NEWBIES UNITE! What most concerns you?

jkudzu

Does anyone know how many pillows are provided on each bed, how the temperature is in the cabin, or if you are able to get radio stations esp. at night?

You can request as many pillows as you would like from your cabin steward.

You control your cabin temp.

No radios...dunno if you brought a satellite radio, it might work.

All you BBW--NO worries! There are bodies of all shapes & sizes out there! It's all about attitude!! (and a Miraclesuit!!!! at least for me!)

Count me in with the non-skinnies; size 22/24 here and no worries at all about cruising. I'll be poolside in all my BBW glory; anybody who doesn't want to see me in a swimsuit is welcome to look the other way. :p

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but my biggest fear (as posted in another area) is not motion sickness, but when/if that ship starts rockin and rollin, I'm gonna be terrified! Not of getting sick, but of the whole thing toppling over! I saw Titanic way too many times, I guess (even though I know there are no icebergs in the Caribbean!). I used to be that daredevil - even thought it was cool one time when our plane dropped in midflight, now it's tough to even get me on a plane - but my imagination seems to get the best of me now. How to combat this irrational (???) fear?

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but my biggest fear (as posted in another area) is not motion sickness, but when/if that ship starts rockin and rollin, I'm gonna be terrified! Not of getting sick, but of the whole thing toppling over! I saw Titanic way too many times, I guess (even though I know there are no icebergs in the Caribbean!). quote]

My first question to the travel agent was "where is the safest cabin when we hit the iceberg?" :D

And as for "fit and tan", I was once but that was 30 years ago;)

I wouldn't watch the Poisedin Adventure. Love Kurt Russell and like that guy that was in Sweet Home Alabama, but Nooooo Way! was I watching a movie about cruise ships overturning.:eek:

Yep, just gave you all something else to worry about, didn't I?:D

I too am scared of the rock n rollin...where does it come from? I know it's not going to sink etc.. but I keep imagining myself havin fun etc..then hitting rough waters and getting petrified...I really need to battle this fear...anyone with me? maybe we can come up with a way to fight the battle together? To me it's like getting on an airplane knowing there is going to be turbulance... also I'm a size 12 and going during college spring break...on these boards I've already found a sorority group and frat group going on my ship...my cruise leaves in March...guess I should stop eating now...lol

Being new to cruising myself my fear is the flight issue also, I have taken plenty of air+land packages in my day and if the flight was late delayed or whatever I knew my vacation would still be there waiting :p Also this will be the wifes 1st time on a ship this size (booze cruise does not count, does it?? lol) I have been on a large ship while in the military but in no way does that compare to a cruise liner so I know that I can handle it but the wife is kind of nervous thats why we are going for a short trip now before the longer one later in the year :D

Jkudzu: You may think this is crazy, coming from a guy but here goes. We are 'old farmers' and have a limited supply of nice summer clothes. Try to find summer clothes in January in Kansas !!!! I suggested for formal nights, I take a new pair of 'bib overals' but my wife didn't agree. Instead, she has been to several local 'Goodwill' and DAV stores and has found several outfits for her and even dockers and shorts :( :( for me. The stuff she has bought all looks new and she said is 'name brands' (whatever that means). She bought 2 long skirts and fancy tops for less than $20 for the bunch. Maybe in the winter time, people clean out closets and get rid of summer wear because she said she has found more things suitable for summer than winter at the Goodwills. Try it, you don't have to tell where you bought it or what you paid for it. :)

Mike S.

I agree completely, I am a fairly younger guy myslef and I really don't like to keep up with todays fashion world but the Good will has some great deal for all likings. You will be sure to fine pretty much all you need there at great prices also. Now I am from the city but I would be in such a tickle if I showed up to dinner to see you at our dinner table in a "Bib Overalls" :D nothing disrespectful wold have been said nor would I make the situation uncomfortable but that would have made my night :p

Today's large ships are all equipped with major stabilization systems. It is RARE that you will feel a lot of motion. Caribbean has especially smooth waters. We cruised during hurricane season, and had one day with waves of 7-14 ft. (moderate). You could feel the sensation, certainly see the waves, and even see liquid in glasses on table swaying some. Few were affected, though.

But generally you will not feel the sensation. It is most pronounced on the ends of the ship and up high. (the lower and more central you are in the ship, the less you will feel the motion--basic physics). On our 1st cruise our room was low...never felt motion. 2nd cruise we were up high & loved the gentle movement that lulled us to sleep.

Additionally, captains keep up on reports of rough water, and will reroute to avoid if possible.

There is the occasional story of very rough waters, and the one ship that listed to the side considerably once. But when you figure there are so many cruises every week without incident, I wouldn't worry.

PS Kinda like turbulence on an airplane. Really doesn't happen much, isn't dangerous, and pilots do everything to avoid it.(think of it as bumps in the road--do those scare you?) Also, fear of flying in unfounded. Your chances of being in a car accident is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much greater than in a plane crash...yet none of us hestiate to get in our cars each day! Recent report also shows that air travel is safest it has EVER been!!!

Jkudzu: You may think this is crazy, coming from a guy but here goes. We are 'old farmers' and have a limited supply of nice summer clothes. Try to find summer clothes in January in Kansas !!!! I suggested for formal nights, I take a new pair of 'bib overals' but my wife didn't agree. Instead, she has been to several local 'Goodwill' and DAV stores and has found several outfits for her and even dockers and shorts :( :( for me. The stuff she has bought all looks new and she said is 'name brands' (whatever that means). She bought 2 long skirts and fancy tops for less than $20 for the bunch. Maybe in the winter time, people clean out closets and get rid of summer wear because she said she has found more things suitable for summer than winter at the Goodwills. Try it, you don't have to tell where you bought it or what you paid for it. :)

Mike S.

I did read once on a bumper sticker: "If Bill Clinton was the answer, it must have been a stupid question." Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Here is a picture that I found. Please not how everyone else is in gala dresses, etc.

redneck_overalls.jpg

You can request as many pillows as you would like from your cabin steward.

You control your cabin temp.

No radios...dunno if you brought a satellite radio, it might work.

All you BBW--NO worries! There are bodies of all shapes & sizes out there! It's all about attitude!! (and a Miraclesuit!!!! at least for me!)

This is for Sirius:

sirius_coverage_map.jpg

This is for XM

XMfootprint_small.gif

Jersygirl,

I'll give you my tip for airplanes. When the turbulence hits, I look at the crew. Do they look nervous? They know best what's usual and what's really out of the ordinary, and they don't wanna die any more than I do...presumably.

So yeah, if it starts rolling I'm going to look at the crew. If they really look nervous, I know we're not doing well. :o

I too am scared of the rock n rollin...where does it come from? I know it's not going to sink etc.. but I keep imagining myself havin fun etc..then hitting rough waters and getting petrified...I really need to battle this fear...anyone with me? maybe we can come up with a way to fight the battle together? To me it's like getting on an airplane knowing there is going to be turbulance... also I'm a size 12 and going during college spring break...on these boards I've already found a sorority group and frat group going on my ship...my cruise leaves in March...guess I should stop eating now...lol

But generally you will not feel the sensation. It is most pronounced on the ends of the ship and up high. (the lower and more central you are in the ship, the less you will feel the motion--basic physics).

Sounds like we're in for a bit of a roller coaster sailing then. We're on the Miracle on the Panorama deck (right under the top Lido) and furthest aft. Thought I was scoring a great cabin when I saw the wraparound balcony suite become available. Perhaps that's why it was??

Kim

Sounds like we're in for a bit of a roller coaster sailing then. We're on the Miracle on the Panorama deck (right under the top Lido) and furthest aft. Thought I was scoring a great cabin when I saw the wraparound balcony suite become available. Perhaps that's why it was??

Kim

:p You will just "feel" the slight rocking sensation more than you would on a lower deck.

On our Disney cruise, we had a balcony just below the pool--as high as you can get, and toward the back. I really don't notice the motion, except when still, like lying in bed. As you move about the ship, you will be hard-pressed to feel the motion. ENJOY your wraparound balcony! GREAT score!

What I am most worried about:

1. Motion sickness! Been on small boats and never got sick before (and they were REALLY rockin!) but this time I will be pregnant. Guess I'll be getting my sea-bands out of storage :p

2. My DH is pretty shy and not very outgoing/high energy. Afraid he's going to want to just stay in the room and read all day and not get out and enjoy the ship on our sea days (we have 8 of them).

3. Looking like a giant tomato in my red formal dress (I'm not a size 3 anymore! :D)

4. And finally, passing out from the heat in the Pacific and Hawaii! Never really gets hot here in Alaska and it can be unsettling to go from 25 degree to 80 degree weather in just one day!

But really, not too worried about any of it. I am sure that I will make the most of it since this is the dream vacation I have wanted/saved for a long time! :)

I have been having trouble looking forward to my first cruise becuase of my irrational fears! I love you people - you are just like me!

1. Definitely motion sickness - both on the plane and the boat. I take dramamine for plane rides (which works in my adult life) but since I threw up on planes as a child, I am still scared to death of flying everytime I step into an airport. Not scared of crashing, but scared of getting sick. I will literally have an anxiety attack on a plane when I worry about the motion. I therefore am scared of the motion on our ship. We booked a cabin that is almost directly in the middle of the ship (mid-ship Caribe on Star princess). I also plan to take dramamine and I bought Reliefbands. That still doesn't make me feel better. Not until I get on there and see what it is really like.

2. Freaking out on a sea day and wanting to get off the ship because of motion sickness or clausterphonia and not being able to get off. They could airlift me, but I'd get air sick in the helicopter...

3. Smelling sewage the whole cruise, which will make my sea sickness worse. (see postings in princess boards)

augh, i am psychotic! :o

:eek: What have I done? I started this topic thinking it would be comforting to know that other people had some hesitations about thier first cruise too. I wondered about motion sickness on the ship but just thought I'd take some meds with me just in case. Never had any problems with it on little boats. I'd never even considered the plane ride. This will be my first time on a plane so I have no idea how I will react. Yikes! I'm a mess:D

This is supposed to be our trip of a lifetime!

I have been having trouble looking forward to my first cruise becuase of my irrational fears! I love you people - you are just like me!

1. Definitely motion sickness - both on the plane and the boat. I take dramamine for plane rides (which works in my adult life) but since I threw up on planes as a child, I am still scared to death of flying everytime I step into an airport. Not scared of crashing, but scared of getting sick. I will literally have an anxiety attack on a plane when I worry about the motion. I therefore am scared of the motion on our ship. We booked a cabin that is almost directly in the middle of the ship (mid-ship Caribe on Star princess). I also plan to take dramamine and I bought Reliefbands. That still doesn't make me feel better. Not until I get on there and see what it is really like.

2. Freaking out on a sea day and wanting to get off the ship because of motion sickness or clausterphonia and not being able to get off. They could airlift me, but I'd get air sick in the helicopter...

3. Smelling sewage the whole cruise, which will make my sea sickness worse. (see postings in princess boards)

augh, i am psychotic! :o

Flying on a helicopter is a totally different experience. It feels like you are floating and glidding through the air.

:eek: What have I done? I started this topic thinking it would be comforting to know that other people had some hesitations about thier first cruise too. I wondered about motion sickness on the ship but just thought I'd take some meds with me just in case. Never had any problems with it on little boats. I'd never even considered the plane ride. This will be my first time on a plane so I have no idea how I will react. Yikes! I'm a mess:D

This is supposed to be our trip of a lifetime!

haha.. oops! Sorry! I totally understand. I booked the cruise thinking I wouldn't feel anything, then I found these boards and heard horrible stories about waves and videos of waves and my worries got irrational. I'm sure we will be so distracted on the ship we won't realize anything is going on. But if this is your first time on a plane, take a dramamine an hour before take off just in case. I haven't thrown up on a plane since I was little with the help of that little pill. I swear, it is all irrational. :)

PS Kinda like turbulence on an airplane. Really doesn't happen much, isn't dangerous, and pilots do everything to avoid it.(think of it as bumps in the road--do those scare you?) Also, fear of flying in unfounded. Your chances of being in a car accident is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much greater than in a plane crash...yet none of us hestiate to get in our cars each day! Recent report also shows that air travel is safest it has EVER been!!!

I know that flying and cruising are safer than driving, BUT if my car breaks down, I can pull to the side of the road - where does the pilot or captain pull over if your plane or ship breaks down? It's that whole catastrophic thing for me. I used to sail with a friend many moons ago, and I never got sick, but the whole listing from side to side thing scared the you know what out of me! I guess that's my whole fear.

The Poseidon Adventure really freaked me out. I watched it before my boyfriend went on a cruise with his sister and I was worried the whole time. Of course nothing happened and he had a great time. I am pretty sure that I will to occupied on the ship to even think about it, but right now it worries me.

Archived