Amsterdam or Noordam for Alaska cruise?

possumcat

My husband and I are going on a cruise out of Seattle in May to Alaska. This is our second cruise and have decided to go with Holland America (this will be our first Holland America cruise, our first cruise was with Princess). We are trying to decide between two ships: the Amsterdam and the Noordam . They have similar itineraries. We would appreciate any help deciding between the two. Thanks!

Well, for us we'd take the Noordam. I've heard she's beautiful and there are many veranda cabins on the Noordam. On the Amsterdam only suites have balconies--that would be a factor in our decision. If you perfer a smaller ship, then it's the Amsterdam. Check out the itineraries also as a deciding factor.

I too, think we would take the Noordam, for the veranda's and the size. We liked the Amsterdam, would take her again, but it seems the smaller ships rock and roll quite a bit more. We did Alaska in late May/early June about 8 years ago, small ship and some pretty rough days. We just did the Amsterdam, small ship, worst rocking we have ever had in 20 plus cruises. Alaska can get rough so I would choose a larger ship. NMnita

For me, I would choose the Amsterdam. I have sailed the Amsterdam, but while I have never sailed the Noordam, I have sailed her sister ship, the Zuiderdam. I enjoyed the Zuiderdam, but for different reasons than the Amsterdam or any of the other R and S style ships of HAL. I find the R and S style ships of HAL, such as the Amsterdam, to be more intimate than the Vista's. On the Amsterdam, you can get a verandah cabin without getting a suite, just like on the Noordam.

I have never experienced any less motion on the Zuiderdam than I did on the R and S class ships. One thing you can't control is the motion of the ocean.

While its just my preference for the Amsterdam, either ship you choose you will enjoy.

I like both ships a lot ... and the Noordam a bit more for large-port itineraries like Europe ... but for Alaska I'd choose Amsterdam again. One thing you might check before you make your choice is to look at cruisecal.com and see what other ships will be in each port. The smaller the number of people in any port at one time the better, IMO.

Personally we think the Vista class ships, such as Noordam, are stunning! While they are large, you don't get much of a feeling of being crowded and there are lots of facilities!

Whichever you pick, you will love it!

Check our page below for pics of our trip to Alaska on Zuiderdam, sister to Noordam, last summer.

For me, I would choose the Amsterdam. I have sailed the Amsterdam, but while I have never sailed the Noordam, I have sailed her sister ship, the Zuiderdam. I enjoyed the Zuiderdam, but for different reasons than the Amsterdam or any of the other R and S style ships of HAL. I find the R and S style ships of HAL, such as the Amsterdam, to be more intimate than the Vista's. On the Amsterdam, you can get a verandah cabin without getting a suite, just like on the Noordam.

I have never experienced any less motion on the Zuiderdam than I did on the R and S class ships. One thing you can't control is the motion of the ocean.

While its just my preference for the Amsterdam, either ship you choose you will enjoy.

Happy holidays Doone. Who knew the Amsterdam would remain our favorite? I have sailed the "O" and "W" and would choose the "A" over either, in a heartbeat. But one of these days I will board the "N" and find out what all the fuss is about. The "A" is the perfect size ship, for me.

I also prefer the Amsterdam, for the smaller size and less people. We took a trip on the 'A' 4 years ago to Alaska and are booked again in August. I have not been on the Noordam, but have been on the Oosterdam recently. The vista class (Noordam & Oosterdam) have more public rooms, but the hallways and atrium are smaller. I would personally take an inside room on the Amsterdam over one with a balcony on the Vista Class ships.

Here's another vote for the Amsterdam. We were on her sister ship, the Rotterdam, for 12 days in a Verandah cabin (formerly called a "mini-suite") and were very comfortable. You don't have to book a suite to get a balcony, as has been mentioned in previous replies. We sailed on a Vista class ship, the Westerdam, too, and though it was wonderful, we prefer a ship somewhat smaller than an aircraft carrier, and the layout is better on the R and S class ships. As for motion, I think that a cabin near the middle of the ship and not too high up is supposed to be less woozy. A more experienced sailor can weigh in on this theory. Richard and I actually like feeling the waves, so we try to get as far forward as we can.

Mrs Muir

I'm a cave-dweller and have sailed both ships---my preference would be the Amsterdam.

The inside cabins on the Amsterdam are larger than on the Vistas---the there is more outside deck space to enjoy!

If I were you I would book either a K-category on Main Deck mid-ship, or a J-category on Lower Promenade. Both will give a very comfortable ride, are convenient to all the popular day and night spots; the Lower Promenade also makes for an excellent veranda!

Alaska has such marvelous scenery that you will want to be outdoors to take in as much of the vista (small "v";) ) as you can. There are some nice, sheltered spots for this on the Amsterdam.

Whatever you decide have a great time in The Great Land.

What I find curious is that nobody has cited the itinerary as a factor.

I believe the OP stated it was a similar itinerary.

The Amsterdam does not visit a glacier,....

Are you certain of this? :confused: I haven't known of any HAL ship not to have at least one glacier on it's itinerary in, well since I've kept track (a long time).

Hubbard. Absolutely, positively. On a good day Hubbard Glacier is the very best of the four areas---Tracy Arm, Glacier Bay, Hubbard, and College Fjord.

The sail up Yakutat Bay has to be one of the most beautiful rides in the world. When you do reach the glacier you are facing a wall of ice that is five miles wide and (I can't remember how) high. It's blue, Blue, BLUE! And when it cracks and then calves it is an amazing experience.

As we sailed away from my first visit there the ship's PA system played Ave Maria. And it wasn't hokey at all.

On a bad-weather day all bets are off.

Archived