S. Caribbean--Aruba/Curacao or Barbados/Antigua/St.Lucia?

tyson

We've been on eastern and western Caribbean cruises but never a southern Caribbean cruise. We're considering a summer cruise out of San Juan and would like opinions on which route to choose. Thanks!

We've done both, and I'm not sure of the exact itineraries now, but if one has more islands to go to, do THAT one. More islands (in my opinion) are better. We are one of the few people who did NOT like Aruba as much as EVERYONE said we would. The main reason is because of the tours we took (horseback riding and kayaking). The horses went to the windiest part of the island and I hate wind, and the kayaking against the strong current is less than relaxing. We're in great shape and like strong activities, but kayaking THERE wasn't the most fun. So our legs were sore from holding onto the horses and our arms were aching from the kayaking.......well, we slept pretty good that night!! However, the aquarium on Curacao is absolutely amazing. You'll still have fun no matter where you go!

We've done both, and I'm not sure of the exact itineraries now, but if one has more islands to go to, do THAT one. More islands (in my opinion) are better. We are one of the few people who did NOT like Aruba as much as EVERYONE said we would. The main reason is because of the tours we took (horseback riding and kayaking). The horses went to the windiest part of the island and I hate wind, and the kayaking against the strong current is less than relaxing. We're in great shape and like strong activities, but kayaking THERE wasn't the most fun. So our legs were sore from holding onto the horses and our arms were aching from the kayaking.......well, we slept pretty good that night!! However, the aquarium on Curacao is absolutely amazing. You'll still have fun no matter where you go!

The itineraries I'm looking at each go to St. Thomas and St. Maarten, and we've already been to those islands multiple times. The Barbados/Antigua/St. Lucia itinerary has only one sea day where the Aruba/Curacao has two sea days. The ship would be the Adventure of the Seas.

We've done both, as well, and prefer the Barbados-Antigua-St. Lucia route. Antigua is home to our all-time favorite excursions, Eli's Eco tour and his Xtreme Circumnav tour (http://www.adventureantigua.com). And St. Lucia is the prettiest island we've ever seen - it's so lush and green it looks like the South Pacific. And although we like Curacao, Aruba isn't one of our favorites, either, plus we like port-intensive itineraries. We like just having the one sea day at the end of the cruise.

Jodi

I've done the Barbados/Antigua/St. Lucia twice and decided to try the Aruba itinerary this time. I actually like more sea days and wanted to see something a bit different.

If you like getting off the ship every day, choose the Barbados, etc. itinerary and make sure to reserve yourself a spot on one of Eli's tours in Antigua. Haven't tried the new Xtreme tour, but his Eco-tour is quite good. St. Lucia is definitely a very pretty island, though quite poor. Barbados is good for snorkeling and hanging out on the beach. Haven't tried anything else there.

Keep watching the advice that comes as folks on this board are quite good with the info.

I am looking forward to some different things in Aruba and Curacao. Good to know (thanks to Stella Darling) that maybe the kayaking in Aruba might be too much for me.:)

Jen

I also enjoy sea days and have never been on a 7-day cruise with more than four ports. Since we've been to St. Maarten and St. Thomas before, I wonder if we should go to more "new" islands, which would be the Barbados/Antigua/St. Lucia itinerary. I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice!

Hi- Both itineraries have good ports- if you are a beach and snorkel person, you will like Aruba/Curacao. As someone mentioned they are desert-like- but being Dutch/Papiamento, they offer a new cultural experience for many people.

Willemstad, Curacao is a World Heritage site- colorful and interesting IMHO.

On the other hand, the other itinerary offers lots of unique experiences. Barbados is quite varied with lots and lots of good excursions.

Whichever you choose, enjoy your cruise.

We also have found that 5 ports in 7 days resulted in our needing a vacation after our cruise to recover from the activities! We're booked for the Aruba circuit in Nov to see that one cuz we loved the AOS.

It just goes to show that what one person enjoys, another may not care for in the least. You are probably the best to decide the cruise you and your family would like. You should look at each itinerary and the ports carefully. Read all you can about the excursions. If you have cruised before, you will know what you've enjoyed in the past. Ask questions here and with your TA about the things you like to do and which ports seem more suitable. I find more value in questions here about specific activity areas rather than a general "What should I pick" entry.

You can always be sure to get opinions on this board. ....everybody has one.

If you are looking at the AOS trips, you should have a great time. A very nice ship with plenty to do....so much in fact that more sea days allow us to enjoy it all that much more.

Caveat: Never cruised in the summer months, but would imagine the "cruiser age" to be somewhat younger. Could be a plus or minus. YMMV

I wrestled with this question myself in the past. I prefer to have two sea days during a seven weak cruise but I also like for one of them to be the last day. Ultimately, I chose Serenade and the Barbados route because my previous two cruises were Explorer and Mariner and I wanted to try a Radiance class ship instead of a third Voyager in a row. Also, we had been to St. Thomas and St. Maarten before so this gave us three new ports to experience. It turned out that we spent the St. Thomas stop by going over to St. John giving us another new port of call. And, we happened to catch a refueling week so we got a brief stop in St. Croix too!

The cruise was very port intensive and it truly felt good when the last sea day arrived. It was very much needed "semi" down time. It was an incredible week and I have no regrets about booking that cruise. The islands each have something very special to offer. I am glad to have been on every one of them.

That being said, this March I will be doing Adventure's Aruba route. I am looking forward to getting back on a Voyager class ship. It will be nice to have two sea days again but unfortunately one of them is not the last day. And I'm also looking forward to two new ports of call- Aruba and Curacao. I have always been curious about Aruba and that is why I almost chose this route for our previous cruise. Which ever cruise you choose I'm sure you will not be disappointed. And then there is always your next cruise to try the route that you didn't choose this time.

I was looking at booking AOS in Feb of 2008 for a B2B. Have been to most of the stops already but thought it would make a nice 2 weeks.

As of 2008 AOS is just repeating the Aruba route every week. Although I'm sure I would still enjoy myself I would rather have a different itinerary every week.

I wonder why they are changing?

Happy New Year Cruise Friends and Neighbors,

We've had the unique experience of doing both outstanding itineraries - but in the same trip! We were on the season ending 10-day sailing of the Serenade in the spring of last year that visited St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, Aruba and Curacao plus 2 sea days. (Man, I wish RCCL would offer this itinerary on a regular basis, but that is a subject for another thread another day.) These 2 are, imho, RCCL's best Caribbean itineraries. If I had to pick one over the other, I would give the B/S.L./A itin. a razor thin edge for the range, scope and variety of tours and excursions available to experience.

Which ever way your decision falls, you'll have a great time and a great trip. Enjoy yourselves and savor the memories upon your return. And I agree with Ocean Boy, which ever one you choose first, try the other one on your next trip out.

Jack

never did the aruba/curacao itinerary but did the other one and absolutely loved it... for me, i enjoyed going to all of the islands... the more culture and islands i get to see :) i LOVE barbados... been there twice and it is one of my favorites by far. as for going to st thomas again, if you haven't already go to trunk bay on st john's... amazing snorkeling and beach :)

hope that helps :)

That 10 day special itinerary sounds wonderful, wish they would offer that all the time (are you listening, RCI?)

We did the Barbados itinerary on Adventure and it was wonderful. Yes it is tiring if you go full bore every port day, but we spent two port days (St. Maarten and Antigua) lazing at the beach and were active at St. Thomas, St. Lucia and Barbados. The Silver Moon was our best excursion ever, swimming with the sea turtles and snorkeling over a shipwreck. The last day at sea was perfect and they had to drag us off the ship. We loved it so much we're doing it again next April on the Serenade.

I don't think you would be making a mistake if you picked either one, because you'll be going back. :)

That 10 day special itinerary sounds wonderful, wish they would offer that all the time (are you listening, RCI?)

. :)

Look at the 11 day Empress of the Seas during the winter out of San Juan. Eight ports Eastern and Southern. Great but small ship with very small cabins. Wonderful crew. I did it last January and rated it very high.

Have done both several times and both are excellent choices. But, I do prefer the Antigua/Barbados/St Lucia. Agree with some of the other posts, lots of ports on this one vs sea days, which I do like sea days in the mix to enjoy just relaxing and enjoying the ship. You can always come back to the ship on a port day and have the best of both worlds.

Have fun.

Dave

I was looking at booking AOS in Feb of 2008 for a B2B. Have been to most of the stops already but thought it would make a nice 2 weeks.

As of 2008 AOS is just repeating the Aruba route every week. Although I'm sure I would still enjoy myself I would rather have a different itinerary every week.

They only alternate routes in the summer months and do the Aruba route every week in the winter. To get the back to back you want you would have to travel April-not sure (Sept or Oct) but right now itins are only out through April of 2008. Rest of 2008 will not be out until the spring I believe. You could check the summer 2007 dates to give you an idea.

They only alternate routes during the summer months, in winter they only do the Aruba route. To get the B2B you want you would need to travel sometime April-Sept or Oct (not sure when they switch over). This is not showing up right now because itins are not out past April 2008, rest of 2008 should be out in the spring, I believe. You could look at the summer 2007 dates to give yourself an idea.

They only alternate routes during the summer months, in winter they only do the Aruba route. To get the B2B you want you would need to travel sometime April-Sept or Oct (not sure when they switch over). This is not showing up right now because itins are not out past April 2008, rest of 2008 should be out in the spring, I believe. You could look at the summer 2007 dates to give yourself an idea.

Sorry double post, stupid computer:mad:

So our legs were sore from holding onto the horses !

As the parent of an experienced rider, that is definitely something for people to think about, even if your in good shape. Once a year or so, we get invited in as parents to ride and I fully understand. Maybe if this is the last port of call :o

Now off to read the rest of what looks like great posts. Our 3rd cruise will be southern, but I was going to wait till 08 to post this question :)

Archived