Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

I have been reading several reviews of the Conquest lately and it seems that many people have been very negative. I personally do not listen to the nay sayers because I read negative things about my last cruise ship and had the time of my life. I just can't see how cruising at any time any where can be terrible. I just wonder if these people have terrible vacations no matter where they are or how they get there.

I have been reading several reviews of the Conquest lately and it seems that many people have been very negative. I personally do not listen to the nay sayers because I read negative things about my last cruise ship and had the time of my life. I just can't see how cruising at any time any where can be terrible. I just wonder if these people have terrible vacations no matter where they are or how they get there.

Amen! It's all in the attitude!!

I had the same experience before I went on my first cruise. I read so many negative reviews before going on NCL but we had a great time. We all just need to realize some people will always complain about things and are never happy no matter what. Some see their glass half full, others half empty.

Maybe they put too much emphasis on the Critic in Cruise Critic.:)

well i am sure glad you think, everyone who has posted negative are out to get things for nothing....some of us, cant speak for all but most of us have cruised before, so therefor we have baseline on all guest aboard a Carnival cruiseline should be treated, yes there is going to be varibles in every cruise, On my cruise recently, i absolutely was not impressed with the Conquest, I chose this ship because i have never sailed on this size of ship before, Some of things i had negative experiences were the lack of entertainment options, several bars were not even open during the cruise. Camp Carnival used the disco up until 11pm each night, so the disco never got going for those of us who wanted to use it....as far as the other things i have expressed the staff was not very friendly on this cruise for what ever reason, I understand people will have ups/downs in life, but to run across so many having a bad week, is not my idea of fun.

For you to call out all of nay sayers as you so call it is not called for.....I am so glad your cruise was good. As you have expressed earlier, everyone's expections are going to be different....But when have had good cruises and bad cruises, you like to report both so others can make a good determination on which ship to choose from.....

Here is another valid point, If you only have 1 negative review then i could tend to agree with you, but when you start getting multiple negatvie reviews then that raises the red flags......just my 2 cents!!!

I had fun on the Conquest (wk of 3/25). It may be different expectations and/or what people were looking for. I didn't have problems with the staff I encountered.

I think with a ship this large there are going to be many different experiences so you have to find the cruiser(s) you relate to. I.e are they looking to do things with their kids (ages of those kids), more as a romantic getaway with spouse, fun to be had with lots of other cruisers.

I know it was hard for me when I was reading reviews to find which ones were going to predict how much fun I'd have.

As someone who traveled with her kids and grandchild and someone who just wanted to relax, take in a few shows, not use the bars much, I had a great time. I also ended up with a quiet floor so this worked out good for me. Examples: Now if I had noisy neighbors, I would not have been a happy cruiser. Note - I had a room that was a little on the warm side, but this suited me. I don't think my daughter was thrilled as it wasn't cold enough, I hate AC when it makes me cold. Many would not have happy, but for me it worked out great. :p

Michelle

hobby is closest. carnival does not provide transportation from hobby to the pier...however, we rented a car, one way through enterprise and dropped it off about 5 minutes away and they shuttled us. then we booked with galveston limo for a shuttle ride to hobby (HOU) and they were cheaper than carnivals trip to bush. they waited for us as we were the last color called to get off the ship. i would use them again. we actually got a rental cheaper than the price of our one way shuttle.

hope that helps.

We are going Labor Day Weekend and we are leaving from Bush International..if you do not mind can you tell us how much you paid for the limo.

While I have only been on two cruises, both on the Conquest.......I have traveled all over the world, Japan, Germany and Africa to name a few, not anywhere have I experienced the vacation that I had on the Conquest. The first trip I didn't have any expectations and by the second trip the bar was set pretty high based on the first trip. We leave again in 19 days and I have no doubts about the vacation we will be getting. Yes I would not be happy about lack of air in my room, or an uncomfortable bed, however I believe that some of the service that others may have recieved could be based on their attitudes towards others....................just my 2 cents......

Oh and there will be negative reviews, you can bet on it, but the positive reviews by far out way the bad ones and sometimes if life gives you lemons, you make lemonade!!

Does anyone know why Conquest was SO late leaving yesterday? I thought maybe it was due to weather on the East Coast and flight delays, but not sure. I figured by the time she pulled out, I'd have had my suit cases unpacked, mustered the drill, had a few drinks and be ready for dinner. But once I'm in Galveston, I'm on vacation doesn't matter what happens or when.

Worst day on a cruise is better than the best day at work!

While I have only been on two cruises, both on the Conquest.......I have traveled all over the world, Japan, Germany and Africa to name a few, not anywhere have I experienced the vacation that I had on the Conquest. The first trip I didn't have any expectations and by the second trip the bar was set pretty high based on the first trip. We leave again in 19 days and I have no doubts about the vacation we will be getting. Yes I would not be happy about lack of air in my room, or an uncomfortable bed, however I believe that some of the service that others may have recieved could be based on their attitudes towards others....................just my 2 cents......

Oh and there will be negative reviews, you can bet on it, but the positive reviews by far out way the bad ones and sometimes if life gives you lemons, you make lemonade!!

good points Heather!

I imagine everyone can have a bad day, hell i get them too....i am only human!

Good luck and report back on your cruise!

Our first cruise was on the Elation out of Galveston. Our 2nd was on the Conquest out of Galveston.

We tend to like the Lido deck on the Elation better then the Conquest. The Conquest is a bigger ship but I'm not too crazy about the stadium style lido deck on the Conquest.

But I tend to like the covered pools on the Conquest at the rear of the ship better then the open rear pools on the Elation.

I think the itinerary on the Conquest is better then what it was on the Elation.

There are plus and minuses to everything. We will be going out on the Conquest again this May 6th. Hopefully there won't be too many school age folks invading the pools and saunas this year.

I was one of those who posted a "negative" review...In my mind 3 out of 5 is not negative its average. As with KC fan this was not my first cruise and had it been I would have been impressed at the value for the money. But...when you cant sleep well for 7 nights because of the bed and you report it and nothing is done that plays into your attitude. I too have traveled alot and know you have to be flexible, etc.. I have been (not just on a cruise) to Mexico, Jamaica, Brazil, Canada, Bahamas,US locations, etc. and know you have to relax and enjoy. I have slept in the hot Mexican nights without A/c and the deserts of Mexico in the winter without heat but was happy.This I was expecting just as I was expecting certain "basics" from Carnival. We did relax and enjoy this time but felt that to be fair with those looking at this ship to report our experience both good and bad. I wouldn't "not recommend" this cruise but personally will not book it again without trying other options. Again I am not approaching this with a negative attitude but just reporting our experience. Maybe ??? Carnival was having a bad week on this ship???? It could be possible that everytime the ship leaves port everything is not perfect and people on this board report their experience based on what happened to them. Maybe being that the ship was full more people are writing reports on this cruise? Who knows but all I gave was a truthful report of what happened to us and thought I reported the good with the bad.

PS...Heather...if you get enough lemons that your always drinking lemonade add a little Rum...DW says that seems to help!!

Does anyone know why Conquest was SO late leaving yesterday? I thought maybe it was due to weather on the East Coast and flight delays, but not sure. I figured by the time she pulled out, I'd have had my suit cases unpacked, mustered the drill, had a few drinks and be ready for dinner. But once I'm in Galveston, I'm on vacation doesn't matter what happens or when.

Worst day on a cruise is better than the best day at work!

My family of five was on the Conquest from 4/8-4/15. This was our fourth cruise and I can tell you firsthand that this was the absolute worst experience as far as embarkation and disembarkation. Getting on the ship on the 8th took us over 2 hours, which was explained by the CCL staff as being due to their photo setups not being working - you know, where they take a picture of your group getting on the ship. Needless to say, after waiting for 2+ hours, the photo of our family (and probably other groups too) was less than spectacular.

The cruise itself went pretty well, although one comment I would add is that the shows were "average" to me, and the Camp Carnival kids activities seemed pretty few and far between. Other than that, we enjoyed the ship a lot - although it is very LARGE.

Getting off the ship on the 15th was another very trying affair. Mark (the cruise director) came on the PA fairly early in the morning and announced that we had been delayed getting into port for some unspecified reason. Also, disembarkation would be delayed - also for some unspecified reason. We were supposed to have our car/limo waiting to take us to Bush International at 10:00 am, so we weren't too concerned; we called the limo company early in the day and told them about the delay - they told us to call again once we were getting off and they would have the car there. Well a v-e-r-y long time passed with no decks getting called to exit the ship. We ate breakfast and returned to our rooms to wait. They finally started calling self-assist passengers (I would highly recommend this option, if you are in a hurry getting off the ship). This process continued for the next several hours - with frequent apologies for the delays "due to customs and immigrations". Finally my wife went down to the Pursers desk a little after noon and told them we had our flight from Bush just after 3 and they told us to go ahead and leave the ship. We made it down to the customs line by about 12:30 and out of the terminal by 1:00, to find our limo driver who was not very happy to have been waiting all that time.

As we drove back to the airport, he mentioned something about wanting to charge us a "wait fee" of $60 per hour for three hours. We told him we were never told anything about a waiting charge, and that we had called the office as they instructed us to do. We did not give in and pay him the wait charge, as I told him I would take it up with their office if necessary. Still don't know if they will try to charge us, or not, but if they do - I want Carnival to pick up the tab due to this unexplained delay in getting us off the ship. Still don't have a good explanation for why it took so long, and I don't know how long people ended up waiting to be called to exit - but this obviously delayed the ship leaving for the next week's cruise.

If anyone has any specific questions on the cruise or the ship, ask away - I would be happy to help.

I was one of those who posted a "negative" review...In my mind 3 out of 5 is not negative its average. As with KC fan this was not my first cruise and had it been I would have been impressed at the value for the money. But...when you cant sleep well for 7 nights because of the bed and you report it and nothing is done that plays into your attitude. I too have traveled alot and know you have to be flexible, etc.. I have been (not just on a cruise) to Mexico, Jamaica, Brazil, Canada, Bahamas,US locations, etc. and know you have to relax and enjoy. I have slept in the hot Mexican nights without A/c and the deserts of Mexico in the winter without heat but was happy.This I was expecting just as I was expecting certain "basics" from Carnival. We did relax and enjoy this time but felt that to be fair with those looking at this ship to report our experience both good and bad. I wouldn't "not recommend" this cruise but personally will not book it again without trying other options. Again I am not approaching this with a negative attitude but just reporting our experience. Maybe ??? Carnival was having a bad week on this ship???? It could be possible that everytime the ship leaves port everything is not perfect and people on this board report their experience based on what happened to them. Maybe being that the ship was full more people are writing reports on this cruise? Who knows but all I gave was a truthful report of what happened to us and thought I reported the good with the bad.

PS...Heather...if you get enough lemons that your always drinking lemonade add a little Rum...DW says that seems to help!!

You stated the bed was uncomfortable. Did your cabin have the "new" bedding? We had it last year and we found the beds to be very comfy! Don't get me wrong, if I can't sleep, I am not a happy camper! My review would have reflected it just like yours did. Did your steward not even offer you one of the egg crate things? Hope your next cruise is better!

Getting off the ship on the 15th was another very trying affair.

We were on the Rhapsody right next to you and also thought it was the worst disembark ever. We had signed up for the self assist at 7 a.m. and got delayed thru customs behind Mexicans several times.

On top of that the Galveston Causeway was closed from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. It usually is closed every Sunday morning for about an hour, for bridge dynomiting work....so dont do what we did, get there a few minutes past 8 a.m.

Getting off the Conquest Sunday morning on self disembark, plan to hit that Causeway before 8 a.m. or you might be left sitting there for hours like we were this past Sunday. They said usually takes about an hour but the dynomite threw rubble up onto the bridge and had to be cleared with back hoes for an extra hour.

Very frustrating morning last Sunday morning. Usually we can clear Galveston before 8 a.m. if we get in line at the earlier time possible to do the self assist walk off.

Just a friendly warning if anyone is going on the Conquest in the near future...plan for the Galveston Causeway to be closed. It is closed every Sunday a.m.

I had the same experience before I went on my first cruise. I read so many negative reviews before going on NCL but we had a great time. We all just need to realize some people will always complain about things and are never happy no matter what. Some see their glass half full, others half empty.

I don't understand why you all seem to want to shoot the messenger and not respect everyone's opinion. All these posts about how you all are just going to ignore anything negative anyone says is not respecting others posts....why be so defensive? It reminds me of kids putting their fingers in their ears and saying they wouldnt listen.

Sometimes there are a few negative things. That doesnt mean the poster did not have a great time...give them a break already. If they did not like to cruise they wouldnt be cruising....they just want to tell you their experience.

I don't understand why you all seem to want to shoot the messenger and not respect everyone's opinion. All these posts about how you all are just going to ignore anything negative anyone says is not respecting others posts....why be so defensive? It reminds me of kids putting their fingers in their ears and saying they wouldnt listen.

Sometimes there are a few negative things. That doesnt mean the poster did not have a great time...give them a break already. If they did not like to cruise they wouldnt be cruising....they just want to tell you their experience.

Well, when someone puts out BAD information as you just did in your previous email it makes one wonder.

The causeway is NOT closed every Sunday morning.

That's what I was told by the police who were stationed on the Causeway. We were also told this in line at Customs.

If its not true, then I apologize. It was a POST not a EMAIL.

We were told they are doing repairs on the bridge and cannot start until the sun comes up at 7 a.m. and they use the dynomite at approx 8 a.m. and usually right after its done reopen the Causeway. If the three police cars stationed on the bridge gave us bad info....I was passing it along.

The policeman said last week they were done in less than an hour..but that they have been doing this the last few weeks and will still be doing it until its done.

Oh yea....they have a sign up on the Causeway about the bridge closesure and I was told by some of the others stuck in their car they announce it on the radio. But they may be done soon, I dont know how many more Sundays it will take to finish dynomiting what they are trying to get rid of so they can fix the bridge.

Why not phrase things more politetly...?

Week 7 of 11 weeks

Causeway to close Sunday

From staff reports

The Daily News

Published April 14, 2007

GALVESTON — The Texas Department of Transportation will shut down the Galveston Causeway in both directions for at least an hour Sunday morning.

The 8 a.m. closure will allow for demolition of bridge footings that were part of the old causeway.

“We have to watch for turtles for an hour,” said department spokesman Norm Wiginton. “We are forbidden from blowing up anything until we watch the water for an hour.”

If wildlife gets in the way for too long, it could prolong the closure, he said.

After the charges explode, the department counts dead fish and provides compensation to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Wiginton said.

This is the seventh in a series of 11 planned demolitions at the causeway.

I, also, found multiple references to Galveston Causeway Sunday morning closures in 2006 when I went to look to back up my statement. So, last Sunday morning closure is not uncommon.

I said above if you are going out of Galveston in the near future you might want to be aware of this....and Snoozeman tells me I am posting false information for trying to help. sorry snoozeman....no hard feelings. But I did want to prove my statement was true when told I was incorrect. Looks like the bridge is scheduled to close on Sunday mornings for another month, so my statement if you are leaving in the near future you might want to be aware of this stands correct imo.

I just came from there on sunday, so had first hand info. I was trying to help. I still like you :) No hard feelings. I do self assist walk off and usually clear of the bridge by 8 a.m. but this past Sunday I was not. truce ok?

If you have information why not just post it? Might save someone else departing the Conquest 2 hours sitting on the bridge another Sunday morning. I wish someone had posted the information so I would have known before I was getting into my vehicle.

Apparantly it has happened 7 Sundays now anyway, consecutive or not.