ?

Why would you be angry at the cruiseline ? They have empty cabins that they are unlikely to book a month out (esp to Alaska where air is difficult).Given that thousands of people that cruise every week, sadly your story is not that unusual.

While the travel insurance horse has officially been beat to death, I'd like to add:

• This was your first post on your first day of official membership. Don't be put off by these responses because I, for one, would really like to know the final outcome of the situation.
  • Probably the best you can hope for is a partial credit on a future cruise. 25% would be my guess.
  • I sincerely hope your father recovers swiftly and fully.

Sorry to hear of your father's illness, BUT...............your comments will not talk anyone into not sailing Princess at all. IT WILL convince passengers to take out the insurance though.

I have never understood how large groups of people would even think of going on a cruise without purchasing the insurance. Especially if someone elderly is traveling as that increases the risk of something happening to them.

Princess is not liable to refund anything but the discounted amount after final payment is made. It is right there in the brochures and cruise documents. NO MATTER what the problems that arise, without insurance, you haven't got a leg to stand on, sorry. But if writing letters makes you feel better, please keep writing them, at least it will make you feel better, even though it will not do any good. You have/had a cruise contract...................they upheld their end of the contract.

Hope your father is feeling better real soon.

I always used to think insurance was a waste of money - until friends of ours were going on a cruise and a horrific snowstorm shut down all the airports in our area for 2 days. They could not make the cruise and therefore lost their money as they had no insurance. I now make sure I have it as you just don't know. If Princess was to give you compensation when you have no insurance.... than they would have to do it with everyone in the same situation. In order not to lose all your money you will have to all go on Aug. 2 without your parents. I'm sure your father will be recovered enough that you will be able to leave. It is better to do that than lose all the money. The fault does not lie with Princess - someone made a decision not to buy insurance.

I just re-read your original post and you say, "if you really want to gamble on a Princess Cruise"

When you book, you have the option of buying the insurance. If you don't buy the insurance, you're gambling that nothing will go wrong and that you can afford to lose whatever money you've paid. Some people think the gamble is worth it, others don't. This was your gamble and it's not Princess' (or any other cruiseline's) fault that you didn't have the insurance.

Sorry to hear about your father's illness. The same thing happened to us a few years back with my father-in-law & we had not purchased the insurance. It was with Holland American cruise line. Our cruise was only 4 days away when he ended up in ICU. HA would not do anything for us so we lost the cruise plus our money. NEVER, EVER AGAIN will I not buy the insurance. They have policies & you can't fight it. Hope all goes well with you father & Happy 50th. to them. Your so lucky to have them with you.

I'm guessing after reading everyone's posts the idea of insurance should be a consideration for everyone especially the elderly.

I feel bad that this has happened to you however if it were my family the health of my father would be paramount in this story. You can take a cruise anytime but you only have one set of parents.

Good luck and I hope everything works out in the long run.

Dan

PS - Hi Nita.

Archived