Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

there is no foundation for your belief that you must have absolute proof of your citizenship on your person at all times in most countries.

Nope only in the State of Arizona you must carry proof of citizenship on your person. Can't wait until NCL calls at a port in Arizona.

(Sorry couldn't help myself)

On this State Department Web page:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html , there is the following recommendation, among many others:

"Carry the minimum number of valuables, and plan places to conceal them. Your passport, cash and credit cards are most secure when locked in a hotel safe."

FYI, in most countries you are not required by law to carry your passport on your person. On some cruise itineraries, the ship holds your passport, because they are required to have them available for inspection by local authorities upon the ship's arrival. You won't be able to carry them ashore even if you want to. I don't "believe as you do", because there is no foundation for your belief that you must have absolute proof of your citizenship on your person at all times in most countries.

Of course, your passport, cash and credit cards are most secure when locked in a hotel safe, but what good are things you MAY NEED when they're locked away? My jewelry, cash, credit cards and driver's license are most secure locked away in my home safe too, but that doesn't mean you or I would ever not leave the house with them! You carry the documents and things you need despite the risks of losing them. There has to be a common sense balance between the need to carry versus the safety of the document itself.

While it may not be explicitly required by local law or statute overseas, I do believe that is best to carry your passport whenever and whereever you are abroad. As I have stated ad nauseum previously, there is NO other official form of identification and citizenship for the individual, and in the highly unlikely but possibly serious situations in which you will NEED it, it is best to HAVE it. Remember, state-issued driver licenses, birth certificates or photocopies of your passport are NOT valid substitutes for the original passport for identification or citizenship purposes in cases of emergency. So if you elect to leave that passport in the ship or hotel safe, please just be cognizant of the real, however improbable, risks. Again, the passport exists to help and protect you--you should not put yourself at risk to help and protect it!

Of course, your passport, cash and credit cards are most secure when locked in a hotel safe, but what good are things you MAY NEED when they're locked away? My jewelry, cash, credit cards and driver's license are most secure locked away in my home safe too, but that doesn't mean you or I would ever not leave the house with them! You carry the documents and things you need despite the risks of losing them. There has to be a common sense balance between the need to carry versus the safety of the document itself.

While it may not be explicitly required by local law or statute overseas, I do believe that is best to carry your passport whenever and whereever you are abroad. As I have stated ad nauseum previously, there is NO other official form of identification and citizenship for the individual, and in the highly unlikely but possibly serious situations in which you will NEED it, it is best to HAVE it. Remember, state-issued driver licenses, birth certificates or photocopies of your passport are NOT valid substitutes for the original passport for identification or citizenship purposes in cases of emergency. So if you elect to leave that passport in the ship or hotel safe, please just be cognizant of the real, however improbable, risks. Again, the passport exists to help and protect you--you should not put yourself at risk to help and protect it!

So, let's see...you agree it may not be legally required to carry your passport, and you agree it's highly unlikely you'll need it, but somehow you conclude it's an absolute must to carry it.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, but it flies in the face of common sense, logic (by your own arguments) and the recommendation of our government.

So, let's see...you agree it may not be legally required to carry your passport, and you agree it's highly unlikely you'll need it, but somehow you conclude it's an absolute must to carry it.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, but it flies in the face of common sense, logic (by your own arguments) and the recommendation of our government.

I never said you must absolutely carry it--I said that I recommend that you always carry it. I'm merely trying to counterbalance the simplistic logic of: "a passport should be protected at all costs like a diamond ring, so it's best to lock it in the safe". My point, and it is rarely mentioned by the "lock your passport in the safe" crowd" is that there are real risks to NOT carrying your passport.

As for the State Department "recommendation", it merely states the obvious--that your passport and valuables are most secure in the safe. I don't see them taking a position on recommending that you not carry it with you. The bottom line is that travelers need to be informed and need to use their own common sense as to why and when to carry your passport (or any other things of value).

So, if you feel that the risks and hassles of losing and replacing a passport outweigh the benefits and protections from carrying it, then so be it. You've made an informed decision. Just don't make recommendations to others on this board based entirely on the hassles of losing a passport without acknowledging that you understand the purpose of the passport and the several downsides to leaving it in the safe. There is a common and false assumption that your passport is merely used to get back into your country. But there's much more to it than that! :rolleyes:

Edited by Terpnut

I never said you must absolutely carry it--I said that I recommend that you always carry it. I'm merely trying to counterbalance the logic of: "since it's not required, and the passport should be protected at all costs like a diamond ring, it's best to lock it in the safe". My point, and it is rarely mentioned by the "lock your passport in the safe" crowd" is that there are real risks to NOT carrying your passport.

As for the State Department "recommendation", it merely states the obvious--that your passport and valuables are most secure in the safe. They're not recommending that you not carry it with you. The bottom line is that travelers need to be informed and need to use their own common sense as to why and when to carry your passport (or any other things of value).

So, if you feel that the risks and hassles of losing and replacing a passport outweigh the benefits and protections from carrying it, then so be it. You've made an informed decision. Just don't make recommendations to others on this board based entirely on the hassles of losing a passport without acknowledging that you understand the purpose of the passport and the several downsides to leaving it in the safe. There is a common and false assumption that your passport is merely used to get back into your country. It's not. It's much much more than that! :rolleyes:

Would you care to educate us on the risks you feel you're protecting yourself against by carrying your passport, and how they outweigh the risks of having your passport lost or stolen if carry it? That way people can make their own educated decision. You say I've made an informed decision, and I have. What else would you like me to base my recommendation on other than an informed decision?

On some cruise itineraries, the ship holds your passport, because they are required to have them available for inspection by local authorities upon the ship's arrival. You won't be able to carry them ashore even if you want to.

Thank you.... I thought I was the only one who experienced this.

On one hand I don't like carrying my passport because it seems whenever I do it always gets water damaged, whether an unexpected rainstorm while horseback riding or excessive waves on some watercraft. Not that I mind the look of a weathered passport, to me that shows a lot more adventure than a crisp new-looking one, but with my luck it will end up at the bottom of the ocean.

The flip side of that is that I like it to be filled with stamps, which you can't get if you leave it on the ship.

Maybe I need to take advantage of dual citizenship and have two passports so I can have the best of both worlds ;)

Would you care to educate us on the risks you feel you're protecting yourself against by carrying your passport, and how they outweigh the risks of having your passport lost or stolen if carry it? That way people can make their own educated decision. You say I've made an informed decision, and I have. What else would you like me to base my recommendation on other than an informed decision?
Okay, consider the following scenarios:

1. You are arrested (justly or falsely) and are sitting in jail. The local authorities or police ask you for identification.

2. You, or someone you are with, have a medical emergency and are taken to the hospital.

3. You get stuck in traffic and miss the ship. You need to catch a flight to the next port or home.

4. You are in a routine situation and are asked for identification, but the person does not accept some US state-issued driver's license or a photocopy of a passport.

There are many more possibilities but I think you get the point. In any of these and numerous other scenarios, a non-citizen seeking assistance from local authorities or your US consulate or embassy would need their original passport. Again, if you just don't think these things will ever happen to you or just don't care, and that the protection of the passport itself is most important to you, that's fine with me. But just don't think that US citizens can wander around in foreign lands with no drawbacks or downsides to leaving your passport in the hotel or ship safe. Your passport is meant to be carried on your person to provide YOU with an officially-valid proof of identification and national citizenship, so any reason to NOT carry it is merely a rationalization.

I honestly didn't mean to upset you or get into a heated debate on the matter. I'm just trying to counterbalance the notion that it is somehow "obvious" or common sense to leave your passport in the hotel or cruise ship safe. This argument is far too simplistic and overemphasizes the problems or hassles of passport loss and replacement. It's really not that simple and I just want people to realize there are real (however unlikely or improbable) downsides to leaving their passports behind.

Edited by Terpnut

Okay, consider the following scenarios:

1. You are arrested (justly or falsely) and are sitting in jail. The local authorities or police ask you for identification.

2. You, or someone you are with, have a medical emergency and are taken to the hospital.

3. You get stuck in traffic and miss the ship. You need to catch a flight to the next port or home.

4. You are in a routine situation and are asked for identification, but the person does not accept some US state-issued driver's license or a photocopy of a passport.

There are many more possibilities but I think you get the point. In any of these and numerous other scenarios, a non-citizen seeking assistance from local authorities or your US consulate or embassy would need their original passport. Again, if you just don't think these things will ever happen to you or just don't care, and that the protection of the passport itself is most important to you, that's fine with me. But just don't think that US citizens can wander around in foreign lands with no drawbacks or downsides to leaving your passport in the hotel or ship safe. Your passport is meant to be carried on your person to provide YOU with an officially-valid proof of identification and national citizenship, so any reason to NOT carry it is merely a rationalization.

I honestly didn't mean to upset you or get into a heated debate on the matter. I'm just trying to counterbalance the notion that it is somehow "obvious" or common sense to leave your passport in the hotel or cruise ship safe. This argument is far too simplistic and overemphasizes the problems or hassles of passport loss and replacement. It's really not that simple and I just want people to realize there are real (however unlikely or improbable) downsides to leaving their passports behind.

Of the four examples you cite, only one, missing the ship, is a "must have passport" situation, and even in that case there is a fairly common procedure used by at least some cruise lines where if the ship is leaving without you, they will go to your cabin, open your safe, remove your passport, and give it to the port agent, who will in turn give it to you when you meet. The other examples you cite require identification, not a passport...except in the arrest case you may have to eventually produce proof of citizenship.

Your statement that in order to receive assistance from the US embassy or consulate you need to have your original passport is just flat out not true. What do you think happens to US citizens who lose their passports, have them stolen, or are left behind with their passport on a ship? Are they doomed to wander the streets of a foreign country for the rest of their lives? Of course not. They go to the US consulate or embassy, establish their identity with the documentation they have (drivers license, copy of passport, etc.), and are issued a consular letter giving permission to return to board a plane without having a passport in their possession. Are they inconvenienced? Sure. Are they stuck? Absolutely not. Your fundamental assumption that an original passport is needed in the examples you cite is just incorrect. Helpful, yes, a necessity, no.

I started my original post with something on the order of "others may disagree", so I never claimed my recommendation was the only one possible.

Have you ever been on a cruise where the ship holds your passport? I have. If you have, what did you do? Did you go ashore? If you haven't, what do you think you'll do?

Edited by njhorseman

I have also used my US state issued drivers license as ID in many foreign countries without a problem.

If you arrested in a foreign country, not having your passport is the least of your problems.

The number 1 issue that US nationals contact an US consulate or embassy over seas is lost, stolen or mutilated passports with the number 1 reason with in that being stolen passports. A US passport is worth a lot on the black market.

Except when traveling between countries I leave my passport in the safe, hotel or cruise. On a recent cruise all passports were kept by the cruise line until the final destination.

While this is an individual thing and I am a passport pusher, I even have heard the recommendation if you carry your US passport that you should buy a fake cover(like from Canada) to carry it in....but I don't do that either.

I have also had a color copy of my passport accepted as ID.

The number 1 issue that US nationals contact an US consulate or embassy over seas is lost, stolen or mutilated passports with the number 1 reason with in that being stolen passports. A US passport is worth a lot on the black market.

I pretty much agree with your post, but I am wondering if there is much of a black market anymore now that passports have an electronic barcode.....surely that hampers the ability to create fake passports, but wouldn't it also be hard to use someone else's if there is a computer image of their picture somewhere in Washington?

I pretty much agree with your post, but I am wondering if there is much of a black market anymore now that passports have an electronic barcode.....surely that hampers the ability to create fake passports, but wouldn't it also be hard to use someone else's if there is a computer image of their picture somewhere in Washington?

you think the computer is up to date?

It can be used at any place not tied into the US computer. There are many places to enter into the US where the passport is not scanned. I could be more specific as to where but I don't want to post it on line.

Umm, guys, could you take this discussion elsewhere? Clearly you both have your own opinions and reasons to back them up, but this thread is going way off topic from the Passport Rules. It's been around a long time and I would hate to see it locked and pulled. Thanks.

The other examples you cite require identification, not a passport...except in the arrest case you may have to eventually produce proof of citizenship.

There is only one official, internationally-recognized form of identification--your passport. If someone somewhere accepts your state-issued driver's license or photocopied passport, you are just getting lucky.

Your statement that in order to receive assistance from the US embassy or consulate you need to have your original passport is just flat out not true. What do you think happens to US citizens who lose their passports, have them stolen, or are left behind with their passport on a ship? Are they doomed to wander the streets of a foreign country for the rest of their lives? Of course not. They go to the US consulate or embassy, establish their identity with the documentation they have (drivers license, copy of passport, etc.), and are issued a consular letter giving permission to return to board a plane without having a passport in their possession. Are they inconvenienced? Sure. Are they stuck? Absolutely not. Your fundamental assumption that an original passport is needed in the examples you cite is just incorrect. Helpful, yes, a necessity, no.

I started my original post with something on the order of "others may disagree", so I never claimed my recommendation was the only one possible.

Have you ever been on a cruise where the ship holds your passport? I have. If you have, what did you do? Did you go ashore? If you haven't, what do you think you'll do?

I'm never said a passport is required in every case. It is not important whether you COULD survive or not without your passport in a certain situation. What is important is that your passport is the most useful and important document to have in those situations. That is not disputable.

And if the ship holds my passport, I fight it. If I'm not successful, well c'est la vie. I don't like it but it doesn't ruin my vacation.

Again, and you seem to be resistant to hearing my point, I'm simply trying to counterbalance a common and prevailing recommendation by a large number of CruiseCritic poster who casually recommend to their fellow cruisers to lock their passports in the safe and to not carry their passports ashore. And the most common rationalization is that losing your passport is a hassle, so leave it in the safe.

Do you have a problem with my giving some valid REASONS to carry it? I honestly don't care if you or others leave your passport in the safe. Just don't do it thinking there isn't a downside to doing so. :rolleyes:

Okay, Cheryl, now back to our original programming... :)

Edited by Terpnut

Umm, guys, could you take this discussion elsewhere? Clearly you both have your own opinions and reasons to back them up, but this thread is going way off topic from the Passport Rules. It's been around a long time and I would hate to see it locked and pulled. Thanks.

Actually, having it locked, and having a new "sticky" thread for passport rules wouldn't be such a bad idea. This thread was started over three years ago, when the passport rules were different. Much of the information in here is outdated and incorrect, and at the very least a thread this long is nearly impossible to use as a reference because it has no continuity. Where does someone who wants to look up passport rules start searching on a thread more than three years old and having more than 600 posts?

On the East Coast Departures Board, we had a long, long thread on the Cape Liberty port in Bayonne. It outgrew its useful life, so the board host locked it and we started a new and up-to-date thread.

Edited by njhorseman

Actually, having it locked, and having a new "sticky" thread for passport rules wouldn't be such a bad idea. This thread was started over three years ago, when the passport rules were different. Much of the information in here is outdated and incorrect, and at the very least a thread this long is nearly impossible to use as a reference because it has no continuity. Where does someone who wants to look up passport rules start searching on a thread more than three years old and having more than 600 posts?

On the East Coast Departures Board, we had a long, long thread on the Cape Liberty port in Bayonne. It outgrew its useful life, so the board host locked it and we started a new and up-to-date thread.

This is a very good point and I completely agree. A new thread is in order here... :)

There is only one official, internationally-recognized form of identification--your passport. If someone somewhere accepts your state-issued driver's license or photocopied passport, you are just getting lucky.

I'm never said a passport is required in every case. It is not important whether you COULD survive or not without your passport in a certain situation. What is important is that your passport is the most useful and important document to have in those situations. That is not disputable.

And if the ship holds my passport, I fight it. If I'm not successful, well c'est la vie. I don't like it but it doesn't ruin my vacation.

Again, and you seem to be resistant to hearing my point, I'm simply trying to counterbalance a common and prevailing recommendation by a large number of CruiseCritic poster who casually recommend to their fellow cruisers to lock their passports in the safe and to not carry their passports ashore. And the most common rationalization is that losing your passport is a hassle, so leave it in the safe.

Do you have a problem with my giving some valid REASONS to carry it? I honestly don't care if you or others leave your passport in the safe. Just don't do it thinking there isn't a downside to doing so. :rolleyes:

Okay, Cheryl, now back to our original programming... :)

First of all this is your opinion its not a fact. I know of no country that doesn't accept a US driver's license as an ID. YOU are the one who is saying a passport is always required and is the only acceptable identification. We are pointing out the alternative AND citing the US State Department as a source. You are just making something up that you have heard from others who are equally not a source. No one is stopping you from carrying your passport, but in most cases its not required. Its only required when entering a country(although many countries in the Caribbean and South America don't require it either-you can also go between countries in Europe by land without a passport) or returning to the US by air. After that its just not always required. So go ahead keep spouting stuff you don't know, without a source.

Edited by smeyer418

First of all this is your opinion its not a fact. I know of no country that doesn't accept a US driver's license as an ID. YOU are the one who is saying a passport is always required and is the only acceptable identification. We are pointing out the alternative AND citing the US State Department as a source. You are just making something up that you have heard from others who are equally not a source. No one is stopping you from carrying your passport, but in most cases its not required. Its only required when entering a country(although many countries in the Caribbean and South America don't require it either-you can also go between countries in Europe by land without a passport) or returning to the US by air. After that its just not always required. So go ahead keep spouting stuff you don't know, without a source.
Apparently the hostility I have stirred up has caused you not to read. I have never said a passport is required. I responded to a post that specifically asked for advice on whether or not to carry their passport ashore. And I responded by recommending that people carry it for valid purposes of ID and citizenship despite the risks and possible hassles from loss or theft, versus keeping the passport locked up in some safe. That's all.

Do you really believe your New York-issued driver's license is valid ID outside of the US? Your NY DL isn't technically even official ID outside of your own state! The fact is, in lieu of a federal ID standard requirement (there is a Real ID standard but only two states currently comply), state-issued driver's licenses are currently just a de facto (and not a national) standard for identification in the US. Okay, a de facto versus official ID standard doesn't have much practical meaning here in the US (yes I drive freely between states without fear of Virginia cops not accepting my MD DL), but it is more risky for you to think (without any pause whatsoever) that your New York DL is as valid or useful overseas as your passport so you can leave the passport behind. In the overwhelming number of situations, people overseas will shrug nicely and accept your DL for routine ID. I merely point out that, just because the waiter in Paris or the store clerk in Munich happen to accept your DL as ID doesn't mean that it's the same as your passport. Those are individuals in those countries, and not governments, that accepted your DL as ID.

In the end, these distinctions may or may not be important to you, and that's fine with me. But do I really need to cite sources as evidence that my passport is more valid than your NY DL as official identification or proof of citizenship? C'mon... :rolleyes:

Edited by Terpnut

Actually, having it locked, and having a new "sticky" thread for passport rules wouldn't be such a bad idea. This thread was started over three years ago, when the passport rules were different. Much of the information in here is outdated and incorrect, and at the very least a thread this long is nearly impossible to use as a reference because it has no continuity. Where does someone who wants to look up passport rules start searching on a thread more than three years old and having more than 600 posts?.
I don't know, but they do, probably because it is a STICKY. I am quite sure the new posters only read the last page or so of information and then ask their passport question, but I will ask about having the sticky updated. I understand one option is to delete the outdated earliest posts, which is why I don't think we want to keep the recent few days of discussion as it is not pertinent to Passport Rules. Passport Opinion, certainly, just not rules. Edited by cherylandtk

Apparently the hostility I have stirred up has caused you not to read. I have never said a passport is required. I responded to a post that specifically asked for advice on whether or not to carry their passport ashore. And I responded by recommending that people carry it for valid purposes of ID and citizenship despite the risks and possible hassles from loss or theft, versus keeping the passport locked up in some safe. That's all.

Do you really believe your New York-issued driver's license is valid ID outside of the US? Your NY DL isn't technically even official ID outside of your own state! The fact is, in lieu of a federal ID standard requirement (there is a Real ID standard but only two states currently comply), state-issued driver's licenses are currently just a de facto (and not a national) standard for identification in the US. Okay, a de facto versus official ID standard doesn't have much practical meaning here in the US (yes I drive freely between states without fear of Virginia cops not accepting my MD DL), but it is more risky for you to think (without any pause whatsoever) that your New York DL is as valid or useful overseas as your passport so you can leave the passport behind. In the overwhelming number of situations, people overseas will shrug nicely and accept your DL for routine ID. I merely point out that, just because the waiter in Paris or the store clerk in Munich happen to accept your DL as ID doesn't mean that it's the same as your passport. Those are individuals in those countries, and not governments, that accepted your DL as ID.

In the end, these distinctions may or may not be important to you, and that's fine with me. But do I really need to cite sources as evidence that my passport is more valid than your NY DL as official identification or proof of citizenship? C'mon... :rolleyes:

besides the fact that you can't read this what you said

"There is only one official, internationally-recognized form of identification--your passport. If someone somewhere accepts your state-issued driver's license or photocopied passport, you are just getting lucky."

and there are many captains on many cruise lines who, if you insist that you won't surrender your passport which they need to clear certain ports will refuse to board you and you won't be entitled to a refund either.

Its just not true. The US only recognizes the passport but others recognize the DL. An international drivers license requires the state license to be produced at the same time and is recognized as an official id. Please stop it you are wrong: officious and a terp nut is a good name for you.

Edited by smeyer418

besides the fact that you can't read this what you said

"There is only one official, internationally-recognized form of identification--your passport. If someone somewhere accepts your state-issued driver's license or photocopied passport, you are just getting lucky."

and there are many captains on many cruise lines who, if you insist that you won't surrender your passport which they need to clear certain ports will refuse to board you and you won't be entitled to a refund either.

Its just not true. The US only recognizes the passport but others recognize the DL. An international drivers license requires the state license to be produced at the same time and is recognized as an official id. Please stop it you are wrong: officious and a terp nut is a good name for you.

Honestly, is this issue really worthy of all this hostility and venom? I don't feel I've deserved the name calling.

Neither an IDP/IDL (which are used solely for driving purposes and not for ID) or a cruise ship taking your passport, have any bearing in addressing the original poster's question, which was "Should I carry my passport ashore or leave it in the safe?". Obviously if the ship already took it, this question isn't applicable anymore. And as an aside, remember cruiselines take your passport to facilitate/speed their customs and border control interactions with authorities, and not because it's in your best interests.

But to the original question, again my personal opinion/recommendation is, after consideration of all possible benefits and risks, carry that passport whenever you have the option. That is my prerogative. If you believe your NY-issued driver's license is an internationally-recognized form of ID that is just as valid or useful as your US passport while you are overseas, then obviously I'm not going to convince you otherwise, and that's your prerogative. Why are you getting all worked up simply because I've pointed out a few negatives to leaving that passport in the room safe? Does your blood boil simply because I have a different perspective from yours so I have to "wrong"? Do you even know what a Terp is!? :rolleyes:

Edited by Terpnut

...Do you even know what a Terp is!? :rolleyes:

yes you!

As I have said over and over a driver's license is accepted as ID. What you misunderstand is that its not ID that at issue it's nationality. A passport proves your Nationality and ID. A drivers license is ID. Most countries don't care about your nationality. They will assume it from you ID. You can carry your passport no one said otherwise, its just not necessary most times. and if you refuse to hand it over to the ship as they require you and your fellow terps aka twerps can waive the ship good by too...

Edited by smeyer418

• 1 month later...

I am looking for current (summer 2010) passport information. This thread is now down to 2 poster fighting over something and too much to read. Can anyone point to a newer thread or some real info? Yes, I have been on the state dept site. I also called RCCL and although the state dept has that a passport is required there are other ways to go to the caribean. At RCCL I was told that a driver's license and birth certificate or naturalization certificate is sufficient.

Any help? re-direction?

I am looking for current (summer 2010) passport information. This thread is now down to 2 poster fighting over something and too much to read. Can anyone point to a newer thread or some real info? Yes, I have been on the state dept site. I also called RCCL and although the state dept has that a passport is required there are other ways to go to the caribean. At RCCL I was told that a driver's license and birth certificate or naturalization certificate is sufficient.

Any help? re-direction?

we haven't been fighting for 6 weeks. the homeland security web site has the most current info

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

look under "special groups" for closed loop cruise travel...

there is a place on that website to email them for a specific answer....which you can post here if you email them and see what they say...

good luck...

BTW there is an interesting thread on a stolen passport on the NCL cruise lines threads.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218251

Edited by smeyer418

• 2 weeks later...

The United States requires everyone arriving in the United States to have a valid passport unless they have a trusted traveller card and it is in use at the border crossing they are using. A drivers licence maybe acceptable as a secondary piece of identification but it does not establish nor does it prove citizenship. In the simplelist of terms it proves that you are legally able to drive a car in the state in which it was issued. There is an exception some provinces in Canada and some states have an agreement to issue what is called a secure drivers licence which is subject to special procedures and where persons have such a licence they can use to cross the border by car. I could almost guarentee you that if you tried to board a flight in Europe destined to the United States without a valid passport you would be denied boarding. I refer you to the US State Department Web Site. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html The only exception is if you are flying in from hawaii or Alaska