Whats the latest with Labadee?

If you were spending a week in the forests in a malaria infested area, I'd be concerned. But spending several hours in a beach location, where mosquitos aren't a major problem (because of the sea breeze) wouldn't faze me. If you're concerned, bring mosquito repellant!

If there were a serious problem and the cruiseline wasn't stopping there, you wouldn't have any trouble finding out that information. (And if there was a serious problem, you can be assured that the cruiseline wouldn't stop there) There would be a plethora of posts on the topic. As others have said, there little or no reason for concern. Plan on spending a wonderfully relaxing day in Labadee.:)

When I was in High School I did 3 months of Missionary work in Haiti and they made us take malaria pills for 2 months prior and then while we were there. I would think if the cruise line DID decide to stop there they would at least let passengers know they should immuninize. Since they haven't I would think it was safe. Is was more during hurricane season:eek: they were so concerned about us, not sure why?

Cyndi

went looking around google...

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/caribean.htm#malariarisk

"Malaria Risk by Country

Haiti: All areas, except no risk in the cruise port of Labadee (Labadie)."

From this site (http://www.discoverhaiti.com/sights_labadie_092000.htm ) I found that Labadie is "leased" by RCCL? Thought that was interesting. Is that how they've kept malaria out, b/c they control it (meaning, I would imagine, they spray for mosquitoes)?

Interesting...

Come to think of it I bet they do spray for mosquitos. When I heard the cruise line was going to Haiti I have to admit I was a little surprised. It is the poorest country you could even imagine. When I was there the smell was so bad I had never even smelled anything that bad in America. I was in a mountain village but there were dead babies :( in the gutters etc. It was AWful! I was supposed to leave for college the summer after I got back but had culture shock so bad that I took a semester off when I returned back to the states.

THANK GOODNESS those areas are NOT where the ships go though!

You may be going to "Haitii" but thats the only connection to Labadee. Labadee is like being on a deserted island and from what I understand the public of Haiti is not given access to this area. You only see paradise. Just sit back and enjoy the beauty and the attractions that Labadee gives you. Don't miss it.

The public of Haiti is not allowed across the fences. They are high fences on the side of the mountains and the guards make sure that Labadee is safe. Unless you try to climb the hill you will not see them.

The cruise lines did stop going to Labadee during the riots in Haiti a few years ago. They would surely not go there if there was an outbreak. That could cost the company millions.

When I was in High School I did 3 months of Missionary work in Haiti and they made us take malaria pills for 2 months prior and then while we were there. I would think if the cruise line DID decide to stop there they would at least let passengers know they should immuninize. Since they haven't I would think it was safe. Is was more during hurricane season:eek: they were so concerned about us, not sure why?

Cyndi

The CDC site will give you immunization information based on your travel plans.

You may be going to "Haitii" but thats the only connection to Labadee. Labadee is like being on a deserted island and from what I understand the public of Haiti is not given access to this area. You only see paradise. Just sit back and enjoy the beauty and the attractions that Labadee gives you. Don't miss it.

I never quite looked at being on Labadee with 3000 other people as being on a deserted island. And if you go anywhere near the fence you will see plently of traffic on the road as well as locals walking.

What I found really cool was looking at Labadee from the ship after the last tender returned. The place goes from crawling with people to truly looking deserted.

While we're on the Haiti subject, Any of you guys been on the Private Island Tour in Haiti?? Is it nice, worth the money etc. How long. We're cruising NOS for our anniversary in three weeks and I was thinking about booking it.

We'd LOVE more information on this Private Island Tour as well -- Malfini Beach!

I never quite looked at being on Labadee with 3000 other people as being on a deserted island. And if you go anywhere near the fence you will see plently of traffic on the road as well as locals walking.

What I found really cool was looking at Labadee from the ship after the last tender returned. The place goes from crawling with people to truly looking deserted.

Crawling with people is relative. If 3000 got off the ship (which is unlikely), my guess is that fewer than a thousand of them go more than a hundred yards or so from the tender. We went to the further beaches and it was very uncrowded. Our waiter told us most of the people get off the tender and grab the first chair they see. That turned out to be true. At that first beach, there were so many people on floating mats you could barely see the water. The further beaches were much better for escaping the hoardes.

Crawling with people is relative. If 3000 got off the ship (which is unlikely), my guess is that fewer than a thousand of them go more than a hundred yards or so from the tender. We went to the further beaches and it was very uncrowded. Our waiter told us most of the people get off the tender and grab the first chair they see. That turned out to be true. At that first beach, there were so many people on floating mats you could barely see the water. The further beaches were much better for escaping the hoardes.

Great pictures! I am looking forward to St. Thomas and St. Maartin in June! Thanks for posting the link to your fantastic photo albums! You really did a great job with the rooms, the ships and the ports! :)

Yes, there's a nice chain link fence that keeps out all the mosquitos.

:D :D :D

I laughed when I saw that fence that was to seperate us from that real world out there....

I did like it there...didn't come across any mosquitos...was there in Dec.

Isn't malaria also a functon of the level of water sanitation?

1000 or 3000 people, my point is that it is far from a deserted island.

Malaria has nothing to do with water sanitation and everything to do with mosquitos carrying the organism.

Archived