Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

An article in the News section of CC says:

In a statement, Norwegian, previously known as NCL, said Jewel will be stationed in Houston seasonally for three years, totaling 75 calls, with an option for a two-year extension. Details on the itineraries have not been revealed.

What's up wit' dat? Why did they rebrand as Norwegian and drop the NCL? Is this a corporate move or an ad agency move?

Anybody know anything about this?

Ruby

An article in the News section of CC says:

In a statement, Norwegian, previously known as NCL, said Jewel will be stationed in Houston seasonally for three years, totaling 75 calls, with an option for a two-year extension. Details on the itineraries have not been revealed.

What's up wit' dat? Why did they rebrand as Norwegian and drop the NCL? Is this a corporate move or an ad agency move?

Anybody know anything about this?

Ruby

That's the first I have heard of the rebranding.

To our American friends, a happy Thanksgiving to you. I have a vague memory that Canada also celebrates the holiday but I don't remember when it occurs.

Donald - did you have a turkey meal in your part of the world? Also, I hear that the Pacific Northwest is/was getting slammed with harsh winter weather. Is your part of the world in good order?

Conte - I keep thinking about your photo of the clubhouse and your comment that water was coming over the window sills. How are you doing? Did you have much clean-up to do at your home?

To All - be safe, be healthy, and enjoy the blessings that we enjoy. As I have often said, when I come home from a trip, I am so impressed that a flick of a switch turns on the power and turning a faucet handle delivers potable water. We are so lucky to be able to make such elemental assumptions of The Good Life.

Ruby

To our American friends, a happy Thanksgiving to you. I have a vague memory that Canada also celebrates the holiday but I don't remember when it occurs.

Donald - did you have a turkey meal in your part of the world? Also, I hear that the Pacific Northwest is/was getting slammed with harsh winter weather. Is your part of the world in good order?

Ruby, Canadians celebrated Thanksgiving on Monday October 8. Yes, we've copied some of the American customs such as turkey dinners, pumpkin pies and cornucopia.

For three days this week Vancouver had unusually high tides which covered parts of the seawall walk. In the first photograph, taken two days ago, the dog, Frankie, looked puzzled at the obstacle to our regular route.

z201211201Frankie.jpg

The second photograph shows part of the seawall railing in water. On the railing is a story in one of the First Nations language (our friends south of the border know them as American Indians), and below it, half concealed by water, is the English translation.

z201211202Frankie.jpg

Donald.

Looks like most of the south of England. Non-stop torrential rain for over three or four days has left flooding in huges swathes of the countryside. I had organised a lunch for some cruising firends today but out of 22 only 9 made it. If Darwin was right, we should all grow webbed feet soon!

Conte - I keep thinking about your photo of the clubhouse and your comment that water was coming over the window sills. How are you doing? Did you have much clean-up to do at your home?

Ruby

We were very lucky. Our home did not sustain any damage but the water did get close to, but not in, some of the homes in our community. Towns to the west of us were devastated and may never recover. There is a psychological toll as well as a physical one. We have lived in a part of the country that, aside from an occasional blizzard, has not been particularly singled out by natural disasters. Now that appears to be changing and gives everyone cause for concern. What will the future hold? The barrier beach which separates us from the ferocity of the Atlantic, has had significant damage to the dunes and some breaches as well. The Army Corp of Engineers is already beginning to make repairs, but will their efforts succeed?

Here is a picture of our community's clubhouse in the midst of rising water. This picture was taken before the major flooding which filled the building with two feet of water.

997435120_2012-10-29_10-05-18_23(1).jpg.f6a991adfc2e111e6d2a6842d0d77dd2.jpg

Conte, I am glad to know that your community experienced only a small part of the wrath of the superstorm.

Barrier beaches with their dunes are, by nature, non-permanent. It amazes me that people continue to build beach houses or entire communities on such areas along the east coast. I imagine that it would be impossible to get insurance on these structures.

Donald.

There is a psychological toll as well as a physical one. We have lived in a part of the country that, aside from an occasional blizzard, has not been particularly singled out by natural disasters. Now that appears to be changing and gives everyone cause for concern. What will the future hold? The barrier beach which separates us from the ferocity of the Atlantic, has had significant damage to the dunes and some breaches as well. The Army Corp of Engineers is already beginning to make repairs, but will their efforts succeed?

For decades, I have had ??? about the effectiveness of the Army Corp of Engineers. Do we get value for dollar paid? Here in Texas, the federal gov't and taxpayers have paid and paid and paid and paid to restore beach homes built in a provably threatened area. And your point about the mental stress is well-taken. I cannot imagine standing in your home street and not seeing your home and possessions. "Devastating" comes close to describing the emotional impact on families.

Conte, I am glad to know that your community experienced only a small part of the wrath of the superstorm. Barrier beaches with their dunes are, by nature, non-permanent. It amazes me that people continue to build beach houses or entire communities on such areas along the east coast. I imagine that it would be impossible to get insurance on these structures. Donald.

Back in the day, our Governor Bill Clements refused to supply taxpayer dollars for homes in a badly-damaged flood plain. Outrage all around. But I believe he was right that houses should not be built over and over in a flood plain. It is my understanding that, in Texas, the insurance cos. sell flood insurance but not water-damage policies. One has to be careful to buy the proper policy.

Ruby

Half of Somerset is still under water here too. The problem here is that some homes are uninsurable, which makes them un-saleable! Insurance companies are still in talks with the government to get them to underwrite the risks. Whilst some villages were issued with floodgates for doorways etc, the ground water rose so the homes still flooded from underneath! A nightmare for everyone affected, yet still they build on flood plains.

Edited by Host Sharon

Half of Somerset is still under water here too.

Here in North Texas, no water of any kind - severe drought. This morning at 8:00am, the temp is 67* on its way into the upper 80s. To have this dry, hot weather in December is most discouraging. We wake up and say, "Ugh!" and don't even think about wearing winter clothes.

I went to the North Pole in the 90s when I saw the snow melt on Mount Fuji and Kilimanjaro in Africa. I thought global warming was a new buzz word, not reality. I was wrong.

Many of you are facing active, ferocious weather extremes. We Texans are challenged with municipal water reservoirs at low levels. But, no matter how you spell it, the world's weather seems to be changing. I am "of an age" and wonder what my family members will be facing in the future.

If I understand the posts on this thread, severe weather stalks us all. Do you find that your weather in the past few years has been changing?

Marion - is the Gold Coast weather normal? I've lost track of your latest travels. Where are you and Waldo in this vast wide world?

Ruby

But, no matter how you spell it, the world's weather seems to be changing. I am "of an age" and wonder what my family members will be facing in the future.

If I understand the posts on this thread, severe weather stalks us all. Do you find that your weather in the past few years has been changing?

Weather has definitely changed. Last week our newspaper quoted scientists about glacier melt in Greenland and Antarctica, which since 1990 has added 11 cm (4.5 inches) to the sea level around the world. This would put low-lying cities such as Vancouver and New York City at risk for storm surges, which we know already happened there recently.

When I moved to Vancouver in 1969, we had lots of fog and plenty of snow. Now we seldom get fog, and hardly any snow. If snow did come, it would melt on the ground before it had chance to accumulate. So far, this winter has been remarkably mild, though quite rainy.

When I lived in Montreal, every winter my father and I had to shovel snow from our driveway. Often the sides of the driveway would have snow piled high at a height above my head. Twenty years later, my parents reported that they were having "green Christmases" in Montreal, which was quite startling to me.

Donald.

I hope everyone is surviving their weather extremes. I am just praying any snow holds off until the Christmas holiday itself when everyone should be where they want to be.

I'm off next week on Oriana until Twelfth Night. We probably won't make Israel, but at any rate I will be on a ship and waited on hand and foot :) so I'm not too bothered.

I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

Marion - is the Gold Coast weather normal? I've lost track of your latest travels. Where are you and Waldo in this vast wide world?

Ruby

Ruby - Currently in Sydney with my elder daughter, following a wonderful 20 day cruise from Singapore to Sydney on Ocean Princess, with sunny, hot weather and mild seas. Loved everything about the cruise, the ship, the itinerary, the food, the staff and their high service levels, and fellow passengers.

Sydney has been experiencing milder summer weather than normal, but Melbourne will be 40c today.

Bon Voyage, Sharon.

Wishing everyone all the joys of Christmas, good health and every happiness in 2013.

I'm off next week on Oriana until Twelfth Night. We probably won't make Israel, but at any rate I will be on a ship and waited on hand and foot :) so I'm not too bothered. I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

I hope your Oriana cruise is the best yet for you. I must say that I'm interested in this ship since seeing your pix and comments. All the best, Sharon for a loverly holiday season.

Wishing everyone all the joys of Christmas, good health and every happiness in 2013.

Ditto from me. Happiness, health, and a safe season for all our friends.

Ruby

All of you will recall the recent picture which I took of the dog at the False Creek seawall walk that was inundated by an unusually high tide. Well, most of the metropolitan Vancouver area is low-lying, and this morning's newspaper had the major headline: "Price tag for rising seas could hit $9.5 billion."

The plans would include "a $25-million sea gate would allow the movement of water and boats through during normal water levels but would be closed during storm conditions to limit sea levels and reduce the height of shoreline defences needed around the perimeter of False Creek."

Planning for global warming and increased sea levels is pro-active!

Donald.

. . . the major headline: "Price tag for rising seas could hit $9.5 billion." The plans would include "a $25-million sea gate would allow the movement of water and boats through during normal water levels but would be closed during storm conditions to limit sea levels and reduce the height of shoreline defences needed around the perimeter of False Creek." Planning for global warming and increased sea levels is pro-active! Donald.

Seems a bit pricey. And I wonder if reality will match hopefulness? We shall see.

This is one date we write the same way. Hope it is special!

12-12-12 was a special date in Dallas for weddings and births. Popular wedding chapels had been booked for years. The day before this date, a chain of wedding chapels closed down without notice and - wait for it!- disappeared without refunding deposits. Lots o' headlines about matrimonial businesses absconding with deposits, lots of news video with outraged or distraught brides.

We mourn the loss of the children in CT. It was like a punch in the gut for me as the mother of two. Especially in this Christmas season. I keep wondering why the assassin's mother had such a large inventory of assault and hand weapons at her home.

And one has to remember that Andy Murray, the tennis star, survived the school assault in Dunblaine Scotland so many years ago which was the same scenario. We talk about the horrors of war - what about the horrors of kindergarten?

There is a regrettable direct attack on a poster on the Silversea forum based on her comments about gun ownership. Very sad.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

• 2 weeks later...

I hope each and every one of our readers and members has a wonderful holiday season. For me, 2012 has been an unfavourite year and I am eager to move on to the clean slate of 2013.

My daughter is at home with me for the holiday week. What a pleasure it is to have her around. Especially on Sunday when the main water line plugged up at my house and we spent the entire day cleaning up. Uggghhh! Would you believe that plumbers are a bit expensive on a Sunday? Wa-hahahaha!

I'm a bit thrown off by Viking China being moved to another forum. I've spent years watching them persist in maintaining the top position on Other Cruise Lines. And now, here we are. It's been a great time visiting and learning with all of you.

All the best,

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby
Title - Year should be 2012!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year and smooth sailing, everyone.

What cruises are you planning for 2013?

I hope to be able to find a couple of small ship cruises, which excite me. In 2012, I did my first circle cruise, eg Dover to Dover, as my previous cruises had all been one way.

A Happy and hopefully healthy New Year to all.

We have nothing planned so far for 2013. 2012 was the first year in DECADES

that we did not do at least one trip on a ship. The industry has changed so much for us "old timers" that we thought we needed some time off to consider what has been going on in the industry. I have to say, I'm not encouraged by the offerings. I guess I've become very jaded. Sad.

I agree with Conte, cruising simply isn't the same nowadays. This year I am booked on only two cruises, a 15-day Hawaiian voyage from San Diego in March, and a one-week cruise to Alaska in August with a friend. Both will be on Celebrity Century.

Donald.

I agree with Conte, cruising simply isn't the same nowadays. This year I am booked on only two cruises, a 15-day Hawaiian voyage from San Diego in March, and a one-week cruise to Alaska in August with a friend. Both will be on Celebrity Century.

Donald.

Sounds good to me, Donald. I would love to cruise on Celebrity Century again, if they brought her back down under.

Sad to hear that the standard has dropped so much on many cruise lines, that they are no longer attractive to loyal cruisers, like yourself, Conte.

I'm lucky, in a way, as I didn't experience cruising in the good old days, which is probably why I still look at cruising as a way to get from "A" to "B".

However, I do like the small ships!

The industry has changed so much for us "old timers" that we thought we needed some time off to consider what has been going on in the industry. I have to say, I'm not encouraged by the offerings. I guess I've become very jaded. Sad.

I have been musing about the changes in the world of cruising. For those of you who have been reading this thread from the beginning, you may remember how often I remarked about "civility" being so appreciated on this thread and the lack thereof on other threads. As to shorter cruises, once upon a time I took a cruise on Royal Viking for one week, my first and last cruise at the length of 7 days. It was not my crowd and the ship never settled down as we went port-to-port every day.

On the megaships, you better have a friend or companion along with you. It is unlikely that one would find someone to hang out with in such a large ship for such a short period of time. And yet, must we pay high tariffs to find "our" crowd? Sadly, I think so. I used to mock those pax on the Queens who managed to work into the conversation which MDR they used, therefore indicating their financial status which I do not, in any way, equal with true civility. Again, I am indebted to Conte who introduced me to Silversea, my new Royal Viking Line, a pricey product but well worth it. I cruise less often due to the expense but, when I'm onboard, it is worth every penny.

Sad to hear that the standard has dropped so much on many cruise lines, that they are no longer attractive to loyal cruisers, like yourself, Conte.

Marion - I am a bit horrified to hear of the devastating wildfires wreaking havoc in Oz. Originally I heard about the fires so intense in Tasmania that homeowners were taking refuge in the sea. Now I hear that the fires are active on the mainland. I sincerely hope that you are not threatened by this terrible heat and the potential of fires. I heard on BBC that arsonist are taking advantage of the situation - may they rot in h***. All the best to you and Barry to be untouched by this ghastly situation.

Ruby

On the megaships, you better have a friend or companion along with you. It is unlikely that one would find someone to hang out with in such a large ship for such a short period of time. And yet, must we pay high tariffs to find "our" crowd? Sadly, I think so. I used to mock those pax on the Queens who managed to work into the conversation which MDR they used, therefore indicating their financial status which I do not, in any way, equal with true civility. Again, I am indebted to Conte who introduced me to Silversea, my new Royal Viking Line, a pricey product but well worth it. I cruise less often due to the expense but, when I'm onboard, it is worth every penny.

Marion - I am a bit horrified to hear of the devastating wildfires wreaking havoc in Oz. Originally I heard about the fires so intense in Tasmania that homeowners were taking refuge in the sea. Now I hear that the fires are active on the mainland.

Ruby

Bushfires

So sad about the devastating bushfires in Tasmania. Fortunately, there hasn't been any loss of life, but huge loss of property.

Now there are bushfires out of control in New South Wales and Victoria, as well.

The extreme heat and wind have compounded the problem for the volunteer rural firefighters trying to manage the fires.

Many holidaymakers have been caught away from home, as this is our long summer school vacation period.

This past Monday marked the highest national average maximum temperature ever recorded in Australia, 40.33c, making it the sixth consecutive day to break the nation’s 20 hottest days.

Cruising

I took me a while to find the correct fit for me for cruising. I've discovered that I love the small ships, where the mix of interesting itineraries, happy crew and friendly well travelled passengers make cruising so special.

I think you would have enjoyed our cruise from Singapore to Sydney on Ocean Princess, Ruby and Conte. Many passengers had cruised from Rome and some cruised on to Tahiti.

When is your next cruise from South Africa with Silversea, Ruby?

I hope everyone is surviving their weather extremes. I am just praying any snow holds off until the Christmas holiday itself when everyone should be where they want to be.

I'm off next week on Oriana until Twelfth Night. We probably won't make Israel, but at any rate I will be on a ship and waited on hand and foot :) so I'm not too bothered.

Sharon - Are you back from Oriana? We would enjoy hearing about your holiday cruise and whether you debarked in Israel. Ever since you talked about this ship and showed photos, it has been an interest for me. If you are home from your holiday cruise, do tell us the details.

A Happy and hopefully healthy New Year to all. We have nothing planned so far for 2013. 2012 was the first year in DECADES that we did not do at least one trip on a ship. The industry has changed so much for us "old timers" that we thought we needed some time off to consider what has been going on in the industry. I have to say, I'm not encouraged by the offerings. I guess I've become very jaded. Sad.

Conte - I have been musing about the changes in the world of cruising. For those of you who have been reading this thread from the beginning, you may remember how often I remarked about "civility" being so appreciated on this thread and the lack thereof on other threads. As to shorter cruises, once upon a time I took a cruise on Royal Viking for one week, my first and last cruise at the length of 7 days. It was not my crowd and the ship never settled down as we went port-to-port every day.

On the megaships, you better have a friend or companion along with you. It is unlikely that one would find someone to hang out with in such a large ship for such a short period of time. And yet, must we pay high tariffs to find "our" crowd? Sadly, I think so. I used to mock those pax on the Queens who managed to work into the conversation which MDR they used, therefore indicating their financial status which I do not, in any way, equal with true civility. Again, I am indebted to Conte who introduced me to Silversea, my new version of the late lamented Royal Viking Line. Silversea is a pricey product but well worth it. I cruise less often due to the expense but, when I'm onboard, it is worth every penny.

Marion - As far as Africa is concerned, I will be on that cruise from 05 April to 01 May and will be spending a few days in Cape Town before sailaway. Can't wait to get out of town and change the scenery altho' the 15.5 hour flight out of Atlanta will be tedious. What have you been looking at for this year's touring?

P.S. I have posted this note three times and gotten thrown off the website twice. Fortunately, I save my notes in Word so no harm but quite tedious nonetheless. Has anyone else has troubles posting?

Ruby