Alcohol Smuggling

vesw01

I know this causes issues when someone brings this up, but I am just curious - please no flaming -

When we went on Carnival last year we put a bottle in our checked luggage and it made it through to our cabin with no issues - does Royal do the same or are they more strict?

cb at sea is technically correct: they won't open your bag.

However, they do have a written policy that you are not allowed to bring alcohol aboard in your luggage. Also, they do send luggage through security x-rays.

Worst case scenario? They suspect you have it fromthe x-ray, they call you over the PA system, you go to the hold, open your luggage, and they hold the liquor until the last night of the cruise and deliver it to your cabin.

You need not change bottles, just wrap it well and put it in your checked, locked bags--they don't open bags. They don't want you flaunting your alcohol, but if you bring a bottle of something, no one seems to mind.

Actually they will open your luggage for security reasons but not for a liquor bottle. I had my luggage opened by Enchantment security and they removed my dive knife which was held to the end of the cruise. A note was put in stating this and that it would be returned at disembarkation. I was told I could retrive it when getting off the ship in a port if I wanted it for a SCUBA dive there but I didn't bother doing so since I would then have to recheck it in when boarding again. Now I leave it at home when cruising even if I am planning to dive. I imagine they would do likewise for another weapon such as a firearm, sword etc. The bag they opened actually had a liter bottle of liquor in it and it was left in the bag to be delivered to my cabin.

Cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale end of November. We had 2 bottles of wine and 5 cans of beer in our carry on to the ship bag. It went through Xray with no problem. We had more bottles of wine mixed into several bags that we curbed checked. Everything made it through ok. Our friends had wine in several of the bags they curb checked and had no problem. This is just our experience. We did buy drinks on the ship along with what we brought.

I know this causes issues when someone brings this up, but I am just curious - please no flaming -

When we went on Carnival last year we put a bottle in our checked luggage and it made it through to our cabin with no issues - does Royal do the same or are they more strict?

You will be fine. This is how we do it, everytime, and we have never had issues.

cb at sea is technically correct: they won't open your bag.

However, they do have a written policy that you are not allowed to bring alcohol aboard in your luggage. Also, they do send luggage through security x-rays.

Worst case scenario? They suspect you have it fromthe x-ray, they call you over the PA system, you go to the hold, open your luggage, and they hold the liquor until the last night of the cruise and deliver it to your cabin.

And we never hear anyone say that this actually happened.

You'll be fine, smuggle away!

I have never had a problem of packing alcohol in my suitcase. I do however package it very carefully. I have noticed on previous cruises how hard the porters throw the luggage on the ship. The put them in these large bins and they bring them along side the ship and usually two guys reach in and start throwing them in the ship. It seemed funny and a game to them. Make sure you pack it really good.

Is there a duty free shop before you get on the ship in Fll? Is there a close store that sells liquor close to the port? i take it from the reply that I can check it through the x-ray machine at the port check in my carry on bag. thanks for any help.

Is there a duty free shop before you get on the ship in Fll? Is there a close store that sells liquor close to the port? i take it from the reply that I can check it through the x-ray machine at the port check in my carry on bag. thanks for any help.

You may NOT bring on beer (or any other liquor) in your carry-on. They will confiscate it. Recommendations made in this thread were to pack it in your checked luggage.

That said, Florida is one of those states that allows beer and wine sales through their supermarkets, and there are plenty of those everywhere!

Merion_Mom was supposed to report back to us on this exact matter as she just got back from two (?) cruises recently.

Heelllllloooooooooooo? Merion_Mom, are you out there (or in there)???

Inquiring minds want to know.

(I've got two cases of wine ready for our June cruise, and dont want to have to feed the fishees with it) :(

Erin, I didn't even TRY to carry anything on. I ordered gift baskets from Just Because of You, and then paid for the rest at the bars. It worked out fine, and we had no breakage or confiscation worries.

Now, when I NEXT cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, I'm going to make a quick stop at a liquor store on the way, and stick two bottles in my checked bag.

:D

Personally, I think that RC was trying to "scare" at least the worst offenders, and until the next Bad Incident, the pressure is now off.

JMO YMMV

Let me add to the reminder that nothing beats a waterproof float bag. This will contain your carefully wrapped liquids should the gorillas handling your luggage happen to break your bottles. These are available at many sporting goods stores, and all outdoor stores. I never leave home without one.

jc:D

Archived