Booking another cruise whilst onboard

I have a cruise booked to the Med next May on the Navigator and would also like to book for October 07 to the Canary Islands.

Would I get a better/cheaper deal booking up whilst onboard in May or by waiting until nearer the time and book through a T.A. at home?

You get an onboard credit for booking onboard. Not any special deal as far as price goes.

Yes, like the last post said you receive an on board credit, which is great, but you also get cabins that are primo that are not always on thier website. I say if you know yoiu want another cruise, book while on board.....we did and we booked the Royal Family Suite and received the on board credit back in March 06 for our cruise in 25 DAYS>>> :D :D :D

We usually book while onboard because of getting the onboard credit. The one downside is if you are booking a long time in advance, RCI has your deposit money for all that time.

We have booked a cruise onboard, then decided to change the cruise and as long as the booking number remains the same, we still got to keep the OBC. We have had our choice of cabins as mentioned previously.

When you book onboard, you can either have your TA handle the booking from then on, or leave it with RCI until YOU decide to give it to your agent. I am guessing you are from the UK, so I don't know if it's any advantage to you to not give it to your agent immediately. We don't usually do that so that if we want to make changes or anything, we can just call RCI and they do it as opposed to having to call the agent and then have the agent call RCI.

Also, in the US we can go to many sites and see if agents are offering specials and then give the booking to an agent. That can be done anytime until final payment. So, for us, it's worth it.

I have probably said way more than you wanted to hear, but sometimes my mouth runneth over.

Enjoy your cruise(s)

Katie

Thank you all so much for the advice.

On board credit is better than nothing at all.

One thing that has just occurred to me is:

When we book through a TA here in the UK we lose our deposit if we cancel ( a bone of contention with many Brits). If I did book whilst on board and kept my booking through RCI instead of transferring it to a UK TA then found for some reason I had to cancel, would I lose my deposit then?

Gail

Have you heard about the new thing coming out called Next Cruise Option?

(When it will go into effect I dont know...perhaps someone can tell us ?)

What this means is The ‘NextCruise’ option allows cruisers to book their next sailing while on board without having to commit to a date or itinerary. By paying a nominal, non-refundable deposit, they become eligible to receive a shipboard credit to use on their next cruise.

RCI will notify the customer’s travel agent when a NextCruise booking is made and, when the passenger decides on a sail date and ship, their preferred agent can process the booking. Deposits have no expiration and agents receive full commission and revenue credit.

Oh and a thought....I should hopefully be able to tell you more with regard to UK bookings/deposit etc after my Pre-Inaugural on the Liberty as it is top of my list of questions ;)

Gail

;)

I tried to book with the Next Cruise option last week on the Majesty. It's not set up yet apparently, I had to choose a cruise date and ship even though the LA and I knew perfectly well I would switch it after I made the final decision at home.

Another thing I was just wondering about.

I usually book a balcony but on this occassion it will probably have to be an inside guarantee. By booking whilst on board do you have a better chance of getting an upgrade or I am just clutching at straws here:rolleyes: :D

I don't think booking onboard increases your chances of getting an upgrade. There are many ways to save money or get freebies or discounts that you have direct control over. Upgrades are usually the luck of the draw. If anyone knows how to get upgrades, tell us, I haven't figured it out yet!

are wonderful with booking group cruises, meaning they get first dibs on the best AFT cabins for their best customers. So we save hundreds there. But I am told NOT to book onboard since I lose my OBC if I book a group cruise. But now with Next Cruise, I am just putting down a deposit (hope it is $100 not $900) without naming where. I am given a coupon to give to my TA to book me on whatever we want & I get the OBC (hoping for $200)

So I am very happy with this news as it is a point that I have brought up to C&A as well as others.

I am waiting to hear from anyone who did it, not naming an itinerary, just putting down the deposit & then going through their TA.

Gail

What this means is The ‘NextCruise’ option allows cruisers to book their next sailing while on board without having to commit to a date or itinerary. By paying a nominal, non-refundable deposit, they become eligible to receive a shipboard credit to use on their next cruise.

RCI will notify the customer’s travel agent when a NextCruise booking is made and, when the passenger decides on a sail date and ship, their preferred agent can process the booking. Deposits have no expiration and agents receive full commission and revenue credit.

Oh and a thought....I should hopefully be able to tell you more with regard to UK bookings/deposit etc after my Pre-Inaugural on the Liberty as it is top of my list of questions ;)

Archived