NEWBIES UNITE! What most concerns you?

jkudzu

:p

Motion sickness is not terribly prevalent. Some do get it, worse if bad waves (rare). Most aren't bothered; most of those that are find meds/sea bands/ginger, etc. take care of it. REALLY there is generally VERY little movement felt, especially as you move about the ship, particulary in Caribbean.

Regarding sea days & claustrophobia...I think DH had this fear. Now he is the best advertising for a cruise...as he says, "unless you look over the side, you really don't even know you are on a cruise!!!!!" On both our cruises, there were 2500 passengers (and usually 1000 crew....); I was AMAZED how it didn't often feel crowded. There are SOOOOOO many places on ships...HUGE...you will never see them all! (REALLY--YOU aren't allowed in crew's area :D)

Be prepared to have a glorious vacation! MOST who cruise are hooked from the go! (and most of us encounter few or no problems)

Ok now, just STOP...:eek:

1. Many of us have phobias and things that make us eeekkkk... but.... don't let this ruin your anticipation of a great vacation. Yes, you may feel motion, it is after all a ship on the water, but most of the time it is not terribly noticeable and if it is, there are a variety of products out there to help with the physical symptoms.

2. Many of us are not the size we want to be, have the amount of money to spend that we want, or feel completely at ease with people all the time. Relax, be happy!! Many of these people you will never see again!

Treat others with respect, be flexible, patient, and above all, enjoy yourself!!! :D

I thought that I already had plenty of irrational fears, but some of ya'll have introduced some new things that I forgot to worry about!! :eek:

So here are my fears in no particular order:

* We're driving 12 hours to the dock, so a subset of worry is that we'll be delayed/wreck on the way TO the cruise.

Once on the ship, I am worried about the following:

* I won't have packed enough of something.

* I'll have packed too much of other somethings.

* We'll get left behind by the ship.

* The ship will capsize.

* We'll get norovirus.

* I'll be claustrophobic (I do have some good things to try tho)

* I'll be seasick

* One of us will require medical treatment whilst abroad or on ship.

* My DH and I will fight and not be getting along from stress.

* Our clothes won't be "just right" and we'll feel uncomfortable.

* We'll unwittingly offend someone on the ship, either a passenger or a staff member.

* We'll somehow break a law in port and be put in a foreign jail! :eek:

* I'll have a migraine.

* Fire breaking out on the ship.

* My DH will shove me overboard because I'm worth more dead than alive...;)

I think that's about it. Pretty lengthy list, huh?

I thought that I already had plenty of irrational fears, but some of ya'll have introduced some new things that I forgot to worry about!!

So here are my fears in no particular order:

* We're driving 12 hours to the dock, so a subset of worry is that we'll be delayed/wreck on the way TO the cruise.

Once on the ship, I am worried about the following:

* I won't have packed enough of something.

* I'll have packed too much of other somethings.

* We'll get left behind by the ship.

* The ship will capsize.

* We'll get norovirus.

* I'll be claustrophobic (I do have some good things to try tho)

* I'll be seasick

* One of us will require medical treatment whilst abroad or on ship.

* My DH and I will fight and not be getting along from stress.

* Our clothes won't be "just right" and we'll feel uncomfortable.

* We'll unwittingly offend someone on the ship, either a passenger or a staff member.

* We'll somehow break a law in port and be put in a foreign jail!

* I'll have a migraine.

* Fire breaking out on the ship.

* My DH will shove me overboard because I'm worth more dead than alive...

I think that's about it. Pretty lengthy list, huh?

I'll try to ease your worries...one at a time:p

First--be GLAD you are driving. Plane delays are FAR more likely to occur!

--if you haven't packed enough of something, you can almost always buy it on the ship or on port (underwear can be washed out each night...:eek: )

--if you pack too much, the worst thing is you will have to lug it on, then off (the beauty of cruising...only unpacking once)

--I always plan to be back on ship AT LEAST an hour ahead of time, so begin packing up an hour before that; ship excursions are no worries, as they will wait for you (just do ship excursions if you are really worried)

--statistically, nearly impossible for ship to capsize, due to design; plenty of lifeboats for EVERYONE if emergency occurs....again, statistically insignifigant chance

--norovirus...WASH WASH WASH those hands; avoid touching public surfaces (handrails, doorknobs, etc.); eat right; get plenty of sleep, fresh air & exercise

--on most of the ship, claustrophobia is moot...TONS of places to go; some do complain of it in interior rooms (so book an outside or above)

--seasickness does happen occasionally; bring meds/seabands; I find a regular cocktail makes that motion feel normal:rolleyes:

--you could require med treatment...medical personnel on board; check your med insurance for coverage on ship/shore; but again, rarely occurs

--you & DH could fight; ship is big, you could not even see each other most of the cruise if need be:D but more likely you will be relaxed and enjoy each other & reconnect

--you will see ALL SORTS of clothes...my best advice is to not bring tight clothes...nothing worse than all your clothes being too tight to wear by the end of the cruise! (though you could just buy more!)

--you might offend someone; so what; you will likely never ever see them again in your life

--you would have to try to break a law on port; if you don't break laws in US, you will likely not have to worry about it anywhere else! Millions of people travel w/o problem all over the world every year.

--migraine is VERY likely..I tend to get them on vacation! Bring meds. Interior room could be VERY helpful for this one!

--fire has happened...you will do muster to prepare you for this; crew practices every week for emergencies; but again, RARE

--Now, I cannot control if DH tosses you overboard...perhaps upping his life insurance so HE is worth more dead than alive would be wise:eek:

I cruise so I can LEAVE MY WORRIES BEHIND!

Not long.....

Me, DH and DD (17yrs old) will be going on a Disney cruise in May and I am worried that they will be bored. My hubby isn't into Disney that much and DD likes Disney but is she to old? She won't do the teen clubs by herself and so I guess we will just hang out. The cruise is only 3 days so it will go by fast.

I am also worried about sea sickness. I get motion sick on a swing! I will have the patch and bonine and seaband so I am covered. I hear taking bonine a day early helps a lot.

I am also worried about cabin noise. I am a VERY light sleeper so I chose my cabin on deck seven(inside stateroom) on aft. I read these are pretty quiet rooms. We can't afford a veranda but I also read the veranda rooms were kind of noisy...waves, veranda parties..etc.

:confused: Do I have enough worries?

Me, DH and DD (17yrs old) will be going on a Disney cruise in May and I am worried that they will be bored. My hubby isn't into Disney that much and DD likes Disney but is she to old? She won't do the teen clubs by herself and so I guess we will just hang out. The cruise is only 3 days so it will go by fast.

I am also worried about sea sickness. I get motion sick on a swing! I will have the patch and bonine and seaband so I am covered. I hear taking bonine a day early helps a lot.

I am also worried about cabin noise. I am a VERY light sleeper so I chose my cabin on deck seven(inside stateroom) on aft. I read these are pretty quiet rooms. We can't afford a veranda but I also read the veranda rooms were kind of noisy...waves, veranda parties..etc.

:confused: Do I have enough worries?

You sound prepared for motion sickness. DH swears that constant cocktails are his solution!:D

I have never noticed noise; we had inside first & then balcony. BUT I do take earplugs in case DH snores. They don't drown out everything, but dulls it enough to doze off.

You will be very pleased w/ your Disney cruise. It is NOT in your face Disney. It is FAR more subtle than in the parks. DH will have to TRY to be bored! There are bunches of different activities every day. You only have one sea day, and one day at Princess Cays--glorious.

You will all have a wonderful time!

Random order here, really no more some than others...........

1. Getting shot/robbed in New Orleans.......not the place it was pre-Katrina.

2. Car getting stolen in NOLA.

3. Getting stuck with some snobbish bores as dinner tablemates.

4. Overindulging and spending quality time praying to the porceline gods.

5. Mexican police.

6. MY fair skinned DW getting lobster fried by the sun.

7. Not having cooler delivered to cabin untill the last night of cruise.

8. Having distant past long forgotten warrant resurface during disembarkment.

9. Pissing off crew and ending up another "lost at sea" statistic.

10. Having irate parent confrontation after my pavlovian conditioning requires me to stifle their obnoxious brat.

I refuse not to enjoy myself. Really looking foreward to this.

Random order here, really no more some than others...........

1. Getting shot/robbed in New Orleans.......not the place it was pre-Katrina.

2. Car getting stolen in NOLA.

3. Getting stuck with some snobbish bores as dinner tablemates.

4. Overindulging and spending quality time praying to the porceline gods.

5. Mexican police.

6. MY fair skinned DW getting lobster fried by the sun.

7. Not having cooler delivered to cabin untill the last night of cruise.

8. Having distant past long forgotten warrant resurface during disembarkment.

9. Pissing off crew and ending up another "lost at sea" statistic.

10. Having irate parent confrontation after my pavlovian conditioning requires me to stifle their obnoxious brat.

I refuse not to enjoy myself. Really looking foreward to this.

1 & 2--Can't really control these, except being smart. More than likely not a worry

3--Can happen. Either request another table as soon as you realize, or dine elsewhere (buffet, room service, specialty restaurants...)

4--Certainly can happen...play it smart...eat, don't mix cocktails, pace

5--Don't do anything illegal! Stick to common areas, don't go off beaten path

6--Not always popular advice...but DH & I tan about 2x/wk for the month before to get base tan. I use low level bed for 6-8 min. Then 45+SPF sunscreen applied 2x/day. DH also wears hat. Haven't burned on a cruise yet (oh, and I am a burner..)

7--if something hasn't been delivered, keep asking! (steward, pursers desk)

8--don't worry about disembarkation...they will probably catch you at EMBARKATION--you ain't getting on that ship!

9--Don't do anything to piss off crew! Trust me, they deal w/ jerks every week..and most make it off!

10--PLEASE stifle their obnoxious brat! I am a teacher & a parent, and I do the same...I figure I'm never seeing these people again, so I don't care if I offend them! I'm guessing my comment won't make a permanent difference, but it will make me feel better!

I'm with you...yes, problems can occur. But I refuse to waste my life away worrying about something that probably won't happen. I go on vacation to leave my worries behind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What worries me:

Tsunamis.... I too have watched poseidon... But worst of all we are due to cruise to Hawaii and after their recent earthquake...:( I am trying not to think of it... (I thank you for bringing it up - I thought I was being silly)!

Being over dressed!!! I have gone all out for both Formal and Informal evenings with Celebrity... I WANT to dress up but don't want to stand out!!!

Making sure we get to the port in plenty of time...

Getting lost whilst on the ship- I have a terrible sense of direction :eek:

Of course, the final one - how many shoes can I pack into two suitcases!!

This is a great thread!!!!

My biggest fear, even as an experienced cruiser, is getting separated from my kids in port. I therefore keep a tight hold and/or watch on them at all times.

A few of my helpful hints: (and maybe not-so-helpful ones) ;)

For seasickness, I never make a move without the patches. I got sick on our first cruise 17 years ago, and someone gave me one to use, and I haven't been sick at all since. They do make my mouth and eyes a little dry, but that's the only side effects. (They also help with the long trip if we drive to port.) No matter what you hear, any ship will rock if the wind and waves are rough enough. We went through a storm once and the ship was rocking so much that you couldn't go anywhere near the pool because the water was sloshing out in all directions. Didn't feel a bit sick the whole time. And I get sick riding in the car across town.

Getting to port--we always get there the day before and spend the night. This is mostly because my DH has the same fear of missing the boat.

Overdressed? I see a cruise as my time to wear what I never have an opportunity to wear at home. Who cares what everyone else is wearing or if you blend in? ;)

And there are lots of people on cruises, all different sizes with different tastes in swimsuits. You'd be amazed at what some people will wear. I try to remember that no one is going to notice my big behind and cellulite thighs, especially if I sit in a deck chair near that really big woman in the string bikini. Just remember to pack a couple of loose or expandable things. Remember--you go on as a passenger and you come off as cargo. :p

Getting lost on the ship--happens to me every time. I go to where I think my cabin is, and I'm on the wrong deck, the wrong end, or the wrong side. Anyone who works on the ship can direct you if that happens.

Wandering Woman--I'm with ya there on the shoes! DH always rolls his eyes at me when I start flinging 12 pairs of flip flops in there.

Wild children--if my kids were bothering you, I wouldn't mind if you corrected them NICELY. My kids are very well behaved, but occasionally they will do something that I don't realize is bothering someone else. A story--on our last cruise, my DD (then 6) was swimming with 2 other little girls, and one of them had a bucket. My DD proceeds to put water in the bucket and poured a little on one girl's head before I could stop her. (We have a pool, so our kids live in the water.) Well, the little girl starts crying, and her mother yelled at my DD and really gave it to her, hurting her feelings. (Making the little girl cry was enough to make my DD upset.) The mom kept scolding my DD until I made it over there, and DD was crying. Well, of course, I let that other mom have it, and they avoided us the rest of the cruise, thank goodness. It took some coaxing to get my DD back in the pool after that. SO...do it nicely, and no one should mind. If nice doesn't do the trick, THEN you can kick it up a notch. (OK...I'll get off my soapbox now.)

Claustrophobia--nah. (Oh! That's right! we're on a ship.) You will forget sometimes. Seriously, I have a friend that suffers from it, and she's never had a problem on a ship. It just seems like one reeeeallly big hotel with a pool on the roof.

Stress--DH and I like to use cruise time as time to relax together, even when our kids are along. There are no work schedules, ball schedules, homework, or any of the other stresses of everyday life that seem to pull us apart in all directions. We can spend time together relaxing, or I can go do what I feel like while DH naps and watches some ballgame on TV in the cabin. (He generally only comes out to eat and go ashore.) Aside from the hubub of getting aboard and off, there really is no stress.

So, that being said, there are always things that will happen, just like things happen at home. Do you worry every day about your car breaking down and not being able to get someplace? Medical treatment is easy to get, and if you need something more extensive, I've seen them fly a coast guard chopper out and pick someone up. Those people have seen everything, and they have prepared for everything possible. Migrains, fires, spouse knocking you off--these are all things that we worry about on land too... ;)

OK...sorry this turned out so long. Can you tell it's been almost a year since I cruised last? And that I'm reeeeallly ready for the next one to hurry and get here?

What worries me:

Tsunamis.... I too have watched poseidon... But worst of all we are due to cruise to Hawaii and after their recent earthquake...:( I am trying not to think of it... (I thank you for bringing it up - I thought I was being silly)!

quote]

NOOOO worries for anyone about a tsunami--at least while you are on the ship! It is one of the safest places to be. Tsumanis do not cause much more than a large swell in the water until they reach land and that swell pushes over the land in the form of a tidal wave! Actually, scuba diving is a good place to be, too...you are already prepared to be in the water, and the swell just rushed past you. The fear is being in the lowland on land.

BUT consider...most of us had never even HEARD of the word tsunami before 2 years ago...much less heard of one happening!!!! VERY rare natural disasters. Most people probably don't realize that the northwestern coast of US is prime tsunami area--how many have you heard hitting there??(can you tell I taught a course on natural disasters??!!)

My folks swear by the patch, so I used it on our first one, and I, too, swore by it. Moderate waves caused me nothing more than mild queasiness.

Last cruise, though, I changed patch mid-cruise, and apparently did not was hands well, and touched my contacts....NOT A GOOD THING! Needless to say, my equilibrium was wacked out for a full day...spent most of a day in bed untill the effects wore off. Gave up the patch...felt FINE the rest of the trip!

Still have a patch left...I WILL take it along just in case, along w/ bonine & ginger pills. BUT I'm going naked this time! :eek: (no patch...)

I have MAJOR stomach issues...Prilosec daily, very occasional TUMS or Pepcid if I eat spicy, eat or drink too much, but no real motion sickness issues (I read in all kinds of vehicles...EXCEPT the back of vans).

My son throws up on EVERY plane trip he takes, (yet never in a car/van??!!), and never once was queasy on our DCL cruise. SOOOO>>>

prepare for worst, hope for best!

Most people probably don't realize that the northwestern coast of US is prime tsunami area--how many have you heard hitting there??(can you tell I taught a course on natural disasters??!!)

True story! There are even tsunami warning signs and the like posted in the area. It's curious thing to see, even as a resident! Despite that, nothing is shaking or splashing to any extreme over here! :)

Hi everyone. I'll be on my first cruise this May, and I cannot wait! Although I am hoping that people have the common sense to wash their hands throughout the day so as to not spread germs, I only have one major concern. I fear how incredibly difficult it is going to be to go back to work after 9 days of cruising fun and relaxation! :)

I hope everyones' cruises turn out to be wonderful!

jwick

Yup--going back to real life is really hard. When we return, I have a tough time cooking meals, having a schedule, and getting up early. I forget that I actually have to go to the store and BUY food. What? There's no Chateaubriand in my freezer?!?! Why didn't someone make up my bed while I was gone taking the kids to school?

With all the cruise questions about "Formal Wear vs Jeans" getting people up in arms, it brings me to my next fear. Although DW nor myself will wear jeans into the dinning room we dont care if others do! I dont own a tux and DFW has only one fromal gown which she wore to the reception after our wedding My fear is that is there will be some of the seasoned cruiser that will all get together and decide to want to teach us newbies a lesson and all wear Tuxedos to every Dinner leaving the unexpirienced feeling out of place for sure. And also just the oposite, arriving to dinner with DW in gown me in suit jacket and tie (Semi Tuxz) and the seasoned cruiser all show up in kahki's(sp) and polo shirts!! Maybe I am being a bit paroniod but with all the debates that I have seen, I see a clothing mutiny a brewing!!! :(

Yup--going back to real life is really hard. When we return, I have a tough time cooking meals, having a schedule, and getting up early. I forget that I actually have to go to the store and BUY food. What? There's no Chateaubriand in my freezer?!?! Why didn't someone make up my bed while I was gone taking the kids to school?

Too Funny. I hope I feel the same way after my cruise

Darla and all of us watching our weight..............do you have any idea how much exercise you get on a cruise? I've done 2. Just imagine getting off of a bus, enter into the port building (most are large) and then getting on the ship. OK, now you have to go to your room. I would bet you've done 1/4 mile at that point. Or at least a portion of a mile. It's a lot of walking.

And if you're overweight, like me, you're bringing all that weight with you as you climb the ramp from the port into the ship. Now imagine it's meal time and you wait patiently at the elevator to go up 5 flights to the dining room. Only, when the door opens, it's full. You wait 5 minutes for another one to come and it's full too. Well that happened to us many times and we climbed the steps all 5 stories. Not once but over and over. Now do you think you're going to gain? Our first cruise was on Celebrity Zenith. Celebrity's menus are french cuisine. I'm talking pastries galore. Did I deny myself? No way! And I doubt that I gained anything. We were in Bermuda and both Hamilton and St. George are walking towns. While we needed a taxi to go from one town to the next, being in a town meant walking. In St. George we had to walk up a huge hill and down the other side to get to Tobacco Bay to swim. Then we had to walk up and down in reverse to get back to the ship. We had to walk blocks to get to the path that went to the bay. And then back at the ship we had to walk into the port building (steps of course) and then on the ship we had to walk to our room. Gain weight??? I don't think so. Just keep moving. By the way, at Christmas I ate like a pig this year and did my weigh in at Curves on Jan. 7th and I was 2 lbs less than in September!!!

--Jo

Dremac373--don't worry about it. There is always a huge variety of what people wear. Of course, if it's not officially formal night, no one will be wearing a tux or an evening gown. But on formal night, there is a huge range. There will be people in tuxes and gowns, people in suits and dresses, and people in the same "resort casual" that they wore on the other nights.

Darla and all of us watching our weight..............do you have any idea how much exercise you get on a cruise? I've done 2. Just imagine getting off of a bus, enter into the port building (most are large) and then getting on the ship. OK, now you have to go to your room. I would bet you've done 1/4 mile at that point. Or at least a portion of a mile. It's a lot of walking.

And if you're overweight, like me, you're bringing all that weight with you as you climb the ramp from the port into the ship. Now imagine it's meal time and you wait patiently at the elevator to go up 5 flights to the dining room. Only, when the door opens, it's full. You wait 5 minutes for another one to come and it's full too. Well that happened to us many times and we climbed the steps all 5 stories. Not once but over and over. Now do you think you're going to gain? Our first cruise was on Celebrity Zenith. Celebrity's menus are french cuisine. I'm talking pastries galore. Did I deny myself? No way! And I doubt that I gained anything. We were in Bermuda and both Hamilton and St. George are walking towns. While we needed a taxi to go from one town to the next, being in a town meant walking. In St. George we had to walk up a huge hill and down the other side to get to Tobacco Bay to swim. Then we had to walk up and down in reverse to get back to the ship. We had to walk blocks to get to the path that went to the bay. And then back at the ship we had to walk into the port building (steps of course) and then on the ship we had to walk to our room. Gain weight??? I don't think so. Just keep moving. By the way, at Christmas I ate like a pig this year and did my weigh in at Curves on Jan. 7th and I was 2 lbs less than in September!!!

--Jo

Good points, I will get plenty of exercise, I do plan on walking around alot and I want to take some gym classes as well. Although I most likely wont be taking the stairs (Just not my style :p)

adamsmom...Thanx there is nothing worst then feeling lilke the spot light is on you for all the wrong reasons. I think that I will confortable with a jacket tie and slacks combo, and I hope that I dont make DW feel over dressed.

HOW are you going to be able to EVER leave this ship??!!

HOW are you EVER going to be able to pay for all the cruises you now want to take??!!!!!!!!:p :p :p :p :p

Life will be full of IMPORTANT things to worry about!

Archived