Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I love this thread, Saga Ruby, so thanks to you.

It is such an interesting thread, with cruisers returning from wonderful cruises, or planning exotic cruises. Not to mention all the words of wisdom! As you said it is an education!

From memory, coming up are Donald with his cruise to Hawaii on my favourite Celebrity Century; you on your grand adventure on Silversea from South Africa and Host Sharon trying out Royal Princess and cruising on Oceania's Nautica. And I'm sure there are others I can't recall.

It is indeed a tour de force of a thread and I have to thank Ruby for inviting me to join way back when it was already a saga of cruising tales.

Marion - you have missed out my week on Discovery - Island Princess as was in April. That should be very interesting as increasingly ships of that era are disappearing fast.

Conte - did you survive this ferocious snowstorm? Can you see out of your window? Did you stock MREs to get thru the challenge and do you have power? Seems like Mother Earth is determined to show that she's the Boss in this decade.

Saga Ruby

It used to be that we were not often singled out by nature in this part of the country, but no longer. As if Superstorm Sandy weren't enough, we were walloped by another hit last week, this time in the form of wind with snow, and lots of it. We were lucky, finding ourselves under about 18 inches but adjacent areas less than 10 miles away had as much as 30! We're shoveled out now but downhill slaloms could be held on the mounds in parking lots. They'll be around until the spring.

I sure would like to see some warm sunny weather. I'm envious of you folks who have all those nice trips planned. I've been looking at what's available but we have some time constraints right now and I'm not keen on flying long distances. We shall see. Donald, I hope this year's cruise to Hawaii will greatly surpass you're last cruise out there. Keep your hands in your pockets and don't touch anything!

In commemoration of the 250,000 views, I'm returning to a reminiscence. Back in the early 60's when I was a mere lad, I sent for a sailing schedule for the Cunard Queens. Along with the requested brochures, Cunard's New York office sent me a wonderful soft bond booklet devoted to Queen Mary. To this day I consider it one of my prized pieces of ocean liner memorabilia. I recently revisited it during one of our very gloomy afternoons and managed to gently position it on my scanner to copy a few of the more interesting pictures. I particularly love this one taken of a typical dinner in the First Class dining room. It probably dates from the late 1950's. The more I studied it, the more I realized that much of what it was trying to illustrate doesn't exist anymore or is rarely seen, not on sea or on land. As I was typing this post, I had the intention of mentioning some of these, but it might be more fun to open this up to anyone who wants to jump in here. It's almost like a "Where's Waldo?" puzzle. What do you see here? They aren't just material things. Any ideas?

diningroom_zps1ab00c25.jpg

Conte, the only word that popped in my mind when I saw that picture is ... ELEGANCE. In these days transatlantic passengers knew how to dress appropriately, usually had impeccable table manners and had knowledge of which utensil to use during each course of dinner.

Donald.

Conte - a lost world perhaps? I love the printed card menu the gent on the right is holding by the way and meat certainly wouldn't be carved on the table any more. But, on the other hand - is this so different from todays QM2 below?? Certainly in respect of the passengers but not so much the ship.

030%2520Britannia%2520Restaurant.JPG

Edited by Host Sharon

. . and I'm not keen on flying long distances. Any ideas?

I also am weary of long flights. I keep hoping for the Transporter Room. I want to cruise from Montreal to Savannah or Charleston on a fall-foliage cruise but it'll take me awhile to recover from the 15.3-hr flight to Jo'burg. As you say, I'm running out of places but am particularly tired of int'l flights to get somewhere. I'm sure Marion identifies with these long flights but, what I admire about the Aussies is that they are the Energizer Bunnies who keep on traveling, even tho' from that far southern continent. I admire the Aussies dedication to Seeing The World from such a distant starting point.

What I see in the brochure of the MDR is civility. And the fresh flowers on the table are noticeable. What is that vertical silver cylinder next to the carving board? Digression - do any of you have crepes from the Head Waiter or the Maitre d'? For decades I have been force-fed these sugary, buttery crepes when I don't really want them. Once upon a time, the Head Waiter made them at our table and, when I tried to beg off, his face fell. So I ate crepes. How does one escape them?

Donald - do you know if Holland American still has the "flag-waving" of napkins in their MDR's? They didn't do that on Prinsendam.

It is indeed a tour de force of a thread and I have to thank Ruby for inviting me to join way back when it was already a saga of cruising tales.

You are most welcome and we've enjoyed having you. This thread is the first thing I read each morning, right after checking on the weather. It is heart-warming to have such a fine circle of friends to talk to and swap info and facts regarding cruises.

It interests me that Carnival keeps ruining their pax for cruises. They own Costa and Concordia is still on the ledge offshore from Giglio. And now the nightmare of Triumph which was not. [heavy sigh]

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

I also am weary of long flights. I keep hoping for the Transporter Room. I want to cruise from Montreal to Savannah or Charleston on a fall-foliage cruise but it'll take me awhile to recover from the 15.3-hr flight to Jo'burg. As you say, I'm running out of places but am particularly tired of int'l flights to get somewhere. I'm sure Marion identifies with these long flights but, what I admire about the Aussies is that they are the Energizer Bunnies who keep on traveling, even tho' from that far southern continent. I admire the Aussies dedication to Seeing The World from such a distant starting point.

[/i].

It interests me that Carnival keeps ruining their pax for cruises. They own Costa and Concordia is still on the ledge offshore from Giglio. And now the nightmare of Triumph which was not. [heavy sigh]

Ruby

I think long distance travel is in our genes, Ruby. After all, I used to travel on a British passport and our history was all Britain, the "mother country".

Of course, the first time I visited the UK, it was by ship. P&O Chusan was the last P&O cruise ship which called into Bombay to change its crew, as it became cheaper to have crews fly to ships after that.

We turned the long distance overseas flights in to part of the holiday by stopping off en route at the South Pacific islands, via the Pacific (Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji, Cook Islands and NZ) and Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok, via Asia. And all stopovers were free!

On my last discount economy flight to Europe, via Hong Kong, with Cathay Pacific, no stopover was allowed in Hong Kong. What next!

Now security measures have made flying direct more attractive.

Re Triumph -

On the Australian thread, there was a discussion about which Carnival ship would be the next to be based in Australia (Carnival TBA on Sydney Ports schedule).

One wit said it might be the Triumph, when they fix it up! I replied that that would be the straw which broke the camel's back! :)

Marion - you have missed out my week on Discovery - Island Princess as was in April. That should be very interesting as increasingly ships of that era are disappearing fast.

How could I have missed that, Sharon. Tell us more about your week on Discovery - Island Princess - the ship and the itinerary.

I've been travelling, so have some of your photos to catch up on.

Donald, I hope this year's cruise to Hawaii will greatly surpass you're last cruise out there. Keep your hands in your pockets and don't touch anything!

Conte, the only thing that I will touch during the cruise is my pre-dinner martini! :D

Donald - do you know if Holland American still has the "flag-waving" of napkins in their MDR's? They didn't do that on Prinsendam.

Ruby, I don't know or remember, as I was last on Holland America during September 2009. Napkin-waving is still done on Celebrity. :eek:

Donald.

Thought I'd share with you the latest cruise brochure, which I received in the mail this week.

"Calm Water Cruising on the magnificent and historic St Lawrence River". Cruise run from Kingston to Quebec City and return; Kingston to Ottawa; and 1000 Islands.

"St Lawrence Cruise Lines Inc. is a family built and operated business in its 33rd year, with a reputation for service excellence."

http://www.StLawrence CruiseLines.com

33 years in this day and age, they must be doing something right!

Thought I'd share with you the latest cruise brochure, which I received in the mail this week. "Calm Water Cruising on the magnificent and historic St Lawrence River". Cruise run from Kingston to Quebec City and return; Kingston to Ottawa; and 1000 Islands.

Many years ago, my family sailed the St Lawrence Seaway to Liverpool. It was one of our first cruises and my father wanted that long stretch of protected water to reduce the possibility of heavy seas. Even though it is decades later, this cruise would a wonderful combination of land and sea.

Digression - I talked to the Admin of CCritic Boards about what seemed to be adverts from cruise lines on individual forums. She said that, if they ask permission, they are allowed to post as individuals about their cruise lines and, if approved by her, it is not a violation of CC's advertising rules on cruise forums. Which seems to be the case in these Voyage to Antiquity threads.

I think the posting member should identify themselves as reps of a cruise line. I know that tour group operators are not allowed to post unless a query is made about our opinion of a specific operator. Colour me confused.

What do y'all think about this?

Ruby

I know that tour group operators are not allowed to post unless a query is made about our opinion of a specific operator. Colour me confused.

What do y'all think about this?

Ruby

I'm also confused, because on the roll call for my Hawaiian cruise lots of people have posted queries about private tours in which they used the names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of these operators. I doubt that the cruise line would want to lose business to these private tour operators. But, hey, I'm no moderator. I personally think that anything that helps people to enjoy their experiences in the ports should be OK.

Donald.

In commemoration of the 250,000 views, I'm returning to a reminiscence. Back in the early 60's when I was a mere lad, I sent for a sailing schedule for the Cunard Queens. Along with the requested brochures, Cunard's New York office sent me a wonderful soft bond booklet devoted to Queen Mary. To this day I consider it one of my prized pieces of ocean liner memorabilia.

Today (Sunday) I was watching a segment on TV about USS United States and the continuing efforts to float her out in style from her distressed condition at this time. So I went back to Conte's Queen Mary brochure and have questions.

Does anyone think that this is a posed photo? Would the cruise line stage an ad photo shoot during a voyage?

And does anyone know what that vertical cylindrical "thing" is on the table?

I really like that brochure photo. Thanks for posting it.

Ruby

Does anyone think that this is a posed photo? Would the cruise line stage an ad photo shoot during a voyage?

It looks like a posed photo, using models. It is just too perfect, everyone is either beautiful or handsome, and all seem to be in the same age range. No one is looking at the camera.

Donald.

And does anyone know what that vertical cylindrical "thing" is on the table?

I really like that brochure photo. Thanks for posting it.

Ruby

It was very common to use models in these brochures and at least some of these beautiful people must be professionals. Other pictures in the booklet are clearly models....the same "passengers" appear smiling in other venues aboard the ship.

The cylinder on the cart is the brazier which held the fuel source which warmed the chafing dish. Table side preparation of food is a thing of the past on both land and sea. Well, it's at least pretty rare these days. Servers, previously called waiters, are now transporters of food from the kitchen to the table. The chef decides how food will be presented on the plate. The domed carts in the background would contain roasts which would be carved at table. Again, mostly a thing of the past. They used to do this on Silver Sea at lunch in the MDR, but the last time we were aboard Silver Spirit they were gone. Even the selection of cheeses is gone from many dining rooms. On Queen Victoria a chilled plate of cheeses was brought to the table. There was no asking what the guest preferred. You got what they had pre-selected. Also notice that all the servers are men, formally dressed.

In the background on the right there is a gentleman (again very good-looking) who appears to be smoking a pipe. That's a thing of the past which most of us don't miss.

Also notice the Maitre d' standing as erect as the beautiful Art Deco torchere, supervising the service. Don't see that very much anymore either.

And then there is the monumental artwork on the wall surrounded by the extraordinary wood paneling. Sharon posted the picture of the art in QM2's Britannia Restaurant which is a tribute to this original. One of the reasons I like QM2 is because of the art on board but these large pieces are unusual nowadays on land and sea.

So here is another picture from the same booklet. Our idea of gymnasium has changed quite a bit as well. Much of the old equipment was of dubious efficacy. Notice the art work on the wall, all done by hand in situ

These folks are models. Do you think the gentlemen are concerned that the lady is about to overtake them?

gym_zpsf817896e.jpg

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

I just came across this interesting virtual birds eye view of Sapphire Princess cruise to Hawaii. Have you seen it, Donald?

No, I hadn't seen it ... thanks for linking me to it. How amazing what one can do with computers nowadays! This shows Hilo on a clear day, but every time that I am there it is always raining.

I recently calculated the distance that I've traveled on 49 cruises between 1999 and 2012, and the total is 122,053 nautical miles (140,361 statute miles or 226,042 kilometres). That is equal to sailing around the equator 5.6 times! :D

Donald.

No, I hadn't seen it ... thanks for linking me to it. How amazing what one can do with computers nowadays! This shows Hilo on a clear day, but every time that I am there it is always raining.

I recently calculated the distance that I've traveled on 49 cruises between 1999 and 2012, and the total is 122,053 nautical miles (140,361 statute miles or 226,042 kilometres). That is equal to sailing around the equator 5.6 times! :D

Donald.

That is some mileage Donald.

I started keeping a log a year or so ago too and it's really interesting. - 110 ports, 109,111 nautical miles, 383 nights at sea. I guess it keeps tabs on the addiction!

What a great link Marion - although I hope the ship berths a bit better at Hilo than in the video - rain or no rain!!

Edited by Host Sharon

I started keeping a log a year or so ago too and it's really interesting. - 110 ports, 109,111 nautical miles, 383 nights at sea. I guess it keeps tabs on the addiction!

What a great link Marion - although I hope the ship berths a bit better at Hilo than in the video - rain or no rain!!

That's really interesting, Sharon! I've been at sea for 464 nights on these 49 cruises. Most of my cruises are repeats of the same itineraries around North America, so you've seen many times more ports than I have.

The berth in Hilo is the same as in the video. There's nothing except industrial areas around the berth, and shuttle buses are provided to a shopping centre some distance down the road. Those who are able to do so can do it by walking. Hilo port is one of the most uninteresting ones that I've seen.

Donald.

It's fun seeing the statistics of your travels. Who knew when we were young that we would accumulate so many land, sea, and air miles? And think of the memories you have!

I am deeply indebted to my global travels for giving me a broader view, a recognition of different cultures, the unending hospitality that has been freely offered to this solo female traveler. I am a much better person for the international travels that I have enjoyed.

Ruby

Donald.

Wow your cruising stats are really impressive, Donald and Sharon.

I have absolutely no idea of my travel mileage. However I was pleasantly surprised to go straight to Platinum on my first Princess cruise, when my first P&O cruise from London to Brisbane was counted!

I agree Ruby that international travel broadens one's horizons.

Weather delay

"We were on Aurora coming up from Sydney yesterday (Saturday), intially following Europoa which left Sydney a couple of hours before us.

During Friday night and Saturday morning, we were battling a Force 9-10 headwind (with occasional force 12 gusts when we passed through the front). We were also battling against the the East Australian Current. We were through the worst of it by mid afternoon. At lunchtime we were 3-4 hrs behind schedule, but we made about about 1/2 of that by the time we got to Brisbane.

Aurora handled the conditions much better, and we overtook Europa during the early afternoon. We were late in as well, but only about 1 1/2 late into Brisbane in the end. Our captain said Europa wasn't due in until 2pm."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1795840

Europa was due in at Portside, Brisbane at 7am.

February/March, our cyclone season, is not a good time to be cruising up the East Coast. We have had a lot of bad weather this year, with huge seas ripping out the beaches, heavy rain, high winds and flooding.

Edited by MMDown Under

So here is another picture from the same booklet. Our idea of gymnasium has changed quite a bit as well. Much of the old equipment was of dubious efficacy. Notice the art work on the wall, all done by hand in situ

These folks are models. Do you think the gentlemen are concerned that the lady is about to overtake them?

Conte, interesting picture! The numbers on the "clock" seem to be in increments of 110 ... 110, 220, 330 and 440. Might that be speed or distance in yards or metres? The guy looking back laughingly at the woman resembles Dick Van Dyke.

Have you heard the news about plans for Titanic II, with 40,000 people already registering to go on the maiden voyage? The news article is at: http://news.sky.com/story/1057414/titanic-ii-clive-palmer-unveils-replica-plans

The exterior of Titanic II will be the same as the original, with 18 modern lifeboats nestled inside the side of the hull below the superstructure. Thankfully, no apartment barge balconies ...

Donald.

Do you have one suitcase dedicated to suntan lotion, sunscreen, all that tropical jazz?

Are you looking forward to Hawaii or equally getting out of your domestic environment? Have you explained to The Dog that you'll be out of pocket for awhile?

Have a wonderful cruise to sunnier climes. Are you sailing out of Vancouver?

Ruby