a few questions???

deeolasingh

First off Goodmorning.....

My first questions is about my passport should I make a copy of it to carry with me while Im at shore/ports of call just in case something happens??

And second do we need to carry a picture ID in order to reboard the ship? I know that on my last cruise we didnt need a photo id to reboard when our ss card was swiped our pic showed on the monitor?

And my last question for now how does the in room safe work do you have to use a code or swipe a card? if it is a card what kind of card do you recommed??

Thanks

Good Morning,

I think it's a GREAT idea to make a few copies of your passport. keep one at home with a relative or friend. Keep one in your room safe in case your's gets lost or stolen. That way you at least have your Passport number and a non official proof of citizenship.

I don't think in the Carribean you need a photo id but I think you do need a passport in Europe (BUT I may be wrong on this one). I usually carry a drivers license, and the S&S card.

I was on the Triumph and we used a credit card (any card w a mag strip on it) BUT it was strongly suggested NOT to use the S&S card!

HTH

FF

I keep my original passport with me at all times when I'm on foreign soil. Some folks don't agree, but I'd never be caught without it. Should a problem arise, they more than likely wouldn't take a "copy". Copies can be altered.

When leaving Cozumel, there have been armed guards at the pier who ask to see a photo ID. In that case, you'll definitely need a driver's license w/photo or your passport.

First off Goodmorning.....

My first questions is about my passport should I make a copy of it to carry with me while Im at shore/ports of call just in case something happens??

And second do we need to carry a picture ID in order to reboard the ship? I know that on my last cruise we didnt need a photo id to reboard when our ss card was swiped our pic showed on the monitor?

And my last question for now how does the in room safe work do you have to use a code or swipe a card? if it is a card what kind of card do you recommed??

Thanks

I'm with Cotton, I don't go anywhere without my passport when I am in a foreign country...

And that is my picture ID for reboarding the ship... you don't need it for boarding the ship, but you will need it to pass security at certain ports...

I use a rewards type card, or anything with a stripe... I don't use a credit card or S&S card.

Thanks for all the responses..... Im a little nervous about carrying my passport with me what if I lose it??? I guess I will go with my gut feeling...... Thanks again........

In my years at CC, I've never heard of anyone having their passport lost or stolen... however, I DID hear the story just the other week about the couple who had the ship leave them... and their passports were onboard... in just a couple of weeks, you will be REQUIRED to have a passport to fly back into the US... no WAY would I leave it on a moving vessel :p LOL

As someone who over the years has had his passport stolen twice I elect not to carry it with me at ports where it is not necessary. I am very cautious about flashing a passport when you do not need too. People do not realize that valid passports are a targeted item for thieves. Call me crazy but at most of the ports you visit you need not carry it.

As someone who over the years has had his passport stolen twice I elect not to carry it with me at ports where it is not necessary. I am very cautious about flashing a passport when you do not need too. People do not realize that valid passports are a targeted item for thieves. Call me crazy but at most of the ports you visit you need not carry it.

Well I would hope that people aren't stupid enough to be out flashing their passports around :rolleyes: But I guess you never know... there are some pretty stupid people out there :p I guess it's a personal choice... When I am in a foreign country, I like to have an Internationally accepted form of ID on me, at all times as well as proof of citizenship... and as of the end of this month, you WOULD need it to get back home if you were to get sick, injured, stay later on an excursion, get arrested, etc, or any of the reasons you might be left behind. Now, if any of that happens and your passport is on the ship (or it is stolen from you), you can still get home if you go to the police station or the US Embassy/Consulate... provide them the information from the passport/data page from the passport. The Dept of State recommends making 2 copies of your data page, keeping one seperate from your passport, and one home with family... and also carrying extra passport photos with you just in case...

So really, neither way is going to leave you completely stranded... extra hassle perhaps. Now, when I am traveling by land Internationally, I leave my passport in the hotel safe most of the time... It's all about what makes YOU comfortable...

If one is spending time at the beach, diving, or snorkeling one also runs the risk to damaging a passport. This happened to me. Despite the use of a waterproof pouch. I failed to adequately verify a good seal and ended up soaking my passport, among other things. I got some long and hard looks from customs and immigration types but made it home ok. But passports ain't cheap and there is an extra form to fill out because of the damage.

My conclusions. a) As long as I have a credit card with me I can survive the wait to get an embassy, consulate, or high commission in gear. b) a driver's license or similar photo id card is much less expensive and easier to replace. c) In the Caribbean, at least, local authorities are used to stupid tourists doing stupid things, besides generally being friendly and helpful they are fairly tolerant - after all most island economies, at least the ones that cruise ships visit, are heavily dependent on tourism.

I had a spirited discussion with someone the other day regarding the need for photo id to re-board the ship. As we concluded, and another poster pointed out, to actually re-board the ship one only needs the sail & sign card. However, to gain access to the pier one typically needs to show local security both a sail & sign card and photo id.

I've only ever encountered safes that require a card with a magnetic stripe. I use a cc or my driver's license. There are ships that use codes, check your ship's web page for details.

I always carry a copy of my passport only because, as a non-US citizen, when I board a cruise ship, my passport is taken away from me and only returned prior to disembarking.

So when I'm in a port, I have my sign-and-sail card and a copy of my passport should I need it. It's always a scary feeling when they ask for my passport and I don't like the idea of giving it up, but if they aren't going to let me on the ship unless I do...guess what...they can have my passport. :D

I am not saying or implying people are stupid or careless for flashing passports. I once used mine in New York City as ID at a hotel for check in instead of my drivers license only because it was handier. An hour later I got a call from the front desk asking me clear up a room discrepancy so I grabbed my wallet and went to the front desk unfortunately for me I left my briefcase. It was a ruse and while I went downstairs someone broke into my room and lifted my passport. I am convinced to this day it was because someone saw I was carrying a passport.

If you carry one just be discreet that's all.....

I always carry a copy of my passport only because, as a non-US citizen, when I board a cruise ship, my passport is taken away from me and only returned prior to disembarking.

So when I'm in a port, I have my sign-and-sail card and a copy of my passport should I need it. It's always a scary feeling when they ask for my passport and I don't like the idea of giving it up, but if they aren't going to let me on the ship unless I do...guess what...they can have my passport. :D

Carnival no longer takes your passport if you are a non US citizen... at least they haven't taken them from those on our last few cruises...

Just last weekend I bought everyone going on our cruise jan 25 leather ID pouch that has a zipper and plastic covered sleeve for ID's and a lanyard attached to wear around your neck. It is small enough to slip inside a shirt to conceal it while walking around.

I have always been the one to carry all the Id's and birth certificates so the kids ( of all ages) would not loose them), this time I got smart and bought these , after we get on the ship I will lock up the birthcertificates in the safe and just leave their ID and SS cards in the pouches, so that they can use them around the ship and when we get on and off the ship.

We have not yet received all our passports (in process) but we don't need them yet until 2008 for cruising but we have applied for them anyway, definatly won't have them for our upcomming sailing but will have them for the future, but again I will leave them on the ship in the safe when inports, probably just carry a copy of it on me.

to actually re-board the ship one only needs the sail & sign card. However, to gain access to the pier one typically needs to show local security both a sail & sign card and photo id. All ports are different and have different rules.

The ship makes anouncements to not forget your S & S card and photo ID. Now maybe you should have your passport with also if you get into any problems that you miss the ship you need the passport to get back into the good old USA. Never know when a cruise gremlin trips you.

We always have our S&S card, Photo ID, credit cards and Passports. I have a fabric foulder that goes under my shirt and is no problem, I started to use this when we travel to europe and works great.

It seems to me that it is a risk either way. If you take your passport ashore, you risk losing or damaging it. If you leave on onboard, you risk not having it when you need it, such as returning home by air after missing the ship.

For the next year or so, until the Customs service decides what they're going to do, we are in a rather strange position. You don't need a passport to return to the US by sea, but you do need one to return by air. By sea, a certified Birth Certificate will do.

With that in mind, my plan for my upcoming cruise in April is to take BOTH my passport and B.C. with me. The pp will go ashore, while the bc will remain in the safe. That way, if I lose the pp ashore, I still have the bc to get me back into the States. If I miss the ship for some reason, either my own fault (staying too long at Margheritaville) or not (illness, injury, delayed shore excursion), I have my pp to fly home with.

I will probably carry a photocopy of my pp, as well. I understand that it makes it easier for the US embassy/consulate to expedite getting a replacement, even though the photocopy itself has no legal standing.

Paul Noble

Archived