cruisin_fanatic

Passport Clarification Needed..

Curious about this statement. I've never heard of specific requirements for Costa Rica, can you elaborate please? Thanks :)

There was at least one report I read on Cruise Critic where a cruiser was told by their cruise line that Costa Rica would not accept a cruiser traveling on a birth certificate and drivers license. I can't independently verify that, which is why I said Costa Rica may be an exception .

My wife and I always travel with a passport. Lets say we used our Birth certificates and picture ID to board the ship. We get stranded in lets say Nassau. The ship has left and you have no Passport. What would you be required to do? I'm sure there must be a way home. I don't think that we would become one of the homeless of Nassau. Just what would one have to do to get home? I guess the first thing would be to contact the Cruise line and then the American Embassy. What other options are there? What do you all think?

Double post sorry about that.

Not every Caribbean island has an American Embassy or Consulate, though some do.

OLD thread, I noticed. but it seems someone brought it forward. :)

Not every Caribbean island has an American Embassy or Consulate, though some do.

OLD thread, I noticed. but it seems someone brought it forward. :)

It's a "sticky" and has been continuously active over the years, so not really an old thread that was just reopened out of the blue.

Can you let us know the outcome on this?

Keith

Outcome on what? This thread has almost 1100 posts and has been continuously active for 11 years.

Outcome on what? This thread has almost 1100 posts and has been continuously active for 11 years.

You're right. My mistake. :)

Got it confused with another thread from the weekend.

Keith

I need to get clarification about the new passport rules to see if I need to obtain one this year or if I can wait.

I am booked for a cruise for April 22-29 flying from Tennessee to Florida. The cruise goes to Nassau,Bahamas, ST.Thomas and St. Marten. Do we need to purchase passports or not?

Thanking you in advance.:D

IMO do yourself a favor and get a pasporrt. You won't have to worry or keep asking if you have proper travel papers. If anyone, in this day and age is going to travel outside their country, it seems silly to continue to resist gett ing a passport. Does a week go by we dongt read on one forum or another someone had travel halted because they don;t have a passport. I am at the point of losing empathy for people who come here regularly read those nightmare stories and think, Oh, it won' happen to me...... Why not, why won'tt it happen t o you? the only reason would be because you have and bring a valid passport with you.

I think I remember reading SSt. Marreten may start to require passports. Why take any chance at all? If you are asking here, it is bec ause it is on your mind. Stop worfying about it n dd do something ..... get a passport. or stop international ttravel, IMO..... Sorry, but you asked.

Edited by sail7seas

IMO do yourself a favor and get a pasporrt. You won't have to worry or keep asking if you have proper travel papers. If anyone, in this day and age is going to travel outside their country, it seems silly to continue to resist gett ing a passport. Does a week go by we dongt read on one forum or another someone had travel halted because they don;t have a passport. I am at the point of losing empathy for people who come here regularly read those nightmare stories and think, Oh, it won' happen to me...... Why not, why won'tt it happen t o you? the only reason would be because you have and bring a valid passport with you.

I think I remember reading SSt. Marreten may sgtrt to require passporrts. Why take any chance at all? If you are asking here, it is bec ause if is on your mind. Stop worrfying about it n dd do something ..... gega passport. or stop international ttravel, IMO..... Sorry, but you asked.

They did ask- in 2007;). If one decides not to get a passport then they need to make sure they do have the right documents. It's really not that onerous.

It is really not that onerous, IMO, for someone who wishes to travel internatioanlly, for them to get a passport and be done with the silliness.

It is really not that onerous, IMO, for someone who wishes to travel internatioanlly, for them to get a passport and be done with the silliness.

But whether you like it or not the law gives them a legitimate choice. Some people are going to choose differently than you do simply because their needs are different.

Absolutely right — but there will always be those for whom the cost equivalent of two beers (or latte Frappucci) per year is too much.

Absolutely right — but there will always be those for whom the cost equivalent of two beers (or latte Frappucci) per year is too much.

For my family it was much more than that. It was $850. For a 4 day cruise with no idea whether or not we'd ever be cruising again. That might represent a sound investment in your book but it doesn't in mine.

But whether you like it or not the law gives them a legitimate choice. Some people are going to choose differently than you do simply because their needs are different.

Doesnot matter if I or anyone likes it. Good luck to those who wish to risk arriving at a cruise terminal and being refused embarkation. What is it worth to know they will have proper IDS and won't lose their cruise because they had a choice and thye'll show us,,,,,,,,, they will use their free choice. Like it or not? Who cares who likes it nor not. Good luck, travel safely and hope all goes well for all of us in our travels.

I think I remember reading SSt. Marreten may start to require passports. Why take any chance at all? If you are asking here, it is bec ause it is on your mind. Stop worfying about it n dd do something ..... get a passport. or stop international ttravel, IMO..... Sorry, but you asked.

Why are you replying to a post that's nearly 11 years old? Do you really think they need your advice now? This poster hasn't even posted on Cruise Critic since 2008, so I'm pretty sure they're not going to read your very timely advice.

Duh, I didn't not bring the thread forward and did not notice how old it is. My apologies. Sorryr you botheeed to read it, perhaps you did not notice :)

i'ts age right away ? Maybe it will be helpful for someone else who reads it not knowing how old the thread is.

Why are you replying to a post that's nearly 11 years old? Do you really think they need your advice now? This poster hasn't even posted on Cruise Critic since 2008, so I'm pretty sure they're not going to read your very timely advice.

The resurrection police speak.

Obviously people DO read old threads. So adding or updating information is REASONABLE.

Obviously people DO read old threads. So adding or updating information is REASONABLE.

I d find it interesting someone who read the whole thread and u;ltimately posted to it ctiticizes people who do the same. :) Gotta love it and smile a bit. ;)

I d find it interesting someone who read the whole thread and u;ltimately posted to it ctiticizes people who do the same. :) Gotta love it and smile a bit. ;)

This isn't a resurrected thread. It's been continually active for 11 years with new information added all the time and new questions answered. I post on here frequently to answer new questions and provide new information.

What is totally useless and disruptive to the flow of information on the thread is the type of posting the two of you do on multiple threads, replying to the original post, in this case made 11 years ago, as if it was just posted. Next time try reading the thread and looking at the dates of the posts before screwing up the thread with worthless and confusing garbage.

This isn't a resurrected thread. It's been continually active for 11 years with new information added all the time and new questions answered. I post on here frequently to answer new questions and provide new information.

What is totally useless and disruptive to the flow of information on the thread is the type of posting the two of you do on multiple threads, replying to the original post, in this case made 11 years ago, as if it was just posted. Next time try reading the thread and looking at the dates of the posts before screwing up the thread with worthless and confusing garbage.

Thank you . :)

Not a nice thing to say

Come guys US Citizens are not the most popular around the world theses days but many of you are risking leaving the country without proper ID. What is with you people outside the country the only thing concidered proper ID IS A PASSPORT!! I am sorry if you feel I have stepped on your toes but it absolutly iludes me why people take suchs risks - those US passports are your "key" to any US Embassy in the world and by the way the caribbean IS NOT THE USA even if these Island are on your doorstep and you do not have the same rights there as you do back home.

Please understand that Passports are not just another cost factor but they are a form of "insurance". If you get thrown into jail (innocent or not) anywhere outdside the US - your passport will get you the help of the Embassy - a birth certificate will not or only with a very segnificant delay.... and I don't think any of you would like to see some of these jails from the inside in most carib. states much less spend more time there than absolutly necessary.

Then there is the medical factor if you need to get home in a hurry from any Island it becames far more difficult without a passport (and remember things are already going wrong - want something else to worry about?) Immigrations might let the actual patient back into the country without a passport for Humane reasons but the family might be required to return via the planned way - in this case ending the cruise as originally planned...

Totally agree with Moeve. Your passport is your security should you get in some kind of trouble. When on any cruise I always keep my passport on my person at when off board.

Totally agree with Moeve. Your passport is your security should you get in some kind of trouble. When on any cruise I always keep my passport on my person at when off board.

Your US citizenship is your protection and the US Embassy will provide the same level of assistance to you whether you have a passport or not (and if you are in legal trouble there's not a lot they can do in any case). Again, it comes down to one's travel needs and where one can travel. Traveling in the Caribbean is much different that traveling in the Middle East.