Carnival Names New 130,000-Ton Superliners 'Carnival Dream' and 'Carnival Magic

OhioJeff

Too bad Carnival could not be more original with the names. There is already a DISNEY MAGIC and NORWEGIAN DREAM. It seems so many cruise companies use the same ship name and just put their brand name in front of it.

I also wonder if these new ships will truly be a new design, or just another derivative of the Destiny/Conquest Class? Every time Carnival makes a slight change to an existing design, they call it something completely new even when it really isn't. The Destiny/Conquest Class got it's start over 10 years ago and it's really time for something new.

I am a bit concerned at how crowded these new ships will be. 130,000 gt with 3652 passengers equals a space ratio of 35.6. Not so great when compared to other new ships, even existing ships in the Carnival fleet.

By comparison, the FREEDOM OF THE SEAS actually carries 18 fewer passengers but at 160,000 gt has a very respectable space ratio of 44.0.

I hope these new ships don't turn out to be cattle call duds.

Ernie

If you look at ship names across lines, there are MANY repeats... it's not just Carnival... Many cities also have the same street names as other cities, but it doesn't really matter as you will only be living on one at a time :D I truly could care less, the name of the ship isn't what attracts me to it...

I don't think they said it would be a completely new design?? I can't remember the press release because it was so long ago... but I thought it was loosely based on the Conquest class (or even another ship from a different line? I really can't remember!!! LOL!) Either way, I'll cruise on them... still not TOO big yet... but I think that is where I'll draw the line.

Wow! Those are huge.

I wonder what type of amenities they will have. I am thinking RCCL-type stuff like ice-skating rink, rock wall, etc. I will be excited to find out more.

Not as big as RCCL Ultra Liners, at a whopping 160,000 Gross Tons :confused: You will to plan your embarkation and disembarkation as it could take 4 hours to board lol.

Fred

Who the Heck is coming up with these freakin names anyways??? They need to post something in the Currents Magazine so we the Consumers can pick the next name :mad:

How about for starters:

The Carnival Lets all go out and have a great old party !!! :D

or

The Carnival Turn this damn ship around we are not done parting yet !!!

Next?

I would like an area that it totally and completely for adults. One that you have to have use a S&S card to get into and it would flag those under 21 and prevent them from entering.

Im sure they will add something gimmicky to the ships...maybe multiple self leveling pool tables a and bowling alley or full court basketball..

I would like to see them use the public space in a different way. Too often many of the bars are empty, which is nice if you want to go there with a few of your friends and have the place to yourself.

Seems like they could figure a way to have something going on in all of them that would attract people. I would love to see them have a Japanese restaurant where they cook the food right in from of you. But, what do I know:p

I do know I dont want Carnival's new ships to remodel themselves to resemble Royal.

Who the Heck is coming up with these freakin names anyways??? They need to post something in the Currents Magazine so we the Consumers can pick the next name :mad:

How about selling naming rights for cruise ships lilke they do for stadiums?

Actually I think it would be cool to have a new Mardi Gras, If they were to place an order for a ship right now it prob wouln't be ready until 2012 which would be Carnival's 40th anniv. Since they broke the orig Mardi Gras in 2004 I don't think anyone is carrying that name right now.

Actually I think it would be cool to have a new Mardi Gras, If they were to place an order for a ship right now it prob wouln't be ready until 2012 which would be Carnival's 40th anniv.

I agree. I would love to see Carnival's "classic" names make a revival.

MARDI GRAS

CARNIVALE

FESTIVALE

TROPICALE

These were great names IMO. The ships were old but they were the ultimate in fun and made Carnival what it is today.

Ernie

Not as big as RCCL Ultra Liners, at a whopping 160,000 Gross Tons :confused: You will to plan your embarkation and disembarkation as it could take 4 hours to board lol.

Fred

Fred thank God for Platinum. Its going to be some wait to check in everyone.

Too bad they didn't sponsor a "name the ship" contest or sweepstakes. It would have brought more interest to the ships.

Didn't they do this years ago (maybe 20?). I would be interested in finding out how they came up with the names on all ships. They must have a "meaning".

I do wish they would follow RCCL's lead with a real Adult Only Solarium.

( Not a pool underneath the kiddie pool or another deck that has stairs that invite the under age invasion.)

This is one area that RCCL has the advantage. Instead of an "arena" , they should turn that into an adult haven!

Having sailed both CCL and RCCL numerous times, I wonder why all the negativity toward the RCCL enhancements.

The ice skating is absolutely exceptional. The shows are top notch. What a delight to see a triple jump perfectly executed on a moving ship!

I would also love to see a Royal Promenade on a Carnival ship.

RCCL needs to learn from CCL how to make a good quality pizza and how to give its pax a larger sized cabin.

Well, in the same way, CCL can learn from RCCL how to provide a better customer experience and a truly wonderful repeat passenger program!

[quote name='LHP']They should have used names like

Carnival Ocean
Carnival Wave
Carnival Tide
Carnival Surf

And each ship would be required to have a lazy river that floats by many (many) bars!!!![/quote]
OK, now I [B]really like[/B] this idea! But I'm wondering: would there be a problem with "tube hogs" (as in the tubes you float on down the lazy river)? :confused: Can't you see it: dozens and dozens of empty tubes floating except for a towel draped over them? :D

[quote name='joepeka']OK, now I [B]really like[/B] this idea! But I'm wondering: would there be a problem with "tube hogs" (as in the tubes you float on down the lazy river)? :confused: Can't you see it: dozens and dozens of empty tubes floating except for a towel draped over them? :D[/QUOTE]

This is hilarious!!! :D

Archived