Running/Jogging on Westerdam

Briny

Hi Everyone – Mrs. Briny and I will be going on our first cruise (for either of us) soon, Feb. 18 on the Westerdam to the Eastern Caribbean. We are so looking forward to it, especially the chance to enjoy a break from the routine – meeting new people, dressing up for formal nights, experiencing different cultures and landscapes. I have a feeling we will be cruise addicts in short order. :D

I’ve been lurking on this Website for a few weeks and I must say I have really learned a lot about what to expect in cruising. This is a very informative message board! One bit of information I haven’t seen is whether there is a place to run/jog on the Westerdam. I really don’t like running on a treadmill and would prefer to get my cardio exercise outside if possible, rather than in the fitness center. Looking at the deck plans, I am pretty sure there is no dedicated jogging track on this ship, but does anyone know if they allow jogging anywhere else like the promenade deck?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

We saw lots of people running/jogging on the Promenade Deck when we were on the Zuiderdam last year. I don't know if you're allowed or not, but I'd guess because there are no cabins directly below the Promenade on the Vista class ships (including the Westerdam), you should be OK to use it for that purpose.

On our Oosterdam cruise we jogged (politely) on the Promenade deck. There were no signs prohibiting it and nothing in the newsletter. There is a sort of jogging track on the top/sports deck, however because of the baffles (partitions erected to stop the wind I guess), it's not very practical because in a very short distance you have to run right & left & right & left to go around them.

They held the On Deck for the Cure on the promenade Deck, which was a run/walk. Like others, I saw now signs prohibiting running and many indicating that 3 laps are a mile. I think that sort of encourages folks to use it for running. There is no good area to run on the sports deck so I think the Promenade is your best bet.

As a runner who also prefers outdoor workout, I find that it is difficult to get in a good run on a ship. I was on ZUI, sister to WES, and as is typical, there were so many walkers and couples walking side by side, it was just not practical.

Also, I am an early morning exerciser, so the gym worked best for me.

We took several cruises while our son was distance training for high school track. He ran on port days around and thru the port-check out the maps beforehand. We checked with cruise staff re the routes and safety of the port for running. I remember many anxious moments waiting for him to return, but none of the rest of us has his speed or stamina. Ideally, we would have found a running buddy somewhere on board. Ideally, we would have had a cell phone with him. Otherwise, he pounded it out on the treadmills because the outdoor areas on the ship were too small and too crowded with joggers as opposed to runners!

We are exercise walkers and ask you please be aware of us and not bump into us walkers. When we hear you pounding behind us we will move to the side but that is the best we can do. We want to have our exercise too. If joggers and walkers are sharing Promenade Deck, both must be aware and considerate of the other. We have been bumped into so many times that I'm sure it is not always a mistake......especially since anyone has rarely said sorry after hitting me.

We need/want to exercise as well. We move along at a decent pace but cannot/do not jog.

Also....on Vista ships, when tenders are being used there is a period of time when they are being prepared for lowering/raising when portions of the deck are blocked off for safety reasons.

When we did the Walk for the Cure on Noordam, it was walking. There was no jogging.

On Noordam there were signs adjacent to the doors stating that jogging/running was not permitted on the Promenade Deck. Whilst there are no cabins below I think its not allowed in order to allow everyone to enjoy the deck. However I did spot a few joggers early in the morning when the deck was not busy - just be careful if you jog in the morning just after the sailors have been hosing the deck clean as it can be slippery.

Boy, what great advice. Thank you all for your insights. I am hopeful after reading your comments that if I pack my running shoes, they will get at least a little bit of use.

It seems to me that the key is going to be timing – to go when there aren’t a lot of walkers and the decks are dry. And, of course, being considerate of those whose pace is slower. I enjoy walking, too, and I hate it when runners feel the need to brush against me. Especially when they sneak up from behind. I have read elsewhere that some ships encourage walkers to go clockwise and runners to go counterclockwise to minimize conflicts. I’m not sure that makes perfect sense to me, but maybe it works in practice.

If all else fails, I can use the cardio equipment in the gym. Better than nothing, I guess. Don’t think I’m going to be brave enough to do my running in port.

• 2 weeks later...
On our Oosterdam cruise we jogged (politely) on the Promenade deck. There were no signs prohibiting it and nothing in the newsletter. There is a sort of jogging track on the top/sports deck, however because of the baffles (partitions erected to stop the wind I guess), it's not very practical because in a very short distance you have to run right & left & right & left to go around them.

Hello ! I too was on the O-Dam that sailing. Great trip ! We met on the front row of the theater since we both came to the conclusion to get there early and get a good seat.

Hi Briny,

My DH and I were on the Westerdam back in November and like you didn't want to run on the treadmills. We used the Promenade deck to run and didn't have any problems. I did find that some mornings the deck was pretty crowded so we tried to run early to mid afternoon when it didn't seem as bad.

I never saw any sign saying you couldn't run. I agree with sail7seas you really do need to be careful of others. When we were coming up on people as we ran I would try to warn people as we were approaching. I always tried to navigate around them being careful not to bump. Sometimes we just stopped running and walked around the congestion. It's all about consideration for others whether you are walking, running or going for a leisurely stroll.

There is nothing better than a jog at sea.............enjoy!

Jodi

Hi Briny,

My DH and I were on the Westerdam back in November and like you didn't want to run on the treadmills. We used the Promenade deck to run and didn't have any problems. I did find that some mornings the deck was pretty crowded so we tried to run early to mid afternoon when it didn't seem as bad.

I never saw any sign saying you couldn't run. I agree with sail7seas you really do need to be careful of others. When we were coming up on people as we ran I would try to warn people as we were approaching. I always tried to navigate around them being careful not to bump. Sometimes we just stopped running and walked around the congestion. It's all about consideration for others whether you are walking, running or going for a leisurely stroll.

There is nothing better than a jog at sea.............enjoy!

Jodi

Thanks, Jodi. We are so looking forward to our first cruise. Only three days to go! :D

When I was on the Oosterdam, I asked the staff and was told that jogging was not permitted on the Promenade Deck. That being said, I would encounter people jogging during the day on the Promenade Deck during our cruise.

Since I like to run, not jog, I opted for the treadmill on the first day. I have never used a treadmill at sea before and found that once I got up to speed I had to work to keep my feet under me as the ship gently rocked back and forth.

On the second day I opted to try running around the Observation Deck, with the added challenge of going up and down the stairs leading to the forward Sports Deck. I also had to make hard turns to go around the wind screens at the middle of the Observation Deck. These added to the challenge but I found it fun. The fresh breeze up there was also very nice. It was virtually empty in the morning so I didn't have to worry about running people down. However, the decks weren't completely dry from the morning scrub down.

If nothing else, running gave me an excuse to enjoy the excellent food just a bit more.

Enjoy your cruise!

I was on the Westerdam just last week and saw many people jogging around the promenade deck(they were very respectful of us walkers), but mostly in the evening, after the first dinner seating, as there were less people around at that time. I did many a lap a few nights after dinner, that deck is soooooo very useful.

Archived