Which cruise line?

SoCalGal

We are planning a 14 night itinerary Amsterdam to Budapest in 2008. We have never been on a riverboat so would like to know which line is best overall. We're looking at Viking, Uniworld and Amadeus. It is very confusing as far as which ship to choose.

SoCalGal,

There is not much difference between these companies. My No 1 advice is check and compare the itineraries (they vary), offered shore tours and then decide. Some companies (like Amadeus) do offer free wine for dinner (which won´t be important if you don´t drink any alcohol or wine). But those amenities would be No 2 in my search for the cruise company. Search this board for reviews. You´ll find lots of them for all three of the mentioned companies.

steamboats

Viking has some negative reviews on here. Do a search for that information.There has ben complaints regarding the way they handle problems and their customer service dept.

I also suggest you check out Avalon. They have some excellent reviews and I have never seen anything negative said about them. Amadagio and Avalon include wine with dinner.If you enjoy wine that might be a consideration for you.

Think about going the other direction,Budapest to Amsterdam because if the weather is not great you will cruise through it rather than having it follow you the whole way.

We are just about to book a trip on Uniworld...to Burgandy..going on the Royale..this will be our first..so, of course..I am a little nervous about the decision...does anyone have anything to say about this company??

Thanks..this message board has been great!

We are just about to book a trip on Uniworld...to Burgandy..going on the Royale..this will be our first..so, of course..I am a little nervous about the decision...does anyone have anything to say about this company??

Thanks..this message board has been great!

Our first river cruise (November 2006) was with Uniworld, on "River Countess". We were very happy with Uniworld and the ship. :)

AWED23

We will wave as we depart the Sound of Music with INTRAV....June 30-July 14, Amsterdam/Budapest....Intrav is an upscale company,[they own and operate the Clipper Ship Line]...Aimed at the American market....

We will be the couple eagerly waiting to board so please leave "our" cabin clean and give the crew a big tip to ensure they are in a good mood to deal with us "laid back" Aussies. icon10.gif

Macca

I know it is confusing. I narrowed it down to Avalon and Amadeus and Amadeus won by default when Avalon pulled their itineary for Russia.

I am very new to River Cruising (this summer will be my first). I was put off by a lot of negatives with Viking and impressed with what I heard about Amadeus.

I will report back this summer :)

Does any one of the cruise lines have "priority docking" at the ports? It would be helpful to know if one line consistently docks in town while others dock at industrial docks. We're looking at Uniworld for 2008, but are still very open to suggestions as to other lines. Thank you for your help!

Does any one of the cruise lines have "priority docking" at the ports? It would be helpful to know if one line consistently docks in town while others dock at industrial docks. We're looking at Uniworld for 2008, but are still very open to suggestions as to other lines. Thank you for your help!

From what I understand - the river boats all dock together and many times are tied up together so you often board another boat and walk through boat to boat to reach your specific boat.

mushroom,

I don´t think there´s something like "priority docking". The docking space in Passau is quite small so they buildt a new cruise center out of town for those ships departing from Passau. Those which just make a stop over still dock at the cityfront. In Vienna there´s another docking space called "Nussdorf" which is quite remote. The main dock is "Handelskai" and this one is close to the subway. I only saw the cheaper Eastern European boats dock in "Nussdorf" but not the major brands. Obviously Nussdorf is cheaper regarding docking fees and that´s a way to save money for the cruise company.

steamboats

We have been on two Grand Circle river trips and have another booked for next month from Bucharest to Amsterdam. We have enjoyed every minute and have NO negatives about this company. We have not had to cancel or change anything, and that seems to lead the litany of complaints. We even got an automatic deposit to our bank account when the price went down! The food and complimentary wine are excellent, the guides superior and the price is right!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

There is really no massive 'priority docking' of any kind on European rivers and waterways.

However, Vienna docking is often an exception. Amadeus tends to dock in Nussdorf, and so does Gate1 as opposed to other cruise lines, who are a bit more upscale and grant much more convenient (and more expensive) docking at Handelskai in Vienna with its easy subway access.

If you are focusing on Vienna as one of your highlights (and that would be definitely a thing to do), you would wish to consider this matter very carefully.

Two major river cruise lines are owned, and are thus, parts of two major travel companies: Avalon is fully owned by Globus and Uniworld is fully owned by Trafalgar. This brings a number of advantages to the potential passengers. Globus and Trafalgar are developing specially designed bus tours to conveniently pre- or post- match their respective cruises. Plus, double bookings tend to bring in an additional bonus, free airport transfers, etc..

Furthermore, if anything starts going wrong, large corporations with very solid financial grounding tend to be forthcoming vs. their passengers and very protective of their general reputation much to the benefit of the travelling public. Small cruise lines lacking a massive financial back up simply cannot afford the expenditure.

If given the comparable choice, I'd never fail to include that extra layer of safety into my planning.

EURiverCruiser

We were on an Avalon cruise a couple of years ago and docked at Nussdorf. It was a very short walk to reach tram 19 which went to the heart of the city. It could not have been more convienent and Nussdorf was nice to walk around in.

We took Uniworld last April. When we were picked up at the airport we were told that the boat was broken. We stayed on the boat for three night and four days. Every day we had great bus tours as the boat was still broken. The bar was free the whole time. On the third night we were told that the boat couldn't be fixed. We were given a full refund, and a choice of going home or staying in Germany for the rest of the week on our own. We were also given 1/2 off on any Uniworld trip in the next year. We are going on a four week cruise from the Black Sea to Amsterdam in June. My point is that Uniworld really made the best of a very bad situation. I say go with Uniworld. PH

We were on an Avalon cruise a couple of years ago and docked at Nussdorf. It was a very short walk to reach tram 19 which went to the heart of the city. It could not have been more convienent and Nussdorf was nice to walk around in.

I beg to differ on this one.

Avalon ships have been docking at Handelskai ever since the very first Avalon (MS Artistry) Cruise in spring 2004.

Indeed, during the season of 2004, Avalon Waterways had a business alliance with Amadeus Waterways and you were able to book cruises on MS AMADEUS Symphony (no more serving Amadeus Waterways) through Avalon or MS Artistry through Amadeus Waterways and v.v. .

It was only the MS AMADEUS Symphony (owned by Dr. Lüftner Cruises) that docked in Nussdorf, simply because Dr. Lüftner owns docks in Nussdorf.

I believe that you may have booked a cruise on MS AMADEUS Symphony via Avalon Waterways and thus, really ended aboard the Symphony, which duly docked in Nussdorf.

Another little correction: The streetcar "D" takes you from Nussdorf to downtown Vienna. There is no tram 19 in Vienna and there has never been one either. (From someone who has been living here for the last 20 years.)

EURiver Cruiser

This was great to know..we are going on Uniworld...and..I am feeling better and better about our choice..we took the post cruise package in Paris...so, our vacation will continue..thanks for all the great information..these boards are so helpful.

Tina

Here´s a link on google maps for the Nussdorf dock

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de&q=nu%C3%9Fdorf+wien&sll=50.092393,10.195313&sspn=17.700572,40.869141&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=48.268462,16.363546&spn=0.004478,0.013497&t=h&om=1

If you´re searching for this location on google earth there´s also a photo available showing the promenade road along the Danube river with the river cruise ships in the background.

According to the website of the Vieanna public transportation there´s the tram line D and a suburban train S40 with a stop at Nussdorf. The tram ride to the downtown area should be about 25 min or you change to the subway which is a bit out of walking distance (as far as I can see on the maps).

And here´s a link to the Vienna dock at Handelskai. The ships (you can see only 4 ships left of the bridge Reichsbruecke) are docking to the left and right side of the bridge

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de&q=nu%C3%9Fdorf+wien&sll=50.092393,10.195313&sspn=17.700572,40.869141&layer=&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z=16&ll=48.226517,16.405785&spn=0.008963,0.026994

The subway stop is called Vorgartenstrasse and it´s right at the lower foot of the bridge close the sign on the map "B8".

steamboats

Indeed, during the season of 2004, Avalon Waterways had a business alliance with Amadeus Waterways and you were able to book cruises on MS AMADEUS Symphony (no more serving Amadeus Waterways) through Avalon or MS Artistry through Amadeus Waterways and v.v. .

Do you know any history between this business aliance and why they no longer have it? I am just curious. The two lines seems very similiar..

Archived