Dominica pier--need QUICK responses!

Joby

AAAARRRRGGGGG--another "problem" with our excursions.

We are on the Galaxy 1/22--2/2 southern Caribbean 11 night sailing departing and returning to San Juan (Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts and Tortola ).

I emailed all of our private excursion guides this week to reconfirm all of the details of our excursions. Am I glad I did, 3 of them had something different than I did or last minute problems.

Dominica--my itinerary and cruisecal.com have us tendering at ROSEAU, Dominica. BUT our private guide "Beno" said his info has us docking up north at PORTSMOUTH and that could be a problem (it's an hour or so north of Roseau).

I called Capt. Club 2 days ago and they said they had never heard of a Celebrity ship docking at Portsmouth, but they would check and I've never heard back from them.

Is there anywhere I can call or check to see for sure where we do dock at?

We are traveling with our Mom who is 77 and rather frail and uses a cane/wheelchair to get around, so last minute changes can be difficult.

I'm going nuts with the last minute scrambling on excursions!!!

Please help!

I find it highly unlikely your ship is docking at Portsmouth. Celebrity has always docked at Roseau, which is the capital and largest city and most accessible to tourist attractions. You should find out where Beno is getting his information from to judge how reliable it is; I doubt he has some information that would contradict Celebrity's web site in an inexplicable way. (Not that the web site can't be wrong, but docking at Portsmouth would be weird.)

[On edit] Are you sure you're tendering at Roseau? We docked there with Constellation.

02143, yes, the itinerary says "tendering" and I just called Celebrity AGAIN and they "assure" me that we are "tendering in at Roseau".

Beno says his info says Portsmouth. I think he's a reliable guy and gets LOTS of good comments on the Dominica board.

I'm going nuts with these last minute changes!

We have been to Dominica four times.

The downtown Rosseau pier will only accomodate one typical cruise ship. We have never tendered, not that it is impossible to do so.

FWIW on one occasion we docked a mile or two west of town at a more industrial pier, and last trip we docked downtown and another ship was at the alternate pier. This is not the Portsmouth pier which is at the north end of the island as stated.

Have a good time, Dominica is beautiful and largely unspoiled.

Bodger

Hi Lsimon, yes, I too looked it up on cruisecal.com and it showed Roseau.

Beno says that his "schedule" says Portsmouth. I called Celebrity again today and they say Roseau and tender.

I asked why we tender and they said because it's a very small dock and ALL ships tender.

VGPGH, I sure hope Celebrity docks at Roseau!

I wish I could get a real for honest to goodness positive answer:)

Bodger, a mile or two wouldn't be bad. I just hope it's not way north at Portsmouth.

I like to, if possible, have my ducks in a row before we leave--excursions planned, etc. Sometimes changes happen, but before I leave I like to "think" I have everything under control.

Could there be issues there???:rolleyes:

Spender Nui, that's what Celebrity told me this AM. There are 3 ships in port at Roseau the day we are there.

We have everything set up for Roseau, sure hope that's right! Although, it would be easier for us to dock instead of tender, but I'm sure we'll manage either way :)

Both time at Roseau we tied up at the pier. It is only big enough for one ship. Come to think of it, so is the town.

If you plan ahead, you can get a tour guide reserved to take you anywhere you want to go. Once, I hiked to the boiling lake. It is not something the cruise lines do due to the difficulty. But one walk through the valley of desolation and it was worth all the effort. Best hike of my life!

There are 3 ships scheduled to be in Dominica on the day we are!

We have a very highly recommended guide "Beno" set up for Roseau. He emailed that if we docked in Portsmouth that it would cost a extra. He didn't say how much, but I got the feeling that it was not going to be $5 or $10 dollars. It's already $180/7 hours private tour for 3 of us.

We leave in 2 days and I'm a nervous wreck.

We have a very highly recommended guide "Beno" set up for Roseau. He emailed that if we docked in Portsmouth that it would cost a extra. He didn't say how much, but I got the feeling that it was not going to be $5 or $10 dollars. It's already $180/7 hours private tour for 3 of us.

If you have his number can you call him on your cell phone when you get there? Get a contact # for him, and check with your cell phone company to make sure your phone is set for international calls.

Have a great cruise. We're on the same itinerary as you, but in three weeks. When you come back please post in your roll call to let us know how your trip went!

I asked why we tender and they said because it's a very small dock and ALL ships tender.

Well, the person you spoke to was just making that up, because I've walked off Constellation onto the dock at Roseau with my own two feet. "More than one ship" seems to be the answer, and Galaxy is probably the smallest cruise ship in port that day.

In any case, it sounds quite certain that Beno is wrong.

I am not sure how many ships can dock at once, but I do know that occassional one of the ships need to tender. Our ship tendered in this port the last time we visited. I think it was two docked and ours tendered. This was several years ago on HAL.

Joby, I just checked cruisecal and there are two ships listed in port on 1/30 the Galaxy and the wind star ship. I don't see any other ships for that day.

Hope all will be well for your trip. RELAX AND ENJOY IT!

Archived