Another Farewell

Ma Bell

Hey Joan, I value your opinion. you give out some very helpful and useful information. Please don't get caught up in the political give and take of that stupid thread.

Bill

Obviously there are only certain opinions wanted on these boards and mine doesn't seem to be one of them so I'll say goodbye. Good sailing to all.

I just started a thread that calls for the boards to be better regulated - however I am sure that it will be pulled as apparently only certain view points are wanted here. I am sure we will get a generic response - similar to Ducks that got pulled yesterday - but it will be inaccurate as there are many topics on this board that have nothing to do with cruising. Very interesting and I hope something is done about it!

I value your opinion and advise.

Take the board members with a grain of salt. I was slammed once and my feelings were hurt but I didn't let them know it. I just went on doing my own thing. Life is too short to give others control and power over your life.

Best Wishes,

KAren

• Administrators

I'm assuming the "Shut Out" message everyone is referring to is actually a bit longer than that....

When something is no longer accessible to registered users, an error message is shown, indicating that the administrations are no longer allowing access...blah blah blah.

The message does use the word "you"....which appears folks are taking personally. Don't. It isn't directed at any one person individually.....but anyone who tries to access an inaccessible posting.

I'm pretty sure I can tweak the wording of that message.

PS: One thing I try to do personally when replying on the boards to anything is to not use the word YOU at all....because so many people think I'm speaking directly to THEM. It is a little tip I learned a long long time ago, when first monitoring chat rooms and boards on AOL, from someone I looked up to as a mentor -- try composing responses without using the word "YOU" in them. Or go back and rephrase without that word. Works.

Laura

Dont leave MA,, every good forum has GOOD opinions.... And I know you have been known to been honest with me,, but hey that is what makes an opinion an OPINION.....:D YOURS and MINE......

It seems to me that a thread can be pulled for any of several reasons. Off-topic being a minor one for the most part. I know I see some threads that move into areas where the posts are getting extremely rude, if not abusive. I suspect that's what has happened lately. Keep in mind that what one person might consider cute sarcasm can be really devastating to someone else. And I don't think the statement "just get over it" should ever apply when someone gets hurt. Maybe the person who made the comments should just get over being rude.

While I truly hate censorship (and don't get me started on the tighter rules on talking about experience with TA's), some monitoring of out-of-line responses to others does need to be done. I give Laura and the hosts a lot of credit for trying to walk the tight line between keeping this a relatively civil place while allowing the exchange of information and ideas/opinions.

I've gotten similar messages when I go back to a thread that I never even posted on so I suspect Laura's comment is on point. Ma Bell isn't being singled out, it's just a thread she posted to went off-center. If Laura had been upset with her, I imagine she would have said so directly. At least I would hope so. If I get out of line, I expect to at least be warned once.

Thanks to all of you. I guess I was mistaken that this was aimed at me personally. I think Laura was right that they need to reword the message because it does use the word "you" which makes one think it is directed at him or her. This board should be informative and fun and should also include discussion as long as it doesn't go to extremes. No one is forced to read a particular thread either, so the moderators need to have a little perspective as well. I know they are trying their best, but there must be a better message that could be communicated.

Don't allow your feelings to be hurt...afterall these are message boards! Don't take it so seriously---it's not like your boss called you into the office and fired you--it's a written thing on the internet! That is what makes mesage boards so great, you can speak your mind and no one knows who you are. So feel free...if it gets censored - oh well!

I have had things censored and have been flamed for certain views---but who cares? It's not like you are standing in front of people giving a speech and having them throw cabbages at you:)

We're all glad you have returned, Ma. I too have "surface" feelings and have a hard time when I get slammed, but realize these people don't really know the real me, and as my DH tells me, I'm a pretty neat lady. Bet you are too.:D

Garry

glad to have ya back ma

however all is not well in mudville!!!! i understand that my thread was not cruise related and was pulled. what i need clarification on is how does a thread about dental work live on. i am not calling for the dimise of that thread. frankly i feel if any thread generates interests from the posters and receives responses LET IT LIVE. but if the administrators of these boards are saying if the thread is not cruise related it has to go then why are they being selective? sure some threads may slip thru the cracks but it just seems that certain posters are being targeted. i hope this post lives long enough for someone to read it

Duck - I find myself again agreeing with you - it is as if certain people or certain opinions are being censored and that is where it becomes inappropriate. I would not be upset if all OT posts were taken down but the hosts should not be subjective about which they decide to leave up and or take down.

Hi Ma:) ...glad you are staying!

Kathleen, for some people it is easier said than done...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Don't allow your feelings to be hurt....after all these are message boards"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people are more sensative than others....while other folks flame in a heartbeat. We are all so different.

You are correct, these are message boards...but there are real people behind the keyboards.....

I can understand Ma feeling badly...it has happened to me...not necessarily on this forum but on the internet. And even though we cannot see each other sometimes feelings tend to get hurt. So, yes the internet is a great thing...but just remember...someone is on the other end.....

Ma, hopefully Laura's explanation has helped all of us:).

Archived