Your pick... Marv and Harv or Capt. Larry?

heyitsmejudy

Trying to book whale watching. Actually had a human answer on first ring with Marv and Harv. Left several messages with and sent several emails to Capt. Larry with no response. Their Web site still has 2006 schedule/prices on it.

Can anyone offer insight on these two companies (or others) and do you have a preference for some reason one over the other?

Many have spoken of Orca Enterprises (Larry) but Marv and Harv it seems will customize times and only takes 6 people out at a time vs. Larry's 40 plus.

Frankly, if I don't get a response back from Capt. Larry the decision might make itself, but if anyone's had run ins with both or either company I'd appreciate some input.

either gets great reviews. capt larry is actually ocra enterprises..they have about 3 boats that take out people. capt larry is one of the capts that do the tours. capt shaun was along for the ride with capt larry when i took my trip, found him to be very pleasant. all of the boats, not just ocra enterprises, talk to each other over the radio. they all worked together to see the most whales.

harv & marv have 2 boats..neither takes more then 6 people at a time. yes, they can do a more personal tour. both of the companies leave from the same docks, both have restrooms on board, both do snacks and both have been around for a long time and know their business. the main difference is price. h & m cost a little more.

if you look at capt larry's website he has some great pictures he took in his years of doing this. quite a character (sorry, capt larry)

we had the honor of being on the "purple" boat. capt larry designed it for comfort of passenagers and safety of the whales. interesting boat.

either company will give you a great tour, but to talk to someone at ocra's you need to call during their business hours (alaska time).

We did an evening whale wacthing tour via Princess last June. (Allen Marine, I Think)

We have booked with Marv and Harv for this May.

My husband did want to be on a large boat again trying to take photos with many other people. We figure we may get a bit closer to the whales on the smaller 6 pack boat.

My husband did want to be on a large boat again trying to take photos with many other people. We figure we may get a bit closer to the whales on the smaller 6 pack boat.

I think you mean to say that your husband did NOT want to be on a large boat...

I had the same problem last year with trying to contact Capt. Larry. Once they finally responded, things went smoothly. I personally didn't take his tour but my family and friends did and loved it. I didn't go because I had just been on a whale watching excursion two months before in Iceland.

If I did it (planning on Juneau in 2008) I would probably try Harv's and Marv's mainly because of the small number of passengers. But both get great reviews.

just think it's mostly cost, h & m can do a specialized tour if you rent the whole boat. that is a nice deal if you have 4 to 6 people in your group.

capt larry and the boat with ocra enterprises all have open area. most of the people stayed inside (can you believe that?), on the purple boat they have a nice open area in the back and the top deck is open for viewing. there were only 2 people out taking photos on my trip.

next time i go, i will have better digital with the best zoom possible.

We also wanted to do a whale watching tour in Juneau and decided to go with Alaskan Marine Adventures. It also is a smaller boat, something that really appeals to me and I was very pleased with how fast they were to respond to my e-mails. I am really looking forward to this excursion.

We used Harv and Marv last July and they were fantastic! We were picked up at the dock area by Mrs. Harv, and she told us a lot about Juneau and answered a bunch of questions on our ride to the dock. The boat was great (they actually have two boats-- one each-- and both guys actually are called Harv but that's another story!). Both guys are great, the boats are fast and smooth and SMALL. This is the real difference in the two companies: one has very small boats (6 people max) and the other quite large. We loved the personal experience and, in my opinion, it results in a lot more personalized attention and personalized trip. They are flexible on timing, destination, etc. in a way that a big boat can't be.

Mrs. Harv also waited for us to eat at the dock cafe before driving us to Mendenhall Glacier (at no extra cost). She even came back to deliver our son's coat when we realized after 30 minutes that it had been left on the van (and refused to take any additional money for her troubles). Harv and Marv felt like going out on a boat trip with old friends of the family rather than a mass marketed tour. Good luck.

PS We also saw a group of 12-14 humpback's bubblenetting in a group, which remains our kids' favorite moment of the entire Alaska trip.

Why not try Alaskan Marine Adventures? They are a small company who has given me outstanding customer service. I have had several e-mails already from them and they have gone out of their way to provide us with an excellent excursion. Not only on the whale watching tour but since we want to go the Mendehall Glacier after our tour we will be dropped off and they are making the taxi reservations for us to get back to port. Yes we could of chosen the blue shuttle bus but after reading some reports on how crowded the lines get waiting for the shuttle we decided on using a taxi service. Yes it may be a little more expensive but our time is valuable in each port and we certainly do not want to be wasting it waiting for a shuttle. And by the way the captain name is Case and he is a regular on these boards.

Capt Larry usually vacations/gives lectures/whale watches in Hawaii around this time I believe. Last year, many from his office went with him also.

Coral is right. They usually are in hawaii this time of year. I did the Orca whale watching the 1st part of June last year and made my reservation end of Feb. first part of March. Their boats are not crowded at all or you do not feel crowded. Highly recommend them.

Marilyn

I actually did get up with someone from Capt. Larry's... she said she goes to school and is in the office in the late afternoon.

BUT I opted to book with Harv and Marv and have talked to Eileen on the phone (both when she's called me and when I've called them.) They seem like really nice people... super friendly and I am so looking forward to meeting all of them. I decided I'd rather pay a little more (I think it's like $14 difference) for a more personalized trip.

I think we're even going to pay for Eileen to paddle the kayak out to the whale watching boat to bring us some of her famous cookies!

We're going with harv and marvs. I e-mailed Eileen, and within hours she e-mailed me back. I spoke to her on the phone also.

I agree with 44disney. Eileen made me feel like an old friend.

I liked the idea of having only six people vs 60-70. Not to mention I heard she bakes the best choc. chip cookies.:D

After reading numerous reviews on both , I really dont think you can go wrong choosing either. Its really rare to find anything negative about either company. We finally chose Harv & Marv because of 1. the smaller boat , only six people , and 2. their tour starts and ends an hour earlier than Capt Larry's the day we are in port , which will give us another hour to explore Mendenhall. After our tour they are going to drop us at Mendenhall and we'll catch the shuttle back when we're finished.

I also second others opinions of their customer service. When we called Eileen answered promptly , talked to us like we had been old friends forever , and then sent an immediate e-mail confirming reservation.

Archived