Entertainment on Celebrity

lauriedun

Could someone give me some feedback on their experience with the entertainment on Celebrity cruises? (By that I am specifically talking about the shows in the theatre.) We have cruised four different lines and found that our one cruise on Celebrity proved to be the worst as far as the entertainment goes. Since everything else was absolute perfection, we would like to book another with Celebrity, and were wondering if lousy entertainment was the rule on Celebrity or if this was an exception. By "lousy" I mean one comedian whose jokes targeted the 65 and older set, opera singers who sing only in Italian, and a "Celebrity Idol" show. "Good entertainment" that I have seen on other ships include Cirque de Soliel (sp?), awesome dancers and magicians who have performed in Las Vegas, comedians who have performed in Chicago's Second City, etc. Has anyone seen entertainment like this on Celebrity?

The Celebrity singers and dancers put on some excellent musical themed shows..."Broadway", "Les Miserables", "Phantom" etc, etc. The quality can vary from ship to ship. The Celebrity Orchestra accompanies and is excellent also. Some of these have been performed since we started cruising Celebrity. Last two cruises they introduced a couple of new shows. Seems like a four year cycle.

Special guest entertainers also perform....piano, violin, guitar, hammer dolcimer etc. Some are exceptional.

Some comedians are good (but never change their routines...at least not since we have been cruising Celebrity). Some are not so good and use material I find borderline insulting or childish.

We have seen some excellent magicians.

Some ventriliquists are good. Some I did not care for.

The aerialists are very good. Cirque de Soleil is no longer on Constellation and Summit (the only ships they were on).

Lets just say entertainment is not Celebritys strong suite. I think they believe their clients only want to sit in the Martini bar. Their main show is so so and there are no late night smaller shows like comedy etc that you find on other cruises. That said I enjoy Celebrity but I certainly don't go for the on board activities. Seems funny to me as owned my RCL and they do a great job

We cruise on Celebrity about once a year, and I am truly tired of seeing the same production shows over and over for the past several years. I love everything else about my cruises with them.

Does anyone know how long they keep a production show running before finally retiring it and doing something new?

I have been on many many cruises and I generally avoid the Las Vegas type revue shows. I usually find them amateurish. We were on Infinity for Thanksgiving 2005 (2 weeks), and I decided to at least give their shows the benefit of the doubt. I was very surprised to find that the shows were fabulous. There were four shows over the two weeks and each one was better than the one before it.

We are cruising on Quest in November and I haven't heard anything about their entertainment (it's a small ship), but I hope it's like Infinity.

Sorry you did not enjoy the shows you saw. It does seem to vary from ship to ship. If I were you, I would definitely try it again.

we just returned from our first celebrity cruise (millenium 1/28-2/4) and we thought the production shows were excellent; far superior to the shows we've seen over the past few years on princess....i can't answer to the repetitiveness of the shows since this was our first experience, but we thoroughly enjoyed the shows.

nancy

I personally enjoy the Celebrity singers and dancers. The aerialists were awesome. Cirque was only ok, the real shows are much better. The comedian are hit or miss. Overall the entertainment is ok, it could use some improvement, but I still enjoy going to the shows.

Hi Aunt Debba, do you have another cruise planned?

We are leaving for the Celebrity Summit (Panama Canal 14 day cruise in two weeks.) This will be our first CC aft cabin. Always look forward to our cruises but am very excited about this one. E-mail me when you have a chance and let me know how you are doing

Nadine

We have cruised all but one mass marketed line and find Celebrity's entertainment to be about average, certainly this isn't their strong point. However, someone said the comedian geared everything to the plus 65ers, well some complain about the opposite; many lines are gearing the entertaiment to the under 50 year olds. I think there needs to be a balance. I didn't find the comedy particularly dated, just many of the jokes were things we get from our email friends daily; very stale. As for the reviews not being chaged boy I do agree but this is a problem with all lines it seems. Overall, let's put it this way; we usually try to see the show but sit in the back in case we want to leave. If something does come up and we don't make it normally we don't feel we have missed much. NMnita

• 2 weeks later...

We have sailed Celebrity many times.I can honestly tell you that we have never been disappointed with their entertainment.What I can tell you is that in Nov 2005 we sailed R/T Hawaii from San Diego ,our home port.The entertainment on that cruie rivaled Not only Las Vegas ;but Braodway.It was the best I have ever seen on Celebrity & as I sai we have had excellent entertainment. In fact by allc comparisons celebrity exceeds it's owner RCL entertainment ,Carnival's & Princess.:D

We were on the Galaxy last month and as a frequent X cruiser who normally thinks the entertainment to be quite good, this group of singers/dancers was the worst we've ever encountered (my wife has prof. theatre background and I'm prof. musician and college music prof. so we do have a basis to compare and judge). The solo entertainers they brought on board (pianist, female and male vocalists, ventroliquist and comedian)were excellent! But the young guys and gals in the production shows looked like they were lost most of the time and the vocals were very weak...great costumes though! I guess it just depends on which ship and at what time you see whom. I've had many former college student music majors work on ships and the level of some of the playing is exceptional in many of the bands and lounge groups. Luck of the draw...we did miss listening to Perry Grant on the Constellation as in past years. He made their Michaels Club a favorite spot in the evenings aboard ship. Enjoy your next cruise!

Our little inside joke is we sit in the back on the aisle so we can escape as soon as the shows turn bad-- we skip the singers & dancers altogether --just not up to par for anyone who lives near Broadway or good local dinner theatre. The best are the headliners--sometimes...just have to try them out. One exception was a trip to Canada on Constellation from NYC--all the talent was exceptional & name acts...

My hubby and I were also on the Millie 1/28-2/4/07 and we found the entertainment to be wonderful. This was our first cruise so we do not have anything to compare it to. There always seemed to be something going on somewhere on the ship. The celibrity singers and dancers were great. We also found out that one of female lead singers is from our home town and we got to meet her so that was nice. We never missed a show and we look forward to cruising again.

We personally do not care for the shows or the comedians on any cruise line and now do not attend at all.

We enjoy the music and singing and have enjoyed the bands, trios, musicians, pianists and singers on all our cruises and have found Celebrity to be similar to the others.

Celebrity lacks the nightclub but each line are different and have something specific to offer which makes them all special in their own way.

Archived