Liquior Transportation question

ted1717

Ok we decide the we just can't pass up the bargain of $9.50 for a liter of Absolute and we buy 4 liters, either on the ship or an island or wherever. They confiscate it as we carry it on board and return it to us on the last night of the cruise. How do we get it home? Liquids are no longer allowed as carry on items on airplanes! What are we supposed to do stuff it in our suitcases and hope that the TSA does not remove it or worse the baggage handlers do not break it in our luggage? This was never a problem before we simply carried it home as carry on. I am wondering if this Caribbean "goodie" is a thing of the past.

I learned the hard way, by wrapping it up in my checked luggage with my clothes. I thought I was so smart. WRONG. The bottle broke, thanks to the baggage handlers at American Airlines. Needless to say, I had quite the mess and will never do it again. It's not worth the savings to

come home to such a mess.

Good luck!

Just make sure those 4 litres don't put your baggage over the weight limit! It would suck to have to pay an extra $25.00 for your "cheap" liquor!

(I've never bought anything on the islands, since neither one of us wanted to be the one lugging it through the airport (pre-TSA restrictions). The savings aren't worth the hassle!)

The cruiseline will have it in your room in plenty of time for you to pack it in your bags. DON'T TRUST THE VENDORS WHO SAY THAT THE BOX THAT THE LIQUOR IS PACKED IN IS SAFE TO CHECK IN! We saw several "leaky" boxes at baggage claim! We packed ours in it's orignal box wrapped around plenty of cushy clothing and making sure it was nestled in a bed of clothing in the suitcase. All of our 7 bottles came home safely!

Also, just FYI: When I flew out of SJU airport, TSA allowed you to carry liquor on the plane if it was purchased at the airport duty free shop since it was already pass the security point. Their prices seemed really reasonable as well.

The cruiseline will have it in your room in plenty of time for you to pack it in your bags. DON'T TRUST THE VENDORS WHO SAY THAT THE BOX THAT THE LIQUOR IS PACKED IN IS SAFE TO CHECK IN! We saw several "leaky" boxes at baggage claim! We packed ours in it's orignal box wrapped around plenty of cushy clothing and making sure it was nestled in a bed of clothing in the suitcase. All of our 7 bottles came home safely!

Also, just FYI: When I flew out of SJU airport, TSA allowed you to carry liquor on the plane if it was purchased at the airport duty free shop since it was already pass the security point. Their prices seemed really reasonable as well.

The liquor you buy SHOULD come to you on your last night before you pack your bags in boxes. The box we had from liquor purchases on board (2 bottles) was taped shut and marked with our name. We had also purchased some rum in Grand Cayman - this came to us boxed, and we opened the box and stuffed it full of socks to help the bottles be a bit more cushioned - also 2 bottles. We wrapped both boxes in BIG plastic bags and then packed it in our big suitcase that we would be checking. A couple layers of clothes on the bottom of the suitcase, the boxes of liquor, then rolled up clothes to cushion the boxes from one another and the edges of the suitcase, then another couple layers of clothes. We only had one suitcase and 2 carry ons, so we walked our luggage off ship. We checked the bag at the airport, got some fragile stickers from the counter and stuck them all over the bag. All of our liquor made it home perfectly fine.

I've also seen lots of suggestions for bubble wrap and plastic bags. With the way that things came boxed to us, we wouldn't have needed bubble wrap, but if we had received just the bottles, we definitely would have needed the bubble wrap.

Good luck!

We have just left the liquor in the boxes that we got in St Thomas or St Maarten. They were put on the plane in those boxes and I guess we were lucky and haven't ever had a problem. We have done this for years.

I have heard that some of the liquor stores have boxes that are styrofoam where the bottles of liquor fit right in and are cushioned. We haven't had those, just the regular boxes from stores. I think the airlines have been more cautious with those because they know they contain liquor.

Katie

Thanks all for the input. It seems that the duty free liquior stop at AH Riise is a thing of the past until the AH Riise's can come up with a package that makes the risk worthwhile. I will just buy at the San Juan Airport.

Now I have No Reason to go shopping. Will just have to be there to carry what DW purchases. LOL I don't mind her shopping if she doesn't mind cruising.

I just got back and did bring 2 bottles home with me. Both were in my checked baggage and made it through fine. I just made sure to wrap and pack them in clothing. I also have hard shelled luggage which also helps. For me the alcohol is half price or less (coming from WA) so the prices there were amazing.

As far as the customs thing I remember the checkout procedure on the channel said you can bring back up to 5 bottles, if 3 were purchased in St Thomas and 1 was a product of St Thomas. How they would know if you purchased them there I have no clue.

St. Maarten had the best liquor prices. That was my shopping mission for the day. The further away from the cruise ships the better the price. There were a couple stores past the McDonalds that had the best prices. There was a place in St Thomas - AL Cohens I think it is called, across from all the shopping building at the pier that was close in price to St Maarten.

The ship has a price match gurantee for the stuff they sell. If you find it cheaper just take a picture the guy told me and they will gladly refund the difference. They have a night where they bring a bunch of stuff out on the Royal Promenade. The Johnnie Walker Blue was $99.99 that night only and went back to $130 the rest of the cruise. You could buy it for under $100 on St Maarten. The ship had Crown for $16 for 750ml. Places downtown in St Maarten had it for as low as $9. Those are just a few examples. The same Crown in WA state is like $28.

Liquor was taken from 2 of our friend's TSA locked and check suitcases at SJU last month. They discovered the missing liquor when they arrived home.

Plan on buying at the airport and carrying home. Ask at the airport if this will be allowed.

oceanqueen, do you know exactly what was taken? Some types (high proof level) are not allowed on airplanes.

Archived