Which category to book on Regent Voyager?

poss

I've looked at the deck plans in the brochure, but I'm not sure how to interpret them. I know we want to be mid-ship, but why does the price go up as the decks go up? In what way is category F better than category G, for instance? We were on Voyager once before, and we were on G-- and loved it. One thing I do remember is that some of the decks had different configurations where the cabins were. I.e. some halls seemed more cramped between the rooms; others seemed more pleasant to stroll along. I wish I could remember these difference more clearly, but I don't; I just remember being very pleased with our cabin and the halls. But the cruise we may decide we want has no availability in G, so we'd have to pay extra for F. And I fear we might not even like it as much! I know this is sort of a "complicated" question, but I'm hoping real Regent experts will have the patience to give me feedback. Thank you!!

We always try to get a cabin as low as possible on the ship.

"H" if availible. There is no difference in the cabins until you get a mini suite.

On both the Mariner and Voyager we have been at both ends of the ship.

Really did not make any difference to us.

I will comment that we like the front only because it puts you at the front door of Compass Rose instead of the rear entrance or you don't have to walk through Compass Rose to get to another destination on the ship. No big deal.

I have always thought it interesting that the higher up you go the more money it costs when the best "ride" is as low as you can get aboard the ship. I do realize that Regent is different than other cruise lines. On them, (and the Regent Navigator, and Paul Gauguin), the higher up you go the fancier and larger the cabins get but not on Voyager and Mariner.

Poss, there's no reason to book anything higher, unless you're paying for a larger cabin. We had a G last year, deck 6 mid-ship, and were very happy. Next December we have an F booked, but that's only because there were no G's available, and I didn't want to risk a guarantee. I have been told to avoid the H's.

Poss,

The only thing you should keep in mind is : do not book a cabin on the back. You might encounter a vibration problem. I agree, Cat. G in the center is very nice and convenient. But if this is not available , you should have no qualms about booking an F midship on deck 7. I would'nt accept an F on the back of Deck 8. The cabins are all the same unless you go to Cat. B or higher.

Usually the price difference between G and F is minimal.

Much appreciate the feedback! I'm still wondering, though, about the difference in what the hallways are like on deck 6 and 7. They were just fine on our previous deck 6, but both my husband and I remember strolling the halls of one of the other decks and thinking, gee, glad we're not on that deck-- they somehow seemed more claustrophobic. Maybe I should just book the cruise where our deck 6 category (G) is still available. It'd be Sept 22. BUT (as I noted on another post): That SEVEN night cruise is just about as expensive as the Sept 12 TEN night cruise. (Of course for Sept 12, we'd need to purchase F category, so would lose some of the "savings" there.) Ah, decisions!

With all due respect, I don't think you should made your decision about a cruise based on the type of hallway where the cabin is situated! I don't recall the hallways on deck 7 but I can't recall EVER hearing anybody talk about them one way or another. IMO they should be of no consequence.

I can see having a preference, all things being equal, but I wouldn't let that dictate what cruise makes sense.

Poss,

The only thing you should keep in mind is : do not book a cabin on the back. You might encounter a vibration problem. I agree, Cat. G in the center is very nice and convenient. But if this is not available , you should have no qualms about booking an F midship on deck 7. I would'nt accept an F on the back of Deck 8. The cabins are all the same unless you go to Cat. B or higher.

Usually the price difference between G and F is minimal.

Cruiseluv - I've read differing opinions on the severity of vibration on Voyager Aft suites. Have you personally experienced a F cabin on the back of Deck 8? If so is it a mild vibration (ie 'magic fingers') or how would you describe it?

Thanks!

Poss,

"The only thing you should keep in mind is : do not book a cabin on the back. You might encounter a vibration problem.... I would'nt accept an F on the back of Deck 8."

Normally I agree, but I think it depends a lot on what waters you are sailing. We were in an F cabin at the rear of Deck 8 on Voyager, and loved it; this was a Baltic cruise, so it was like sailing on a sheet of glass.

Much appreciate the feedback! I'm still wondering, though, about the difference in what the hallways are like on deck 6 and 7. They were just fine on our previous deck 6, but both my husband and I remember strolling the halls of one of the other decks and thinking, gee, glad we're not on that deck-- they somehow seemed more claustrophobic. Maybe I should just book the cruise where our deck 6 category (G) is still available. It'd be Sept 22. BUT (as I noted on another post): That SEVEN night cruise is just about as expensive as the Sept 12 TEN night cruise. (Of course for Sept 12, we'd need to purchase F category, so would lose some of the "savings" there.) Ah, decisions!

First if you have a good TA they will help you with those decisions. I know ours has never steered us wrong, even telling us why we would or would not like a certain cabin.

We were on deck 7 (suite 746) on the New Years cruise. I didn't see any difference in walking the halls on deck 6 or deck 7. In fact we requested deck 7 so we'd be able to have an unobstructed view from our balcony for photography and sitting. (This is where the good TA comes in to tell you which rooms are better.)

Normally I agree, but I think it depends a lot on what waters you are sailing. We were in an F cabin at the rear of Deck 8 on Voyager, and loved it; this was a Baltic cruise, so it was like sailing on a sheet of glass.

Linda, the Voyager cruise where I had the bad experience was also a Baltic cruise, so it's not a good idea to generalize even depending on the waters you are sailing. It's a personal tolerance thing as well.

Ship sells from bottom up for the same area of the ship. For Voyager, I like the G cabins, as the least expensive are at the rear of the ship. Like others, I prefer low and midship, not only for less movement, but less time in elevators!

Archived