Thanks for tip about Aeorplan

BettyInToronto

If I understand correctly, the miles are not physically credited to your account until after the cruise is completed. However, the effective date of crediting is back-dated to the date of booking.:confused:

For the sake of argument, suppose I had 25000 miles on my Statement in Aug and on Sep 3 I book a 13-day cruise on Celebrity:

• My Sep Aeroplan statement indicated I had 25000 miles;
  • My Oct Aeroplan statement indicated I had 25000 miles;
    • Oct 21 to Nov 3 I take the cruise earning 2600 miles;

[*]My Nov Aeroplan statement indicated I had 25000 miles;

[*]My Dec Aeroplan statement indicated I had 27600 miles;

I check my transactions record online at Aeroplan and discover that Aeroplan has Sept 3 as the date for my 2600 cruise points, not the date the cruise began (October 21) or ended (November 3)

Aeroplan doesn't issue corrected statements for Sep, Oct or Nov. to reflect the addition of the 2600 points credited back to Sep -but- according to Aeroplan's records I earned the 2600 points on Sep 3/07.

Which brings QuickCanuck's post:

"In case anyone was wondering why the points are credited back to the date the booking was made, with Aeroplan's recent new rules on points expiring it is in Air Canada's favour to have the points put in your account on the earlier date..."

into play here. Based on my above scenario, if I don't earn any more miles, my Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June, July and Aug statements in 2008 will still indicate I have 27600 miles. My Sep 2008 statement, though, will indicate that I have no miles (because of my year of inactivity from Sep 3/07).

I may have been expecting to have until October 21/08, November 3/08 or even December 2008 to add to the 27600 miles I had after I had completed the Nov 2006 cruise - but (because the miles are backdated to the day of booking not the sailing or disembarkation date) instead of adding another two weeks worth of miles sometime in Fall/December 2008, I have actually gone back to zero miles effective Sep 3/08.

Do I have all this interpreted correctly?:confused:

This is what Aeroplan has in its "General Terms and Conditions" now: Effective July 1, 2007:

18. All mileage in an account expires if the Aeroplan member has not accumulated or redeemed Aeroplan Miles for a period of 12 consecutive months. Mileage may expire without further notice.

One way to avoid losing the Miles is to buy gas at least once in a while at an Esso station and provide your Aeroplan number, or at other merchants, such as Future Shop. This will keep your account active, I believe...

Gerry

Since we have our home telephone and internet service through Bell Canada (two services are required) we get Aeroplan points every month. Sometimes it actually pays to read all the JUNK we receive!

Sometimes it actually pays to read all the JUNK we receive!

And on that note, from the Aeroplan newsletter today:

Earn 3,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles on any Royal Caribbean International & Celebrity Cruises booked between February 5 and March 17, 2007. That's in addition to the 200 Aeroplan Miles per person, per night you already earn†! To reserve, call or ask your travel agent to call Celebrity Cruises at 1-877-202-2250 or Royal Caribbean International at 1-888-437-1889.

Thanks quickcanuck! Do you have a link to this newsletter? I cannot find it on the site. Does the TA have to specifically mention this offer? I just emailed about the 200 travel points, sometimes its easier if we do it ourselves! I did not know about the 3000 miles...

And on that note, from the Aeroplan newsletter today:

Earn 3,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles on any Royal Caribbean International & Celebrity Cruises booked between February 5 and March 17, 2007. That's in addition to the 200 Aeroplan Miles per person, per night you already earn†! To reserve, call or ask your travel agent to call Celebrity Cruises at 1-877-202-2250 or Royal Caribbean International at 1-888-437-1889.

Thanks quickcanuck! Do you have a link to this newsletter? I cannot find it on the site.

I don't see it on their website yet either, this was an email promotion. The only other fine print I could find is:

Guest must book based on double occupancy and a minimum of three-night stay. Maximum of two Aeroplan Members sharing the same stateroom. All Aeroplan Miles will be credited after the sailings have taken place. Bookings must be made between February 5 and March 17, 2007 to take advantage of this promotion. All Bonus Aeroplan Miles will apply to new bookings only.

I spoke with a Celebrity Res. agent yesterday to add our Aeroplan numbers to our reservation. The agent couldn't believe my request, he said he had't done an Aeroplan request for a month and now has had 4 in the last day or so. LOL...The power of Cruise Critic...

I spoke with a Celebrity Res. agent yesterday to add our Aeroplan numbers to our reservation. The agent couldn't believe my request, he said he had't done an Aeroplan request for a month and now has had 4 in the last day or so. LOL...The power of Cruise Critic...

Hey Tompeter, do you think its better if I directly call Celebrity instead of depending on the TA to do it? I mean he has my Aeroplan number down but I'm worried he's not going to call Celebrity to get the points, especially since now its not only 200 points per night but also a bonus 3000 points! Did you ask the Celebrity agent about this? Thanks!

I called my TA to ask her to add my number to my upcoming flight on Millennium. I did this after speaking to the Aeroplan office in the UK. I had a call from her today to say that Celebrity here have told her that this is only for US passengers. They have given her a US telephone no for me to call but as this is Saturday then I am unable to contact them.

I will call the UK Aeroplan office also on Monday as I don't think the X information is correct. I think it is rather that they just don't know and possibly never been asked for it previously.

I have found in an number of occasions this to be the fact.

Sue

Aeroplan has many partner airlines that you may use when claiming an aeroplan reward but I belive that you must actually be a member of the aeroplan program in order to collect these "bonus" aeroplan miles from Celebrity.

My TA called her Celebrity contact today and there was no problem. They knew about the promotion even though neither TA or I had seen any mention of it on aeroplan site.

Thanks so much for the tip! Just another extra bonus for enjoying X.

Hi Sexy Azn Boy, You can try calling Celebrity, but they may tell you since you booked thru a T/A you need to work thru them. I didn't ask about additional promotion as I booked a couple months ago.

Good Luck.

Thanks Tom Peter, I would have thought that the TA would know about these promotions. I sent him an email to contact Celebrity but it looks like I'll have to call them myself because I really don't trust him to follow through (never make an assumption). I haven't gotten my final documents yet, I'll do it when I get confirmation. I'll let you know how it goes on this end. Quite a few points at stake! Thank goodness for the board.

The bonus 3000 airmiles is for NEW bookings from Feb 5th - Mar 17th. Has anyone who booked prior tried to get the bonus? My booking was on Feb 2nd (1 business day before the start date). Do you think that they will have a heart?

What about cancelling and rebooking?

How can I find out about the stock ownership in RCL to get the $250 shipboard credit?

We are sailing on the Millennium next week. We are already booked and paid for.

If I buy the stock this week, is it possible to get this credit? If so, how?

Thanks,

Barry

How can I find out about the stock ownership in RCL to get the $250 shipboard credit?

We are sailing on the Millennium next week. We are already booked and paid for.

If I buy the stock this week, is it possible to get this credit? If so, how?

Thanks,

Barry

Hi Barry:

I asked about this on the board, and am in a similar situation although my cruise is not until the end of March. I got a response from several members indicating that if you can get a statement of ownership and fax the information to Celebrity, hopefully they will approve your shipboard credit in time. Its a great deal, and worth a shot (if they don't give it to you, you can always sell back the stock, don't think the price fluctuates that much). Let us know whether you get it...I'm going to try as well.

Is Celebrity affiliated with any other airline? I had 94,000 miles in my account when Air Canada took over Canadian Airlines. Since there was no activity in my account with Air Canada for a couple of years, after they took over, they just took my 94,000 miles and never told me. I could get credit for my recent cruise on Century but since I refuse to fly with them because of this, I don't think I would ever accumulate enough meaningful points by cruising. It would be great if there were another airline I could get credits with. Anyone know of one?

Archived